Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 New England Patriots CHAMPIONS

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭

I remember many years before Billichick when we would have given our first born to have a coach like him. We should praising him for what he did for the Patriots.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I remember many years before Billichick when we would have given our first born to have a coach like him. We should praising him for what he did for the Patriots.

We all agree that the Belichick/Brady pairing is the greatest in the modern era NFL, that's not even debatable. The question is which of the two was more important to the team's success?

I say Belichick, others say Brady, and that's fine.

I just mentioned this topic again when Paul stated "I hope Belichek doesn’t destroy this"

I mean I'm not sure how ya mention the word "destroy" when discussing anything Belichick has done with the Patriots. Mistakes, sure, but destroy?

For example Chip Kelly destroyed the Eagles, that is a fact...but Bill Belichick in my opinion has done nothing to equate the word "destroy" to anything that he's done. And I realize that Paul was just referring to this one deal.

As you can tell, i'm a fan of Bill Belichick but also a fan of Tom Brady. I mean how can anyone be a fan of the NFL and not be a fan of those two guys, even when they play against your team, win or lose. They have been great for the game, and that's also not debatable.

Oh well, I apologize, i've beaten this topic to death. Carry on. B)

• Options

I am definitely not a fan of the NFL anymore but I am a Patriots fan. I have followed them since before they came into existence as part of the NFL. Bilichick has been the best coach and Brady has been the best quarterback they have had in all those years by far.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

how many browns retreads is our quota?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    how many browns retreads is our quota?

About half the number of Rutgers retreads divided by Y2K then subtracted from the number of Pats RBs on IR.

nvm,just wait till they get to Detroit and let Matt Patricia figure it out seeing that he's a rocket scientist

• Options

Belichick is getting outcoached by his former pupil so far.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that age and time have caught with the Patriots. It's going to be fun year for Miami.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Only 3 minutes left in the half, and Brady with 6 passing yards?

• Options
    edited September 23, 2018 6:29PM

@stevek said:

Matt Patricia knows everything they do on offense & defense after being the defensive coordinator for the previous six years. Most drives have been 3 & outs.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

Matt Patricia knows everything they do on offense & defense after being the defensive coordinator for the previous six years. Most drives have been 3 & outs.

Well, Brady finished up with 55 passing yards at the half.

One would think that Belichick would have come up with some new plays to counter Patricia's knowledge about the team?

Perhaps Belichick is saving the good stuff for the second half? Then again, maybe he's now too old and tired and complacent to do that? We shall see.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detroit just won't go away.

• Options

Detroit didn't play so well in the first two games. Like I said, it's going to be a fun year for Miami. The true test will be next week when Miami comes to New England.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

The true test will be when they get Edelman back and Gordon on the field.

• Options

I honestly thought that the Jags & Lions would be their two toughest games coming into the season and both ended up losses. Next up Miami then the Colts 4 days later on TNF.

• Options

It's been a fun run, and I will enjoy hanging my Hallmark Brady and Gronkowski figures on my my Christmas tree for old times sake, but the torch has been passed to a new generation. Perhaps Los Angleles and Kansas City will be the new class of the NFL this year.

• Options

I tried to warn ya's previously about the historical problem in the next season for the Super Bowl loser. They generally under-perform in the next season for a multitude of reasons.

Whether or not that continues to be a factor for the Patriots this season, and some will say it isn't any factor at all...well it remains to be seen.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Record after losing a Super Bowl for Pats in Brady/Belichich era:
    2008: 11-5 Brady injured in first game
    2012: 12-4 lost in conference finals

I'm not sure the Super Bowl loser issue impacts the Patriots regardless of what happens this year.

Robb

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB has never been notorious for having a cheerful demeanor, but the look on his face after that game last night was something i had never seen before

• Options

Belichick shouldn't be PO'd about anything when he assembled this team that has huge holes on both sides of the ball. He's signed,re-signed & traded for about 6-7 wide receivers since the season started and not a single one of them has taken a snap in a game yet. When your WRs only average 8 receptions a game its a pretty big problem. NE is basically playing with two WRs right now,Hogan & Dorsett. Cordarelle Patterson at wideout has been a failed experiment to this point and the team just took on another experiment in Josh Gordon,who I don't have much faith in. Edelman returning for the TNF Colts game in 10 days will be a big boost though. I'm even at the point where I want BB to give Dez a call too. Maybe between him & Gordon they might be able to replace what Cooks gave you last season.
    Then on the other side of the ball their defense is just too slow right now and having three starters out with concussions didn't help. Then add Matt Patricia knowing all of their weaknesses and how to take advantage of them and it was a rout. The defense looked this bad a year ago at this time and they eventually improved as the season went on so there is some hope for the defense but the WR position has no quick fix.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    BB has never been notorious for having a cheerful demeanor, but the look on his face after that game last night was something i had never seen before

Good, he has nobody to blame but himself

• Options

Cheaping out on Brady at the end of his career . If he can't find anyone open and has to hold onto the ball longer he is going to get killed

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The true test will be when they get Edelman back and Gordon on the field.

And Flowers and Chung come back, and hopefully Devin's brother finishes learning the playbook. I am certainly concerned, but not pressing the panic button. I had a bad feeling about this game because of the Defensive injuries and I knew the Lions would play better - hell they have Matt Stafford and have WRs that Brady would LOVE to have!

• Options

@1970s said:
    The amazing run may be over. Would hate to see Brady suffer through some rough three seasons the next three years. That would bring out all the haters saying he wasn't so great.

Bill is returning to his roots , deep down he is a brown I'm afraid

• Options

After a tough stretch of games I always look back at that KC game a few years ago when they got destroyed and everyone was freaking out and they ended up going on a rampage after that beat down. The next few games will tell, Miami needs to be brought down a few rungs for starters

• Options

@1970s said:
    The amazing run may be over. Would hate to see Brady suffer through some rough three seasons the next three years. That would bring out all the haters saying he wasn't so great.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before declaring their run may be over after a couple of september losses. Brady & BB will right the ship soon enough,just look at last season when the defense after 4 games gave up the most points in nfl history (32+ppg). then in the remaining 12 games the defense gave up just 12ppg which was the lowest of all 32 teams.
    Getting Edelman & PuffDaddy out on the field should help the offense put up more points.

• Options

I'm sure the Pat's will be fine and win their division. Miami is NOT that good.

• Options

the game of the year takes place on 10/21

:p

• Options
    edited September 24, 2018 5:45PM

@galaxy27 said:

that is four days before my birthday so lets just chaulk that up as a Pats W now B)
    final score will be 46-10

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

that is four days before my birthday so lets just chaulk that up as a Pats W now B)
    final score will be 46-10

46-10.....that sounds familiar?? Where have I seen that score before??

• Options

Now I remember Super Bowl XX Bears 46........Pats 10. ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2018 9:15PM

If we learned anything after that MNF loss to KC and the infamous On to Cincinnati mantra, it's that you should never write off the Patriots.

The look on Belichick's face and his audible sigh after a reporter asked him last night if he was worried about their place in the standings reminded me of his response back after that KC loss when he was asked if he would consider benching Brady.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Tim I remember the reporter asking Big Bill if there was a QB controversy and it was one of the very few times Brlichek actually snickered and shook his head lol, it was totally diffferent than his robotic answers

• Options
    edited September 25, 2018 7:39PM

With all the moves, I think that Belichick has finally finessed himself. You can only let so many consistent performers go before you end up with a hodgepodge team that you can't sculpt into a winner. I know that they have had some bad early season games in the past and reversed the trend, but this time I think the damage is too great. After losing the Jacksonville game, the old Patriots would have hung some lion skins outside of Gillette Stadium. The Lions are not that good.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    With all the moves, I think that Belichick has finally finessed himself. You can only let so many consistent performers go before you end up with a hodgepodge team that you can't sculpt into a winner. I know that they have had some bad early season games in the past and reversed the trend, but this time I think the damage is too great. After losing the Jacksonville game, the old Patriots would have hung some lion skins outside of Gillette Stadium. The Lions are not that good.

I agree somewhat, would won't count the Pat's out until they are mathmatically eliminated.

• Options

the Pats will start to heat up. they always do. Edelman will be back soon, and Puff Daddy will be incorporated into the offense to (at the very least) stretch the opposing D.

i foresee them firing on all cylinders, oh, come week 7 or so lol

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    the Pats will start to heat up. they always do. Edelman will be back soon, and Puff Daddy will be incorporated into the offense to (at the very least) stretch the opposing D.

Will they really need all cylinders to beat the Bears? ;)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

Will they really need all cylinders to beat the Bears? ;)B)

quiet in the peanut gallery

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 2:19AM

It’s already started, mock online drafts are talking about the Pats needing to find Brady’s replacement blah blah blah, what people fail to realize is that they are 1-2 and it has nothing to do with Brady lol it’s the pathetic surrounding cast he has

• Options

I am content to read about them in the papers as I no longer watch the NFL. Saves me a lot of money and I don't get disappointed when they lose. I doubt if I will even go back to watching them iff they stop taking a knee now.

• Options

I’ve said it before and I will say it again I refuse to let ignorant stupidity ruin what I enjoy.

• Options

Bill is tearing the team apart with his stupid ego. Imagine if he had traded Gronk in the spring? We would be 0-3 going on 0-4

• Options

I would really like to see the Patriots rebound and do well this season and get back into the Super Bowl. That would be great for Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, all the Patriots players, and all the Patriots fans.

And my good wishes has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it would be so much fun to kick the Patriots arze again in the Super Bowl, but this time with Carson Wentz doing it. :)

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 7:57AM

@bronco2078 said:
    Bill is tearing the team apart with his stupid ego. Imagine if he had traded Gronk in the spring? We would be 0-3 going on 0-4

Bill being Bill, he has cost this team more than a crappy start to this season.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 8:49AM

I'd say this was their toughest stretch of defenses played for this season and outside of Minnesota & possibly Chicago their remainder of the schedule has plenty of bad defense still to play. It also didn't help that NE didn't have their #1RB Burkhead & #2 TE Hollister both out with injuries and rookie RB Sony Michel who spent close to all of training camp rehabbing where these past 2 games have been his preseason.
    Aside from the injuries leaving their offense depleted I think their play calling on offense these past two games haven't been that great. I get trying to force feed Michel with carries to get him caught up but they had too many 3&outs where it was three Michel runs then punt. Gronk gets double teamed and where are the plays freeing up one of the other WRs. Patterson is supposed to be this super swiss army knife and they haven't done anything to get him going. Watching him catch a wide open ball then fall on his ass 3yds short of a first down vs the Jags hasn't helped either.
    They have Miami sunday then the Colts on TNF hopefully some of their injured players can heal up over the next 10 days before the Chiefs game on SNF,they'll need all hands on deck to keep up with that offense.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I'd say this was their toughest stretch of defenses played for this season and outside of Minnesota & possibly Chicago their remainder of the schedule has plenty of bad defense still to play. It also didn't help that NE didn't have their #1RB Burkhead & #2 TE Hollister both out with injuries and rookie RB Sony Michel who spent close to all of training camp rehabbing where these past 2 games have been his preseason.
    Aside from the injuries leaving their offense depleted I think their play calling on offense these past two games haven't been that great. I get trying to force feed Michel with carries to get him caught up but they had too many 3&outs where it was three Michel runs then punt. Gronk gets double teamed and where are the plays freeing up one of the other WRs. Patterson is supposed to be this super swiss army knife and they haven't done anything to get him going. Watching him catch a wide open ball then fall on his ass 3yds short of a first down vs the Jags hasn't helped either.
    They have Miami sunday then the Colts on TNF hopefully some of their injured players can heal up over the next 10 days before the Chiefs game on SNF,they'll need all hands on deck to keep up with that offense.

WTF did they draft a running back for though? There were 9 of them, who is the problem when it comes to wide receivers on this team? Why can't we keep any or develop any that are not slot guys?

Why did Cooks have to go?

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 9:50AM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

WTF did they draft a running back for though? There were 9 of them, who is the problem when it comes to wide receivers on this team? Why can't we keep any or develop any that are not slot guys?

Why did Cooks have to go?

At the time they drafted Michel they only had White,Burkhead & Hill at RB and about 8-10 WRs,its just BB decided to cut most of them throughout training camp. I don't have a problem with them drafting Michel. They needed a guy to take some of the pressure off Brady and since Blount left they haven't had that guy. Burkhead plays 3 games then misses 3 games it seems. White is great in the passing game but not so much in the running game and Hill was an unknown at that point. Michel has had some decent runs but the OL's blocking hasn't been all that great the past 2 weeks.

I'd say the reason why they can't develop any outside threats is part because Brady,part because they guys the guys they drafted recently were always hurt. Brady throws to guys he trust and until recently has never really been an issue. They've used fairly high picks trying to find that guy in recent years, Aaron Dobson 2nd & Josh Boyce 4th in 2013 then Malcolm Mitchell 4th in 2016. then there were a bunch of late round picks that never panned out.
    I'm pretty sure they still have Corey Coleman & Riley McCarron on the practice squad. Coleman needs to learn the system and McCarron dropped a punt then got sent back to the PS.

Cooks got dealt because they weren't going to pay him after his 7M 5th year option so BB got a 1st for him. I get the reasoning behind that move but letting Amendola go made no sense. He was worth whatever Miami gave him just for his production in the playoffs. Amendola could also play inside or out so with Edelman out they could have had him in the slot instead they're using Hogan there at times when he's a better outside guy.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 10:12AM

Pats just put Rex Burkhead & Ja'whaun Bentley on Injured Reserve then signed free agent DE John Simon.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24803176/new-england-patriots-place-rb-rex-burkhead-lb-jawhaun-bentley-ir

It was just a matter of time for Burkhead to end up on IR between his knee & neck injuries.

edit: so if we're keeping count of who they have available it's two active running backs and two active wide receivers plus whatever you want to call Patterson.

Should I reschedule that WR/RB tryout and see if they need me at LB too? I can fall on my ass just as good as Patterson does ;)

• Options

NE re-signed RB/PR Kenjon Barner and worked out former Jets/49ers WR Jeremy Kerley.