Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    "..........Some heads should roll at the mint if there isn't a moon landing date marketing push for these.........

Too obvious. Never happen.

Yep. Never happen. If they didn't advertise the BBHoF coins during the All-Star game, the Mint marketing the A11 coins in July won't happen either.

One must keep in mind that the Mint is a government entity, not a commercial organization. Normal rules do not apply.

I still wonder if it's illegal for a government organization to pay for advertising. Which is why most government programs are advertised on PSA's...

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a few ads in the past for mint items.

1999, State Quarters with the Muppets - https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_Mint
    2002 - https://usmint.gov/news/press-releases/20021125-united-states-mint-launches-genuine-united-states-mint-ad-campaign
    2006 - https://coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n46a10.html

Not a consistent marketing plan to say the least.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    I remember a few ads in the past for mint items.

1999, State Quarters with the Muppets - https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_Mint
    2002 - https://usmint.gov/news/press-releases/20021125-united-states-mint-launches-genuine-united-states-mint-ad-campaign
    2006 - https://coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n46a10.html

Not a consistent marketing plan to say the least.

All right, I did a little research. The Feds spend around $900 million a year advertising, though most of these reports are a few years old. (Search engines should note which articles are behind paywalls so I wouldn't have to waste my time...) The trending articles recently is the question of commercial advertisement on .gov sites.

So they do have a history of advertising, which makes it even more odd why the Mint (who actually has a product to sell), wouldn't.

Someone should put a bug in Ryder's ear. At least about annual products, like mint/proof sets and commemoratives. But it's also a two edged sword. I wonder how things like the Rocketship sales would have differed if advertised...

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint advertising.

Looked up the Mint’s annual report for 2002 and 2003 based on @Kudbegud ‘s post.

The Mint actually had a separate line item in the budget for advertising. Was not much, $12.1 and $16.2 million.

Sidetracked by the 2018 annual report about gold and silver.

Deep storage
    Gold: 245,262,897 toz
    Silver: 7,075,171 toz

Working stock:
    Gold: 2,783,219 toz
    Silver: 8,924,829 toz

Precious metals gets my attention. :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Mint advertising.

Looked up the Mint’s annual report for 2002 and 2003 based on @Kudbegud ‘s post.

The Mint actually had a separate line item in the budget for advertising. Was not much, $12.1 and $16.2 million.

Wasn't that for the mailings they used to send out? (And they used to send out a lot...)

Sidetracked by the 2018 annual report about gold and silver.

Deep storage
    Gold: 245,262,897 toz
    Silver: 7,075,171 toz

Working stock:
    Gold: 2,783,219 toz
    Silver: 8,924,829 toz

Precious metals gets my attention. :D

Yeah, that's if the gold is real...

viewzone.com: Gold Bars in Fort Knox Are Fake!

:D

• Options

Yes, included the mailings. I was trying to find the details in the 2018 report but was sidetracked.

Which led me to lookup current gold spot $.

Which led me to... gotta get some! B)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

Wasn't that for the mailings they used to send out? (And they used to send out a lot...)

Yes, they used to send more when there was a mail order form included. I still get some mailings but only internet and phone ordering any more. Usually I get any mail from them way after the release date. They should move the initial mailing up a couple weeks if they expect any response at all. Either they don't have a marketing plan or they are oblivious to the power of relevant advertising in the proper venue.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Re: the October backorders:

Order Update

Dear Mint Customer:

Thank you again for your order of an Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar. This product is currently on backorder.

Based on our current production schedule, we expect to have additional inventory available to complete your order on June 10th.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work closely with our blank supplier to produce these unique curved coins to our stringent quality standards. While we regret the continued delay, this special coin is sure to be a standout addition to your collection and a timeless reminder of the historic 1969 Moon landing.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

Order Update

Dear Mint Customer:

Thank you again for your order of an Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar. This product is currently on backorder.

Based on our current production schedule, we expect to have additional inventory available to complete your order on June 10th.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work closely with our blank supplier to produce these unique curved coins to our stringent quality standards. While we regret the continued delay, this special coin is sure to be a standout addition to your collection and a timeless reminder of the historic 1969 Moon landing.

I got the same email, but my date was June 3rd

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

Order Update

Dear Mint Customer:

I got the same email, but my date was June 3rd

I haven’t.

Order page still has it on backorder since 23 Feb (last day before price increase).

• Options
    edited April 5, 2019 10:41AM

(this was probably a duplicate post...)

• Options
    edited April 5, 2019 10:41AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I still wonder if it's illegal for a government organization to pay for advertising. Which is why most government programs are advertised on PSA's...

Huh. I was wasting time on YouTube and this popped up.

(I didn't have to respond to myself, but the opportunity was there, so... :) )

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Who is that? Not the Mighty Minters. :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Who is that? Not the Mighty Minters. :D

The YouTube channel "Lazy Game Reviews". If you were ever into early computers and computer gaming, you should check out the videos this guy produces...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I got an update on the 5oz on back order that they are making more and they should have it ready June 10th

Yup...email posted above...Some were on schedule for June 3rd

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Got my coins back from PCGS today. I wondered when both golds were stated as graded MS69. Sure enough they are.

• Options

@cruisersk1 said:
    Got my coins back from PCGS today. I wondered when both golds were stated as graded MS69. Sure enough they are.

Cool. Ebay item for sure!

LOOK! RARE ERROR! ONE OF A KIND!

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@cruisersk1 said:

Cool. Ebay item for sure!

LOOK! RARE ERROR! ONE OF A KIND!

Ouch! Give our host a call they’ll reholder for free to include shipping and insurance.

• Options

@BigA said:

@jabba said:
    I got an update on the 5oz on back order that they are making more and they should have it ready June 10th

Yup...email posted above...Some were on schedule for June 3rd

Finally got an email but stated 1 July.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is showing Aug 8

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a box of 5 Mint sealed / FS eligible Apollo pucks that I'm considering selling...just saying.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cruisersk1 said:

So many mistakes like that could be fixed if PCGS would give us our grades before they actually pack up the coins and ship them. Every time I have noticed a clear mistake like that at the time the grades come in, I promptly have called into PCGS and have been told they've already shipped. Causes so much waste in shipping back and forth and time wasted in waiting for reholdering.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I have a box of 5 Mint sealed / FS eligible Apollo pucks that I'm considering selling...just saying.

Better hurry. The price on these has already dropped considerably. I'm not sure there's any premium left.

69 FS are now under $300 and 70 FS are selling for $400 and under.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Half dollar sets were available for around 2 minutes this morning.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@fox9487 said:

Did you happen to notice how many were there?

• Options

@smokincoin No I did not notice how many available. I was just trying to get in and out with my orders.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

@fox9487 said:
    @smokincoin No I did not notice how many available. I was just trying to get in and out with my orders.

Me too. Just one order for me though. USM06603xxx

• Options
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@smokincoin said:

@fox9487 said:

Did you happen to notice how many were there?

I believe they had 12 available this morning... After checking for the Rocketships (none), I checked the Apollo Half sets and saw they had 12 available (so they might have had a couple more during the time I was checking for the Rocketship sets)

• Options

April 7 sales numbers courtesy of the US Mint. Full sales data can be found in post 3 of this thread.

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives
    DateSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseComment
    Gold$5 Gold Proof (19CA)$5 Gold Unc (19CB)BEP Print: Mission (B49296)
    3/24/201925,43524610,592488,0000Gold Price: $436/$426
    3/31/201925,59415910,616248,0000Gold Price: $436/$426
    4/7/201925,6939910,632168,0000Gold Price: $423.75/$413.75
    The second BEP Print "The Eagle Has Landed" (B49297), released March 28 sold out by subscription.
    Silver$1 Silver Proof (19CC)$1 Silver Unc (19CD)$1 5oz Silver Proof (19CH)
    3/24/2019148,4201,82749,50218161,466-6085oz on backorder
    3/31/2019149,9841,56449,68418260,092-1,3745oz on backorder
    4/7/2019151,8941,91049,97128760,038-545oz on backorder
    Clad50¢ Clad Proof (19CE)50¢ Clad Unc (19CG)50¢ Proof Half Set (19CF)
    3/24/201949,31237133,24219899,668-1Half set is CU
    3/31/201949,74643433,51126999,661-7Half set is CU
    4/7/201950,14539933,66815799,645-16Half set is CU
    Introductory prcing ended 2/25/2019

Maybe we'll actually see a positive number for the pucks next week... :smiley:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie

Thanks for these updates.

Sales of the PF and Unc $1 actually went up. Probably because it is the only thing that isn’t CU or BO. ;) (Didn’t include gold)

I’m still holding out for a puck.

• Options

Half Dollar Sets were available for about 10 minutes this morning. I grabbed a couple.

• Options

@DotStore said:
    Half Dollar Sets were available for about 10 minutes this morning. I grabbed a couple.

Cruel. That’s what I call it. Populating the website on Saturday. Was happily snoring away. :D

Did you have time to check to see the total available @DotStore?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:

Cruel. That’s what I call it. Populating the website on Saturday. Was happily snoring away. :D

They had more than 100 at 7:30. Around 7:36 I saw 98 left using the items in the cart indicator. And then 7:40 they were unavailable again.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:

They had more than 100 at 7:30. Around 7:36 I saw 98 left using the items in the cart indicator. And then 7:40 they were unavailable again.

Thanks @DotStore!

99, 645 (last weekly update)
    105 (just a guess for this AM and to round the numbers)

Leaves 250? SO is around the corner.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

Received my 5 oz puck on Thursday. I ordered at 12:30pm est on the initial ordering date. The puck is flawless as far as I can see. Very happy.

• Options

@heavymetal said:
    Received my 5 oz puck on Thursday. I ordered at 12:30pm est on the initial ordering date. The puck is flawless as far as I can see. Very happy.

Thanks @heavymetal! Means my BO might be about a month (or two) out. Ordered one right before the discount end date... maybe. :D Can’t help but laugh at this point.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:

Yes, @Hemispherical ,certainly cruel. But of course the mint did offer them for sale last Saturday 4/6. Guess I am glad I offered to work today or I might have been snoring away also. I was just a few minutes late though. Expecting the refresh page a few times and give up after a minute or so......but to keep placing orders for a good 8 minutes was unexpected.

Either everyone was sleeping in or there was much more then 105 available for sale.

Now what to do with them all.

• Options

@fox9487

Do these sets have the corrected sleeves?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @fox9487

The one's from my 4/6 order don't.

• Options

@smokincoin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @fox9487

@smokincoin

Thanks!

Seems as if there is no corrected sleeves. Has you or anyone requested after the fact? Personally, I forgot.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@smokincoin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @fox9487

@smokincoin

Thanks!

Seems as if there is no corrected sleeves. Has you or anyone requested after the fact? Personally, I forgot.

How do you request the corrected sleeve? I never received correspondence from the Mint with instructions to get a corrected sleeve.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@Hemispherical said:

@smokincoin said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @fox9487

@smokincoin

Thanks!

How do you request the corrected sleeve? I never received correspondence from the Mint with instructions to get a corrected sleeve.

It was in an article awhile ago. My understanding was that your supposed to contact PFSWeb, ask for the corrected sleeve and give them your order number. Have not tried it.

"Approximately 70,000 units were shipped before the error was discovered. Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway," the Mint said. "Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date."

http://www.coinnews.net/2019/01/29/apollo-11-half-dollar-set-packaging-contains-clerical-error/

• Options

New numbers courtesy of the US Mint. Full sales data can be found in Post 3 of this thread...

3/31/201925,59415910,616248,0000Gold Price: $436/$426
    4/14/201925,88419110,663318,0000Gold Price: $423.75/$413.75
    The second BEP Print "The Eagle Has Landed" (B49297), released March 28 sold out by subscription.
    3/31/2019149,9841,56449,68418260,092-1,3745oz on backorder
    4/14/2019153,2801,38650,18821760,115775oz on backorder
    3/31/201949,74643433,51126999,661-7Half set is CU
    4/14/201950,45931433,86319599,854209Half set is CU
    Introductory prcing ended 2/25/2019

Pucks are in the red for the first time in weeks, and 200 half-sets escaped...

• Options

Puck and set both went up! 146 sets left. Time to go SO.

Want to know when the US/RAM Apollo set is coming out. APMEX has not shown any pre-orders, yet.

Why do I mention APMEX because they are the only authorized US seller of RAM items.
    https://www.ramint.gov.au/international-distributors#North America

Heck, I let the cat out of the bag.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 7:20PM

FYI, ABC is running a special serie "1969" now!. Lots of interview & behind the scene footage too.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    FYI, ABC is running a special serie "1969" now!. Lots of interview & behind the scene footage too.

Thanks for the info @Sweetpie.

How often is the series broadcast? Weekly?

I may need to watch broadcast TV. :o

• Options

Week 13 sales data, courtesy of the US Mint. Full sales data can be found in post 3 of this thread.

4/14/201925,88419110,663318,0000Gold Price: $423.75/$413.75
    4/21/201926,00812410,680178,0000Gold Price: $423.75/$413.75
    4/14/2019153,2801,38650,18821760,115775oz on backorder
    4/21/2019154,9231,64350,42423660,143285oz on backorder
    4/14/201950,45931433,86319599,854209Half set is CU
    4/21/201950,79934034,40053799,8540Half set is CU
    Introductory pricing ended 2/25/2019

I've finally noticed I've misspelled "pricing" for the past 8 weeks.

No change in the half set. (I double checked.) Maybe it'll really be gone this time. :smile:

Note: I'll probably start posting sales data every other week. Typically, we won't see the numbers really fluctuate from now until the cows come home. (In this case, the cows will come home at the end of December.) With fewer posts, it's usefulness as an index into the thread is also gone. (See post 2 of this thread.) If you really need a week's sales data, you can always find it at the US Mint Page.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file