Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A page with all (?) nations tribute coins shown. Use as a check list for the ultra completist.

https://numismag.com/en/2019/03/17/50th-anniversary-1969-moon-landing-worldwide-coins-and-medals/

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    A page with all (?) nations tribute coins shown. Use as a check list for the ultra completist.

https://numismag.com/en/2019/03/17/50th-anniversary-1969-moon-landing-worldwide-coins-and-medals/

I did not need to see that.

Keep CC firmly implanted in wallet. Delete PP.

:D:)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not need to see that.
    Keep CC firmly implanted in wallet. Delete PP.

DITTO! Kudbegud, you suck. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

Older & not complete list.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@Kudbegud said:

So there is a newer and more complete list (read that as longer list)? :o

• Options

@OPA said:

@Kudbegud said:

The article is from March. Not that old but could be before a couple coins were announced. One that just was in Coin Update last night, Belgium, is shown. I like the one from Cameroun for it's simple high contrast design.

@Opa, if you know of any that aren't included on the linked page, please add them in this thread. A complete list would be a nice addition to a collection even if only represented by photos.

• Options

“Photos”

I can go for that. A lot less expensive but the finger twitches...

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    “Photos”

I can go for that. A lot less expensive but the finger twitches...

I printed to PDF the linked page and attached it below. It's 72 pages long but the whole article with photos are included. Second best but easier on the wallet.

My finger twitched several times HAHAHA.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 12:47AM

Are you a computer geek? I mean a real hardcore computer geek? Check this out.

These guys are restoring an actual Apollo Guidance Computer. They want to get it fully functional by July 20 for the 50th. We're talking a 60's computer that took the spacecraft to the Moon and back.

There's about six hours of content so far in 22 videos. I'm not even a quarter of the way through, but having pretty much grown up in the microprocessor era, it's fascinating stuff. This is the first video, go to his channel to find a playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KSahAoOLdU

• Options

Oh yes! Good vids!

• Options

Order confirmed!

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Giant Leap Qty: 1 TOTAL: $17.00

USS128772xx

I wonder if any will actually be for sale at Noon...

• Options

Dang, forgot, was wondering what charge was on the CC.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Order confirmed!

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Giant Leap Qty: 1 TOTAL: $17.00

USS128772xx

I wonder if any will actually be for sale at Noon...

Most likely indicate....sold out.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were 36 available....for a matter of seconds. Now CU:

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 9:06AM

I got five of those 36 if my confirmed order goes thru.

Just a order acknowledgment but I did get a order #

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, I have hotel reservations tonight.....on the U.S.S. Hornet. Special 50th Anniversary overnight tonight and big Moon Landing celebration tomorrow. Some activities are worth losing a night's sleep:

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rats! I forgot to be on hair-trigger alert for the print. Anybody have 1 extra?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2019 11:00AM

Order Summary
    Order Placed: 07/19/19
    Order Status: PROCESSING
    Order Number: USS12876479
    Shipping To:
    gluggo

#
    ,## #####-

Method: Fedex Smartpost
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Engraved Print: Giant Leap
    $17.00
    Qty 1 Total: 17.0000
    Billing Address
    gluggo

#
    ,## #####-

US
    Payment Methods

##

************####
    Exp. 06/2024
    Amount: $17.00
    Items (0) Subtotal:17.00
    Shipping & Handling:0.00
    Order Total:17.00

Looks like the 3rd print is now prepping for shipment!

• Options
    edited July 19, 2019 3:36PM

US Post Office issues an Apollo Moon Landing Stamp TODAY (7/19/19)

A reminder of these that were mentioned in this tread a while ago.
    Available from the USPO site for $13.20 + $1.30 shipping for a sheet of 24 55¢ Forever Stamps
    https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/1969-first-moon-landing-S_479104

Or at your local Post Office

Space.com page link with more of the story:
    US Postal Service Celebrates Apollo 11 Moon Landing with 'Forever' Stamps
    https://space.com/usps-apollo-11-anniversary-stamps.html

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Confirmed order for 8. Order number 06876xxx. Currently processing. Time will tell if they go through.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

@pointfivezero said:
    By the way, I have hotel reservations tonight.....on the U.S.S. Hornet. Special 50th Anniversary overnight tonight and big Moon Landing celebration tomorrow. Some activities are worth losing a night's sleep:

That is awsume maybe share a few pictures of the event? 😊 I have to work. :(

• Options

Waiting for my PO to stock up. Going to get some!

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Waiting for my PO to stock up. Going to get some!

Well, since you're hopelessly addicted to buying Apollo 11 stuff, go here:

USPS Apollo 11 stuff

you'll find first day covers, stuff from the launch ceremony (launch of the stamp, not the rocket...), press sheets, etc. I'm a little surprised they don't have more related merchandise. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

The moon stamp looks suspiciously like the eclipse stamp they put out, but they probably without the thermo-activated ink...

• Options

They’ve added a lot more since the last time I looked at their store.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2019 11:43AM

My "Moon Stamps & FDC's" are scheduled to be delivered today. Oddly, instead of combining everything into one mailer, I'm getting 3 different mailers from the USPS. ( I pre-ordered these several weeks ago.)

Edited to add: delivered.

![]

• Options

I am taking a small break and wow thank you so much!!!! Looks like your having a good time. Have a great weekend.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

US Post Office issues an Apollo Moon Landing Stamp TODAY (7/19/19)

A reminder of these that were mentioned in this tread a while ago.
    Available from the USPO site for $13.20 + $1.30 shipping for a sheet of 24 55¢ Forever Stamps
    https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/1969-first-moon-landing-S_479104

Or at your local Post Office

Space.com page link with more of the story:
    US Postal Service Celebrates Apollo 11 Moon Landing with 'Forever' Stamps
    https://space.com/usps-apollo-11-anniversary-stamps.html

Thanks for the info!! Purchased all the sheets my local, little Post Office had on hand. But the Press Sheet to purchase on the USPS link you provided is so cool. Face value price and throw in a few more 24 stamp sheets to make the total $1.80 shipping cost worth it :smiley:

It is a forever stamp.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options

Got the third and final.

Not good when you see the damaged notice from the USPS.

Recall what paper looks like when wet, damp, then semi-dried. :'(

Put the print in a heavy book and hoping for the best. Same book used to straighten out the first print that was slightly bent which ultimately came out good.

• Options

Not good handling. Hope the flattening works.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Got the third and final.

Well, if they got it damaged, the it was FedEx that mangled your package too.

My 3rd print arrived in a pristine package, but that one hadn't been routed through Kansas. Can't figure out why they'd ship it 350 miles out of the way...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Got the third and final.

Well, if they got it damaged, the it was FedEx that mangled your package too.

My 3rd print arrived in a pristine package, but that one hadn't been routed through Kansas. Can't figure out why they'd ship it 350 miles out of the way...

Agree, it was Fex. Have had my share of damaged boxes. It starts with PFSWeb’s “much-to-be-desired” packing to the week (or weeks) long possession by the Fex carrier.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Got the third and final.

Recall what paper looks like when wet, damp, then semi-dried. :'(

Put the print in a heavy book and hoping for the best. Same book used to straighten out the first print that was slightly bent which ultimately came out good.

Heavy book recovered. Whew! :D

Wish the $50 set was recoverable but was too soaked. :/

• Options

Sorry for your soaked condition disappointment. Unacceptable on the PO part for poor handling along the way.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Sorry for your soaked condition disappointment. Unacceptable on the PO part for poor handling along the way.

In this case the blame would be WetEx. PO got the short/wet end of the stick to have to deliver at the end.

The three-part print is great, re-thinking the framing part.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

So I never got a puck but I kind of want one. Is the best place to buy one from a reseller who tried to flip it for a profit and might have to take a loss now?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

@CoinPhysicist said:
    So I never got a puck but I kind of want one. Is the best place to buy one from a reseller who tried to flip it for a profit and might have to take a loss now?

Raw or slabbed you’ll need to do a careful search. Might try a WTB on the BST. Do a search for recently sold on the Bay and other sites.

• Options

Well, in case you didn't get enough of the Apollo 11 stuff, a couple more options!

Available August 7, no prices set, no product limit, no HHL's. They are the standard proof commems with a BEP Intaglio print. The print is the same in either option.

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof $5 Gold Coin and Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print (19XA1)

and
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar and Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print (19XA2)

Ryder! Enough already!

• Options
    edited August 1, 2019 10:48AM

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar and Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print

This will be more my price range available same day and a production limit of 400,000.
    Will PCGS encapsulate the Print?
    Wonder if I should wait a few years and get it cheaper on Ebay/

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-silver-dollar-and-kennedy-apollo-11-intaglio-print-19XA2.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

• Options

@smokincoin said:
    I've got a few half sets and a puck. Here's what the rest of it looks like. Turned out being 43" x 25".

That is nice! Good work. I need to do something like that.
    So the frame is 43" X 25"? TYIA

• Options

@smokincoin said:
    I've got a few half sets and a puck. Here's what the rest of it looks like. Turned out being 43" x 25".

That’s nice! Where’d you get the frame?

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    That is nice! Good work. I need to do something like that.
    So the frame is 43" X 25"? TYIA

Yes, it's 43" x 25" overall. Had a local frame shop do it for me. It wasn't cheap.

• Options

Well, that was easy.

I finally got around to getting the replacement sleeves for the half-set. Instead to relaying 3 order numbers to an operator and seeing how dyslexic I could be, I sent it all via e-mail (with order numbers and qty requested), and got all my replacements today.

So if you'd rather just copy and paste into an e-mail, it works... :D

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Well, in case you didn't get enough of the Apollo 11 stuff, a couple more options!

Available August 7, no prices set, no product limit, no HHL's. They are the standard proof commems with a BEP Intaglio print. The print is the same in either option.

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof $5 Gold Coin and Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print (19XA1)

and
    Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Silver Dollar and Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print (19XA2)

Ryder! Enough already!

Prices set:
    Gold version will be $479.50, probably based on spot. (The non-intaglio version is $460.50. so $19 for the print.)
    Silver version will be $78.95. vs. $59.95 for the proof silver. ($19 here too.)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa? Only 500 of each set is available? Already on BO. Still shows mintage totals across all options as 400,000. Must be the coin, not prints. There is no reference in the site listing other than limited availability. n Just got this email:

Limited Quantity Available through December 2019!
    The United States Mint and Bureau of Engraving and Printing are proud to offer a very special limited-edition coin and print combination commemorating the Apollo 11 Moon landing. The set is available in two versions: Proof Silver Dollar with Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print or Proof $5 Gold Coin with Kennedy-Apollo 11 Intaglio Print. Don’t miss your chance to own this one-of-a-kind set!
    Only 500 of each set are available in 2019!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

What? They only pre-prepared 10% or 50 of each?

• Options

Looks that way. Both silv and gold are BO'd until 8/20. Print is exclusive to these sets.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Comparing

• Options

Not surprising - the silver version is now gone dark. Even with the plethora of Apollo editions, what was the Mint thinking with only 500 available? Maybe the BEP could only print 1000 total?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file