Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Went to a coin show in Niagara Falls, NY today.

Only bought one coin, a beautifully toned 1973 Canadian Silver Dollar, but what amazes me is the prices some dealers are asking for common coins. I went looking to buy some 80% silver Canadian dollars, common coins, common grade. Melt is about $8.50 on these. I saw a bunch of them in a dealer's case with the price of $33 on them. I'm talking circulated coins from the 60s. I swear, this guy hasn't changed his price since silver was $40/oz. I did see one dealer have BU dollars for $17 each, I was willing to pay $10 so I didn't even bother to ask. I didn't see many transactions going on. Mainly US coins, which looked over priced to me. Is this common at small shows in your area?

Roman, one guy had a nice selection of 8 reales, one with many, many chopmarks, but I don't know enough about them to know if his pricing was in line or not.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many small bourse dealers would rather die with their coins than sell them at a loss. This is nothing new. The best way to deal with kind of dealer is to ignore them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, being able to walk away from absurdity is an important life skill. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

yep , ive walked out on many coin shows having bought nothing or just a few coins because of prices

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Sent you an email.

• jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Don
    I have 150 of them you can have for 1250.00 thats about 95% of melt.. most of them still in the cellophane and mostly 1963-1966.... let me know before I ship them
    Ken

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

are you guys talking US dollars or Canadian Bucks?
    it would sure make a huge difference.
    BTW, Roman is, as far as I am aware of, a very reputable fellow.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Sorry I thought I sent a private message and not a public broadcast lol this is a discussion forum not a BST and I would sell them at 96% of Canadian spot in CAD or 96% of US spot in US dollars but I don't ship to Canada :)

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ajaan

Don, those are pretty tough to price without seeing in-person. Do you happen to remember the dealer?

@YQQ

Thanks!

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't. He was at the Buffalo coin show yesterday.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don