Home Metal Detecting

10-8-2019 Update--My finds history thread. From the addicting beginning....

Comments

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2019 4:35AM

Now onto a couple of silver rings I believe to be Native American made, and older at that. Found these both in the Lake Resort boaters beach area previously mentioned in other finds.

Sold the bear footprint ring on the 'Bay, and still possess the band style.

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turquoise is very popular out west....and the rings do look to be Native American fabrication. Cheers, RickO

edited September 10, 2019 4:36AM

This day three years ago I thought I found Silver & Gold at my hot spot Arizona Lake resort boaters beach. Well, I did find Silver, but the second cross must be brass or bronze, as it did not test as gold. It was another great day hunting.

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Nice finds... could be plated silver, did you check for that? Cheers, rickO

edited September 10, 2019 4:37AM

Here are some more Sterling pieces found several years back in the water along the Arizona, boaters party area. All found in around neck-deep water while wearing a snorkel and mask! The Tiffany ring was previously shown in this thread. Three of the bangle bracelets were found the same day with-in about 5' of each other. The fancy interlocking chain type Ankle bracelet had been in the water and acidic lake bottom so long, it was encased in hard black crust and would not even bend. At first I thought it was trash! Ha! After much soaking, flex work, and then buffing, I consider that bracelet as one of my coolest finds!

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

DETAILS CLEANED> LOL> @CCDAMEEK said:

Next part of my better finds starts into mostly Sterling silver jewelry. This ring was again found in the same party/boating area in Arizona. Cleared $100 bucks for it in the antique store, only because of the maker's name.....

This is how it looked pulling it up in the scoop. I never took a photo, but after buffing it up with a Dremel buffing wheel and ultra fine car polishing compound, the ring looked brand new.

photo DSC05822_zpsyprslx6j.jpg

Some great finds came out of that site... that chain bracelet is very impressive...good work cleaning it up. Cheers, RickO

edited September 10, 2019 4:40AM

Some more sterling silver jewelry found over the years in my old honey hole, the Arizona Boaters party area. Lot's of California money in their big boats and flashing their bling! Wish they wore more GOLD! :D Sorry for the blurred photo's. These go back to early digital camera days for me.

That site sure has been a treasure trove for you... Hope it continues to give up it's goodies... Cheers, RickO

edited February 9, 2019 5:03AM

@ricko said:
    That site sure has been a treasure trove for you... Hope it continues to give up it's goodies... Cheers, RickO

Sure it will, but we moved to Florida, so we'll have to spend some vacation time out there now and then to see! ;)

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... could be plated silver, did you check for that? Cheers, rickO

Yes, it certainly is not a gold plated piece. Oh well.

edited September 10, 2019 4:41AM

Here is a nice little necklace pendant I found in the surf at a beach on Longboat Key in Sarasota Florida a few years back. It is 14K gold, and a nice looking gemstone, although I am not sure the name of it. Still in my possession.

edited September 10, 2019 5:05AM

A few more silver (1 copper) rings found over the years. I find it odd how many women lose toe rings. Or, should I say, I find it odd how many women's toe rings I recover? 3 of these 5 are toe rings (or for tiny-tiny little fingers)

And wrapping up the final misc. rings recovered since I started detecting. If only the two on the display finger could have been real instead!
    photo IMG_20190205_161718047_zps9vnkgwfg.jpg
    photo IMG_20190205_161917465_zpsocgiej5x.jpg

You certainly have found a quantity of jewelry.... Much like another member's treasure area he calls 'silver beach'... I need to find one of these 'fonts of treasure' sites.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• @CCDAMEEK said:
    Here is a nice little necklace pendant I found in the surf at a beach on Longboat Key in Sarasota Florida a few years back. It is 14K gold, and a nice looking gemstone, although I am not sure the name of it. Still in my possession.

photo IMG_0401_zpshjbavwns.jpg

photo IMG_0400_zpsxw62jwav.jpg

@CCDAMEEK said:

@CCDAMEEK said:

@CCDAMEEK said:

@CCDAMEEK said:

• “Here is a nice little necklace pendant I found in the surf at a beach on Longboat Key in Sarasota Florida a few years back. It is 14K gold, and a nice looking gemstone, although I am not sure the name of it. Still in my possession.“

This looks almost exactly like a stone in a ring that my sister gave me in the early sixties. I think it is a blue topaz. But fifty years have gone by, and I gave that good ring to a boyfriend years ago, so I may not remember the name correctly. But the stone is the same.

The gold also reminds me of it, though the design is different, the work seems similar. It just looked like the same maker/ materials to me.

Killdeer

• Whoops!
    😊

edited September 10, 2019 5:08AM

Here is a couple finds every detectorist dreams about!

Too bad they are just old cap guns and not the real things! :D The larger one is only about 5" in length. Research on the smaller one indicated a few years ago, that it is worth about $75.00 !

edited September 10, 2019 5:10AM

I also found this, at a 1920's homesite that was slated to be torn down soon.

Looks like a 22-cal pistol barrel, with a spent cartridge still in it!

edited September 10, 2019 5:11AM

Of course, there is the occasional tableware found at parks. But sometimes you might dig up a unique piece! The bottom spoon in this photo, was dug up from under a very large maple tree at an old Rod & Gun club. It is a commemorative 1939 Worlds Fair spoon, which unfortunately is just silver plated. But very cool in any case!

edited September 10, 2019 5:14AM

I unearthed these railroad-tie date nails while out in Arizona, from an area adjacent to the Santa Fe Railroad running along Interstate 40 near the Colorado River.

The other item is from the same area, which is what would have been an old wood-handled cork screw. In research, I read about a couple of train wrecks in that area, and this may be from one of those. Can't imagine another reason for a brass corkscrew to be in that area!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting stuff @CCDAMEEK :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Those date nails are a cool find.... I think I recall some people collect them...A dim memory from years past...Cheers, RickO

edited September 10, 2019 5:16AM

Here is my found no-value earring's collection since the beginning:

All shapes & sizes from tiny little studs to large hoops. Oh the "could have been" factor...….!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing and inspiring.
    Thanks for posting @CCDAMEEK
    I just put fresh batteries in my AT Pro and I'm off to the park in the a.m.

Nice collection... to bad some of those were not real diamonds.... ;) Cheers, RickO

edited September 10, 2019 5:17AM

Moving on, Here are two different views of some necklace pendants of no real value that I have dug up. A couple of them had that "pucker factor", until getting them cleaned up and looked at with the loupe!

I can understand the pre cleaning pucker on a couple of those... ;) Cheers, RickO

Here is some more miscellaneous jewelry charms and parts in my treasure chest that I have found over the years.

photo IMG_20190205_165011702_zpsgohs5ipf.jpg

photo IMG_20190205_165021626_zpswuaqedwe.jpg

You certainly have a vast variety of finds... From the amazing to the mundane... but all nice. Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a very impressive thread of treasure. Well-done @CCDAMEEK

Here is a little something I'm fairly certain that not too many people have in their treasure chest of finds! This is a LIVE 50-cal jammed round, ejected from a WW2 fighter plane while training over the desert of western Arizona near the Colorado river. I dug this out of a dry wash, down 15-18 inches while out trying to find some gold nuggets (which I never did do darn-it). Head stamp has the' M' at the 12-o'clock position, '4' at 8-o'clock and '3' at 4-o'clock, dating this to 1943.

photo DSC02621_zps0kmjmqe0.jpg

photo IMG_20190409_090912158_zpszzglmurt.jpg

Going along with the theme of ammunition finds, here is a pile of additional 50-cal spend rounds, a few of the casings I found, along with other parts, pieces, a bandolier clip, and other live ammunition rounds found over the years.

photo IMG_20190408_081241975_zpshva23fm8.jpg

photo IMG_20190408_081230250_zpsn3l8jv2a.jpg

Nice old ammo finds... that .50 cal round is great....looks as if it may have been a jam...Cheers, RickO

• Hey Brother that 50 cal could very well be from one of the most iconic fighters of WWII, The P-51 Mustang. She came with to fight with six 50 cal. machine guns, 3 on each wing. Cool find, the desert gave up some history for you! See ya's soon!

Early suspender buckle I dug out in the Arizona Desert (same area that the 55-cal collection came from). Research shows that the buckle was made between 1887-1900. I was also able to find an old print advertisement for it!

photo DSC02826_zpsxljajfnu.jpg

photo DSC02826-Shirley President Suspender clasp_zps0ipz8q1k.jpg

(The shotgun shell base is from the Winchester-Western, or the Western Ammunition Division of Winchester, and is dated between 1946 and 1969, so not very old but found the same day.)

Great research.... There are definitely treasures to be found... That is what keeps us going...Cheers, RickO

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

This is my first visit to this forum and this is a heck of a thread to read! On reading the very first post I was thinking of making a joke about finding the original owners, and then I see the OP has done exactly that. I'm awestruck.

@planetsteve said:
    This is my first visit to this forum and this is a heck of a thread to read! On reading the very first post I was thinking of making a joke about finding the original owners, and then I see the OP has done exactly that. I'm awestruck.

Welcome, and Thank You very much for the compliments. Most of all it is just luck in finding that proverbial needle in a haystack, and in the process enjoying being out in nature to pass the hours of finding nothing but junk, and, enough pull tabs to fill a beer truck!! :s

Oh those pull tabs..... the bane of MD'rs..... :D Sure glad they were phased out... though I know the 'permanent' one's are still being popped off occasionally....Cheers, RickO

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome thread! Thanks @CCDAMEEK for sharing all of your finds! :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 3:35PM

About the Ammo pic from April 9th. I've found some ammo but "Nothing" like you are finding. My finds are usually a surprise when it shows up. Do you ever have the bomb squad explode any of the live stuff?

edited September 10, 2019 5:20AM

FINALLY had a chance to get out digging. By blood brother @49tacfw got us hooked up to a late 1700's tavern site, now a homestead that will be coming down soon. Really tall grass making swinging hard, but I was able to come up with this 1934 Merc dime, and @49tacfw found a 1923 Buffalo nickel!
    Will be heading back again once they get the grass cut!!!!

With finds like that, one can easily believe there are more treasures to be dug when conditions are more favorable. Cheers, RickO

edited September 10, 2019 5:27AM

Well, @49tacfw and I got back to that 1700's Tavern site. He stopped earlier in the week and pulled up an outstanding condition 1831 U.S. Large Cent! ( I'm sure he will get around to posting his finds.) Well we got back there Sunday morning, and I pulled up this:
    1802 U.S. Large Cent! I am still soaking and lightly cleaning it, as right out of the ground it looked just as smooth as silk, but with some soaking and cleaning, it is giving out some of the details finally. ( It looks like it might be an 1808, but in 1808 the coin was changed, and the bust faces left. so 1802 is the only other possibility.)

This Large Cent out-dates my earlier oldest coin, the 1883 Indian Head Cent, by a full 81 years, and considering Cents first appeared in 1793, this is only the 9th year of Cent production. Just sic finding something with history this far back!!

That is a great find.... and I do see it as an 1802.... Congratulations... That site may have more treasure... Cheers, RickO

Thanks @ricko , I am finished pushing the cleaning as far as I can, and have posted actual scans of the Large Cent!

edited September 10, 2019 5:29AM

Got out swinging a few days ago, to a honey hole Me and my brother @49tfw have been combing over the past few years.
    It's a large property that gets a lot of public events, but dates back into the early 1900's. This day turned up $5.06 from 84 coins dug! No silvers this time, but 36 of the coins dated 1960 or earlier, with the oldest being 1935 & 1936 Wheat cents, and only 5 pennies being zinc! Oh, and one worthless butterfly pendant....
    I only made one sweep of about 100', and it took me nearly 5-hours to dig the finds!

Wow... that is a pile of coins and a lot of digging.... nice that there were only five zincolns though....With only 100 feet done, there must be still a mega pile of coins there....Good luck... Cheers, RickO