Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are Top 4 Classic Commem Halves you have been able retail consistently?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 20, 2018 1:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My take: Gettysburg, California, Spanish Trail, Oregon

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some others Long Island, Pilgrim

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hawaiian was long been popular because of its unusual origins, low mintage and status as the #1 commemorative half dollar.

The Pan-Pac is popular along with the Missouri because it’s harder to find higher grade examples. The Missouri half dollars, especially Plain version, were often sold to non-collectors who didn’t know how to preserve them in the top grades. From what I’ve read the Plain coins were mostly sold to farmers at the Missouri State Fair.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely in order to how quickly nice (albeit rather generic) pieces have moved at reasonable prices-

1) Oregon
    2) Texas
    3) Columbian
    4) Connecticut

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Yes like those 4 too. Nice Conn tough locate. Oregon my fav

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

The onesI wish I had kept from my type set, Hawiian, Oregon, Antietam and Gettysburg.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Likely in order to how quickly nice (albeit rather generic) pieces have moved at reasonable prices-

1) Oregon
    2) Texas
    3) Columbian
    4) Connecticut

Agree. Next two are likely San Diego and Pilgrim. All very pleasant designs with wide appeal to collectors.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a dealer, however, when I was going to shows, the one's that seemed to move quickly with good premiums were Oregon, Texas, California and Connecticut.... I have been away from the circuit for years now, so it may well have changed. Cheers, RickO

I am always on lookout for say nice MS64 California

• LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

At Maryland shows, Antietam and Gettysburg halves move well. For obvious reasons.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked the PanPac, VT, CA, and Hawaii, Isabella quarter, all tough to find as nice Uncs..

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018 10:59AM

RE:
    The Hawaiian was long been popular because of its unusual origins, low mintage and status as the #1 commemorative half dollar.
    #1, ??? What do you mean #1?

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oregon
    Texas
    California
    Stone Mountain(not sure why)
    Colo Exp, its cheap and gets their foot in the door.

• StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

When I was a dealer, nice Monroes in 64 or 65 went quick, Oregon Trails sold the most and Antietam and Gettysburg were usually sought by collectors. The few times I had a nicely toned Cleveland or Long Island, they got ample attention. I remember a nicely toned run of Clevelands in a Goldberg auction a few years ago. The most wildly toned one, a CAC 67, I chased to 5 grand before bowing out and I believe it went for 8. I bought the next coin in the auction, another 67 CAC, for over 2 grand and some change, and even though it wasn't as nice as the monster one, I was really pleased with it. I also bought three 66's in that sale, and Truthteller bought all three coins. He really liked the MS67 I bought. In fact, he and I would always talk commems and he always appreciated a nicely toned piece, usually he looked for Clevelands and Long Islands. I really miss Dave and those conversations we had, in the aisles at shows.

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Yes like those 4 too. Nice Conn tough locate. Oregon my fav

Dude, they no longer charge you to use compete words or sentences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file