Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Grading Coin

Purchased the half crown raw on eBay. Hoping that the coin can be sent in to be graded, any thoughts on where it will land?

Thank you for the help - Bobby

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

AU50-53 - too much rub on jaw line and hair detail above ear

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse looks good, obverse not so much. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

AU 50-55

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50-53.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you guys but if he sends it in to a major TPGS I'll bet he gets either 58 or 61(if it is as original as it looks). I'd save my money and buy more coins.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your help. Paid only $26 for the coin. I guess I have a long way to go on my grading skills...

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse is no better than AU-58. I am torn between AU-55 and 58. The reverse is a lower end Unc., but the obverse sets the grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough value to warrant submission.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 58 and bet it is slightly better in hand than photos.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The obverse is no better than AU-58. I am torn between AU-55 and 58. The reverse is a lower end Unc., but the obverse sets the grade.

Bill - So in the future when I am looking at a raw coin the obverse is more important to determine the grade. Thanks for clarifying that because I often wondered what sets the grade when the sides are different.

I am getting out of US Coins (mostly modern mint items) and moving over to World coins (House of Windsor type set, circulation issues). The designs are just so incredibly interesting. I am trying to learn by purchasing the Spinks reference books and this really excellent world coin forum with all of the knowledgeable and experienced collectors.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help.
    Bobby