Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coins in Movies - James Bond's British sovereigns vs Matt Helm's British half crowns

In the 1963 film "From Russia with Love" British secret agent James Bond (Sean Connery) is given an attache case with fifty British gold sovereign coins.

"From Russia with Love" British sovereign coins

In the 1966 film "Murderers Row", American secret agent Matt Helm (Dean Martin) is given a box with three British half crown coins.

"Murderers Row" box with three coins (upper right)

"Murderers Row" British half crown coin dated 1963

Given the difference in values between the two coins, it appears that the American is traveling on the cheap.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Matt Helms Mercury Station Wagon with the tent that rolled out of the back and self inflated into a luxury suite was cool :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's cool to see coins when watching a movie!

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Probably just enough for one martini at the time...had to keep Dean on a short leash.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good tovarisch from 1963 might have been reluctant to take an Elizabeth gold sovereign.

It might have been past the era where that gold would get a comrade in front of the firing squad, but maybe not by much.

Bad guys probably wouldn't have had any qualms.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what those gold coins looked like in the Clint Eastwood movie The Good Bad and Ugly ? :)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.