Home U.S. Coin Forum

Micro Numismatics Quiz #17 Answered.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2018 5:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry, no prizes :(

I am going to be posting micrographs of anything that can be found on coins. Some will be easy and some will not. The correct answer is whatever I say it is :p but feel free to disagree (giving your reason) so all of us can discuss it. Images will be posted in this thread at my discretion - several each week. I will usually post the answers late the next day after the quiz was posted.

In order to make this FUN for beginners. I'll ask the "experts" to PLEASE not guess what any of the images are until the next day. Otherwise, folks like (fill in the blank) will get all of them immediately - That's NO FUN. If no correct answer is given by the next day, the "experts" should PLEASE respond. The answer for each image will usually be posted in the afternoon when I add another image.

The Rules:

1.Anyone can guess. That's because even an incorrect guess can open further discussion as to why it is incorrect.
2.The BEST guess is in two parts:

A. What characteristic the image shows.
B. What did you see in the image that led to your guess.

The Question: This is a micrograph of a section of an encased postage piece. Look them up on the internet to see a full image and learn about an interesting numismatic collectable. Basically, a postage stamp was inserted into a brass casing with a sheet of mica covering the open end to protect the stamp. After you check out images of these on the Internet, what do you notice on the piece in this image that might make you pause before the purchase.

The Image:

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

after looking at some examples on the web, there should be a smooth rim around the edge of the piece. I'm not sure if this metal "lip" is an effort to cover up a break in the fragile mica, or if it is a sign of a fake. The stamp looks like a 1c. Franklin.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goog search, “stamp collecting encased postage with brass and mica” and I hope what I found is what is being referred to.

Maybe the stamp is counterfeit because the ink ran and/or splattered on the brass enclosure.

Or it was not counterfeit but the stamp was exposed to a wet/humid environment to spread the ink to the brass.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

That bent retaining tab doesn't look right. Perhaps someone removed a common stamp and replaced it with a rarer stamp to increase its value. Or, they removed a damaged mica window and replaced it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this one the real deal without the bent tabs ?

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it was opened and something switched out!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct guys! The piece is altered. It was opened and sealed again, probably with new mica. The edge crimp is uneven too.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've had 17 of these? I think I may have seen one in the past.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go into my board and look up my discussions. You are too advanced to post answers right away because these are for the beginners.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file