Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Liberty (19DA, 19DB) On sale Now...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 1, 2019 12:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Pictures and details posted Aug 6...

The web pages for the 2019 American Liberty Coin/Medal has been populated. Both will be available on August 15@Noon.

American Liberty 2019 High Relief Gold Coin (19DA)

Mintage Limit: 50,000
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: 1
Finish: Enhanced Uncirculated
Composition: 99.99% Gold

If spot is $1400-$1449 at close on Aug 14, the price will be $1,840.00
If spot is $1450-$1499, the price will be $1,890.00
If spot is $1500-$1549, the price will be $1,940.00

Edit: Aug 15: Opening price has been set at $1940.00.

The Silver medal will be a 2.5ozt medal, the first of it's type. It will be 2" in diameter, which means it could actually be high-relief.
American Liberty 2019 High Relief Silver Medal (19DB)

Mintage Limit: 50,000
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None
Finish: Matte
Composition: 99.9% Silver

The price has been fixed at $99.95.

---------Original Post-----------
Coinworld is reporting the Mint will produce "Virtues of Liberty" in 2019, which will probably be the third issue in the American Liberty series. No details yet, they will have a more detailed report next week.

The Mint had a media event on August 14 at the ANA, and Coin World was the only publication that bothered to attend? Yikes. So they got an exclusive interview. :smile:

Here's the link:
U.S. Mint to issue a 2019 Virtues of Liberty gold coin

Edit to add: The Gold coin and Silver medal will be available August 15.

Comments

• RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

So a new attempt at a high relief series? It seems they keep starting and stopping on this idea. Or are 15 and 17 the same series?

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RWM said:
    So a new attempt at a high relief series? It seems they keep starting and stopping on this idea. Or are 15 and 17 the same series?

Yep. American Liberty is supposed to be a biennial release, the gold coin every odd year. The silver medal is also supposed to be issued the same year, but that wasn't true for the first issue, and the 2017 design was used on a product this year. (The 1/10th ozt 24k coin.)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they choose a truly artistic design, and not some bland, commercialized piece of trash....If they are going to do special issues, at least make them truly appealing. Cheers, RickO

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first read that I thought it said "Viruses of Liberty". Maybe dcarr can make that happen. ;)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Well, this is different. Coin World is reporting the American Liberty medals will be 2.5 ozt silver.

coinworld:2019 American Liberty silver medals to be 2.5 ounces in .999 fine

Reading between the lines, if they keep it the same size as the current ASE blanks, they mint may actually (finally) do a high relief silver medal. I might actually buy one of those. Maybe.

The Mint currently doesn't do a 2.5 ozt anything, so this would be a new source of plachets. With that, and the premium put on AmLib products, my guess is these will be priced close to the 5ozt ATB pucks...

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the proposed and planned biennial coin?

@BackroadJunkie said
    Yep. American Liberty is supposed to be a biennial release, the gold coin every odd year. The silver medal is also supposed to be issued the same year, but that wasn't true for the first issue, and the 2017 design was used on a product this year. (The 1/10th ozt 24k coin.)

@Paradisefound said:
    Is this the proposed and planned biennial coin?

@BackroadJunkie said

Yes for the obverse. (At least the design was favored by both the CFA and the CCAC. The CCAC wants some modifications to the design. I think we'll see a finalized line art model soon.)

The reverse you posted was favored by the CFA, the CCAC likes this one:

Personally, I think the CFA reverse looks better. But put some arrows in the Eagle's claws... :wink:

@BackroadJunkie
    I love the close up eagle ....... we have not seen before <3

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping not. I do not care for the obverse at all. Reverses are better.

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 4:42AM

This doesn't even look like a US coin. It looks like something from the the pacific islands paying tribute to a US design. Like so many others produced in the past decade or two. The obverse looks really weird, too much noise in one part of the coin.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@batumi said:
    I am hoping not. I do not care for the obverse at all. Reverses are better.

Agree. It looks like the back of her head exploded. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse kinda looks like cleopatra 🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Looks like she smelled something funky. And that close-up eagle looks too much like an angry seagull, other than beak shape. I like the CFA reverse though.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

And how about using the exergue for something interesting, depth in the background, a killer patterned texture, clouds, waves, wheat, something! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    And how about using the exergue for something interesting, depth in the background, a killer patterned texture, clouds, waves, wheat, something! Peace Roy

Excellent post...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • OldMasterOldMaster Posts: 19 ✭✭

I like both designs very much. The obverse reflects a strong contemporary interpretation of the personification of Liberty while still retaining a touch of the classics. The composition is reminiscent of Saint-Gaudens' $10 Indian Head eagle and Liberty's waving hair is suggestive of Anthony de Francisci's Liberty featured on the Peace dollar. The eagle on the reverse is simply breathtaking...

What's not to like?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean she looks like cleopatra? A modern version 😜🙀jzyskowski

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they had simply left the hair alone, the obverse would have been good. Not a fan of the weird contemporary exploding head look.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

I assume this thread popped up because American Liberty hit the product schedule.

It will be available August 15. No other details available, yet.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's almost as bad as SBA

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur with the obverse "exploding head" -it's just terrible. Talk about a bad hair day and then to just put rays from her head right out to the edge.....and she doesn't look strong at all either, more of a worried, constipated, discouraged look about her. As for the reverse, I do prefer more of the full eagle, but I suspect we'll end up with the close up. Finally a two headed coin.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

To me, the obverse looks like a bad copy of the St Gaudens eagle which I would have preferred. I do like the full eagle reverse, though.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough with the eagles.. 🦅

If you’re going to tell the story of ethnic-Americans then tell it with both the obverse and reverse.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Actual images have been released by the mint:

The medal has the same design minus the devices that make it a coin...

It will retail about $1800-1900 when released. (Nope, not me.) The 2.5 ozt silver medal will probably be North of $100. I may be in for the new type, but...

Was Susan Sarandon the model?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the Eagle!

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 6:40PM

I prefer the cleaner look of the silver medal.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eyes of Lady Liberty are just weird. The rest is decent.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted this on another similar thread --

Obviously a product of the new "weed" generation here in the states. Bulging eyes and (poorly) attempted hair styling trend, shaved/slicked tight back of head and long flowing off neck (?). "Exploding" head as described previously is accurate, portraying some really mind-blowing cannabis. Am I seeing a furled brow "frownie" in the silver? Don't bogart her chips.

Reverse eagle is a LOT of feathers and where does the wing end and breast start??? Head is great tho ~~ an obvious "don't f with me" attitude.

I'll likely pick up a silver anyway, might be worth a giggle or two... ;)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

2015 cured me of this series. Unopened unappreciated.

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I wish they would do more classic designs in high relief like they did with 2018 proof palladium eagle, maybe a Barber design or something.

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original obverse Liberty had a large ear, now covered by hair. The back half of her head is still actually missing, and replaced with rays to the edge.

The original eagle design near the top of the post actually has wings and a tail and looks more realistic. This revision seems to have the back half of the eagle missing and replaced by large feathers everywhere to the rim.

I would like the gold version more if they added a zero, and made it $1,000. While I liked the original eagle design, the revision is weird and it would not fly.

I agree with Paradise, the close-up eagle would have been better for a change, and it is more proportional. I like they way it looks back at you.

The initials above the 1 oz. are distracting on the gold.

And now we have a coin with half a head, and half a tail. LOL

@BackroadJunkie said:
    The 2.5 ozt silver medal will probably be North of $100. I may be in for the new type, but...

I was close. The Mint just priced the silver medal at $99.95...

@COCollector said:
    I prefer the cleaner look of the silver medal.

I'm in... :#

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019 4:23PM

I keep waiting for the mint to list the price for this and give all the detail's, I can't imagine why they don't have the information on there site, I have also called the mint, no one there knows more than what is posted. Any help appreciated.

*At the time of this post the price and other details were not posted.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Texast
    "Pricing for precious metal numismatic products (e.g., palladium, platinum, 24-k gold, 22-k gold) varies by the average cost of the underlying metal. We use our pricing range table the week prior to sale in order to determine the product's price. If the average weekly price of the precious metal moves up or down into another cost range, the price of the product will also go up or down, respectively, by a fixed amount. You’ll find detailed pricing instructions here. If you need the Adobe reader, you can get it from Adobe."
    The above is from this mint page:
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/gold-coins/
    The price is posted on the coins page the day before they go on sale.

@Texast said:
    I keep waiting for the mint to list the price for this and give all the detail's, I can't imagine why they don't have the information on there site, I have also called the mint, no one there knows more than what is posted. Any help appreciated.

The gold (at today's spot) will be $1890, the silver medal is fixed at $99.95.

I agree with you ..... she looks mean :#

@jwitten said:
    The eyes of Lady Liberty are just weird. The rest is decent.

I think it was overly contoured :s

Details posted. See OP.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    Love the HHL of 1...

Agreed, for the first week or so.

Then if it's not a sellout, increase HHL to 10.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 3:13PM

Thank you OP for posting the pictures and information. Very thoughtful of you. I am looking forward to purchasing one of the medals and waiting on the gold. No rush, maybe a graded one in the future.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it. Why couldn't the designer just use a tiara or similar headgear?? The rays coming from the head look ridiculous.

Collector, occasional seller

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 8:29AM

The obverse looks vaguely like a retro Art Deco design.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    will price drop due to gold down?

Yes, see the OP for the estimated price ranges.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will pass. they may not even sell out, mintage way too high

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the 1/3 flowing hair and 2/3 sun rays. Should have been all flowing hair, jmo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file