Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try again .... just 'remove' my back orders

@CoinPhysicist said:
    **FINALLY **after like 4 tries and failures, I got an order through. Shame the pucks are gone.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

USM06315xxx is my fastest order number.

i also do not think backorder = sellout

but, i loaded up with backordered, that way i can see what happens and cancel if i want, as i have time to decide.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Processing! What a sluggish website...I guess having thousands of people clicking on it at the same time would do that!!!!! Had my pucks by 6 minutes and gold by 8 in two separate orders. At exactly noon, the site pretty much just froze up......can you imagine the servers trying to handle all that at once??? I'm just glad I'm not waiting for "Back Order".....that is never fun even if it isn't totally sold out.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 minutes in and no sell outs on any of them

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bag was filled with 5 pucks in about 5 seconds, then...frozen. It took 9+ minutes to finally complete my order, but it did go through. CC has been hit and that's confirmation enough for me.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    50 minutes in and no sell outs on any of them

Yes. I'm not surprised. As I posted earlier, the mintages are pretty high on all of those

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Pucks are technically sold out but minorly surprised gold isn't given the mintage. Best money is quick money on the pucks while the mania persists; I predict eventually you'll be able to buy them cheap aftermarket once the fever goes away and the lemmings move on to the next hot thing.

Pucks are NOT sold out. Just not skipping till May

I know that's what it says but in my experience, "Backordered" usually means technical sell out but there's a possibility of a few available later due to expired credit card info, etc. They keep "backordered" up there to stack up enough orders to ensure a sellout.

This is not true. In the old days, they would go to wait list for the reason you state. These days they go to "currently unavailable" pending cc returns

I've seen it go both ways but no matter really. What intrigues me is that the gold, with half the mintage, isn't sold out.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Pucks are technically sold out but minorly surprised gold isn't given the mintage. Best money is quick money on the pucks while the mania persists; I predict eventually you'll be able to buy them cheap aftermarket once the fever goes away and the lemmings move on to the next hot thing.

I know that's what it says but in my experience, "Backordered" usually means technical sell out but there's a possibility of a few available later due to expired credit card info, etc. They keep "backordered" up there to stack up enough orders to ensure a sellout.

This is not true. In the old days, they would go to wait list for the reason you state. These days they go to "currently unavailable" pending cc returns

I've seen it go both ways but no matter really. What intrigues me is that the gold, with half the mintage, isn't sold out.

Its half the mintage but more orders because of the HHL

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Yes high mintages, but solid products.

I think a lot of people will still want these in their collections.

• bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

This was far from a limited issue, but I grew up with the space program and loved all of it. I ordered two half dollar sets and one 5oz puck, even though the premium on the puck is "outer worldly". I got the back ordered message on the puck but if it's really a May ship, I'll probably be 86ing that one.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like they took the subscription option for the engravings down. I was planning to order one. Had plenty of time. By the time I tried they were gone. Ugh.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took a full 7 minutes to get pucks and Kennedy sets, beat the BACKORDER buzzer at around 9 minutes. Another 5 minutes to get the proof gold. GLITCHY. Wouldn't bring up my saved cc's in the last order, and kept erroring.
    USM06309XXX was 1st order in.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got an order confirmation on my big order (1 gold proof/uncirc, 2 pucks).

Upgraded to UPS ground sig.

My other three orders will be arriving smartpost...

@Raufus said:
    It looks like they took the subscription option for the engravings down. I was planning to order one. Had plenty of time. By the time I tried they were gone. Ugh.

I'm sure they're having a party over at the BEP... :wink:

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I placed one order that did not receive an Order Acknowledgment email immediately after placement. It shows up in my order history. Will that order go through?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

@Akbeez said:
    Took a full 7 minutes to get pucks and Kennedy sets, beat the BACKORDER buzzer at around 9 minutes. Another 5 minutes to get the proof gold. GLITCHY. Wouldn't bring up my saved cc's in the last order, and kept erroring.

If you had the patience and waited at the CC screen (until all the fields were filled, including your default address), it would have worked.

It took about 30-45 seconds on a couple of my orders, but eventually everything got populated. Another 15 seconds gave me the confirmation box.

@CoinPhysicist said:
    I placed one order that did not receive an Order Acknowledgment email immediately after placement. It shows up in my order history. Will that order go through?

Make sure the order shows the status "Processing".

If the order is on "hold", there may be a problem of some sort or another, and may require a call to the Mint if it doesn't clear up in a few hours...

I ordered one set of pucks after they went to backorder. Now, the order says processing in my order history.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    I ordered one set of pucks after they went to backorder. Now, the order says processing in my order history.

So does the set I ordered.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 3:50PM

Thanks @BackroadJunkie for keeping me (all of us) abreast of this since last year!

Edit: Not shipped, yet. Second email to confirm.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Akbeez said:

If you had the patience and waited at the CC screen (until all the fields were filled, including your default address), it would have worked.

It took about 30-45 seconds on a couple of my orders, but eventually everything got populated. Another 15 seconds gave me the confirmation box.

That's what's puzzling -- the first 2 orders had the cc-loading "lag" time, but worked. The last order the cc pull-down menu failed to show even after several minutes. Had to hand-populate the cc info.

Also accidentally paid Expedited Shipping -- hate it when that auto-populates and I don't catch it before ordering. :/

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I certainly hope they ship me three gold coins for the price of two!!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just popped back in to order one each of the clad - went quickly.

Still only puck shows as backordered.

@CoinPhysicist said:

@Raufus said:

Guess they weren't so backordered as we thought. :-)

@BackroadJunkie said:

Make sure the order shows the status "Processing".

My first two orders say "Processing" but my last order does not even appear in my order history or tracking. I checked with my CC and it was charged, so I'm guessing there is just too much going on right now at the mint!!!

• David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 11:48AM

Is anyone being charged the surcharges they talked about?

Coin prices include surcharges of $35 for each gold coin, $10 for each $1 silver coin, $5 for each half-dollar coin, and $50 for each five-ounce silver proof coin. The law requires the Mint to distribute the surcharges collected as follows:

One half to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum’s “Destination Moon” exhibit,
    One quarter to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation, and
    One quarter to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind... it says "coin prices include"... I thought it would be tacked on.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there will be a lot of backorder cancellations and HHL order cc issues with the 5oz pucks because of the rush to get the ones on the shelf ordered in about 10 minutes.

If you did not get a puck confirmation (that does not say backorder) and wanted one, try again just when the Mint opens early morning to see if a few get released on the website. This seems to happen a lot, or at least it did with the palladiums.

I had no interest in any of the other coins, as way too many will be available compared to real collectors. Just look at all the other low commemorative mintages lately. I plan to buy the ones I need for my commemorative set when 70's show up in higher numbers and lower prices in a month or two.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the best offer so far for a sealed box of 5 pucks? I've seen $150 over issue price so far.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

any idea how many orders were done today to get a rough estimate how many 5 oz pucks were ordered

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I placed puck orders after the backorder notice was posted and have now received confirmation for the two orders.

• bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:

@Raufus said:

My order with a back-ordered puck says processing as well, but every order i made for the last three years says processing right now, even though they all shipped, so there's that... ha

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is a good idea to sell pucks without looking at them first, at least if you get them in a week or two while First Strike options still exist. That is a lot of shiny area for a tiny flaw, and I bet 70's will be fairly tough to get.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The little pop up window for back ordered says on hand is not available more being made ( something like that) so it appears the backordered ordered going to process is for the coins not yet made.....maybe

Checked my email. All orders acknowledged and now confirmed! Now it's in the hands of UPS.....I sure hope they don't throw these boxes around.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 12:16PM

I went ahead and ordered 1 five ounce buck on Back Order due out May 1st. That one I will open up the rest stay sealed up until I decide if I want to send them in for that Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety label! :)

Keep my First Stike designation alive! I wonder how long PCGS will keep that Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety label going? 1 year, 2 years or forever or only good for 1 month?

@JimTyler said:
    The little pop up window for back ordered says on hand is not available more being made ( something like that) so it appears the backordered ordered going to process is for the coins not yet made.....maybe

Processing means exactly that. The got your order and they are processing it through the system which means credit cards. It is not a statement about production. They will process the back orders and then ship whenever they are minted

@Goldminers said:
    I think there will be a lot of backorder cancellations and HHL order cc issues with the 5oz pucks because of the rush to get the ones on the shelf ordered in about 10 minutes.

If you did not get a puck confirmation (that does not say backorder) and wanted one, try again just when the Mint opens early morning to see if a few get released on the website. This seems to happen a lot, or at least it did with the palladiums.

I had no interest in any of the other coins, as way too many will be available compared to real collectors. Just look at all the other low commemorative mintages lately. I plan to buy the ones I need for

If you want a puck place the backorder. Any cancellations will do nothing except get some back orders shipped before may 1st.

edited January 24, 2019 12:21PM

eBay listing showing BIN $700 for PF70 and an active one with 24 bidders up to $385

@Gluggo said:
    I went ahead and ordered 1 five ounce buck on Back Order due out May 1st. That one I will open up the rest stay sealed up until I decide if I want to send them in for that Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety label! :)

Keep my First Stike designation alive! I wonder how long PCGS will keep that Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety label going? 1 year, 2 years or forever or only good for 1 month?

edited January 24, 2019 12:27PM

Please enlighten me on these very coins already on sale at eBay.....
    How would sellers meet the deadline to ship when they don't have the coins in their hands as yet?
    What happen if there are more coins purchased than what they will eventually acquired or received back as PF70?

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paradise yep I imagine the price will go high and as the weeks go buy they will fall down, especially if the Mint stamps a bunch of nice 70's for its customer's. Hope your doing well in that paradise. Rain today in January quite bizarre maybe go back to snow soon!

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

Fair point but even with a one coin limit, you know there are undoubtedly people using multiple accounts to buy these to get first strike labels etc. There are certainly more than 50K people worldwide who are space fans that want these...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@jwitten said:
    What's the best offer so far for a sealed box of 5 pucks? I've seen $150 over issue price so far.

Where have you seen this?

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:
    I subscribed to the BEP Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Mission a couple weeks ago. The confirmation email just came in. I'm in for one @ $17 and 0 shipping. Now I'm gonna see which one, the BEP or the Mint, gets here first.

I got confirmation, too. Moneyfactory used to mail things out First Class, but I don't know who's handling the actual fulfillment these days.

My order status says the print is backordered, and it will be coming smartpost. :s

edited January 24, 2019 12:47PM

@Raufus said:

@jwitten said:

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@Raufus said:

@jwitten said:

Looking for a sucker......

Don't quote me on that.

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

Fair point but even with a one coin limit, you know there are undoubtedly people using multiple accounts to buy these to get first strike labels etc. There are certainly more than 50K people worldwide who are space fans that want these...

At $400+? That's actually not obvious to me

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay asking prices don't tell me much. SOLD prices tell me more. This is an interesting scenario. I'm not sure how many were sold before backorder... and it will be interesting to see how many are delivered before first strike is up. One of my 4 orders was before backorder. I've had a guaranteed offer of $150 more than issue price for that box of five. Do you take it? Wait to see if others start shipping before May? Who knows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file