Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Ten PCGS REGISTRY SETS ARE NOW COMPLETE with "Digital" albums

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 6, 2019 9:16AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

LISTED: 6/18/18
My PCGS Kennedy set is now complete and is currently ranked 4th. Still looking for upgrades.
The set names is: WAYNEAS11and is under the category "Kennedy Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1964-Present)". There is a full digital album for viewing but let's just say up front that I am not good at taking pictures.
PM me if you have something that would upgrade this set and thanks to those who helped me complete it.
Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Wayne!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Congratulations Wayne!

Kind regards,

George

Thanks George your coin completed this set

Kennedys are my quest...

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set = Great effort . Congrats.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

@giorgio11 said:
    Congratulations Wayne!

Kind regards,

George

Once again thanks

Kennedys are my quest...

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice job,,, Congratulations

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Sweeeeet !!!
    Congrats

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice accomplishment :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@Currin said:
    Very nice job,,, Congratulations

your registry sets are impressive...nice job... I wished that I had started my Kennedy set earlier but it is what it is

Kennedys are my quest...

Feel free to leave some comments and let me know what you have to update this set

Kennedys are my quest...

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, but even you note you are now looking for upgrades. They really are never "complete".

Here is a link to the set: https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dollars/kennedy-half-dollars-major-sets/kennedy-half-dollars-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-proof-1964-present/alltimeset/146564

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Yes you are correct as I want to update my set to become a number 1 but even then it is an upgrade away to keep it there.
    What is nice is that the sets ahead of me will be sold at some time in the near future and this set will continue on
    and will stay in the family for generations to come.
    I hope that I might inspire future family generations to become collectors and keep this set intact.
    Thank you for posting your comments and please let me know if you have an upgrade available.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    My PCGS Kennedy set is now complete and is currently ranked 4th. Still looking for upgrades.
    The set names is: WAYNEAS11and is under the category "Kennedy Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1964-Present)". There is a full digital album for viewing but let's just say up front that I am not good at taking pictures.
    PM me if you have something that would upgrade this set and thanks to those who helped me complete it.

6/29/18 update
    Have added a new PCGS Digital Album for "Kennedy Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present)" my set: "WayneAS19" This set is currently listed as #5 finest rank. Feel free to view.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you @WAYNEAS have a link to the album? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@WAYNEAS said:

@WAYNEAS said:

6/29/18 update
    Have added a new PCGS Digital Album for "Kennedy Half Dollars with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present)" my set: "WayneAS19" This set is currently listed as #5 finest rank. Feel free to view.

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/165583

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Kennedys are my quest...

edited July 4, 2018 8:57AM

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

You go Wayne!

Kind regards,

George

Hmmm. Your sets aren't showing up for me, at least, with either Firefox Quantum or Safari. Anyone else having trouble viewing Wayne's treasures?

Kind regards,

George

Wayne

@giorgio11 said:
    Hmmm. Your sets aren't showing up for me, at least, with either Firefox Quantum or Safari. Anyone else having trouble viewing Wayne's treasures?

Kind regards,

George

Try the links that I just modified to see if you can view

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

I can see them now on Safari browser, not Firefox Quantum which I was noodling around with this morning to see if I wanted to switch back to it. Your links seem to be fine! And your coins!

Kind regards,

George

Thanks again George
    I can't seem to figure out how to link directly to the digital album(s)
    what happens if you try this link
    do you need to be signed in to PCGS first?
    Please let me know
    Wayne
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/146564

Kennedys are my quest...

I stay signed in to PCGS but the link says "Album Not Publicly Viewable."

Sorry but I'm not high-tech enough to help any more than that ...

Kind regards,

George

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

thanks

Kennedys are my quest...

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

He needs to "publish" the digital album. It is under the settings.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

@WAYNEAS FYI

George

I can see it now! Very nice, Wayne! I love it when a plan comes together. This thread is an example of cooperation among numismatists at its finest.

Kind regards,

George

@dbldie55 said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

@dbldie55 said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

Kennedys are my quest...

Somebody out there has coins for sale that will update my sets. I have (2) sets ranked #11 and they with the right coin and price will move them into the top 10. I will give you acknowledgement for the coin(s) in my sets that I will never sell. Come on be a part of history. Many sets are being sold and dissolved that they are paying sellers price fees. Deal directly and get more for your coins. Life is not only about making a profit.
    Thanks -Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2018 5:06PM

I've debated for a long time if I should register my set of Morgan Dollars or not. I kept wondering "what's" the benefit, other than bragging rights. Well I have been manually updating my spreadsheet with things like population reports, relative values, comments, etc. Then I realized I can get those things updated automatically from the registry so I spent the time registering my sets.

I was disappointed in my initial ranking since my actual grade average (according to my spreadsheet) showed that I should be ranked close to #20. Once all the coins were entered into the registry I was in the lower 40's. (WTF) Then I read more about the weighting calculations for a set. :/ Okay, I didn't make the rules, I just play by them.

One of the rules I just don't understand at all, is the added .5 point you get if your coin was slabbed with the Gold Shield service. In other words if I have a MS65+ in a non gold shield slab I don't get the extra .5 of a point. But if it were in a Gold Shield slab I would get it.

Can someone explain the logic that the Gold Shield slab gets more points than a non Gold Shield slab? I thought this was about the "coins" and not the holders? A PCGS graded 65+ is a 65+ regardless if Gold Shield or not.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

CCGGG

I am not aware of + rated coins that are not in Gold Shield slabs, as I thought that was when + grades started at PCGS. Do you have + graded coins that are not in shield slabs?

Your rating may be lower than you expected because of PL and DM's are being rewarded with higher points and also depending, scarcer coins also have an additional double, triple, or more weighting points, so it is a bit complicated as you discovered.

Really tough to find, rare, DM coins get a lot of rating points. Ultimately it is about the coins and PCGS has come up with a system to try to deal with the quality. It is not perfect, but it does have rules that are followed and strict grading.

Yes I do have + coins not in Gold Shield slabs. These slabs are of earlier years as in 1964 to 1980's. The gold shield slab was not to my knowledge around then. I have used the "what if" function and have up graded these coins to MS70DMPL and there are no changes as to the rating. All 3 designations MS70, MS70PL and MSDMPL get a rating of 70.00 and not 71.00. If I lower the coin grade to MS69 the rating goes to 69.00. Note: This is on 1 coin in the Kennedy series and that being a 2014 s MS70 PL signed by Moy. I have emailed PCGS on this particular coin and have asked what are the rules governing the "Rating System", but have not received an answer of yet. There are only 59 coins rated DMPL currently for this coin in all of the series as in First strike, etc., etc. There is only 1 coin (POP1) with none graded higher in the Moy series with the MS70DMPL. It too rates only a 70.00. Hopefully they will send me a response and then I can update his post with the results.
    Thanks for your input CCGGG
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Info from PCGS email on some clarification on plus grade history and the change from Secure to Gold Shield,

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting PCGS.

PCGS announced the “Secure Plus” Service on March 25th, 2010. As a part of the Secure Plus Service, PCGS started rendering “plus” grades automatically on Rarities and Ultra Rarities as those services now included the new Secure Plus service.

Secure Plus was also offered as an add-on service on Walkthru, Express and Gold Express service levels for raw coins and regrades. There was an additional fee for the Secure Plus service for these service levels.

In August of 2011, PCGS expanded “plus” grades to include Economy level submissions and higher if a customer selected Secure Plus on their submission form.

Shortly after this, PCGS rebranded “Secure Plus” as “Secure” when we expanded “plus grades” to all service levels. The word “plus” was removed from “Secure Plus” as “plus grades” were now available as a part of PCGS’s standard grading and did not require “Secure” to be selected to receive the “plus designation”.

In January of 2018, PCGS rebranded “Secure” as “Gold Shield” and offered it as an included service for Express Service level submissions and above. Gold Shield is now required for all coins submitted to PCGS that are valued above $3,000 individually, any coin submitted through a Service Level that does not include Gold Shield will be charged an additional $5 per coin fee if the customer selects the Gold Shield service. Gold Shield now also includes PCGS TrueView imaging.
    "Plus Grades" exhibit exceptional eye appeal for the grade and constitute the top 30% of the coins in the grade.
    Only XF-45 through MS/PR-68 are eligible for Plus grades. Numerically, this includes 45, 50, 53, 55, 58, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, & 68.

Additional information on the Gold Shield service can be found at www.PCGS.com/GoldShield, additional information on PCGS’s Grading Standards can be found at www.PCGS.com/Grades.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

gee whiz,and I am an engineer and have no clue to what they are saying....
    are they mixing grade with a label and slab designation/type or what
    all of my coins that are a + grade are not in a special holder of shield nor contains a plus wording on the label.
    all coins are verifiable on the authentic verification website
    what the h**l are they saying
    if you have a security slabbed coin it gets a .5 "grade" increase?
    no way cause then money buys a better grade
    I feel your pain
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne, I checked out your digital album and you have some nice Kennedy sets.

Congrats.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@Goldminers said:
    CCGGG

I am not aware of + rated coins that are not in Gold Shield slabs, as I thought that was when + grades started at PCGS. Do you have + graded coins that are not in shield slabs?

>
    Absolutely, several. Here's an example.

edited July 20, 2018 5:35PM

@Goldminers said:

Your rating may be lower than you expected because of PL and DM's are being rewarded with higher points and also depending, scarcer coins also have an additional double, triple, or more weighting points, so it is a bit complicated as you discovered.

To me (and it's only my preference) I really don't like PL's and DMPL's. Matter of fact, I won't buy a PL labeled coin. I do however like blast white coins. (not with pennies of course) To me that's the way they the "mint" intended them to be for circulation strikes. To me, PL's or DMPL's are just "oddities" within batch of minted coins. Now it's a different story for true "proofs' that were intended to be minted from special dies, higher pressures, etc. It's no doubt when you have a proof coin in your hand that it was minted to be like that and was not intended for general circulation.

So why make this so $%#% complicated. A MS65 gets 65 points, regardless of year, mm, etc.

I agree a grade is a grade none higher than 70 but it now seems that if you pay for a certain holder the rating will go up

Kennedys are my quest...

edited July 23, 2018 10:40AM

Note for anyone following this thread; the rule for the + grades has been updated. (basically removing the "Gold Shield" words) Thanks to our host for acting on this thread.

Updated rule now reads;

PCGS Plus Grades

Coins that have been graded with a plus grade receive a .5 increase in the grade. In other words, a coin graded 65+ will be calculated as 65.5 in the Registry.

I still think that a ms70 PL deserves a 70.5 rating with a ms70dmpl getting the ms71 rating

Kennedys are my quest...

so I have actually 10 sets in the Kennedy series that are 100% complete and ranked but only 3 have digital albums because I know that these other sets will be constantly upgraded in the near future. If somebody has an upgrade to my sets at a reasonable price , please email me.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

My Kennedy registry sets now have their own digital albums. I would like comments on these sets and any leads on coins that would upgrade them.
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/146564 is to one of the sets. When you go to this set there should be a link to view my other sets.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    My Kennedy registry sets now have their own digital albums. I would like comments on these sets and any leads on coins that would upgrade them.
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/146564 is to one of the sets. When you go to this set there should be a link to view my other sets.
    Wayne

Very nice Kennedy set @WAYNEAS! Thanks for sharing your Registry.

@Hemispherical said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Thanks for your comment. Did you look at any other of my registry sets?

Kennedys are my quest...

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@Hemispherical said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Thanks for your comment. Did you look at any other of my registry sets?

I looked at:

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/146564

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/165583

https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/album/162139

Very nice!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congrats on a great set of Kennedy's.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Very nice! Congrats on a great set of Kennedy's.

Thank you

Kennedys are my quest...