Print this thread.

Thread Title Wierd Kennedy found in roll...

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:33 AM
Posted By: Peaceman (Master Collector)

Going through a roll of half dollars I came across this. Looks to be gold plated maybe from the Franklin Mint?... Sounds real, feels real, looks real except for the far tips of the Eagle wing feathers where it is sort of distored. Why would anyone take the time to punch two dates into it and coat it...

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:36 AM
Posted By: MsMorrisine (Choose Your Title)

I've found one like that.

People do. I didn't even bother to look up the potential significance of the dates.

-------------------------
BST's: me as a buyer: mbogoman, smokincoin, INXS, Raybob15239, 57loaded, Bochiman, wondercoin, drwstr123, weather11am, ianrussell @ gc & seller: wondercoin

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:37 AM
Posted By: erickso1 (Collector)

Peaceman, this sounds like the same type of coin, with all plating.

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:43 AM
Posted By: 1tommy (Collector)

how incredible of a story i too searched a box back here in illinois and i have the same exact coin lol 1983 bright silver and back is gold colored lol somebodys cashing them in...... i thought what a weird stamp on a coin hmmm interesting

My Registry Set.......Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and so Are Those who teach us what to search For.

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:47 AM

Thanks for the link. If you click under it, it seems to give the answer:

Issued/sold through CSOA (collectors Society of America) Garnerville, NY 10923. They are 24kt gold plated and came with certificaes.

My guess is that the gold on it isn't worth anything... ?

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:51 AM
Posted By: JedPlanchet (Veteran)

Evidently, you've got a real find there link

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:54 AM
Posted By: JedPlanchet (Veteran)

For more amusement:

<< Brochure: CSOA presents “A special commemorative honoring the twentieth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s election to the presidency of the United states”- “John F. Kennedy half-dollar electroplated with genuine 24 karat gold” (also see JFK VF)

Letter: from CSOA urging people to buy the gold plated John F. Kennedy half-dollar (also see JFK VF)

Order form: of the Golden Kennedy halves

Flyer: “Unless you order now you will never get another chance!” with reference to ordering the Golden Kennedy halves
>>

link goes to a pdf file ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 9:57 AM
Posted By: erickso1 (Collector)

Did a little more google digging and came across someones post with this advertisement.

, kind of hard to see but it reads,

"Each Golden Kennedy Half Dollar is stamped with the legend 1960 - 1980 and comes with a serial numbered certificate affirming that this commemorative is electroplated with pure 24-karat gold."

"To honor one of our most beloved national leaders, the Collectors Society of America is proud to offer this unique 1980 Commemorative Edition: An authentic Kennedy Half Dollar electroplated with 24-karat gold:

Sooo, w/o the certificate I'm just not sure it is a real commemorative 24k gold plated counterstamped Kennedy.

04/03/2010 09:58:54|U

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 10:21 AM

Suggestions to get some of the haze off....

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 10:26 AM
Posted By: Baley (Choose Your Title)

I've got 5 of them, with the original certificates of authenticity. Also, one gold plated bezel and neckchain.

I think I paid $4 for the whole kit and kaboodle.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 4:11 PM
Posted By: 1tommy (Collector)

how funny guess i need to look on ebay for a CSOA Certified ticket lol to go along with the new coin, well at least you answered all my questions mine is pretty clean for being in a roll but the back is goldplated the front seems to be silver plated the side of the coin is silver

My Registry Set.......Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and so Are Those who teach us what to search For.

Date Posted: Apr/03/2010 4:29 PM
Posted By: lordmarcovan (The Holey of Holeys)

Gold plated? I don't see the color. Looks more like it got chromed, to me? Not a Franklin Mint job, I wouldn't think. It's not uncommon. I got a chromed Walker half in a roll once (not from the bank, obviously). It had probably done time in somebody's money clip.

<< Wierd >>

That very spelling cost me the GA state spelling championship in 1984. I came in second because of a stupid five-letter word. "Weird" is a weird word. It doesn't follow the "I before E" rule (which is as full of holes as Swiss cheese- they shouldn't even teach it).

<< Why would anyone take the time to punch two dates into it and coat it... >>

Who knows. I must confess I overlooked the counterstamps at first. 1960-1980 seems to cover the 20th anniversary of Kennedy's election, but beyond that, I can't figure out what it's all about.

Just another odd and curious piece, I guess.

Edit- OK, now I read the other replies. (I really should learn to do that before posting).

That eBay auction is hilarious.

~ eBay ~ Box of 20 ~ Ancients

04/03/2010 16:31:34|U