Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Satchel Paige Auto on a Sports Illustrated article advice........Update--Custom card is done

steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2018 5:11PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I've had since 81 or so. I used to correspond with a card shop (yes before Ebay) and buy cards, etc. I picked this auto up from them back then. I lived in the Cleveland area so it was probably a card shop in that area. It is a Sports Illustrated article about a made for tv movie. The question I have......is it real and would it be worth getting encapsulated to protect it? It's already showing it's age. Any helpful advice would be appreciated....

Custom card arrived back today thanks to member alifaxwa2

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians

Comments

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018 12:13PM

If it were mine ... I'd get a Quick Opinion from PSA, its like $10 ... if deemed "likely", I'd then get a nice custom made card with a cut auto (probably modeled after his 53 topps card, but maybe his 48 leaf), there are a couple guys on this board that do really incredible work. I'd then send the custom card to PSA for auto grade.

Cool item ... too bad the P in Paige goes over the magazine text.

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks good basing only on one I had previously and a few other examples on line. Check out some of his business cards for the Springfield Redbirds. Looks similar to other late in life autos for old Satch

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @GreenSneakers, it's a small signature on a not so attractive magazine page. Customize it!

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Neat piece. I'd definitely get it encapsulated/authenticated if it were me.

• That's awesome! I will disagree with those who suggested cutting it out. I think it's a cool period piece that would look great framed as is.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me. It'd look great in a custom card.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Since the sig goes into the type...and the page is ripped...I'd cut it out and include the whole type about Gosset. Design a cool custom and maybe even include an inset of Lou Gosset Jr. On the back and take excepts from the article/movie for the back write up of the custom.

I'd even consider doing it in stages. Have the custom made without putting the Paige sig in. Then get Gosset to sign it (probably the back) and complete the card for subbing.

Then you have a HOFer and an Academy Award winner on the same card, and you have context to the type you're forced to include.

I think that'd be a cool piece.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know the board member who does custom cards? I remember seeing those threads a while back. I'll see what ideas he might come up with.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Do you know the board member who does custom cards? I remember seeing those threads a while back. I'll see what ideas he might come up with.

@alifaxwa2

thanks

• Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Nice!

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

That turned out really nice!

edited November 17, 2018 9:47AM

Now the next step is to send for Psa/Dna. Looks like it will be over $100 to get that done......is it worth it?

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nice custom card. Congrats.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Custom card arrived today thanks to member alifaxwa2

That turned out very nice! Alifaxwa2 does a really nice job on those customs. I would pay the money and have it slabbed and authenticated.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball