Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Kings "Bullet Book", Edward V, 1483

• Edward V was declared king, but never crowned. He was kept prisoner in the Tower of London until he was murdered under orders from either Rickard III (most often cited) or Henry VII (less often cited, a more modern interpretation.)

• The only coin that cites Edward V is a very rare gold noble, S-2144A, that reads, “EDWARD DI GRA,” (Edward V). Sorry, guys, no coin. It’s beyond my colleting capacity

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The history of these royals is sometimes very fuzzy. It seems to depend on who was in power when the writing was done. For many years the story of Richard III's death on the battlefield had him being chopped up into little pieces. This was apparently untrue as his remains were recently discovered in what was an intact state. He finally received his royal burial.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is debate as to whether any of the coins in the name of Edward, with rose/sun mintmark should be assigned to Edward V rather than Edward IV. It’s an unsettled debate.

Some of the gold angel coins can be assigned to Edward V through the investigation of die links. But really they look the same as the coins of Eddie IV.

There are also Irish coins which some attribute to Edward V. These are really tough coins to attribute as even the best examples are on undersized planchets frequently so small you can’t appreciate the legend, and the debate on these also continues.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

When I was young these were considered Edward V, but the general feeling now that I'm middle aged is that they are Edward IV, when I'm old I expect them to be Edward V again. That is the nature of attribution on early coinage.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if irrefutable documentary evidence, even DNA testing, will determine if their remains are indeed known. Westminster Abbey won't permit any examination of the said bones now.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The history of these royals is sometimes very fuzzy. It seems to depend on who was in power when the writing was done. For many years the story of Richard III's death on the battlefield had him being chopped up into little pieces. This was apparently untrue as his remains were recently discovered in what was an intact state. He finally received his royal burial.

Indeed, the victorious write the history and the vanquished are forgotten.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21