Home Sports Talk

2018 New England Patriots CHAMPIONS

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very eloquent response lol

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Philly fans are nothing but eloquent...always have been, always will be. ;)

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

So says every visiting fan attending a sporting event in Philadelphia :p

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

So says every visiting fan attending a sporting event in Philadelphia :p

That's exactly right. Whenever we beat the crap out of them for wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey, we are always most kind and courteous while helping them into the ambulance. Sometimes we even send flowers and a "get well soon" card. LOL

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF is Brady doing in the game in the 4th quarter? Its just great to see him get crushed into the ground by a defender with a 38 point lead. If he gets a season ending injury it could be a career ender and it would mean the team misses the playoffs too. STUPID!!

Thats some brilliant coaching right there , 41 year old GOAT throwing bombs downfield in a walk over in the 4th quarter. If I'm Miami I stomp his head into the ground for running up the score for no reason. Why is he passing ? Have the new rookie you drafted in the 1st round run on every play , eat up the clock and go home. Especially since its a short week coming up

@bronco2078 said:
    WTF is Brady doing in the game in the 4th quarter? Its just great to see him get crushed into the ground by a defender with a 38 point lead. If he gets a season ending injury it could be a career ender and it would mean the team misses the playoffs too. STUPID!!

Thats some brilliant coaching right there , 41 year old GOAT throwing bombs downfield in a walk over in the 4th quarter. If I'm Miami I stomp his head into the ground for running up the score for no reason. Why is he passing ? Have the new rookie you drafted in the 1st round run on every play , eat up the clock and go home. Especially since its a short week coming up

Gotta agree with ya 100% on this.

I'm not sure what the GOAT Bill Belichick was thinking?

I’m just curious that you guys are shocked by this lol. That is routine Patriots football Big Bill has been doing this for YEARS, how many times has Brady been taken out during rampage style wins? Almost never! Remember during a blow out win when he had Gronk in on special teams for an extra point and he broke his forearm before the playoffs? For all the good that Belichek has done he has done just as much to hurt the team in some fashion

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously, Belichick has not done just as much to hurt the team as help. He has coached them to 8 Super Bowls, 14 division crowns, 7 consecutive AFC championship appearances, 17 consecutive winning seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Has he made some questionable decisions? Sure but that is part of coaching. He has not deviated from his core philosophy and it has been pretty darn successful. Part of the that philosophy is never pumping the breaks. If this is how Pats fans treat the greatest coach in the history of football I hate to see what they do to his successors.

Robb

edited October 2, 2018 9:07AM

Robb, when your up enough to make it a sure win meaning that it’s literally impossible to lose and you keep your starters in you are doing a disservice to your team, when your in the Super Bowl and you bench your #1 CB and watch as his fill in gets torched over and over again your doing a disservice to your team. Those are 2 glaring examples that I challenge anyone to dispute

@fergie23 said:
    Seriously, Belichick has not done just as much to hurt the team as help. He has coached them to 8 Super Bowls, 14 division crowns, 7 consecutive AFC championship appearances, 17 consecutive winning seasons, etc, etc, etc.

Has he made some questionable decisions? Sure but that is part of coaching. He has not deviated from his core philosophy and it has been pretty darn successful. Part of the that philosophy is never pumping the breaks. If this is how Pats fans treat the greatest coach in the history of football I hate to see what they do to his successors.

Robb

I basically agree with your points. However, Belichick needs to realize he's got a 41 year old quarterback now and he should have sat Brady down in the previous game as Bronco stated.

Belichick is the GOAT whether or not he ever wins another game. But it's possible he may be slipping as Tom Landry did in his last few seasons in Dallas after a long and distinguished coaching career there.

@1970s said:
    Nothing like being 3-0 and then going into Foxboro and getting your a$$ handed to you.

<<< I've seen this before, whereby a good football team, has their backs against the wall like the Patriots do today, and come away with a sparkling win. >>>

I stated the above, before that game in an earlier post. The score of that game shouldn't have come as a big surprise. That game was just a "perfect storm" type of game for the Dolphins for a variety of reasons.

Suffice to say, that game is not yet concrete evidence that the Patriots have turned their season around. The Patriots may have done that, but that game is really only an indicator of that possibility.

I think the Patriots, despite the whining of some of their fans, are still a good football team. The question is whether or not they are good enough, and motivated enough, and Belichick is still clever enough, to get them into the playoffs and beyond. We shall see.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady has long insisted upon staying in the game, no matter what the score. It drives me crazy. There is nothing wrong with the giving the back-up a few reps now and then, especially when the outcome of the game is not in doubt.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the over/under for the game was. Maybe that had something to do with the score run up.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder what the over/under for the game was. Maybe that had something to do with the score run up.

Pete Rose and Michael Jordan are not coaching the pats.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got cleared to still go up to beantown despite a spiral leg fracture this weekend. Looking forward to the game tomorrow night and hopefully I can get our tix switched for some ADA ones so I don't have to hobble crutches up/down the stadium once we get there.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Belichick believes football players play football and has some pathological dislike of sitting players even in blowouts. That has always been his MO and it seems to have worked pretty well for him. Doesn't mean I don't also wonder what the heck he is doing leaving his stars in for meaningless snaps but I don't think great coaches make decisions based on potential worst case scenarios. But to claim that playing those players late in the 4th quarter is doing your team a disservice is just not true. Just because fans are worried about players getting injured doesn't mean that players and coaches are or should be.

As for Gronk's injury, the issue wasn't that Gronk was on the extra point team in a blowout, it was that the 2nd most important offensive player on your team was freaking blocking on extra points. It never made sense that someone less important to the offense couldn't have replaced Gronk on extra points long before that game. I am not sure any coach in the league sits players on extra points during blowouts, you certainly never see a back up kicker come in to kick them in order to rest the primary kicker.

With Butler I don't think we will find out for a long, long time what happened. It seems like Butler was a limited participant in the biggest practice prior to the Super Bowl and then had some sort of blowup with the coaches. That got him benched permanently on defense. Belichick has pretty much always been willing to make personnel changes during games if his team is ineffective. The fact he didn't put Butler in, even after halftime when it was clear his DBs were over matched and playing poorly, means that Butler had to have done something.

Those examples don't even come close to offsetting all the good Belichick has done. Belichick consistently fields a team that can win in all three phases of the game. People focus on Brady, for good reason, but the reality is that those game winning drives required a defensive stop at some point to get him the ball, or keep the game close, or preserve the victory. I would love to see a stat showing how many potential game winning 4th quarter drives different QBs have made that were snatched from them by a subsequent game drive after their score. Like a snake bit tracker for QBs.

Anyway, I think erikthredd said at the beginning of this thread that the first 3 weeks were the toughest part of the Pats schedule. Let's hope he was right. Will be interesting to see how the Pats do on a short week. Edelman hasn't played much meaningful football in the last 2 years hopefully he hasn't lost a step.

Robb

There is also a tiebreaker to consider. If the Patriots and the Dolphins split the two regular games, the total points scored in the two games comes into play.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

sucks to be the colts here. Thursday night games suck for everyone but its worse for the road team . And they are kind of busted up .

Everytime I see the colts I get angry at how Andrew Luck has been wasted on such a lousy franchise.

They seemed to have it together for peyton manning , what happened to them after that? Is it different ownership?

@bronco2078 said:
    sucks to be the colts here. Thursday night games suck for everyone but its worse for the road team . And they are kind of busted up .

Everytime I see the colts I get angry at how Andrew Luck has been wasted on such a lousy franchise.

They seemed to have it together for peyton manning , what happened to them after that? Is it different ownership?

Its because Jim Irsay spends all the Colts money on crack.

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

I heard he had a drug problem. Did that start after Manning or was he not the guy back then?

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

I heard he had a drug problem. Did that start after Manning or was he not the guy back then?

I'm pretty sure the team has been in his family for a very long time.

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Is he like the worthless offspring of the people that built the franchise then? They put it all together and handed it to him on a silver platter and he is running it into the ground?

Pretty much.

These guys need to hold onto the damn ball already

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2018 7:47PM

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yes, Jim's father is the guy who rented a fleet of Mayflower moving trucks to move the team to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

that was an ok throw shoulda been caught . I mean it was in Chester Roger's neighborhood

Ebron is developing into quite a good TE.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

How many deflected picks can happen in one game, on both sides.

@erikthredd said:
    Great catch by Gordon.

This may prove to be a tremendous acquisition by the Pats.

@grote15 said:
    How many deflected picks can happen in one game, on both sides.

Just that last Colts drive should have had three picks, one deflect and two drops all in their last 6-7 plays.

edited October 4, 2018 8:17PM

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Great catch by Gordon.

I agree. Those first couple weeks i was pretty sceptical but it does look like he's buying in. I wonder if he's off weed entirely now.

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Great catch by Gordon.

I agree. Those first couple weeks i was pretty sceptical but it does look like he's buying in. I wonder if he's off weed entirely now.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Watching the Pats having problems stopping Ebron tonight doesn't bode well for when KC comes here in 10 days. That game may have both teams in the 50's that day

Brady gets it done. Gordon catching his first TD is hopefully the start of something good. It was nice to have Edelman back like he didn’t miss a beat. Back to back W’s, the offense is clicking

Next game Brady will pass Brett Favre for #2 on the all time passing yardage list! He needs like 60 yards, hard to believe how many yards he has especially since early on in his career he won but wasn’t a big stat guy. I think Brady has a good shot at having the most yards passing ever, although Brees is younger and trails him by less than 2000 yards though.

edited October 5, 2018 7:18AM

Chewed on some percocets, hopped on the wicked slow patriots train down from Boston and gimp-limped my cane and my fractured leg into the game with the wifey.

Evening outside game weather was absolutely perfect, going from the 90+ Atlanta heat to this was incredible.

Game was good, and we sat next to some crazy old superfan lady that chewed my wife’s ear off the whole time. We hadn’t even sat in our seats and I knew what we were in for, she took the brunt of it while I talked to some nice quiet couple from Canada, ha!

Colts tried to give it away, then tried to make a game of it, was very enjoyable, and my Dawg Michel had a pretty solid game, wound up having to talk UGA football with the super fan for a bit, ha! She’s in the hat on the right.

edited October 5, 2018 7:21AM

And the dogwood cane I made my grandpa 33 years ago was trying to put a Falcons payback hex on the Pats. He would have got a kick out of that. :)

Glad you had a fun time Buster, I’m also glad the Pats won. I do wish you a speedy recovery bud

@DrBuster said:
    And the dogwood cane I made my grandpa 33 years ago was trying to put a Falcons payback hex on the Pats. He would have got a kick out of that. :)

Ahh,now we know why both Hogan & Gronk coughed up two Brady interceptions ;)

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yes, Jim's father is the guy who rented a fleet of Mayflower moving trucks to move the team to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, lol..

Word had it that Jim’s father, who moved the team from Baltimore, was an alcoholic. Perhaps it runs in the family.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is always interesting every year watching the different versions of the Pats develop. I have a good feeling about this one. The defense is being questioned but seems to have the potential. And the offense might be special. I am looking forward to the outcome

I’m not as usually cautiously optimistic about this team at all, the Defense especially the lack of great CB’s will be a problem

edited October 7, 2018 1:05PM

Watching the Chiefs/Jags game from the perspective of a Pats fan, I was happy to see the Chiefs dominate.

I want them overconfident next week. Can't wait for that game.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Watching the Chiefs/Jags game from the perspective of a Pats fan, I was happy to see the Chiefs dominate.

KC looks for real!

Yes, they sure do.

@DIMEMAN said:

@thisistheshow said:

KC looks for real!

Yes, but remember last year. They looked like world beaters for the first month and then fell into a total funk. They limped into the post season and made a quick exit.