Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some modern fake China/Japan minors, plus one contemporary :)

WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited September 22, 2018 11:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Recently picked these up hoping there would be a contemporary one in there, but sadly all appear to be modern and all stick to a magnet. Luckily I didn't pay much. The first Japanese one is especially a reminder to all who subscribe to the attitude that ultra common/cheap stuff does not get faked :)
I purchased them based on not-so-close-up photos and the Manchuria coin was the only one that looked obviously suspect.

Japan 50 sen year 13 (1924). Weight ~4.15 grams compared to reference 4.95

Kwangtung, China 20 cents (1890-1908). Weight ~5.8 grams compared to reference 5.5

Kwangtung, China 20 cents year 8 (1919). Weight ~5.5 compared to reference 5.4

Manchuria, China 20 cents (1911). Weight ~4.0 grams compared to reference 5.2. Worth noting that the weight for genuine examples appears to range from 4.7 to 5.4 grams or so.

Edge shots show the coins in the order listed, top to bottom.

Edit: I'd be remiss to not include this actual contemporary counterfeit that I purchased from another member here some time ago. Fukien, China 20 cents (1903-1908). Weight ~4.4 compared to reference of 5.4. Made of paktong or other form of early cupro-nickel; non-magnetic and non-diamagnetic. Made from crude dies which were cut by people unfamiliar with western alphabets.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for allowing me to learn thru your travails. Reminder that we need to learn about fakes vs the real mcCoy. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall