The Juan Soto Run: #US300, #86, #HMT55 & #A-JS

han_sotohan_soto Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2018 9:22AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

After seeing a game during one of our semi-annual MGM trips at National Harbor and subsequently pulling one of his Bowman Big League Breakthrough redemption cards, I’ve found myself dipping my toe into the modern pond.

It’s been a pretty eye-opening and knowledgeable trek and a refreshing break from the vintage side.

The “knowledgeable” schtick comes from learning about the cards titled in the thread. The 2018 Topps Update #US300 and its Chrome version, the HMT55.

As opposed to vintage and the “RC” standard definition, Ive learned about “1st Bowman” card, “The RC Logo”, “Pack Pulled” cards and, while still absorbing here, the parallels of all of these cards.

I must admit, it was extremely overwhelming at first. But, this middle-aged dog wanted to at least attempt to learn some of the new tricks. So, I just took it slow. Day by day. And researched heavily before doing any sort of impulse buying. Considering the price descrepancy between some of these parallels, I didnt want a stupid mistake to thwart any of the fun because thinking back, I had already been collecting vintage parallels since day Juan (one).

Think various versions of the ‘89 FF card, the ‘52 mantles a&b, the ‘64 bat knob card, ‘69 white lettered, Juan Gonzalez reverse negative, Topps, Tiffany & Desert Shields and the Veni’s to the Minis. All could basically be labeled under the original parallels if you wanted to.

With that long diatribe being over, I love the image and how it has been used in numerous different Topps product lines.

(Which was hard to wrap my head around at first)

How could the same card, with the same remarkable image, be found in at least 4 different distribution methods by Topps? The simple answer? It just is.

Again, I’m not into modern really so I’m not chasing each release, doing case breaks or ripping a bunch of wax or is it plastic/foil now-a-days, so just tracking down the singles is fun and challenging in itself.

With that being said, I’m just gonna post the different cards as they have or get picked up just to document the journey. Its all PC so if the kid doesnt make it, it’s been fun witnessing him play (and hit) in person, pulling that bowman card, learning about shiny and just having fun again with raw cards without any emphasis on “flips”.

The original base:

2018 Topps Update #US300; Base

Front:

Back:

“california’s made more mistakes than yogi berra reciting shakespeare”

Comments

• han_sotohan_soto Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 2:31AM

2018 Topps Chrome Update #HMT55: Base

("hmt" standing for holiday mega target, i think)

Front:

Back:

edited December 28, 2018 2:24AM

2018 Topps Chrome Update #HMT55; Pink Refractor

Front:

Back:

Fairly common.

These are only found in the "hanger packs" found at Target.

2 come in a separate pack inside each hanger.

edited December 28, 2018 2:43AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; Rainbow Foil

Front:

Back:

Hard to get the colors to represent the beauty of the card via scan.

Maybe as common or rare, as the Pink Refractor per the Chrome series.

Found randomly in packs in Topps Update, I think.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Very nice cards and write up!

edited December 28, 2018 2:01AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; Vintage Stock

what to look for:

Front:

Back:

One of my personal favorites. Very subtle differences with the 1st being the old school Topps logo vs the regular base card and the newer logo and the stock. Isnt really glossy, especially the back. It really feels and would slide like a vintage card would if you were going thru a stack of commons.

We are getting into numbered cards, so it's outta /99.

But one thing Ive learned in this modern skinny dip is that any card that is the players uniform number are referred to as "jersey cards" and often fetch quite a premium. So had this been card 22/99 I probably wouldnt have been able to get or rather wouldnt have paid 2-3X what a regular one goes for.

As for distribution, not really sure. I assume only in the Topps Update packs, but some "hits" as they are referred to only appear in boxes of: retail, hobby, jumbo, super jumbo, etc. I haven't figured out all of that lingo and what is found where.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    As for distribution, not really sure. I assume only in the Topps Update packs, but some "hits" as they are referred to only appear in boxes of: retail, hobby, jumbo, super jumbo, etc. I havent figured out all of that lingo and what is found where.

Doesn't look like it's fully updated for this set yet, but here's the best resource I've found: http://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/index.php/2018_Topps_Update#Insertion_Ratios

edited December 28, 2018 3:49AM

(warning. no way a flat scan can do the following card justice.)

2018 Topps On Demand #86; 3D Motion

Borrowed Gif:

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 269

Sportflics & Non pack issued. And this is where lines get a little blurry and debates begin.

This is from the Topps Now line, which is online direct distribution vs. pack pulled. The modern folks seem to either love or loath this particular line of direct distribution from Topps.

I, myself, am not a Topps On Demand or Topps Now fan, but I love this card for the old school Sportsflics nostalgia and that it's Soto. In my opinion and with it having the exact same image as every other pack pulled version, I dont see how the "must be a pack pulled card" purists discount this card. To each their own and debates are a good thing!

As for the print run, I think the online site runs an advertisement for a certain length of time and however many cards/sets are ordered ends up being the print run number. While other Soto cards, like the Living Set, have print runs of 20K+, this set only rendered a run of less than 300.

Considering that most base refractors seem to be /250, I can see this card eventually being a sleeper/monster later down the road despite being the "not pack pulled" red-headed step child. Especially if his career continues to explode.

My vote regardless of distribution? I love it. And have purchased 5 so far.

edited December 5, 2018 8:26AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@han_soto said:
    As for distribution, not really sure. I assume only in the Topps Update packs, but some "hits" as they are referred to only appear in boxes of: retail, hobby, jumbo, super jumbo, etc. I havent figured out all of that lingo and what is found where.

Doesn't look like it's fully updated for this set yet, but here's the best resource I've found: http://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/index.php/2018_Topps_Update#Insertion_Ratios

Very nice, Kyle! Thank you!

And btw, I do not want that Kenny Rogers card back. It was a gift.

If you happen to see another one just snag it for me. A beater is fine.

ETA: and dont even tell me if you do. I look forward to many moons from now, walking out the the mailbox and gettling slapped by the Gambler.

edited December 28, 2018 2:56AM

2018 Topps Chrome Update #HMT55; Base Refractor

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 250

Distributed randomly inside Topps Chrome Update packs.

Since this was my first dip into the modern pool and mainly because of this particular card, I figured why not have the 1st refractor ever made of it!

As with "jersey cards", there seems to be slight premiums for the first and last cards of the print run. I snagged this one a few weeks back. I felt like I got a good deal as the additional premium was only about $30 and it will probably be my first and only time that I pay extra for manufactured rarity.

@LarkinCollector said:

@han_soto said:

Thank you, Kyle!

And btw: I do not want that Kenny Rogers card back. It was a gift!

But if you happen to run across another later down the road, snag it for me. Even if it's a beater!

And dont even tell me. I look forward to walking out to the mailbox many moons from now and getting slapped in the face by the gambler!

Welp, that's all I have for now at least.

Few coming in the mail. Plenty of more versions to go though.

One good or bad thing about this particular card is that there arent any "on card" autos on these parallels.

They are all stickered.

It's bad because, I love the card and the multiple versions, but there is no way I'm going to pay the duckets that are being shelled out for a sticker that is applied to said card and therein lies "the "good" because my wallet will stay only almost empty because of the '83 Topps Insert run that is on card.

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Nice post. I can add some images on some that I have sitting here on my desk...
    Topps Gold US300

Topps 35th Anniversary Auto

Topps Chrome Xfractor Auto

Topps Chrome Gold Refractor

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: [email protected]

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Face book
  • Are his Tops Chrome auto cards sticker autos ? That's BS they had plenty of time for him to sign them

edited December 5, 2018 12:21PM

@Bharris said:
    Are his Tops Chrome auto cards sticker autos ? That's BS they had plenty of time for him to sign them

Yes, I agree. They did have plenty of time.

Even the superfractor has a sticker. Busch.

It actually surfaced about two weeks ago and made a pretty decent effort at it. Submitted a fairly strong offer to a very nervous, new and frazzled ebay seller. After it sold, he continued to shop it around asking for a "last chance best offer" in which I did not reply. I hate that kinda thing bc it's happened to me on one than more occasion. Few days later I conversed with the buyer and it was good to hear that the seller followed through with the sale because I know of at least one other person that the "last" chance message was sent to as well.

Anyways, glad it did have a sticker auto. If it didnt I woulda snagged it at the BIN now price.

That's the good and the bad as I was previously mentioning! :)

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for sharing.

I'm doing the update set from a few mega Target boxes.

The only insert is "An International Affair" sans any "RC" designations for 2018.

Mike

@tsalems1 said:
    Nice post. I can add some images on some that I have sitting here on my desk...
    Topps Gold US300

Tom,

Sent PM on the gold.

@Stone193 said:
    Thanx for sharing.

I'm doing the update set from a few mega Target boxes.

The only insert is "An International Affair" sans any "RC" designations for 2018.

If you need any cards to fill your set(s), I will send them free of charge.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very kind of you.

Will let you know - there's a point where I get tired of buying boxes @ 20 beans for a few cards.

Mike

edited December 5, 2018 12:28PM

@Stone193 said:
    Very kind of you.

Will let you know - there's a point where I get tired of buying boxes @ 20 beans for a few cards.

I am there too. I just loaded up when target.com was running that sale $16.99 + 5% off red + free shipping.

But it was a blast coming home to boxes on the doorstep and having a good ol rip session.

Way too much packaging though. That big ol "mega box" for 7x4, what 28 cards?

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

I really like the look of the Topps Chrome cards this year. The number of parallels in this one set alone is crazy. Some might think they have gone overboard, but I kind of like it. All of these would have the same photo. There are a few other inserts and variations, but they would have different photos.

Base
    Refractor
    Prism Refractor
    Sepia (retail blasters)
    BW Negative
    Pink (retail value packs)
    X-Fractor
    Purple (#/250)
    Blue (#/150)
    Blue Wave (#/75) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Green (#/99)
    Green Wave (#/99) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Gold (#/50)
    Gold Wave (#/50) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Orange (#/25) regular hobby only
    Red (#/5)
    Red Wave (#/5) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Superfractor (#/1)

Rookie Auto
    Rookie Auto Refractor (#/499)
    Purple Auto (#/250)
    Blue Auto (#/150)
    Blue Wave Auto (#/150)
    Green Auto (#/99)
    Gold Auto (#/50)
    Gold Wave Auto (#/50) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Orange Auto (#/25) regular hobby only
    Red Auto (#/5)
    Red Wave Auto (#/5) hobby and hobby jumbo only
    Superfractor Auto (#/1) hobby and hobby jumbo only

Printing Plate - Black (#/1)
    Printing Plate - Cyan (#/1)
    Printing Plate - Magenta (#/1)
    Printing Plate - Yellow (#/1)

For some reason I decided I wanted to collect the complete set including all the parallels (not the #'d). I would like to have all the #'d cards as well, but it's a lot more difficult to collect all 200 cards when you start getting to gold (#/50), orange (#/25) and red (#/5). I'm well on my way to completing the initial goal. There is a long way to go for the #'d cards.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

edited December 8, 2018 8:12PM

@han_soto said:
    How could the same card, with the same remarkable image, be found in at least 4 different distribution methods by Topps? The simple answer? It just is.

Up to the 5th distribution/set this card and image appear:

2018 Topps Update On Demand Mini set.

Add another card and im sure a few parallels to the “search and destroy” pile.

edited December 28, 2018 1:39AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; Black

Front:

Back:

Numbered /67

Distributed in packs of '18 Topps Update.

Just like those '71s or '86 top borders, this one is condition sensitive. Scanner over-embellishes, but the top corners are slightly touched (rest is dust).

These have been going quickly as soon as they've been getting posted. This black is #33/67, which is one of my roulette numbers (33 black) and the halfway point thru the entire print run of the black parallel.

Had it been a red parallel with #33, I would have passed on it. Dont know why, but stupid little things like this always factor into whether or not I pull the trigger on cards.

• JKTJKT Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Great cards and write ups! Big Soto fan here. Kid can flat out hit.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Thank you!

And going to list the different forms of distribution thus far because I think we are up to 6 now for this card/image:

2018 Topps Update
    2018 Topps Update Chrome
    2018 Topps On Demand 3D
    2018 Topps On Demand Mini
    2018 Topps Walmart Holi. Megas*
    2018 Topps Update Chrome Pink

• think these are for the regular base set, inwhich soto isnt in, but he does have a signed insert of this card/image.

There has only been one that has surfaced so far. I bought it but as of now it states it has been lost in the mail. fun fun.

edited December 11, 2018 8:30AM

2018 Topps Holiday Mega #A-JS

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 10

Well she arrived. Apparently it was sitting down at my neighbors house for a solid week before she was kind enough to bring it over. Or maybe it was the case that had to be open and the mailman retracing his step. Either way, it's here.

This card is distributed in the regular topps holiday mega boxes. A set that this base card isnt even in. I guess just a ploy to possibly sell more boxes. Who knows. Not sure if there are cards /25, /50 or a /100 but I certainly hope not.

It was hard to tell from the listing's picture and even my own scan, but I was hoping this auto was "on card" but alas, it's stickered. At least they moved the "RC" logo around on it giving the base characteristics a different look.

edited December 28, 2018 1:45AM

2018 Topps Holiday Mega #A-JS

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 10

Well she finally arrived. PO says delivered last week but the neighbor just walked it down today.

All of the other packed pulled versions of this card come from either Topps Update or Topps Update Chrome boxes. This card, however, is found in the Walmart Topps Mega boxes. Note no "update" in those words. Soto isnt even in the regular Topps set. So. I guess Topps just threw in this to sell more boxes because you have zero chance of pulling a base Soto out of any of those packs.

It was hard to tell via the original listing's scan and even my own if the auto was on card or stickered. Unfortunately it's stickered. As of now I do not know if there is a card /25, /50, /100, but I hope not since it's stickered.

I do like how they moved the "RC" logo around to change up the basic card characteristics though.

edited December 28, 2018 1:50AM

2018 Topps Update US300; B&W Negative

Front:

Back:

Nothing too fancy or shiny here.

Found randomly in 2018 Topps Update packs.

edited December 28, 2018 1:55AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; Gold

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 2018

Nothing too fancy or shiny here either.

edited December 28, 2018 2:21AM

2018 Topps Update Chrome #HMT55; Orange Auto'd Refractor

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 25

Inserted randomly inside Topps Update Chrome packs.

Ok, technically my 2nd stickered auto in hand. The holiday one above is very discreet and gets the fly by.
    I do have a regular auto refractor in route, but I tend to agree with the side that is anti-stickered auto.
    From here on out it will just be non-auto'd parallels.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this thread. I'm not a collector of the brand new baseball issues either but I just recently fell in love with the 2018 Heritage High Numbers set. I've got all sorts of boxes headed my way and I'm looking forward to pulling Soto, Acuna, Torres, and Ohtani. Your Soto is a really nice looking card. I should probably diversify.

Thanks for taking the time to share these with us.

Arthur

Thank you Reggie!

edited December 28, 2018 2:16AM

2018 Topps Update Chrome #HMT55; Refractor

Front:

Back:

??? / ???

Shiny & Stickery. Ehh.

Vintage side starting to seep back in a little bit. Starting to really appreciate the US300 paper type parallels vs. the chrome HMT55 shiny & stickered stuff.

Definite last stickered card ever.

I just did some searching on the bay. What's the difference between this Soto card and the horizontal Soto card? Is one considered his rookie card and the other isn't? I still don't completely grasp the inner workings of the post-2000 collecting world.

Arthur

• robert67robert67 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 2:45PM

Quite a collection you are working on. As far as sticker autos go, that one is not so bad.

I have really enjoyed this thread.

Hmt98/us104 are the rookie debut cards. Not too popular. I think it's a cool looking card and have pulled various versions outta packs. They only go for about 1/5th to 1/10th of what the other ones go for.

The black US104 looks really cool with his bat following the lines.

Here's a few:

And while not the black version, you can kind of see how the bat follows the lines vs the other version. Much more prominent of the black:

Ah okay. That makes sense, thanks.

edited December 28, 2018 1:19AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; Father's Day Blue

Front:

Back:

Numbered / 50

Called the Father's Day Blue. There is also a pink Mother's Day version that isnt too far off from the pink chrome refractor pictured above.

One of my favorites thus far!!

That's a nice looking card. How close are you to completing the rainbow? Your collection is very impressive.

Arthur

edited December 18, 2018 8:39AM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    That's a nice looking card. How close are you to completing the rainbow? Your collection is very impressive.

Arthur

Thanks, Reggie. And great question. One that I have been thinking about for the longest time, prior to even starting this run.

First, I kind of have a question of my own (for any modern collectors, really).

**Has there been a card that has had the same image but distributed in several different products or methods such as this card before? **

Obviously not talking about anniversary cards, buybacks, turn back the clock, type cards. I am talking about the same image, same season, multiple product lines, type basis?

Second, the term "rainbow". Probably what initially turned me away from "modern" when reentering the hobby. I didnt walk 10 miles uphill (both ways), in the blistering cold or anything.

But, back in my day if someone said you were "chasing rainbows" you might end up in a fisticuffs. I make it a point to never mock or make fun of what another collector chooses to pursue, but something about the term "rainbow" never really sat well with me.

What defines a rainbow? I dont honestly know. Here is the criteria of what the hobby term rainbow means to me.

1st: Shiny stuff, ie chrome, prizm, etc.
    2nd: Completion of the various colors
    3rd: Every version of that card available during that run of product.
    4th: Obtaining the superfractor
    5th: The card is the same number throughout the run
    6th: You know from the get-go how many cards will be need to complete said rainbow

Again, I dont know if what I listed as "completing the rainbow" above is the hobby standard, but from my limited dip, that’s what I think it most likely means.

With that being said, and I have thought about this quite a bit, I dont think what I am trying to pursue consists of a rainbow run because:

1st: Multiple product lines (Topps Update, Topps Chrome, Topps Mini, Topps 3D, etc)
    2nd: These cards have 3 different numbers so far (US300, HMT55 & 86)
    3rd: Most of the cards listed already are paper, not chrome or shiny
    4th: They've added 2 more distribution lines for this card since Ive started. 3D & Mini
    5th: And I'm sure they'll squeeze out another release via Topps On Demand before the fiscal year is over.

So, to me, I dont necessarily think the term rainbow is applicable here.

I'm thinking some other sort of term might be needed. If there is already a term, please let me know. If there isnt and anyone can think of a good term to use, by all means, please suggest one bc I'm looking to ride Dorthy’s tornado "somewhere over the rainbow". Way over. Where we’re going we dont need roads...

What you're doing would be considered chasing the rainbow. It's a loose term and folks adjust it to suit their needs when it comes to the really low-count stuff (no one considers the 1/1 or probably even the /25 stuff as part of the rainbow simply because it would limit the number of collectors able to do it). Basically, it just means collecting all the variations of one particular card. It doesn't matter if the photo was used on another card, or if it's numbered differently elsewhere. If you're collecting HMT55, you don't need the US300 or any other cards that aren't HMT55.

As far as the term rainbow, if you're that insecure about it, just call it Chasing Skittles or something. Or make up your own term. I just used that for the purposes of posing the question.

Arthur

edited December 23, 2018 7:27PM

I know and thats why I specifically said “great question” and naturally intended to hear it. Its an industry term and I get it.

Please know I didnt think you were bashing it by any means. I apologize if you thought I was calling you out or anything. Not my intention at all.

Guess what I was saying is that most rainbows I have seen posted were basically same product, same line, same number and typically all shiny/chrome stuff.

And most modern collectors scoff at the idea of any Topps Now or Topps On Demand cards needed to complete their rainbows.

edited December 18, 2018 10:42AM

If you're collecting HMT55, you don't need the US300 or any other cards that aren't HMT55.

Arthur

I am not just collecting the HMT55, the US300 or the 86. I am collecting them all as one run. And where as most would just do the rainbow run on the HMT55 and scoff at the Topps On Demand cards, I welcome any additions (before the next season product comes out). The journey is my goal, not the destination. And so far, the destination is not even clear bc they've released 2 more products w/ the image since Ive started the run.

After reading your response more thoroughly, this is exactly why I posed my questions.

I think a new term might definitely be needed. And yes, something non-rainbow related. :)

Ahh, now I understand. You're right, you're tackling a different animal altogether.

I just IMDBed Rainbow Brite and it turns out the antagonist in the cartoon was named Murky Dismal. I believe you now have a name for your endeavor.

Arthur

Cool. I thought I was, but wasn't entirely too sure myself.

And I do like the word "Dismal" and "Murky" so that let's keep those on the table as possibilities.

A non-poster, texted me with correction . We are actually up to 4 different card numbers with the Walmart Holiday Mega release:

1. Regular Update #US300
    2. Update Chrome #HMT55
    3. Topps 3D #86
    4. Walmart Holiday #A-JS

edited December 28, 2018 2:07AM

2018 Topps Update #US300; No Topps Logo

Front:

Back:

Probably not an official variation, but I like it.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

Nice Murky Dismal so far!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

edited December 19, 2018 10:42AM

HA!! Is it sticking?

Bahahaha! Love it!

Arthur

• JKTJKT Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Great cards. Love seeing your new additions.

To answer one of your above questions, Topps recycled the exact same photo of Mike Trout for both their 2017 and 2018 Series 1 photo variation short prints. No idea why....seems beneath Topps especially considering Trout's popularity.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.