Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Building the Aud Club ***7/9 photos.***

LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Z

Kevin

Comments

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

This is looking great so far!

Besides collecting cards my other main hobby is woodworking so I love these types of things.

We moved into a new house earlier this year and one of the first things I did was remodel the office closet. I ripped out the existing shelf and pole and replaced it with adjustable shelving from floor to ceiling. Now it's my card closet. (see profile pic)

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 said:
    This is looking great so far!

Besides collecting cards my other main hobby is woodworking so I love these types of things.

We moved into a new house earlier this year and one of the first things I did was remodel the office closet. I ripped out the existing shelf and pole and replaced it with adjustable shelving from floor to ceiling. Now it's my card closet. (see profile pic)

Checked it out. Looks very nice. But...... could use a little more hockey on those shelves. ;);)

Kevin

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Kevin that's incredible!

I could never attack anything like that - I guess I got too old - or just plain lack of desire.

Gonna look great when finished.

I have to confess - I still haven't finished my back room - it involves so much organizing that I can find any excuse to steer clear.

Perhaps you've inspired me?

Great job buddy.

Mike
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Off to a great start! I really dig the floor
    What's the color gray on the wall? Is it tied into the Aud color scheme? Gonna look killer with an '85 uncut sheet on the wall 😉

@initialD said:
    Off to a great start! I really dig the floor
    What's the color gray on the wall? Is it tied into the Aud color scheme? Gonna look killer with an '85 uncut sheet on the wall 😉

Thanks! I'm happy with how the floor turned out too. I've laid hardwood before back up north. Staple it down, fast and easy. Down here in the SW with it on a concrete slab it's a messy job. You glue it down and man what a pain. It would be better as a two man job with one guy trowling out the adhesive and the second guy racking and setting the planks.

The grey is just a color that goes with the rest of the house. No tie in with the Aud. The cabinets and shelves are going to be a darker charcoal grey sort of like this:

Kevin

Are those shelves in your house Kevin?

They're killer!

Mike

Mike,

Those aren’t mine. It’s a web image that I’m using as inspiration to pattern mine. My lowers won’t be drawers they’ll be doors with shelving inside. Also my lowers will be deeper than the upper shelving.

Kevin

Kevin

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the doors latch better than the Aud's

https://youtu.be/AEw4Dy_p2Gg

:D

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aud club? Don't forget Patrick Kane, front row on the glass, 1994 Pinnacle Sylvain Turgeon!

puckjunk.com/2015/06/15/patrick-kanes-first-hockey-card/

:D

I'll make sure it closes but not too tight. Funny story about the doors at the Aud. Did you ever hear about Sabres trainer Jim Pizzutelli? His nickname was Pizza. If you did it's probably because he's the guy who saved Clint Malarchuk's life. In the Aud teams would enter from two doors at the end of the rink behind the Sabres net. He used to stand at the gate which led to the Sabres locker room which was why he was so close to Malarchuk when it happened.

Funny thing about that door. Pizza would stand there and during the second period when the Sabres were attacking that way he'd lean on the door when the Sabres ringed the puck around from the RW side. It would cause the door to stick out proud of the boards and the puck would carom out of the corner to the front of the net and catch the goalie in no mans land. He has a few assists to his credit.

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:21PM

Com

Kevin

Small update. I have the four sections of cases on the front wall complete and will get them installed this weekend.

Holidays slowed progress as we had house guests for almost 2 weeks. So while I didn’t get to really work on the room I did start on some of the furnishings. I plan to have a narrow bar height table behind the main sitting area. I decided to use the two sets of orange seats that I had from the Aud as bar stools.

Here’s the progress on those. First the bottoms and backs.

Here are the arm brackets they actually came out of the KC stadium but are the same pattern as the Aud.

Here they are with the bottoms of the brackets cut off.

I sandblasted them to remove the old powder coating. And this is them primed.

And after paint. Yes. The orange is bright.

I’ll hit them with another coat this weekend let them cure for a few days and assemble them next week.

Kevin

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any progress on The Aud, Kevin?

Andy

edited June 26, 2020 4:21PM

X

Kevin

Great stuff. Looking forward to how this turns out. Good luck with it, Kevin. And thanks for the update.

Andy

Andy

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Very Nice,
    Im gonna do some customizing to the Studio Shop My self

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller

Updated photos coming soon. I finally got back on task after Gymnastics States & Regionals for one daughter, swim competition season for another daughter, Basketball season for my boys, and Cheer competition season for my youngest daughter. I will post some pics tomorrow and probably early next week as I move in. Hoping to finish the led shelf lighting and crown molding this weekend. I still will need to build the cabinet doors but I hope to start using the room before the Cup final.

I have a question for those that have card display easals and stands. Do you have any particular favorites for graded cards? Everything I see on eBay has ungraded cards on them. Well except for those beautiful PSA stands but they are a bit too pricey to justify when you need about 1k of them.

So if anyone has any suggestions on which they like or dislike I'd appreciate your feedback.

Kevin

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:22PM

L

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:22PM

Kevin

edited June 2, 2019 9:37PM

Anyone who has displayed PSA slabbed cards have any advice on the proper amount of height difference between rows?

Kevin

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 9:43PM

That's a great idea about stadium seating. Maybe a few tiers out of some uncommon species of hardwood.

Add a groove to these shelves and they would work for graded cards.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

edited June 26, 2020 4:23PM

Kevin

Wow Kevin

Your room has come out super!

I like the lights in all of the shelves - thought about but didn't act on it.

You'll most likely beat me out since I haven't done anything in quite some time. Have lost interest right now.

Probably since there's no one around me to get me motivated?

Nice job buddy.

Mike

Kevin

Where does "The Legends of the Seven One Six" go?

Love watching this come together, Kevin. Best of luck.

Andy

edited June 23, 2019 2:03PM

Back to setting up shelves today. The small display stands I ordered finally arrived. First one for the day is my 1970 Sabres shelf

Kevin

1971 shelf. This may be my favorite card design of the ‘70s.

Kevin

Looks really good Kevin.

I'm working on display also - I have white shelves - kind of like the dark color you have better.

Thanx for sharing.

Mike
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019 8:34PM

Very nice. The boxes and packs are really cool.

You have to love the early 70's Topps/OPC "artists". What kid wouldn't be frightened by the 70 Tracey Pratt? And lest we forget Larry "this is not (most likely) Dave Dryden's body" Hillman in 71.

edited so as to not hijack the thread. Awesome display room.

Kevin

@Stone193 said:
    Looks really good Kevin.

I'm working on display also - I have white shelves - kind of like the dark color you have better.

Thanx for sharing.

That’s funny. I would have preferred white. In our last house it would have been perfect. In this house a darker color was needed. Don’t be shy to share some of your display setup Mike.

Kevin

edited June 23, 2019 5:39PM

I'll be putting up picks as I set up the displays...

I have 2 rooms - and one is so crowded with stuff - looks like I'm a hoarder!

Keep the pics coming buddy.

Mike
    edited June 26, 2020 4:24PM

Kevin

I like the way the lighting helps to see things that you're shooting.

I think Mary's iPhone takes better pics than my camera. Hard to shoot at night.

Mike

@georgebailey2 said:

You have to love the early 70's Topps/OPC "artists". What kid wouldn't be frightened by the 70 Tracey Pratt? And lest we forget Larry "this is not (most likely) Joe Daley's body" Hillman in 71. The 72 and 78 (the year of the goalie warm-up skate) seem to have the biggest disparity between "my masterpiece" as compared to "f### it, I don't have time for this". 72, compare Bill Flett to, well, pretty much anybody on the Islanders or Flames, but Ed Westphall, in particular. In 78, compare Gary Edwards or Gilles Meloche to Ron Low.

For 71 I believe they used Dave's Drydens body with Hillmans head. That's pretty disrespectful to a 5x Stanley Cup Champ!

Kevin

Forgot to mention - super job on the seats!

Mike
    edited June 23, 2019 8:36PM

@LOTSOS said:

@georgebailey2 said:

You have to love the early 70's Topps/OPC "artists". What kid wouldn't be frightened by the 70 Tracey Pratt? And lest we forget Larry "this is not (most likely) Joe Daley's body" Hillman in 71. The 72 and 78 (the year of the goalie warm-up skate) seem to have the biggest disparity between "my masterpiece" as compared to "f### it, I don't have time for this". 72, compare Bill Flett to, well, pretty much anybody on the Islanders or Flames, but Ed Westphall, in particular. In 78, compare Gary Edwards or Gilles Meloche to Ron Low.

For 71 I believe they used Dave's Drydens body with Hillmans head. That's pretty disrespectful to a 5x Stanley Cup Champ!

You may be right. I checked and didn't realize that Hillman began the 71-72 season on LA. Dryden switched from 28 in 70-71 to 30 in 71-72. So that could be Dryden. It is definitely a different pose than the 72-73 Dryden card, but could be from the same photo shoot. Hard to believe that Dryden was older than Crozier.

When I was looking at Hillman, he was a 4x cup winner. My first year watching the Flyers was 71-72, so Larry had come and gone, but I remember his brother, Wayne, was on the Flyers that year. And, as mentioned before, Gerry Meehan's crushing goal with 4 seconds left in the season that knocked the Flyers out of a playoff spot. I suppose the 75 finals evened up the score.

The 72-72 display is awesome. I take it you're still looking for an empty box for that year.

edited June 23, 2019 6:55PM

God, those cards are so beautiful, Kevin. So, so beautiful. This is a remarkable collection, and the display is magnificent. Keep it up. And keep the pics coming. Good luck on the rest of it!

Andy

Kevin

@LOTSOS said:
    1973 Shelf. This is the first but not the last shelf with a Hammer appearance for you @ahopkins Andy.

Awesome. Love the empty boxes.

I am giving Rick Martin a 5 minute major for spearing.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks SWEET Kevin!! I ran out of room in my house to do something cool like what you are doing. My basement man cave is full of dead critters :)

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Wow - you get a room with a pool table / ping pong table, and a separate mancave room for just cards? Nice job just on that alone! Room looks terrific -- wish I was handy to be able to take on a project like this!

Kevin

Here is a shelf with some miscellaneous memorabilia.

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:25PM

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:25PM

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:26PM

Kevin

edited June 26, 2020 4:26PM