Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advise on photography

I received my little cheesey usb scope today and began my quest for undocumented proof RPM's. As with most Chinese wonder tools this came with limited directions and I immediately hit a roadblock. Seems throughout the years some slabs have scratched and naturally right where I am trying to inspect. So I am reaching out to all Macgyver-type diy home remedy buffs for today's questions. Just exactly what can be done to shoot a decent photo through these obstacles or is there one?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 6:08AM

Polish the slab with a non-abrasive to fill-in the scratches.

Experiment in a small area away from the coin until you get the right polish/scratch filler.

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Shoot a softer light like a halogen so it does not reflect so much on the plastic, move the light farther away, and angle until you do not see the light reflection

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins

I never really noticed how scratched my slabs were...............Until I started to take photos of them,
    Here's a link to a discussion I posted earlier this year on slab scratches [there are many here] https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11951692#Comment_11951692
    BEFORE

Got some Plastx.............................. :smile: and used Manual focus...thanks @lkeigwin
    AFTER

Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2018 6:47AM

Nevermind.

@1630Boston ttt the thread

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget doing it with light, get rid of the scratches by polishing or fill in the scratches with oil for the photo.

I have two sitting on my desk that I have to take care of today.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just used SANDPAPER on two slabs ........ :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file