Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 12:21PM

Bumped the Mint shopping cart bug thread...

Also remember any precious metal purchase or $300 or more will be upgraded to UPS ground signature required.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the HH limit lifted at noon Friday for any coins still available?

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@MACGE1 said:
    Are they making 50,000 of each Uncle and Proof or is it 50,000 between the 2?

50k btwn the two

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

yes, so they say

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow is going to be interesting and fun!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any feeling on whether the gold proof will be a quick sellout?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

If the coins are still available at noon on Friday, you probably don't want to buy any.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

sounds like most people just want to turn these, not collect them

I'm setting up a buy plan, so I set up a spreadsheet, and just thought I'd throw some random thoughts out there.

Cost of one coin, full spread:

CoinPriceQtyExt Price
    Gold Proof$418.75 1$418.75
    Gold Unirc$408.75 1$408.75
    Silver Proof$54.951$54.95
    Silver Uncirc$51.95 1$51.95
    Silver 5oz$224.95 1$224.95
    Clad Proof$27.95$0.00
    Clad Uncirc$25.95 1$25.95
    Half set$53.951$53.95
    Total:$1,239.25

A proof set:

CoinPrinceQtyExt Price
    Gold Proof$418.75 1$418.75
    Silver Proof$54.951$54.95
    Silver 5oz$224.95 1$224.95
    Clad Proof$27.95$0.00
    Half set$53.951$53.95
    $752.60

Possible fast sell outs. Question is, how fast. My guess is, if you're on the web site at noon tomorrow, you'll be able to get what you want.

Minimum gold orders, 25K. (One of each, with HHL's of 1)
    Minimum 5oz orders, 20K. (HHL's of 5)
    Minimum Half set orders 20K. (HHL's of 5)

Opening day sales for the 2-coin 2014 clad Kennedy set was 69K, opening day sales for the 4 coin 2014 silver Kennedy set was 85.7K.

BBHoF Proof gold was priced at $424.75 (probably $414.75 for the uncirc). It took about 6.5 hours to sell out.

The 5oz coin is unique. The mint sold about 25K (of 27K) of the Hot Springs pucks in the first week they were introduced, but they had an HHL of 1.

• johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I thought the HH limit for the 5oz coin was set at 2 ??

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnperk747 said:
    I thought the HH limit for the 5oz coin was set at 2 ??

HHL is 5 for the 5 oz.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @BackroadJunkie for the Apollo grid. Makes it easy to make a plan for tomorrow at Noon EST.

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Any feeling on whether the gold proof will be a quick sellout?

with 50K combined mintage, I'd say a 15 minute sell out

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

gluggos last 2 comments just disappeared

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont forget about the

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Mission
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-engraved-print-mission-B49296.html
    WASHINGTON (DC)
    Engravings
    $20.00

This product will be available for sale on January 24, 2019, at 12 noon (ET).
    Remind Me
    To celebrate the first manned Moon landing on July 20, 1969, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is proud to present the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Engraved Print Collection.
    Mission is the first print in this collection. The entire three-print collection may also be purchased as an enrollment.

$610 to $800 on ebay for the Apollo gold already

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence yet.

Many happy BST transactions

There it went poof gone again! I am sure I did it just dont know how. Big L

@cucamongacoin said:

Meaningless number. People trying to take advantage. EU sets were selling for a premium and then took months to sell out and have never regained those levels.

@jmlanzaf said:

@cucamongacoin said:

Meaningless number. People trying to take advantage. EU sets were selling for a premium and then took months to sell out and have never regained those levels.

jmlanzaf is 100,000 of anything coin a high amount in general to be a hot item? There would have to be some other factors to keep the excite factor there. But I am thinking 100,000 is alot to sell. The Paladiums were limited to 10,000 right? But these are cheaper so maybe they can sell out only time will tell tomorrow. Was the reverse penny that came in the set 250,000 and that one for sure took along time to sell out and I think they are readily available on Ebay to this day. I know you were going through the sets taking them apart selling the individual coins. Still an amazing feat in my opinion.

Not making an argument here, just stating an opinion that the two gold are the ones to get and flip. Completed sales on ebay @ $634 and $676.

edited January 23, 2019 4:31PM

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cucamongacoin said:

jmlanzaf is 100,000 of anything coin a high amount in general to be a hot item? There would have to be some other factors to keep the excite factor there. But I am thinking 100,000 is alot to sell. The Paladiums were limited to 10,000 right? But these are cheaper so maybe they can sell out only time will tell tomorrow. Was the reverse penny that came in the set 250,000 and that one for sure took along time to sell out and I think they are readily available on Ebay to this day. I know you were going through the sets taking them apart selling the individual coins. Still an amazing feat in my opinion.

100,000 is certainly a big number made smaller by the HHL of 5. When you factor in the number of people ordering with multiple accounts you could easily be down to 10,000 "parties" holding these 5oz silvers.

They are the first 5 oz proofs the mint has made and of course are hemispherical with $1 face as well.

those pre sale dollar numbers will drop like a fly once all the confirmed gold orders get listed tomorrow

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 5:00PM

I believe a lot of the space people, past and present, thousands of them, are going to want these. There's even a release ceremony tomorrow at KSC and the coins available there. Can't remember if there's another ceremony at another facility. I could be wrong.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy buy buy

@Gluggo said:
    Dont forget about the

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-engraved-print-mission-B49296.html
    WASHINGTON (DC)
    Engravings
    $20.00

Remind Me
    To celebrate the first manned Moon landing on July 20, 1969, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is proud to present the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Engraved Print Collection.
    Mission is the first print in this collection. The entire three-print collection may also be purchased as an enrollment.

If you want these prints, you're better off subscribing. It looks like subscriptions are still available. I have no idea if they'll still honor it for the first print, but it'll make the cost of the prints $17 rather than $20.

@VanHalen said:

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cucamongacoin said:

100,000 is certainly a big number made smaller by the HHL of 5. When you factor in the number of people ordering with multiple accounts you could easily be down to 10,000 "parties" holding these 5oz silvers.

They are the first 5 oz proofs the mint has made and of course are hemispherical with $1 face as well.

75K S-Mint ASE Congrats sets sold out in minutes (HHL of 10), even though it was known the S-Mint ASE would be in the LE set. (It took about two days to sell out the LE set which brought the total number of S-Mint ASE's to 125K.)

I don't see the puck selling out in minutes, but unlike the EU and RP sets which were a novelty, these are real U.S. Commemoratives with absolute cross-over interest potential. Especially if they look really nice in hand. And because people really do like shiny. :D

That said, I'm probably only buying three, with one going into my brown box collection. I think I should be able to get in two orders...

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Dont forget about the

WASHINGTON (DC)
    Engravings
    $20.00

Remind Me

I didn't.....took advantage of the enrolled price ($17 per engraving)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    That said, I'm probably only buying three, with one going into my brown box collection. I think I should be able to get in two orders...

Same here. :)

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently NASA has brought Richard Nixon in from the Outer Limits.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will definitely be sell-outs. I predict not everything will sell-out on day one. Does anybody think the Government Shutdown will have any affect on sales? Even NASA is shut down and how many collectors from there would have bought these?

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of us that are Newbies to the US Mint, when 12 pm EST comes rolling around, would you go to the shop "drop-down" link to order the coins? Would you go into the coin link before 12 to make sure you're in line? Basically, how does one go about ordering coins that are likely to sell out quickly? Thank you!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019 6:14PM

Baseball took 3 days to sell out same limit household limit was 50 coins. How are these gold going to sellout in a day?
    Link 2nd paragraph says sold out Monday. Last mentions 50 limit.
    https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/us_mint_sells_out_of_gold_coins_to_benefit_baseball_hall_of_fame_in_cooperstown.html

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    For those of us that are Newbies to the US Mint, when 12 pm EST comes rolling around, would you go to the shop "drop-down" link to order the coins? Would you go into the coin link before 12 to make sure you're in line? Basically, how does one go about ordering coins that are likely to sell out quickly? Thank you!

I would be on the coin page that you want to buy. Possibly have multiple browsers open if you want several of the options. Have each browser loaded with a different coin, but all logged into your account already. Also make sure your address and card number are already saved tonight.

• Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I’m in for the gold uncirculated for me and the half dollar sets for Xmas gifts. Don’t want to play the flipping game this time but I totally get the temptation. It will be hard to concentrate at work after roll out. I want to watch me message boards.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribed to the BEP Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Mission a couple weeks ago. The confirmation email just came in. I'm in for one @ $17 and 0 shipping. Now I'm gonna see which one, the BEP or the Mint, gets here first.

@JimTyler said:
    Baseball took 3 days to sell out same limit household limit was 50 coins. How are these gold going to sellout in a day?
    Link 2nd paragraph says sold out Monday. Last mentions 50 limit.
    https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/us_mint_sells_out_of_gold_coins_to_benefit_baseball_hall_of_fame_in_cooperstown.html

This is very misleading.

At 6:30pm (Eastern), the same day they went on sale, the product status flipped from available to a "Waiting list" for the gold products. (If you weren't around during the PBGS days, once a product sold out and further sales were dependent on CC cancels, you could order, but couldn't order the product directly. You could place yourself on a "waiting list". If a coin became available, it was offered to the next person on the "Waiting list".)

The BBHoF gold was MARKED sold out three days later when they ended taking orders for the "Waiting List". Because that's how things worked back then. :wink:

It kinda works the same way today, except PFSWeb can do immediate, small batch sales, rather than having people on a list.
    Once the product reaches sales limits, the status is flipped to "Currently Unavailable". Much later it is finally marked "sold out"...

Also note there were a huge load of slowdowns and crashes during the initial sale, so the 6.5 hours would have been considerable shorter if PBGS's computer systems were up to date.

@Kudbegud said:
    I subscribed to the BEP Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Mission a couple weeks ago. The confirmation email just came in. I'm in for one @ $17 and 0 shipping. Now I'm gonna see which one, the BEP or the Mint, gets here first.

I got confirmation, too. Moneyfactory used to mail things out First Class, but I don't know who's handling the actual fulfillment these days.

Gold and $300 orders go out UPS ground, so for me it should be a close call...

T-minus 4 hours, 22 minutes.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 7:02AM

I obviously see a lot of parallels between these an the HOF coins - curved, very popular subject which should reach beyond numismatics, etc.

Some of the HOF coins did very well on the quick and short term flip. Then the premiums largely disappeared.

I ended up with a few sealed boxes of 10 of the two $1 slivers (unc and proof). After listing them on the BST several times at my cost and having found zero interest I finally sold them to a dealer at the Balto show at a loss.

While the gold issues were hot for a while just look at the prices now. They are around issue.

I'm looking forward to some of the Apollo issues just because I really like the coins and the subject. Beyond that, I may buy a few hoping for a flip but my HOF experience will greatly temper my hopes of any long term gains.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Thank you jmlanzaf well thought out.

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Disclaimer: I'm in for the flip on selected items.

But I would caution the tendency to jump too enthusiastically at a bunch of commemoratives with fairly large mintages.

Yes, it is a popular subject. Yes, they are somewhat interesting numismatically.

BUT BUT BUT, for the $400+ gold coins, how many actual collectors are there? Look at the Breast Cancer coin. That is a "popular", politically charged topic and the combined unc/proof sales is only 15,000 after MONTHS of sales.

Do I think the Apollo gold coin will sell out today (50,000 coins)? Yes. Do I think (hope?) I can flip mine for a small profit. Yes. Do I think this is a good long-term hold? No.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the other less scarce items end up being dogs that take a long time to sell out and have no flipping potential.

Yes, it's a 5 oz curved proof. It MIGHT have a huge PR70 premium if there are any production problems. But 100,000 hockey pucks is a lot. The ATB coins sell less than 20,000. [Yes, it's space. Yes, it's proof. Yes, it's curved. But, yes it is $225.] What's the long-term value on these?

And 400,000 of the proof/unc Silver $1 coins at $50+....I think their peak value is today: issue price.
    750,000 clad halves. Really? 750,000? Nuff said.

The enhanced reverse proof Kennedy is intriguing, but at 100k mintage and a $55 price tag (unless you care about the Apollo $1/2), how much upside is there?

Are you invoking the spirit of Bestday?

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Disclaimer: I'm in for the flip on selected items.

But I would caution the tendency to jump too enthusiastically at a bunch of commemoratives with fairly large mintages.

Yes, it is a popular subject. Yes, they are somewhat interesting numismatically.

BUT BUT BUT, for the $400+ gold coins, how many actual collectors are there? Look at the Breast Cancer coin. That is a "popular", politically charged topic and the combined unc/proof sales is only 15,000 after MONTHS of sales.

Do I think the Apollo gold coin will sell out today (50,000 coins)? Yes. Do I think (hope?) I can flip mine for a small profit. Yes. Do I think this is a good long-term hold? No.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the other less scarce items end up being dogs that take a long time to sell out and have no flipping potential.

Yes, it's a 5 oz curved proof. It MIGHT have a huge PR70 premium if there are any production problems. But 100,000 hockey pucks is a lot. The ATB coins sell less than 20,000. [Yes, it's space. Yes, it's proof. Yes, it's curved. But, yes it is $225.] What's the long-term value on these?

And 400,000 of the proof/unc Silver $1 coins at $50+....I think their peak value is today: issue price.

The enhanced reverse proof Kennedy is intriguing, but at 100k mintage and a $55 price tag (unless you care about the Apollo $1/2), how much upside is there?

So, which ones are you thinking of re: flipping?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna try to flip the 5 oz pucks for enough money to cover the cost of the gold versions. That to me would be winning.

Don't quote me on that.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

I love a good flipping opportunity but none of these issues seem have real flip potential like the Palladium issue.
    They are all too expensive and the 100K mintage puts a dagger in the puck. I do like the design though.

Loves me some shiny!
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:
    I love a good flipping opportunity but none of these issues seem have real flip potential like the Palladium issue.
    They are all too expensive and the 100K mintage puts a dagger in the puck. I do like the design though.

Every time I've thought like that I've missed out.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Look at the Breast Cancer coin. That is a "popular", politically charged topic and the combined unc/proof sales is only 15,000 after MONTHS of sales.

For me the rose gold color killed that one for me. Way too gimmicky.

Many happy BST transactions

@thevolcanogod said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Are you invoking the spirit of Bestday?

LOL. You mean WorstDay? No, not at all. But enthusiasm should be tempered with realism.

@Raufus said:

e is today: issue price.

So, which ones are you thinking of re: flipping?

The most likely flipping opportunities (IMHO):
    5 oz puck
    $5 gold (unc or proof)
    Kennedy set

But I really am not expecting huge margins on the flip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file