Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have at it, you savages.

Fresh meat for the pack. Seller is the buyer, confirmed by the seller of the original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1887-Morgan-Dollar-PCGS-MS63-OGH-Rattler-/253912324504

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 1:43PM

Here are the original seller photo's and the one currently on ebay.
    This guy is a cook and a crook.
    The white Morgan was sold via ebay and delivered to the current seller on 10/29 - less than a month later, it's now a rainbow?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Wow that's wild!
    Is it evil that the toned version looks nicer to me?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double Wow!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an expert in monster toners(or anything else for the most part)...but the colors don't have a natural look to me at all.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all that impressive as monster toners go.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the "Lady Scarface" variety?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Probably nothing... then again.

The scratches that can be seen on the slab do not seem to match. These are just observations based upon the above pics, comparing top pic to bottom pic:

-scratches under 1887
    -scratches under MS63
    -scratch at 2:00 near outside edge of coin
    -there is more...got tired of typing

To be fair, lighting and angle are factors and my observations could be way off.

Probably better to compare coins but the slab jumped at me first.

What is the incidence rate of home re-slabbers?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

The scratches that can be seen on the slab do not seem to match. These are just observations based upon the above pics, comparing top pic to bottom pic:

-scratches under 1887
    -scratches under MS63

To be fair, lighting and angle are factors and my observations could be way off.

Hack under Liberty's eye and mark on jaw make it easy to show it's the same coin. Are you saying that the slab was opened and the coin gassed before being put back into a different slab with the same tag? Whether or not that's the case, if it's possible, it's yet another reason for PCGS to invalidate this cert.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

-scratches under 1887
    -scratches under MS63

My dude, same serial number, bro.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 2:32PM

So he removed it from slab, doctored it, put it back in?

Or did he heat it in the slab?

No doubt same coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I am No Expert, I would assume it was tarnished in the slab JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great detective work and THANKS for the post!

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

-scratches under 1887
    -scratches under MS63

Could Be. o:)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Gassed in the slab would be my guess. I'm pretty sure this is the only time this has ever happened. ;)

It’s 2006 all over again
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/535409/pcgs-forum-members-please-accept-my-apologies/p1

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

@BryceM said:
    Gassed in the slab would be my guess. I'm pretty sure this is the only time this has ever happened. ;)

Several years ago, on this very board, a CU member was caught red handed doing exactly the same thing. Gave some totally BS excuse which no one with two active brain cells ever believed. If memory serves me correctly, he confessed and gave his mea culpas. How soon they forget, and to think, he still posts here today......................

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    You dont have to remove these from the slab.

You put the slab in a vacuum chamber, vacuum out the air, and add your toning agent to the chamber... Or something like that.

This is exactly what happened. Slabs are definitely not air tight. Rattler slabs especially so.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

You put the slab in a vacuum chamber, vacuum out the air, and add your toning agent to the chamber... Or something like that.

This comment leaves me cold. Do you know or are you guessing? I think it would be very educational to learn the exact process as I'm 100% sure many on this forum know how it is done.

The ONLY time I actually saw slabs from five different TPGS's tested for air tight properties was done with Hydrogen Sulfide in a zip lock bag using a fume hood. There was no perceptible change and all but one slab passed. No heat or vacuum was used and the slabs were only exposed for a short time.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the original better

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would assume a vacuum sucks all of the air out of the chamber (presumably including what is in the slab), and then the magic gas is introduced into the chamber. Once the chamber is depressurized, it and everything in it is filled with the tainted air.

Something like that.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Great detective work.

Both versions are ugly. That said, perhaps the guy tested a cheap coin to see how things work out. Next step could be a better date in a better grade. Ugh!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@FadeToBlack said:

This comment leaves me cold. Do you know or are you guessing? I think it would be very educational to learn the exact process as I'm 100% sure many on this forum know how it is done.

The ONLY time I actually saw slabs from five different TPGS's tested for air tight properties was done with Hydrogen Sulfide in a zip lock bag using a fume hood. There was no perceptible change and all but one slab passed. No heat or vacuum was used and the slabs were only exposed for a short time.

Check a couple posts above yours, you can get the full details from the forum member caught doing this. He is still a member today.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 3:13PM

@Insider2 said:

@FadeToBlack said:

I don't believe that it benefits the hobby to have that information shared on a public forum.

...and for the record, I do not know the process.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 3:28PM

@Colonialcoin said:
    Great detective work.

Both versions are ugly. That said, perhaps the guy tested a cheap coin to see how things work out. Next step could be a better date in a better grade. Ugh!

It’s likely profitable enough with cheap coins. This example was bought for $60 and is already over $100 with a few days to go. That seller sold another gassed rattler for $262. At that pace they don’t even have to move on to bigger targets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Natural-Rainbow-Toned-1886-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Pcgs-OGH-Rattler-MS61/183492750463?hash=item2ab9052c7f:g:x7AAAOSwVFJbyQRy#vi__app-cvip-panel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1886-PHILADELPHIA-MORGAN-DOLLAR-PCGS-MS61-/401601295543?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2349624.m43663.l44720#vi__app-cvip-panel

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I particularly like how that one is advertised as naturally toned.

Me think he doth protest too much.....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why all this intense toning stuff should be either a negative or irrelevant. The professional numismatists and scientists know what naturally progressive toning looks like on silver. So what's next? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

-scratches under 1887
    -scratches under MS63

To quote myself, “Probably nothing...” and “Probably better to compare coins...”

Still, what is the incidence rate of home re-slabbing and/or modifications to a slab?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad they decided to dip it. Looks much better white then with that nasty AT.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyLittleTrees said:

@Insider2 said:
    Great detective work and THANKS for the post!

Was discovered by the seller. I contribute nothing to society.

You're the top poster at that Refugee place.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocking, to say the least.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Hopefully our hosts are seeing this sort of crap and are thinking of what they could do to protect both the unsuspecting buyer and the integrity of their brand. There are times like this where there is sufficient evidence to pull a cert on an old coin and show that it has been doctored in the slab. Cert lookup would then show an "invalidated" cert and show why.

100% agree!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    So he removed it from slab, doctored it, put it back in?

Or did he heat it in the slab?

No doubt same coin.

No need to remove it from the slab. Rattlers are not especially airtight.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

What I would do.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I particularly like how that one is advertised as naturally toned.

Me think he doth protest too much.....

It's a natural result of the conditions to which it was exposed.

• Options

Why doesn't someone ask the current CU member who performed this stunt over a decade ago that I mentioned earlier? His work was more than just one or two slabs. Forgotten, or merely taking the ostrich head in the sand option?

• Options

@HappyLittleTrees said:
    I asked the seller if he toned it. Response: "Absolutely not. I don't think anyone can artificially tone a coin in a holder. Hope this answers your question. Have a great night."

How many of his other listings are similarly toned?

• Options

What's the likelihood that eBay would bounce you for auction interference if you asked the seller too many questions?

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Next advancement. Textile toning while in the slab! Get to work boys (and girls).

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

No biggie. A thirty dollar coin. Fifteen of it being the plastic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file