Home Sports Talk

Your first memories of when you got cable tv.

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are vague, but I do remember seeing Mario Lemieux's first game. I believe ESPN showed it, and he scored on his very first shift.

I also remember watching a lot of MTV.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too long ago!

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2018 3:49PM

Wrestling, Cubs games, Braves games, and it seemed like a lot of Bruins games. Which is why Bourque and Neely were two of my first favorites...and possibly why I think Dale Murphy is a HOFer.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of MTV and Braves games. We got cable in either late 1981 or early 1982 - sometime after the launch of MTV in 1981. It was often tough to find something to watch so we watched a lot of Braves games that year. They were good - starting 13-0 and winning the division - and they were ALWAYS on (147 of 162 games). When we weren't watching baseball, MTV was on and basically served as a radio for the house.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

first time you got cable or heard of cable ? I dib't get it until 1985 but my aunt vicki had irt in conway new hampshire in the early 70's. I remember her cable box had a knob on it that went from 1 to 12 :D

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN and MTV. There was no reason to leave the house

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on everybody, stop making chit up...we already know the main reason ya first got cable TV was for the Playboy channel. ;)

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before cable there was the preview channel , and starcase :D . They came in all scrambled with an antenna and you needed a descrambler box . I can remember trying to watch without the box

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Before cable there was the preview channel , and starcase :D . They came in all scrambled with an antenna and you needed a descrambler box . I can remember trying to watch without the box

Parts of her on the left of the screen, parts of her on the right of the screen, parts of her on the top of the screen, parts of her on the bottom of the screen...it was all very confusing. :D

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fall of 1991 or so I had it installed. Reception was cruddy and looked like a blizzard. Guy came out to fix it and after he left the results were the same. Had it disconnected the following day.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

College dorm, lots of MTV (back when they were still mostly music videos).

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

MTV!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Qube

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

That explains a lot

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

No memories of it, never had cable TV.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.