Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few more British Trade Dollars

Just got these and a couple others back from grading

1904/0-B - super tough date. AU Details

1907-B MS63. Check out the clash on the center of the obverse!

1908-B MS65

1912-B MS64

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, and I think the design rivals the US TD.

thefinn
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and fantastic imaging.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice grades

Did you buy those taw or crossed ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

All raw.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    All raw.

That’s a huge score.

Bought at a show?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the counterfeits out there I give you credit for buying them raw.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2018 5:05PM

Bought a collection. I had a others already in holders so that I could get a feeling for the "fabric" of the real thing. I figure I'm leveraging my attention to detail that goes with my study of Morgan dollars. Hopefully I don't get burned by this. It would be cool to have access to enough to be able to study dies and document diagnostics of real ones, as well as doubled dies (like the 1908) and other stuff. The dies seem to have been used a lot, because there is a lot of die wear and cracks on many of these. Also some have pretty strong clash marks, like the 1907.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them and want one for my own collection! Congratulations on the collection!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice clash! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anecdotally, I see fewer of these with chops compared to American trade dollars. Any idea why?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's your examination regime that helps you to avoid buying a counterfeit. Any particular reference book? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I wish there were reference books for this series. I've looked at a lot of Morgan dollars and I have feel for how the metal flows on a real coin compared with a counterfeit, how dies age, how certain sharp details should look on real coins, and where they're missing on the fakes. It seems that translates well to these coins once you know what some real ones look like. The first few I bought were all certified pieces.

The biggest reason they probably don't have chop marks that often is that they were made mostly for use in the Straits Settlements (until 1903 and Hong Kong. The British, starting in 1895, were late on the scene making these, compared with the US, China, France, and Japan.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

A great design. Beautiful stuff.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷