Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 7:13AM

Every price but gold, still working on the price range table...?

Edit: 2018 still there, no 2019, yet

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 12:39PM

The prices are high 53$ for two clad half dollars, 27$ for the proof clad half,225$ for 5 ounces of silver worth about 80$ Wow! However I’m still going to try to get the set but I probably can’t because I have school so if it sells out in the first three hours I’ll have to settle for the clad half by itself.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    The prices are high 53$ for two clad half dollars, 27$ for the proof clad half,250$ for 5 ounces of silver worth about 80$ Wow! However I’m still going to try to get the set but I probably can’t because I have school so if it sells out in the first three hours I’ll have to settle for the clad half by itself.

According to the table, it's $224.95 for the 5oz.

At that price -- and an initial HHL of 5 -- I expect a first-day sellout for the 5oz.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

The set:

Chances these will survive the initial rush so the HHL is lifted?

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I probably shouldn't have given you the lol, but hey... ;)

I'm in for five. That buzz you hear around popular issues seems to be with this one. Not sure either the puck or the half set will survive 24 hours.

Not buying the stand alone clad proof, though.

• Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    THERE IT IS: https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/01/us-mint-reveals-household-limits-for-apollo-11-coins.html

United States Mint customers seeking to purchase the two lowest-mintage pieces in the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary commemorative coin program will face household limits of five of the 5-ounce silver dollars and one of the gold $5 half eagles when they go on sale Jan. 24.

According to Michael White of the U.S. Mint Office of Corporate Communication, the household limit for the 1.5-inch silver dollar will be 100 pieces, and no limit will be imposed on purchases of the copper-nickel clad half dollar.

A limit of five sets per household is also in place for the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Half Dollar set. The set will contain two coins — the Proof 2019-S Apollo 11 half dollar and an Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019 Kennedy half dollar. The product will be limited to an edition of 100,000 sets.

All household limits will apply for the first 24 hours of the sales and will be lifted after that point should any coins remain available for purchase. According to White, “These household order limits follow a policy established in 2017.”

The U.S. Mint will also jointly market, with the Royal Australian Mint, a special set containing a U.S. Apollo 11 half dollar and an Australian 1-ounce silver $5 coin celebrating the anniversary. The Royal Australian Mint will sell the set, with the United States Mint website providing a link to Australian website.

As of Jan. 11, the Mint had not yet revealed pricing for any of the coins or sets.

@nurmaler said:
    THERE IT IS: https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/01/us-mint-reveals-household-limits-for-apollo-11-coins.html

United States Mint customers seeking to purchase the two lowest-mintage pieces in the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary commemorative coin program will face household limits of five of the 5-ounce silver dollars and one of the gold $5 half eagles when they go on sale Jan. 24.

According to Michael White of the U.S. Mint Office of Corporate Communication, the household limit for the 1.5-inch silver dollar will be 100 pieces, and no limit will be imposed on purchases of the copper-nickel clad half dollar.

A limit of five sets per household is also in place for the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Half Dollar set. The set will contain two coins — the Proof 2019-S Apollo 11 half dollar and an Enhanced Reverse Proof 2019 Kennedy half dollar. The product will be limited to an edition of 100,000 sets.

All household limits will apply for the first 24 hours of the sales and will be lifted after that point should any coins remain available for purchase. According to White, “These household order limits follow a policy established in 2017.”

The U.S. Mint will also jointly market, with the Royal Australian Mint, a special set containing a U.S. Apollo 11 half dollar and an Australian 1-ounce silver $5 coin celebrating the anniversary. The Royal Australian Mint will sell the set, with the United States Mint website providing a link to Australian website.

As of Jan. 11, the Mint had not yet revealed pricing for any of the coins or sets.

@nurmaler said:

@nurmaler said:

@nurmaler said:

• Options

“United States Mint customers seeking to purchase the two lowest-mintage pieces in the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary commemorative coin program will face household limits of five of the 5-ounce silver dollars and one of the gold $5 half eagles when they go on sale Jan. 24.“

Curious if that means one gold in total or one each of the proof and uncirculated?

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Am I missing something, I thought proofs were minted in San Francisco or West Point, this shows they will come from Philadelphia.

• Options

@Falk25 said:
    “United States Mint customers seeking to purchase the two lowest-mintage pieces in the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary commemorative coin program will face household limits of five of the 5-ounce silver dollars and one of the gold $5 half eagles when they go on sale Jan. 24.“

Curious if that means one gold in total or one each of the proof and uncirculated?

Suspect it is one per item number. $5 Gold: Proof - 19CA and Unc - 19CB

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

That’s the answer I was hoping for. Just looking for one of each item. Thanks!

• Options

@WALLE said:
    Am I missing something, I thought proofs were minted in San Francisco or West Point, this shows they will come from Philadelphia.

Proofs are just a die finish. They can be minted at any of the four Mints. A number of proofs come out of Philly, including all of the silver commemoratives. (Both proof and uncirculated.)

Some seem to do a better job than others... :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

This. One each.

• Options

@WALLE said:

Philly making proofs for everything but gold and the Kennedy set.

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I probably shouldn't have given you the lol, but hey... ;)

I'm in for five. That buzz you hear around popular issues seems to be with this one. Not sure either the puck or the half set will survive 24 hours.

Not buying the stand alone clad proof, though.

Same here, but would like a few more for family gifts for the year.

Since both of these coins are being produced by the same mint (S) it would be interesting if the reported “mint made error” occurred in this set.... domed Kennedy. LOL

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

yup, definitely need clarification here. 25,000 sales isn't many

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 3:40PM

HHL set......
    In today's Coin World
    5 - 5oz - $224
    1 - Gold - ?
    100 - Silver Dollars - Pf $54.95, Unc $52,95
    No Limit - Clad Half - Pf $27.95, Unc $25.95
    5 - Rev PF Kennedy & Pr Apollo Half Set - $53.95

• Options

@cucamongacoin said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

No clarification necessary. You can buy one of each.

And there will be 40,000 across both gold coins.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    HHL set......
    In today's Coin World
    5 - 5oz - $224
    1 - Gold - ?
    100 - Silver Dollars - Pf $54.95, Unc $52,95
    No Limit - Clad Half - Pf $27.95, Unc $25.95
    5 - Rev PF Kennedy & Pr Apollo Half Set - $53.95

See the first post in this thread. It was updated at 4am this morning...

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@cucamongacoin said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

50,000 ;)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

See the first post in this thread. It was updated at 4am this morning...

Sorry. Once again I post before reading the previous posts. One day I'll learn. (maybe not ;) )

• Options

@smokincoin said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@cucamongacoin said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Falk25 said:

50,000 ;)

Yeah. For some reason 40K gets stuck in my head. I've had to correct that more than once.

I'm blaming the snow. Yeah, that's the ticket, it was mental fatigue after having to shovel snow... :wink:

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Thank You @BackroadJunkie and @Hemispherical For the information.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, 5oz too... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much profit on this 5oz silver: ebay.com

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 2:19PM

@VanHalen said:

He is still makin $5.50 after the 10% Ebay fee. Ohhh I forgot about the Pay Pal 3% hit. Well maybe they are getting bonus bucks?

I might just wait for the after market 70's to come out. I wonder what they will go for? I guess if they do a bad job of stamping them out of the Mint. I am getting tired of the 68's. I guess I could of been worse and got a 67.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

If these are predicted for a quick sellout, why would anyone even do this?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2019 2:27PM

@grote15 said:

@VanHalen said:

The profit is in 70-grade... slab the best and dump the rest.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@grote15 said:

@VanHalen said:

The profit is in 70-grade... slab the best and dump the rest.

With a quick sellout, though, even the raw sets should sell for a much greater premium than what these are netting for the seller.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Is there a major show happening the 24th?

• Options
    edited January 16, 2019 3:20PM

Scribbles...

One of each (minus gold): $439.65

HHL and Per Order Limit (minus gold): $3002.25

Estimated with proof and unc gold (if average $1300, 2018 tables, no $5ea discount; minus $12.25 if average below $1300, should know by Wed/Thu): $436.00 + $426.00 = $862.00

Total one each (with gold) = $1,301.65

Total HHL and Per Order Limit (with gold) = $3864.25

Edit to add (16 Jan): London PM Fixed for gold at $1292.30.

• Options

@smokincoin said:

A week later...
    Long Beach Coin Expo Jan 31 - Feb 2.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@smokincoin said:

A week later...
    Long Beach Coin Expo Jan 31 - Feb 2.

Thanks.
    I was reading the old bbhof thread. Similar coin, similar mintage, different hhls though. The Baltimore show, the waiting room fiasco. Oh the horror on page 3! :lol:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/911579/who-is-in-for-the-baseball-hof-coin-edited-on-3-28-gold-sold-out-silver-and-clad-are-backordered/p1

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

Probably go after the 5 oz and gold proof first. Probably a 2 minute sellout. Dealers will be all over these.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 4:10PM

Received the flyer from the U.S. Mint in today's mail. Turns out the 5 oz silver will have a reeded edge and no hallmarks for weight or metal content anywhere on it.

The same flyer lists the "regular" silver dollar (1.50" diameter) as containing 99.9% silver. Anybody know if this 999 silver issue is a first for standard size silver dollars?

EDIT: Just read the other thread. This is a first, a 999 silver "dollar".

• Options

FWIW

For those who use Windows 10. If you have not already received the Jan 2019 cumulative update (usually occurs on patch Tuesday... second Tuesday of the month) it might be a good time to manually do the update or try and delay it outside the time of the Apollo sale. It will be hard enough with the multitude of hits on the PFSweb servers but if your own internet connection is being burdened by a mega/gigabyte Win10 download you may experience some.....frustration. My two-cents.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this also a first???...the Kennedy half is not only a reverse proof, but enhanced as well. Hasn't the mint only done one or the other?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Is this also a first???...the Kennedy half is not only a reverse proof, but enhanced as well. Hasn't the mint only done one or the other?

Are you thinking this is the sleeper set?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-half-dollar-set-19CF.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-half-dollar-set-19CF.html
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)
    Commemorative Coin Program
    $53.95

This product will be available for sale on January 24, 2019, at 12 noon (ET).

Coins minted to celebrate the first manned Moon landing
    Minted at the San Francisco Mint
    Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity

Item Number: 19CF
    Mintage Limit: 750,000 (across all half dollar products)
    Product Limit: 100,000
    Household Order Limit: 5
    DESCRIPTION
    The United States Mint is proud to present the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program to celebrate the first manned Moon landing on July 20, 1969, and the efforts of the United States space program leading up to this historic event. All coins share common designs and are curved.

The set includes one Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Half Dollar and one Kennedy Enhanced Reverse Proof Half Dollar to commemorate the enduring relationship between President Kennedy and the American space program. This product is limited to 100,000 units.

Obverse: This design features the inscriptions “MERCURY,” “GEMINI,” and “APOLLO,” separated by phases of the Moon, and a footprint on the lunar surface, which together represent the efforts of the United States space program leading up to the first manned Moon landing. Additional inscriptions include “2019,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and “LIBERTY.”

Reverse: This design features a representation of a close-up of the famous “Buzz Aldrin on the Moon” photograph taken July 20, 1969, that shows just the visor and part of the helmet of astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The reflection in Buzz Aldrin’s helmet includes astronaut Neil Armstrong, the United States flag, and the lunar lander. Inscriptions include “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “HALF DOLLAR,” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”

• Options
    edited January 16, 2019 6:22PM

@Onastone said:

Believe so. Mint has separately produced the reverse proof and the enhanced unc Kennedy’s. Would have been nice if this set was in silver.

Probably saving the silver enhanced reverse proof Kennedy for a future set of something.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 12:07AM

@Onastone said:

Didn't anyone read the original post? :smiley:

The Mint will also be issuing a special half-dollar set, with a proof clad half commem and a clad "Enhanced Reverse Proof" Kennedy half. (All commems for the past few years have been "Enhanced Proof" coins, so it's nice to see the Kennedy get the same finish.) This will be the first clad Kennedy reverse proof, so expect this to be a hot item like the silver puck.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

So unless I am losing my mind (likely), the gold coins are 1/4 oz?

• Options

@dennis1219 said:

Yes, 8.359 grams, 90% gold, 6% silver, balance copper (from mint specs).

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 8:37AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

Didn't anyone read the original post? :smiley:

The Mint will also be issuing a special half-dollar set, with a proof clad half commem and a clad "Enhanced Reverse Proof" Kennedy half. (All commems for the past few years have been "Enhanced Proof" coins, so it's nice to see the Kennedy get the same finish.) This will be the first clad Kennedy reverse proof, so expect this to be a hot item like the silver puck.

Yes but I didn't really understand that point that it will be both enhanced AND reverse. That really makes this a very special coin. I got it now. I must have skimmed over that point too quickly. Sorry Backroad, if this were a test, I wouldn't be scoring too well. This is what it's like being a teacher and having students not paying full attention! :*

• Options
  • Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Is my assumption correct? If mint indicates 50,000 across all product lines (in reference to the Appollo gold), that roughly 25,000 Uncirculated and 25,000 proof are the max mintages?

• Options
    edited January 18, 2019 6:28AM

@dennis1219 said:
    Is my assumption correct? If mint indicates 50,000 across all product lines (in reference to the Appollo gold), that roughly 25,000 Uncirculated and 25,000 proof are the max mintages?

Sorta. It's 50K across all gold products, but generally 2/3rd's or so will be proofs, 1/3rd will be uncirculated.

Proofs are just more popular. And shiney. People love shiney... :wink:

So long as I'm replying to dennis1219...

@dennis1219 said:

Yep. Darned expensive, eh?

With the same design, it'll be interesting to compare the gold coin and the puck, considering the puck has something like 12.5x the canvas of the gold coin...

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those past special Kennedy sets doing very well ? This one just doesn't float my boat...it's clad.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Are those past special Kennedy sets doing very well ? This one just doesn't float my boat...it's clad.

I have a couple, so probably not. :wink:

I don't care that it's clad, but you're paying an extra $26 for the packaging and a Kennedy. Okay, it looks like it's cool packaging and might be a nice looking Kennedy, but for another $26 they could have domed the Kennedy too...

At least I won't have to buy the stand alone clad proof...

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you have to be registered with the US Mint to order, or can you just log in and (attempt to) buy at the appointed time (giving them your address and credit card info for that one purchase)? Thank you for your response!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file