Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2018 10:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

See this post about the price...
8/29/2018: Pricing established

Well, the Mint has populated the long awaited Palladium Proof page.

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin

Mintage Limit: 15,000
Product Limit: 15,000
Household Order Limit: 1

Price:
If palladium average is $850.00 to $899.99, the price will be $1,287.50.
If palladium average is $900.00 to $949.99, the price will be $1,337.50.
If palladium average is $950.00 to $999.99, the price will be $1,387.50.

The initial price was set at $1387.50.

The coin will be struck at West Point.
The coin will be available September 6, 2018, at 12 noon (ET).

And they have some unrepresentative images (for a proof) again.

I am still undecided, since Palladium doesn't fit into my collection. The reverse looks okay, though...

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

Probably $1250. I like the coin but PMs are taking a beating right now. Probably won't buy.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for sure. Maybe multiple accounts. I hope palladium keeps tanking so it drops the price a bit. I guarantee everyone that has the MS version will want this one too, so I expect them to be HOT.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone in 600 Seconds

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium took a jump of $62 over Thursday & Friday.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2018 10:53AM

OMG only 1? What about the big boys they want to buy mucho!

I wonder if these will be cheaper on Ebay in 1 year after sale date? 15,000 alot less that 200,000.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the dilemma: September 6th is my birthday.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

I wonder if these will be cheaper on Ebay in 1 year after sale date? 15,000 alot less that 200,000.

Respectfully, you are comparing apples to bunny rabbits. It's not the mintage, it's the number of collectors. Look at platinum proof fractionals, many of which have mintages of 10,000 or less and which essentially sell as bullion. 15,000 palladium coins with 5,000 hard core collectors is far worse than 200,000 proof sets with 200,000 collectors.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

The big boys may not want to buy any if they can't make any money on them. If this thing is priced at $1300, what's the upside? They made out last time because they had sole distribution of the UNC coins. If they have to buy from the Mint (at a 3-5% discount) and then try to resell them, there has to be a reasonable profit.

If this sells out on the 1st day before the HHL is lifted, the big boys will just shrug and move on.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

The big boys may not want to buy any if they can't make any money on them. If this thing is priced at $1300, what's the upside? They made out last time because they had sole distribution of the UNC coins. If they have to buy from the Mint (at a 3-5% discount) and then try to resell them, there has to be a reasonable profit.

If this sells out on the 1st day before the HHL is lifted, the big boys will just shrug and move on.

If this sells out quick, the big boys will be paying US a premium for them. It happens all the time with hot items. I actually expect some of the big boys to be offering guaranteed profit before the even go on sale if you will promise to sell to them. The uncs were selling for over $2,000 not long after they first sold.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2018 4:44PM

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

ble profit.

If this sells out quick, the big boys will be paying US a premium for them. It happens all the time with hot items. I actually expect some of the big boys to be offering guaranteed profit before the even go on sale if you will promise to sell to them. The uncs were selling for over $2,000 not long after they first sold.

Sometimes. But I kind of doubt it here. With HHL of only 1, they probably won't pre-sell. With HHL of only 1, there may be enough for everyone who wants one. The price spikes tend to be associated with clustering of distribution or an actual shortage. I don't know that either one is in play here.

My main point is that the Big Boys don't need to distribute everything. And they won't bother if there is no profit in it.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in let me know if any one want to sell there's to me. I'll take up to 10 at $150 over mint price let me know.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018 11:17AM

@Type2 said:
    I'm in let me know if any one want to sell there's to me. I'll take up to 10 at $150 over mint price let me know.

What? Did you forget to take your meds? B)

The Mint Director monitors this site and their selling price just went up $150. >:)

• Options

@Type2 said:

Good to hear from you! Some people were worried, lol. What do you think the dealers will be paying?? I plan to buy as many as I can.

• Options

@Type2 said:

ummm....shouldn't you wait to find out what the Mint selling price is first?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Why? It's usually fairly predictable. He's assuming they will sell out fairly quickly and start selling for a large premium like the last ones did.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Why? It's usually fairly predictable. He's assuming they will sell out fairly quickly and start selling for a large premium like the last ones did.

You can't go by the last one. The last one was not distributed directly. 2nd of all, as a proof these suckers are already going to have a premium well in excess of the Uncs. If these are released at $300 over spot ($1100 ish), you're going to have to be buying at $1250 ($450 over spot) for a niche item. It's pretty speculative.

I have two accounts. If anyone will guarantee me $150 over issue right now, I'll buy them for you.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 2:25PM

@Type2 said:

@Type2

I have 10 cousins in the Appalachians that will be setting up individual Mint accounts soon and will be eagerly awaiting Sept 6th and will be contacting you shortly for their $1,500 windfall for a few minutes of work. Mash, security, and gallon jugs are really pricy. LOL

• Options

@Type2 said:

I can get 2. I wasn't going to get any, but if you are committing to buy at $150 over, I will and they are all yours.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

Type 2 is a smart guy. The bullion versions in MS70 were well over 1800 by the time they were release
    Even at 150 over mint price per coin, a PR70 will probably run you 2100-2200
    A nice little profit

• Options

@7over8 said:
    Type 2 is a smart guy. The bullion versions in MS70 were well over 1800 by the time they were release
    Even at 150 over mint price per coin, a PR70 will probably run you 2100-2200
    A nice little profit

I am not actually disagreeing with Type2 and no doubt he knows what he is talking about.

The sad thing is I agree with him and was being sarcastic, but it is really crazy when automatic profits develop before things are even for sale.

Remember someone paid $10,000 for one of those first gold Kennedy halves at a show a few years ago. I will get a PCGS PR70 of this coin regardless of the craziness.

• Options

Well I will take any if some of you want to sell your sealed box with the coin for $150 over mint price I will take it. Just PM me so I can put you on the list, Thank you Type2.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:
    Probably $1250. I like the coin but PMs are taking a beating right now. Probably won't buy.

Does that mean you won't buy a proof Silver Eagle?

thefinn
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL. I am a big girl and I don't even have the 1st one as yet......but I really love the big Merc :)

@MilesWaits said:
    I am the Big Boy! And the big boy will have at least one.
    Maybe multiples if the big boy has an alias.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

You can't go by the last one. The last one was not distributed directly. 2nd of all, as a proof these suckers are already going to have a premium well in excess of the Uncs. If these are released at $300 over spot ($1100 ish), you're going to have to be buying at $1250 ($450 over spot) for a niche item. It's pretty speculative.

I have two accounts. If anyone will guarantee me $150 over issue right now, I'll buy them for you.

Palladium Spot = $923.
    If they use the same premium as the Platinum proof, they'd price this at $1,320.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Type2 said:

Palladium Spot = $923.
    If they use the same premium as the Platinum proof, they'd price this at $1,320.

So can I put you down for two? PM me put you on the list.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Placeholder to come back to when released

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna have to buy a 70 PCGS Black label to go with my unc version, here I go again :)

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    LOL. I am a big girl and I don't even have the 1st one as yet......but I really love the big Merc :)

I thought that said Big Mac...... :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

That's actually VERY SMART. Notice, he's only selling one at $400-$500 over the issue price. If he can't pre-sell it, he simply doesn't buy one. No risk at all.

He only made one mistake: he should have had the pre-sale end before September 6th. He could always relist it at that point. But people tend to look at items at closing so this listing may be off people's radar from now until the 6th which makes it harder to get his flip pre-flipped.

• Options

Maybe I should sell mine now but ask $1900 but then they take 10% right off the top. But what happens when I get sellers remorse? I guess I could just buy a graded one at $ 1400! :D

• Options

I was on the fence on this coin, but am tending to think I will buy one at least.

• Options

@thefinn said:

@pf70collector said:

I stopped buying silver eagles. At least the graded 70s because of the spotting issue. Did buy 5 of the S ones in the 2017 congratulations sets. Still in unopened boxes.

Took a licking when I sold a platinum proof today. I bought it from the mint in 2013 for $1800. I lost $700.

I am wary about this this palladium proof which might be flippable.

I will probably buy one and if the market is hot will sell it. But with only 1 per household, these might get distributed to everyone that wants one, unlike the bullion version where the market was controlled since the public never had direct access to them.

I will probably buy one palladium, If the market is not hot for them I will just keep it. Do like the design.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:

@thefinn said:

@pf70collector said:

I stopped buying silver eagles. At least the graded 70s because of the spotting issue. Did buy 5 of the S ones in the 2017 congratulations sets. Still in unopened boxes.

Took a licking when I sold a platinum proof today. I bought it from the mint in 2013 for $1800. I lost $700.

I am wary about this this palladium proof which might be flippable.

I will probably buy one and if the market is hot will sell it. But with only 1 per household, these might get distributed to everyone that wants one, unlike the bullion version where the market was controlled since the public never had direct access to them.

I will probably buy one palladium, If the market is not hot for them I will just keep it. Do like the design.

I only mentioned this because related to the intrinsic value, proof ASEs have the highest markup - about 4x spot.

thefinn
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Well if no one else is going to say it I will. Happy Birthday!!! Yeah I know it's early, but so what?!~

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Well if no one else is going to say it I will. Happy Birthday!!! Yeah I know it's early, but so what?!~

Thanks! Type2 is giving me a $300 present. :wink:

• Options
    pbjpbj Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

So what is it about a specific coin that makes us want it so badly? If there is really no way to evaluate it's "investment" value, plus it's a relatively expensive coin minted from a new material... Why do we just have to have one? I'll need to have some kind of answer to this question before I'll actually buy one of these new palladium coins.
    For me personally, I already have a reminder set, and I really want one... the key word being want!... but when I think of what else I could use the cash for, I really have to justify the purchase or it is just a manifestation of my "coin sickness". There are so many wantable coins out there (that have nothing to do with my main collecting goals). I just bought a 2018 Mongolian "fox coin".

**IT'S COLORIZED!! ** Aren't I supposed to stay away from those?? And yet I find it so beautiful and I've wanted it for weeks. I justified it as a birthday present.
    So what do you think? (You know that palladium proof coin has a beautiful reverse, and it's unique, and..........)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium UP $24 today to Bid $936 / Ask $946.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2018 2:50PM

I see no bites

• Options

The whole problem with offering in excess of issue price in advance —if eBay selling prices are huge, the person you think you had a deal with runs away

• Options
    edited August 26, 2018 5:46PM

@7over8 said:
    The whole problem with offering in excess of issue price in advance —if eBay selling prices are huge, the person you think you had a deal with runs away

No he has to pay up front on Pay Pal then he waits. He cant run he can only ask for his money back. Most people on Ebay have no idea what the US Mint is or that they sell coins. They just buy online.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone can tell me when 75% of cars sold will be electric, I'll tell you when Palladium spot will be $300. Do we think the collector value will keep these propped up , or do we just care long enough to flip them?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@Gluggo said:

@7over8 said:

No he has to pay up front on Pay Pal then he waits. He cant run he can only ask for his money back. Most people on Ebay have no idea what the US Mint is or that they sell coins. They just buy online.

I think he's referring to the person on this thread offering to buy, not eBay.

• Options
    edited August 27, 2018 6:42AM

I am talking about the buyer but in general terms. No body on this board, in fact I hardly read what people say here. I was only refering in general terms and from my own experience.

• Options

As I stated, most will be unheard from if the raw coins start selling for 500+ more than mint issue
    I agree, one should be honorable and uphold the deal, but sorry guys the general public cares less—a buck is a buck to them

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file