Home Sports Talk
Options

Biggest individual choke job in sports history.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2019 4:00PM in Sports Talk

Jackie Smith for the Cowboys in the Super Bowl against the Steelers.

There are plenty more, but this one came to mind first.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok that’s just plain mean :#:Do:)

m

( I like it )

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2019 4:04PM

Still gives me nightmares

m

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8Qj91T3o0

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckner, Smith and Norwood are tough to top.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Still gives me nightmares

m

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8Qj91T3o0

Mark you beat me to it

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 4:11PM

84 French Open final. McEnroe blew a 2 set lead.
    Greg Norman 1996 Masters

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Falcons vs Pats in the Super Bowl.

Hou vs Buffalo up 35-3 at the half in the playoffs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Peyton Manning in SB XLVIII. Was the season MVP after throwing 55tds on the highest scoring offense in NFL history,then between a pick six & a safety,his offense gave up as much as they scored. Eight points.

• Options

The Denver CB who completely blew the coverage on that stupid lucky Joe Flacco TD pass to send the Ravens to the Super Bowl, or AFC Chanpionship game can’t remember which but I remember that idiot CB blowing that play

• Options

If you want to talk teams then my beloved 2007 Pats Choked. Straight up 🤬

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donnie Moore '86 ALCS.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Would Eugene Robinson getting popped for soliciting a prostitute the night before the Super Bowl count or does that belong in an entirely different choke job thread? ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Romo:

Too many to list...………………...

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I would hardly call that a choke. That was just a team that matched up well with them. Truth be told, we maybe could have ended that streak in the regular season, as could have Baltimore if memory serves.

The 2004 Yankees, howsoever, would be a great (and sad) example...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@perkdog said:

I would hardly call that a choke. That was just a team that matched up well with them. Truth be told, we maybe could have ended that streak in the regular season, as could have Baltimore if memory serves.

The 2004 Yankees, howsoever, would be a great (and sad) example...

Your right about the Giants and Baltimore regular season games but it is what it is, going all the way to the Super Bowl and getting beat is definitely choking if you ask me. I definitely agree about the 2004 Yankees for sure.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2019 5:50PM

Red Sox 2011 with an 11? Game lead at the start of September I think and blowing it with too much fried chicken and beer in the clubhouse because Francona was a complete wimp

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Would Eugene Robinson getting popped for soliciting a prostitute the night before the Super Bowl count or does that belong in an entirely different choke job thread? ;)

That’s a different kind of job he was after

m

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris Webber - time-out

Thread over.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited January 21, 2019 5:59PM

Tim I raise. Pete Carrol outcoaching himself in the Super Bowl

• Options

1998 NFC Championship

15-1 Vikings

Gary Anderson 46 straight field goals

Trip to the Super Bowl on the line

39 yard field goal indoors to win it

No good

Falcons win in OT

m

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

2004 ALCS. Yankees blew a 3-0 series lead.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    1998 NFC Championship

15-1 Vikings

No good

Falcons win in OT

m

Take your pick of that one or the one 3 years ago against the Seahawks. Easier FG completely shanked it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Ernest Byner Fumble 🏈

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:
    1998 NFC Championship

15-1 Vikings

No good

Falcons win in OT

m

Take your pick of that one or the one 3 years ago against the Seahawks. Easier FG completely shanked it.

That was bad but I gave the laces in a little slack. I can’t even watch that replay

m

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in '> @Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:

That’s a different kind of job he was after

m

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Chris Webber - time-out

Thread over.

Terrible move but Wolverines were not like to win the game either way.

Not the biggest but Bird's steal comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/Wp_gpLSUMRI

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

HAVLICEK STOLE THE BALL! HAVLICEK STOLE THE BALL!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mariano Rivera

Game 7, 2001 World Series

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Scott Norwood has to be up there.

Missing a 47yd field goal in outdoor conditions is not a choke.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Falcons vs Pats in the Super Bowl.

Hou vs Buffalo up 35-3 at the half in the playoffs.

Not sure those count as "individual".

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe not the biggest, but...Neftali Feliz, game 6, 2011 WS.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

Yeah, your outdoor conditions in this case were 71 degrees & clear skies in Tampa. Dude missed what would have been the biggest kick in NFL history and now has a catch phrase for a name, WIDE RIGHT.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is NO question that Bill Buckner takes this award...hand down! Up 5-3 in the 10th inning in Fenway Park, Red Sox Nation on the verge of finally getting a WS win after an eternity of waiting...Then comes the dribbler by Mookie Wilson, which almost any grandmother could catch...oh NOOOOO the wicket shot, game ovah.

Of course Rocket was on the mound and developed a blister, and was replaced by Schiraldi, then the wild pitch by Bob Stanley...game tied. The rest is sad Red Sox history.

Buckner was hounded without mercy and retired in 1988 after trades to the Angels and then the Royals. Ever the forgiving fan faithful, Buckner returned to Fenway Park in 1990 to a standing ovation, his painful penance having been served in spades.

He moved to Idaho and developed malls and housing complexes, one being named Fenway Park.

I always wondered why they didn't DH Buckner and put Henderson at first base for that game.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

Yeah, your outdoor conditions in this case were 71 degrees & clear skies in Tampa. Dude missed what would have been the biggest kick in NFL history and now has a catch phrase for a name, WIDE RIGHT.

Don’t even bother Erik, Tabe’s sole purpose here has always been to be argumentative.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    There is NO question that Bill Buckner takes this award...hand down! Up 5-3 in the 10th inning in Fenway Park, Red Sox Nation on the verge of finally getting a WS win after an eternity of waiting...Then comes the dribbler by Mookie Wilson, which almost any grandmother could catch...oh NOOOOO the wicket shot, game ovah.

Of course Rocket was on the mound and developed a blister, and was replaced by Schiraldi, then the wild pitch by Bob Stanley...game tied. The rest is sad Red Sox history.

Buckner was hounded without mercy and retired in 1988 after trades to the Angels and then the Royals. Ever the forgiving fan faithful, Buckner returned to Fenway Park in 1990 to a standing ovation, his painful penance having been served in spades.

He moved to Idaho and developed malls and housing complexes, one being named Fenway Park.

I always wondered why they didn't DH Buckner and put Henderson at first base for that game.

Just another case of a manager being completely incompetent

• Options
    edited January 22, 2019 11:05AM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

Don’t even bother Erik, Tabe’s sole purpose here has always been to be argumentative.

Super Bowl is certainly a substantial enough venue to host an all time choke, but a 47 yard field goal will never qualify. 30-35 yards, sure, but nothing routine in a near 50 yard attempt so Norwood earns no award.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2019 11:38AM

@Coinstartled said: 47 yard field goals are in the 50-50 success range

The top 32 kickers in the NFL this season had a 81% success rate from 40-49 yards and a 66% success rate from 50+ yards .

47 yards exact must be brutal.

• Options

Norwood's longest ever was 49 yards. This would have been his longest ever on grass. No choke...but keep trying.

https://youtu.be/UT0r8wBL4QU

• Options
    edited January 22, 2019 11:59AM

Thanks but I've seen that FG attempt about a thousand times since he missed it. Barely any wind at all and what there was blowing was with the kick. The guy was a top 10 kicker in the NFL then was out of football a year later. Complete choke job.

As Wiki says it: "After the Bills waived him, Norwood initially returned home to Northern Virginia and disappeared completely from the public eye for a number of years."
    I feel sorry for the guy but he 100% blew it in the biggest moment of his career and that last statement pretty much proves he felt the same himself.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

You have me confused with someone else.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

Your memory is a little faulty here.

The game took place in Shea Stadium, not Fenway.

Also, it's a little unclear from the way you worded it, but the game was already tied when Mookie hit his grounder.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

Didn't say they were difficult conditions :)

It was absolutely a makeable kick but also absolutely not a gimme.

Equal blame goes to the BIlls offense for basically doing nothing for most of the game, scoring just 7 points after halfway through the 2nd quarter. Or failing to move the ball more on the final possession. Or failing to score on their previous 4th quarter possession. They had 2:16 on the last possession and only moved the ball 61 yards.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2019 12:23PM

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said: 47 yard field goals are in the 50-50 success range

The top 32 kickers in the NFL this season had a 81% success rate from 40-49 yards and a 66% success rate from 50+ yards .

47 yards exact must be brutal.

Yeah, but we're not talking about 2018, we're talking about 1990/91.

In 1990/91, NFL kickers were 140/238 from 40-49 yds - 58.8%. They were 41/91 from 50+ - 45%.

Scott Norwood that year was 5/9 from 40+ (56%) and 2/4 from 50+ (50%). He ranked 28th overall in FG% at 62.1%.

So, no, he wasn't a top 10 kicker. The NFL overall made just 73.6% of their kicks that year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1991/kicking.htm#kicking::19

• Options

Dude the Giants-Bills Super Bowl was at the end of the 1990 season not 1991,you posted the link to the following year's stats.
    That being said,i goofed as well, I thought i had clicked on 1990 FG% on the same site but hadn't. The 9th ranking i was looking at wasn't his FG% but FG attempts.

Thanks for helping point out he was an even chittier kicker than the world thought he was. ;)
    Maybe had the Bills had a better kicker they might have just blown three straight SBs instead of four.