Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Rarity - 1966 English Shilling In Proof, Newly Discovered And Raw!

This is a very nice coin just acquired. English proofs of the 1961-7 era are quite rare.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 12:13AM

Very nice coin, but looks like a high quality business strike rather than a proof. Perhaps struck at the beginning of the die's life. It doesn't display any noticeable cameo effect and the cartwheel luster looks identical over both the portrait and in fields. This tells me that there is no difference in surface texture between the fields and raised features. Also those are not the sharply squared rims found on proof versions, the ones where you can sometimes slice your finger open if not careful. I hope I'm wrong as this would be an exciting and significant discovery, just not seeing it based on the photos.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is correct, no cameo. The surfaces are very similar to the satin specimen 1942-44 pieces, and a 1951 E that I have. So maybe best termed a specimen, this is very different from currency pieces in hand.

• Options

Also note that the edges you speak of actually are there and are best seen between 1 and 3 o'clock on the obverse and around 9 o'clock as well. The reverse is more bevelled off but not appearing as PMD filing

• Options