Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Jubilee Medal - Perhaps Machin's Finest Rendition of Elizabeth II

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2022 2:52PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This was just bought off ebay for $33, and is Extremely high relief; reverse is boring and wordy. I enclosed the hallmarks - I think was made by firm in Birmingham, UK on order of the Smithsonian in 1977. I would imagine a few were melted and had not seen it previously.

88.2 gms

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do Arnold Machin's initials appear anywhere on the piece?

I would not mind to see the reverse.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it bronze? How many were minted? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Sorry for the type: Machin.
    It is, I believe, silver. Will try to send a picture of the reverse and the COA/Insert in a couple hours or as soon as I can.
    1,000 minted.
    "AM" is at base of bust toward the front.

• Options

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. I'll bet many went in the melt pot 1979-1980.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Very nice indeed!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a stunning portrait.

Nice find

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bland reverse was probably intentional as it allowed the obverse to be fully struck up in high relief more easily. I've never seen it before. I would suspect that a very high percentage of the mintage have been melted in the 40+ years since it was struck. In spite of the beautiful portrait obverse I doubt if many coin dealers/precious metal buyers would have saved it from the melting pot ... it isn't US subject matter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That obverse is beautiful, so lifelike, as though one could reach out and touch the Queen's neck ... not that anyone ever would save Prince Philip! The nose is a bit long for the design, but overall gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous portrait, and I love the way the area around the crown has toned up. :+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Yes, that was a tough coin/medal to beat at $33 USD.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's sterling, Hallmarks are London, 1977.
    Nice pick up!

• Options

Thanks for that. I think I want the Royal Mint one done in the style of the 1989 Sovs....

• Options

I was wondering about QE II's nose treatment, but not far off as that was not her most attractive characteristic. I think I like this because when I was a student in immediate post-colonial Cyprus her portrait was everywhere. Funny how in almost all ways they tried to outdo the Brits at being British. LOL .