Print this thread.

Thread Title What's the biggest financial homerun you have made in numismatics?

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:27 AM
Posted By: fivecents (Choose Your Title)

Maybe you bought a coin raw and submitted it to a TPGS. Cracked a coin out or crossed a coin over. It doesn't even have to be a coin, it can be anything relating to numismatics.

Lets here some stories.

-------------------------
Hey homey.....Watch out for those PCGS Rattlers and "NO LINE" NGC Fatties.

"Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot".

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:28 AM
Posted By: MadMarty (Numismatute)

Easy, a 1962 Frankie I paid $7 for, came back from PCGS a MS66FBL!

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:32 AM
Posted By: guitarwes (Master Collector)

I'm a small fry, so mine "home run" will seem like a "bunt" to many on these boards, but I bought a $10 and $2 1/2 dollar gold piece from a Pawn Shop once for $125 each.

Sold the $10 for $320 last year and still have the $2 1/2..........

AND......Jumped on the 20th ANN. SAE bandwagon early and bought several at the mint's price.....waiting on these to hit $500/set.....which I believe they will and then CASH IN!

wes

LINK TO EBAY STORE.......My greatest fear is that one day I will die.......and my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:33 AM

I remember that Marty. Didn't you buy it for $7 raw, submit it, it came back MS66FBL and you sold it for around $12,000?

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:33 AM
Posted By: holeinone1972 (Master Collector)

Sorry I am a rookie.

Bought a 2006 w plat for $1300 slabbed a ms70 value now at $4k yeah wish I would have bought 10

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:35 AM
Posted By: jmj3esq (Master Collector)

Paid $4.50 for a 1966 Kennedy half. Sent it to PCGS. It graded MS67. I sold it for about $2,700.

Early Commemorative Collection

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:37 AM
Posted By: itsnotjustme (Choose Your Title)

Ike Purchase: $1.80
Grading/Shipping Costs: $15
Grade: MS67
Value: High
Result: Proud member of the finest Ike Collection in the World!

[">For Sale

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
Last Donation: Platelets, 26 Nov 08, at the Pentagon

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:38 AM
Posted By: Pistareen (Collector)

I've convinced several different people to give me a check every two weeks just to sit here and screw around with coins. If that ain't a home run, I don't know what is.

John Kraljevich Americana
Betts medals, colonial coins, US Mint medals, foreign coins found in early America, and other numismatic Americana

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:39 AM
Posted By: mirabela (Expert Collector)

I bought an accumulation of 1982 & 1983 souvenir sets, both the official mint kind & the private company kind, priced at $7 each.

mirabela

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:39 AM
Posted By: RYK (Dirty Gold Man)

Strangely enough, my biggest short-term percentage gainer was probably a coin book deal.

On ebay, I bought a copy of Kagin's book on Territorial gold for $40 or so. Oh, yeah, in the fine print, the auction also included David Akers complete six volume encyclopedia of US gold coins. I immediately sold five of the six volumes for about $225 total (and kept the sixth and Kagin's book).

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:40 AM
Posted By: RYK (Dirty Gold Man)

<< I've convinced several different people to give me a check every two weeks just to sit here and screw around with coins. If that ain't a home run, I don't know what is. >>

You win!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:40 AM
Posted By: AUandAG (Choose Your Title)

Bought a small collection of gold coins from a neighbor who was moving. Paid fair prices we both
thought. Coins were in old scruffed up square plastic holders and looked every bit of average.
Seller indicated that he got them from a boss as a bonus over a couple of years. Well.....one was
a 1905 2 1/2 gold dollar... Paid him $190 and he was tickled. Cracked it out and wow it was nice..
Sent to pcgs and it came back MS65 and put up on ebay and got $2700 for it. Neighbor was pleased,
I was pleased and the buyer left excellent feedback!
bob

BST deals: Dozens of buys/sells. Will provide a list upon request.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:43 AM
Posted By: pf70collector (Master Collector)

A proof set 70 bought for $1500 in 04 and sold it for $5200 this year. 2004 plat proof from U.S. Mint for $720. 10 Rolls various year ASE's bought in 04 have doubled just from bullion alone. I regret not buying a 96 roll when they were going for $600 a roll.

Montana State Quarter Die Clash

Box of 20

02/09/2007 07:46:38|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:43 AM
Posted By: ziggy29 (Certified Thread Killer)

Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby.

02/09/2007 07:47:07|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:44 AM
Posted By: 410a (Collector)

"I'm holding some american eagles one ounce at $300 plus juice.
or approx $320/per ounce. Then of course I have dollar cost averaged all the way up to now so, I have to go figure. Recently, I bought all kinds of MODERN CRAP and made $$$$ every step of the way and without long 3-5 years hold times. In 1989 I bought an MS 65 1878 CC Morgan Dollar at $2250. and saw it rise to retail $5,000.
Sold it along the way up. maybe $1250 profit in short time. Never had any big big scores just a lot of opporunity, some I never took.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:44 AM
Posted By: DennisH (VAM Values Nerd)

Upgraded an MS62 PCGS 1901-P Morgan to MS63.

When in doubt, don't.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:45 AM
Posted By: ttown (Expert Collector)

2006 W Platinums.....is that numismatics

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:45 AM
Posted By: dunerlaw (Senior Member)

Bought 23-s merc on ebay for $450, came back MS65FB which is worth around 6k.

Larry Martin's Mercury Dime Variety Set

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:53 AM
Posted By: Wolf359 (Choose Your Title)

Bought an attractive, raw BU 1900-O on eBay for $70, came back from PCGS 1900-O/CC in an MS65 holder.

WebSite, Morgan Dollars

eBay sales

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:03 AM
Posted By: fastrudy (Collector)

I know that everybody is going to think I am one of those 'modern crap' collectors, but, after 40 years of collecting, I never made more money on a coin than the one oz platinum eagle purchased from the mint this year. Go figure!

Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:04 AM
Posted By: rec78 (Expert Collector)

I bought a nice F+ 1802 half cent off a local bid board for $50 with a very nice planchet. Sold it (like an idiot)
for $1000. This coin is now worth over $5000. And now i still need one for my album.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:04 AM
Posted By: Veep (Collector)

A couple of years ago, I went to a local auction that was attended by several area dealers. I wound-up with a $10 Indian for $455 and a 1941-S Walker for $75. Both slabbed as MS65's at PCGS and sold for $4,675 and $1,375 respectively.

More recently, I bought a raw '93-S Morgan for $2,550 at auction and sold it for $3,750. For sure, I've had some tough losses too, but fortunately they are getting more and more infrequent.

By the way, I do pay my taxes on the gains.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:07 AM
Posted By: coinpictures (Master Collector)

Russian proof ruble I bought 6-7 years ago for $75. Invested another $100 in NCS and NGC fees. Sold it for $1,500.

Numismotography

1/2 Cents

U.S. Revenue Stamps

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:10 AM
Posted By: tradedollarnut (been there - done that)

I bought the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty nickel. A year later, somebody wanted it and made a strong offer.

Trade Dollar Website Gobrecht, Seated, Trade Dollar Q&A

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:15 AM
Posted By: 410a (Collector)

Gee, Tradedollarnut, sounds not much different from any of my experiences.......

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:20 AM
Posted By: Russ (Coin Ferengi)

Bought a group of four proof sets on eBay for $85. Two were 1964 sets with Accented Hair Kennedys. One graded PR65DCAM. The other graded PR68DCAM, and is the last one PCGS graded nearly four years ago.

Russ, NCNE

eBay consignment sales | | Collectibles from Resco CCC

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:20 AM
Posted By: Shamika (Choose Your Title)

Biggest percentage gain was a 1925-S Lincoln I purchased from a Bank Note dealer at a coin show for $8. It was weakly struck so he had it graded VF. In truth is was MS63'ish. I sold it on ebay shortly thereafter for ~$230.

Biggest financial gain was a PCGS MS65RB S-VDB picked up on eBay for $1,400. I traded it in another deal several years later for $3,000 in value.

Buyer and seller of coin boards!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:29 AM
Posted By: Fairlaneman (Choose Your Title)

Selling my whole collection back in 1988 before everything hit the skids. Pure Luck.

Ken

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:33 AM
Posted By: FullStrike (Expert Collector)

<< I bought the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty nickel. A year later, somebody wanted it and made a strong offer >>

Big deal, big man.

During the 70's i bought a so-called roll of AU Morgans for about $114.00. The coins were so BU I sold em all for about $7.00 EACH.

<< I'm a small fry, so my "home run" will seem like a "bunt" to many on these boards, >>

Guess I'm more with guitarwes than the tradedollarnut

*** urgent message for Mr. Osama(Twin Towers) Bin Laden : I have a free WTC "Death Coin" Set for you. Please reply with your shipping address. For the safety of your Coins they will be hand delivered by Armed Agents of the CIA Courier Services. *** Coins successfully delivered May 1, 2011

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:40 AM
Posted By: jamakin (Collector)

I have not sold yet but one of the 20th anniversary ASE sets that I bought from the mint graded 70/70/69 at PCGS. I used my 8 free submission coupon to get it graded so my cost was $100 +shippping.
I want to sell it but I just can't bring myself to do it!!
It's like hitting the home run ball and not running the bases. I'm standing frozen in disbelief waiting to see if it is just a pop fly ball.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:41 AM
Posted By: richardshipp (Master Collector)

My favorite. Bought when I was a kid from a dealers "junk box" for about 25 cents... didn't know what I had until almost 40 years later

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:05 AM
Posted By: ColonialCoinUnion (Choose Your Title)

Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250.

Coin Rarities Online

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:09 AM

<< Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250. >>

You suck.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:09 AM
Posted By: Longacre (Socratic Methodist)

I just got lucky and bought a $10 gold eagle from a dealer and then next month Trends increased significantly for some reason (I still don't know why). I sold it for about a $1,500 profit. Again, it was pure luck and no skill at all.

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:12 AM
Posted By: planetsteve (Collector)

<< Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby. >>

Well... aren't those tales basically about finding a vastly underappreciated coin, becoming an advocate for its recognition, and assisting demanding collectors with their quest for exemplary coins -- all while helping to improve the accuracy of the pop reports?

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:16 AM

<< Well... aren't those tales basically about finding a vastly underappreciated coin, becoming an advocate for its recognition, and assisting demanding collectors with their quest for exemplary coins -- all while helping to improve the accuracy of the pop reports? >>

But does anyone really think people would pay 2x as much for a raw 65-caliber coin as a raw 64-caliber coin if there weren't slabbers putting numbers on a coin and registry sets to fill?

Hint: Think back to the "old days" before slabbing and compare the difference between "choice BU" and "gem BU" coin prices to the difference between (say) 64 and 66 today. The difference, IMO, is the number and the plastic.

02/09/2007 09:17:16|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:18 AM

<< << Bought a colonial coin on Ebay for $40 and sold it for $8,250. >>

You suck.
>>

Yep, that's an example of the top tier YOU SUCK!!!™.

Russ, NCNE

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:19 AM
Posted By: clarkbar04 (Collector)

My mom used to have a reupholstery business and found a 1932 D washington in an old couch. I got the coin a decade or so ago and sold it for $130 last year. That's my idea of a home run!

Morgan dollars are coins too.

02/09/2007 09:19:41|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:21 AM
Posted By: centmaster (Veteran)

I pulled a 1990D nickel out of my change a few years ago and sold it for over $1200 after it came back as 66FS- a pop 1 at the time.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:24 AM

I can see protesting about craven crack-outs looking to make, say, $1000 by turning a solid or strong MS64 into a weak MS65. OTOH, if a very rare condition half dollar is sitting in the collection of some dingbat who wants $7 for it, that coin needs to be rescued.

As a sometime stamp collector, I've been a bit irritated with the grading of stamps. The authentication is nice, but that's been available for a long time. Those collectibles are a hell of a lot easier to grade than coins, and the 100-point grading has put a lot of fresh, superbly centered issues out of reach. That's great for sellers, but disappointing for buyers.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:25 AM

<< I pulled a 1990D nickel out of my change a few years ago and sold it for over $1200 after it came back as 66FS- a pop 1 at the time. >>

MS66 quality out of circulating pocket change? Now that's collecting -- and suckitude.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:30 AM
Posted By: MoneyCollector (Senior Member)

Most fun: I paid $32 for a NGC AU50 '32 Washington. Thing is it was a '32-D. Had NGC reslab and sold for $450.

Most profitable: 2006 Mint offerings - platinum, gold and silver!

My eBay Items for Sale

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:33 AM
Posted By: centmaster (Veteran)

<< But does anyone really think people would pay 2x as much for a raw 65-caliber coin as a raw 64-caliber coin if there weren't slabbers putting numbers on a coin and registry sets to fill?

Hint: Think back to the "old days" before slabbing and compare the difference between "choice BU" and "gem BU" coin prices to the difference between (say) 64 and 66 today. The difference, IMO, is the number and the plastic.
>>

Ziggy, that is exactly the reason that TPGs were needed and created. We want the coins we know are better than most of the rest to be recognized as such. The antiquated terms you spoke of leave a great deal of latitude among the grade. That's why they aren't used very much anymore. Looking back at the "old days" is great, but we tend to remember only the good things. We don't remember the average collector getting ripped left and right by cleaned or overgraded coins.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:38 AM
Posted By: seanq (Master Collector)

I've been slowly submitting full step nickels that I colected in the late 1980s, many which were purchased for well under $2 each. The best hits so far were a $3 1953-D that went MS65FS and a 1979 that came out of a roll ($2 face, bought for $3) that went MS64FS. Both sold for well over $200 each.

From a pure profit standpoint, I won a 1936 Lincoln DDO#1 on eBay for $65, PCGS graded it AU55 and I sold it for about $625.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:38 AM
Posted By: Geoman (Expert Collector)

I bought a smaller sized coin collection a year ago, which included just common date US silver coins, such as Franklins, Peace Dollars, Morgan Dollars, a few Mercury dimes. All well worn, which I paid slightly over melt for them. Along with the collection was a bunch of common date wheats, and some world coins. Nothing special. In fact, I paid less than $200 for the collection.

Included in the collection were 4 worn silver certificates. I don't collect paper money, and didn't want those. The person selling the collection insisted I include those as well, as she was just going to turn them into the bank. So I gave her $2 a piece for the three $1 silver certificates, and $10 for the one $5 silver certificate. Turns out the $5 silver certificate was a very rare note, with only 3 known pieces. I sold it for $800. Unfortunately, I couldn't contact the person selling the collection again, as she met me in a netural place and didn't give me her phone number, as I thought I should give her some more money for the $5 silver certificate.

$5 silver certificate - bought for $10
$5 sivler certificate - sold for $800

My second "homerun" was buying 4 of the 20th Anniversary ASE sets from the US Mint for $400, and selling them for $900.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:39 AM
Posted By: Murphy (Veteran)

1. The greatest would be the Cheerios Sacagawea dollar and cent that I got from buying 4 boxes of Cheerios at Kroger's. I sold the first one here at auction for $1800.

2. I bought a 1960 Proof Set at a dealer in Louisville for $14. It contained a lg/sm date cent worth $300.

Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
My EBay Store/Auctions

02/09/2007 09:42:35|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:45 AM
Posted By: BlindedByEgo (Choose Your Title)

<< Upgraded an MS62 PCGS 1901-P Morgan to MS63. >>

Nice on, Dennis!

Once I bought half a bag of silver for 6X face and flipped it for 10X face 6 months later

No plastic was used in the making of that profit

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 9:52 AM
Posted By: ZoomShadow (Member)

<<Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby. >>

The best things in life are free except coins

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:02 AM
Posted By: Connecticoin (Choose Your Title)

I picked off a 1854-O Seated Half for $85 off Ebay. Graded MS64 at PCGS.

>>Nothing for Sale<<

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:04 AM
Posted By: Amigo (Collector)

Usually I just make base hits. I often strike out when I go to upgrade coins/paper, and end up netting less after I sell my duplicates.

I have made a few home runs though.

The biggest home run came from pulling many examples of a certain variety coin out of bank rolls. It has probably enriched me and my 2 kids to the tune of 75-100k. I prefer not to disclose what coin it is, it was certainly a once in a life time opportunity. We haven't sold them yet and expect the prices to go higher in the coming years. Sometimes when you recognize an opportunity - you have to move on it. On the other hand, I can't count all the lost opportunities I let get away.

In another instance, I found a note that was incorrectly attributed by CGA. I had it slabbed by PMG and have at least a 15k profit tied into it. I've been able to make several base hits with Currency.

Right now, I'm working on another base hit. A freind has showed me how to make a small but steady monthly profit by searching for a particular coin that I can resell for a few times my cost. Modern Crap. Once again, I can't disclose the particular coin because of competition.

It's been a fun hobby, but my wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:29 AM
Posted By: Goober (Expert Collector)

Bought an 03-O Morgon for $20, then received $200 trade on a NGC MS-65 03-O priced at $300.

Barber .10 07-s for $80

Just bought an 09 VDB MS-66 for $80

Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:39 AM
Posted By: mcmxi (Veteran)

I bought a 1942/1 mercury dime for about $450. sent it to ncs who wouldn't do anything for it. Then sold it to a dealer for $2000

If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:03 AM
Posted By: kiyote (Expert Collector)

The 1999 silver proof set. I got it for what, $31.95? Sold it for north of $400.00.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:09 AM
Posted By: Stuart (Master Collector)

FiveCents: I posted the following 1892-S $20 Liberty Double Eagle - PCGS MS-65 Pop-1 Thread back in 2004 describing my good numismatic fortune.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

Stuart's PCGS PL & DMPL Morgan Dollar Registry Set

02/09/2007 11:09:41|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:13 AM
Posted By: ddbird (Master Collector)

Bought a toned peace for $30, sold with a better picture for about $550

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:31 AM
Posted By: thezookrew (Veteran)

Has to be finding some Wisconsin extra leaf quarters at the bank I used to work at. Cost = $.25 + $20 for slabbing apiece. Pretty nice profit on the back end!!!! Nothing like having a little luck while at a job I absolutely hated!!!

Does that earn me a "You Suck" Award?

TheZooKrew
Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07

02/09/2007 11:46:26|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 12:51 PM
Posted By: moosesr (Collector)

Bought this jefferson for $165 link Sold it for $2990 Link

02/09/2007 13:36:15|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:27 PM
Posted By: ricko (Sagacious Maven)

I like my '95 W ASE.... still have it despite offers of moon money.... Cheers, RickO

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:33 PM
Posted By: TennesseeDave (Expert Collector)

I bought an 1899-P Morgan and a 1928-P Peace dollar at a flea market for $150.00 They were later graded as 64 and 63 respectfully.Sold them in 2001 for around $500 and have regretted it ever since.

Trade $ collector

Trade $ showcase:TnDave's Trade $'s

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:34 PM
Posted By: stephunter (Collector)

Bought a raw 45-s Jefferson on ebay for 85.00. Had it graded and sold it 6 months later for 1,800.00.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:37 PM
Posted By: flyingcougar13 (Senior Member)

A couple of years ago I won a ICG AU58 09-S VDB on eBay. My jaw dropped when I got it,
cracked it out and sent it in, came back PCGS 63RB.

Keith

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:37 PM
Posted By: Joflax (Collector)

Bought a NGC 2004 w pf 70 platinum set on TT at mint issue price, but the 95w that I have had forever feel more like a home run

Buy the dips!!!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:42 PM
Posted By: Rarity (Collector)

20th Anniversary AGE set in my safe deposit box.
And a 1999-S 10 coins Silver Proof set that I bought from the Mint for less than $40 and is worth $300 now

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:56 PM
Posted By: Topdollarpaid (Senior Member)

I bought a old Marble on ebay for $250.00
and sold it for $ 4500.00

Randy C. Conway

Remember only buy from dealers that guarantee what they sell !!!
EVEN ON EBAY !!
I am "AmericasCoinStore" on ebay
Satisfaction Guaranteed always

02/09/2007 14:08:10|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 1:58 PM

<< Bought this jefferson for $165 link Sold it for $2990 Link >>

Nice!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 2:22 PM
Posted By: speety (Master Collector)

Mines not that good but i got a 1830 bust half for $50 from the flea market. Came back from pcgs at XF-45 with nice toning and sold for $300+. Not bad for my first coin purchase over $20

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:01 PM
Posted By: WinPitcher (Choose Your Title)

1986 Statue of liberty sets. bought 12 from the mint. tripled my money.

Steve

Good for you.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:35 PM
Posted By: p8nt (Expert Collector)

I bought an original roll of 1957 silver dimes on Ebay for about $50. This is the end roll coin (now pop 3/0) which I immediately sold for a handsome sum

03/11/2009 01:37:41|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:41 PM

<< Has to be finding some Wisconsin extra leaf quarters at the bank I used to work at. Cost = $.25 + $20 for slabbing apiece. Pretty nice profit on the back end!!!! Nothing like having a little luck while at a job I absolutely hated!!!

Does that earn me a "You Suck" Award?
>>

Yep, that's a YOU SUCK!!!™.

Russ, NCNE

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:42 PM
Posted By: PerryHall (Coin Connoisseur)

Bought an 1881 circulated gold $5 for a little over melt from a flea market coin dealer. It was the rare 1881/0 overdate variety and it slabbed at MS58.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:48 PM
Posted By: tyler267 (Veteran)

In the 1990's when you had to call your bids into teletrade I used to buy some of the multi coin lots. One of the lots I bought was a half roll of NGC 66 1945 Mercury Dimes (I think I paid about 15 bucks a coin). When they came in I glanced at the coins they looked nice so I just put them away. About 5 or 6 years later I ran accross them and decided to have a closer look. About 4-5 of the coins had 90 percent bands and one looked very close to being split. Anyway I wound up with a PCGS 64 Full Band Dime. The coin was sumitted raw, but it seemed kind of strange that it downgraded 2 points but got the band designation. But I'm not complianing.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:48 PM
Posted By: Rodius (Veteran)

I have two. I bought a Jefferson set 1939 - 1956, had a few graded and sold 3 that made the price of the set.

I bought 5 ASE sets and sold for 3 times + the price. Honestly I never thought they would sell and was going to keep them.

PCUSA

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:49 PM
Posted By: woodwalker (Senior Member)

I bought a 1983 proof set for $6.00, and traded it for a 16d merc in g-4. Oh, the proof set was missing an s on the dime.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 3:53 PM
Posted By: 21Walker (Collector)

Bought a raw 51S Frankie on ebay, submitted to PCGS, came back 64FBL.........sweet..........Rick

If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:19 PM

<< A couple of years ago I won a ICG AU58 09-S VDB on eBay. My jaw dropped when I got it,
cracked it out and sent it in, came back PCGS 63RB.
>>

For all the flack ICG gets -- mostly on their grading of high MS moderns -- I think in general AU-58 ICG coins are as nice as ANY TPG's AU-58s, bar none. No Kool-Aid needed.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:21 PM
Posted By: bidask (Master Collector)

Bot a 1919 d 10c raw for 200, came back PCGS MS 64 full split bands...have not sold it yet. l

Share the joy and its multiplied by two.
Share the grief and its halved by two.

02/09/2007 16:25:32|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:23 PM

I also just bot a 1592 Transylvania thaler raw for $3000. It came back PCGS MS 62. I don't know if I struck out or got a hit!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:32 PM
Posted By: coltgus (Senior Member)

I have had 3 :
1861-O $20 AU50 PCGS, regrade, came back AU55. $6,000 to $15,000.
1910-S $10 MS61 PCGS, regrade, came back MS63. This was 6X money.
1926-S Saint MS64 PCGS bought from Heritage for $3,600, put in Heritage auction, hammer $9,000.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:48 PM
Posted By: REALGATOR (Veteran)

Bought in 2004: 1882-CC $5 Gold SEGS AU paid $350.

Sold in 2005 as raw AU scratched for $2200+. 3 competing bidders in the last few minutes just had to have it!

-RG

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 4:58 PM
Posted By: LincolnCentMan (Master Collector)

I bought five raw toned mercs for $240 at a show. I sent them to PCGS. One came back MS67. Three came back MS67FB. The third came back MS68FB. I sold three of the coins, including the 68FB for 5K to a forum member. He has since gotten one of the 67FB's into a PCGS 68FB holder. I still have the remaining two mercs.

I have many other tells, but the merc dime sell is by far by % and $ the biggest homerun I've made.

-David

Ebay Auctions
The Key to Collecting

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 5:07 PM
Posted By: coindeuce (Choose Your Title)

Bought a PCGS MS-64 DMPL 1878 7/8 TF Morgan(Attributed as 7/8 Strong ) at auction last year for $3500. Since the coin was misattributed(actually 7/8 Weak), our host with the most reviewed the coin and agreed to reholder with the correct attribution, and return the coin to me with a $2K check for market value difference. Then the coin was sold to a Registry collector for the TOP 100 VAM that it was (VAM 32) for approximately 30% over my original cost.

" Moose-aliciousness transcends all. The quantification of virtue fails at times."
-ColonelJessup, 06/09/13.
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 5:11 PM
Posted By: Cladiator (I brake for Bust)

Here was mine, coulda been bigger...shoulda been bigger...I screwed up and didn't open the darn book!

"No one will be able to be armed. We will take all the weapons."

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 5:11 PM
Posted By: Animalkeeper (Veteran)

Wow! There's some cool homeruns!

Bought a 1912 $2 1/2 Indian as an AU55 back when gold was in the $300-$400 RANGE - I had no experience grading gold and the seller said no problem. Paid $139 for it. Slabbed it and it came back MS64. Still sitting on it as the gold market has kinda slumped. Retail is +$4000

Bought a 2006-W $10 Plat for $180 from the Mint. Slabbed it and it came back MS70. Still sitting on that one too - for right now. I'm not into the 70 thing....Retail is $1000.

Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 6:37 PM
Posted By: lasvegasteddy (Master Collector)

mine aren't too big to say the least but one goes as follows...
on the bay a 1923 peace pops up with a buy it now for $24.00 delivered noting that there is a die break on her jaw to neck in "ms" grade...it came and looks like a 61 with possible 62 whisker jaw top 50.
sad thing with it was..,
pqpeace on the boards here had requested a buy it now be placed on the auction then went to bed...:-O.
then while russ was sleepin i guess i scored an 64 proof set with a stunning ah half cameo which when off and back from grading should rest in at least 67 if not 68cam as i have pre-certified comparison examples and 68 isn't out of reason....oh the one grading example too is a ngc ah pr68cam for $150 delivered which brought a smile too
last is the 53' proof set at $200 delivered that has a really sweet cameo half resting in it-strong obv and rev contrasted...time to buy another 53 half as he's going on a journey into plastic land
as i say nothing big but hey i keep chugging

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

02/09/2007 18:44:15|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:10 PM
Posted By: yellowjacket (Collector)

Let me see...

1932-S Quarter Anacs 61 cracked out and came back PCGS 64. $235 to $2100 over 3 years.

1922 Plain Strong Reverse NGC 40 for $1400. Cracked it out and flipped it for $2400 as an AU.

25 1947 Red Lincolns from a $70 original roll graded 3 MS65, 21 MS66, 1 MS67. Also 5 Red 1954s from an original roll graded MS66. That paid for half of my daughter's wedding.

Right now I have a 14/13 5c overdate 58-62ish that I cherried for $75. I'm waiting for its return from the school.

Just to name very few...

Garrow

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:16 PM
Posted By: GoldenEyeNumismatics (Young Blood)

I bought a bunch of 10 oz silver bars when silver was at about $6 an ounce... sold them when silver hit $14

Link to my eBay listings.....
Yankee Coins, Inc.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:37 PM
Posted By: Coxe (Choose Your Title)

Bought a raw AU 1887 MOrgan for $22.50 at a local show. Sent it in the $50 service with VAM attribution to PCGS and it came back a week later in a holder that said VAM-1B AU53. Haven't sold it; so it's not yet a home run. But based on an offer I got for it, being the finest of about a half dozen known of 30+ years of looking for these, it is a paper homer.

The one full homer that does come to mind is a 1949-S Frankie I bought for $46 mail order in '95. It slabbed at 65FBL and sold for a lot more. I forget the price, but it was like 15X my cost or something.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
NSDR - Life Member
SSDC - Life Member
ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 7:44 PM
Posted By: tydye (Expert Collector)

About 8 years ago i was set up at the local market with a friend dumping part of my toy collection. A guy came up to my table and asked if I traded. I asked what he had and what he wanted to trade for. He was after Hot Wheels. He said he had an old silver dollar but that it was worth $2500. I did not believe him, but thought to myself maybe I could comvince him to just purchase the Hot Wheels as i had literally 1000s of them and they were taking up a lot of space. We made arrangement to meet later. He shows up (I never thought he would) and pulls out a 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar. And it was a perfect VF/XF. He wanted 2500 in trade for it. So i pack his truck up to the roof with 1000s of Hot Wheels and slip a 1795 Silver Dollar in my pocket. My best trade to date. I had about $500 into the Hot Wheels and still have the 1795 FH silver dollar which now resides in a PCGS VF-30 holder.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:03 PM
Posted By: SUMORADA (Expert Collector)

coins on ebay

10/21/2007 07:17:01|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 8:10 PM
Posted By: BigE2 (Collector)

Seems like I only hit HR's with Modern Mint stuff. 1995 Gold set w/ the W Silver Eagle and last years Plats and Silver Eagles.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 10:39 PM
Posted By: FullStrike (Expert Collector)

<< I bought a old Marble on ebay for $250.00

>>

Lucky you. What are the odds of finding someone who lost their marble and are willing to outbid all to get it back?

*** urgent message for Mr. Osama(Twin Towers) Bin Laden : I have a free WTC "Death Coin" Set for you. Please reply with your shipping address. For the safety of your Coins they will be hand delivered by Armed Agents of the CIA Courier Services. *** Coins successfully delivered May 1, 2011

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:19 PM
Posted By: Elcontador (Master Collector)

Bought a 36 S Walker in 1968 at an auction. Bidding was fierce & I had to pay $35 for it. The coin was a lustrous Unc., but some of the luster was obscured by a yellowish layer of sulfur oxide. The coin sat in a 2 by 2 for 30 years.

A dealer said he could get rid of the sulfur compound on the coin by dipping it; said it would not damage the coin. He did just that & I sent it to PCGS & it came back in a 5 holder. A year later, I got curious. I lined up a number of other Walkers in PC 5 holders. Mine looked better so I sent it in for an in holder regrade. It came back in a 6 holder, where it is today.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
"Seu cabra da peste,
"Sou Mangueira......."

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:37 PM
Posted By: lordmarcovan (The Holey of Holeys)

Bought a PCI green label MS62 1904 $20. Paid about EF or melt money for it at the time- around 400 bucks.

Cracked it, submitted it to PCGS, came back MS64. Sold it for something between $1200 and 1300, as I recall, so I got about an $800-900 profit when I flipped it here. Cha-ching.

Watch some of those old PCI greens.

Second-best would be the choice-VF 1914-D cent I cherrypicked out of a bulk bag of Wheaties about two years ago. Still need to send that one off to PCGS. It's genuine, without a doubt. And has pretty nice surfaces, too. But I'll probably get more selling it slabbed.

~ eBay ~ Box of 20 ~ Ancients

02/09/2007 23:39:59|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2007 11:41 PM
Posted By: clackamas (Master Collector)

I bought a collection of 1800 1968 mint sets for just under $4K. Pulled out a Uniqued FS 68-D Jefferson ($15K), 2 FS 68-S Jeffersons(~$3K), an MS67RD 68-P($2.5K), 3 MS67RD 68-D's ($7.5K), 5 MS67RD 68-S's($4K), an MS67 Ken Half($2K), a Dozen MS67 68-P Washintons($2.5K), 14 MS67 68-D Washintons($2K), 2 MS67 68-S Jefferosn($1.5K), a two dozen MS66 68-D Jefffersons ($2K) and scores of $100 68-P MS66RD Lincolns($3K). The list continues - all in all well over a $35K haul.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp Ebay Auctions

02/09/2007 23:42:27|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 5:50 AM
Posted By: Trime (Collector)

Paid 25C for a 1901-S 25C VF in a roll of quarters ( years ago). Worth more then and now.

Trime

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 6:03 AM
Posted By: TwoSides2aCoin (Shareholder)

I struck out in the first. The dealer was throwing curveballs and I kept swinging.

www is a vast domain in a lot of people's heads, and tails.

02/18/2009 14:34:17|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 6:31 AM
Posted By: billboat (Collector)

Raw 1903-O Barber Half from dealer for EF money ($225) kept it for about two years and decided to have it graded--came back MS63 (probably would sell for $1500+ today).

Curmudgeon in waiting!

02/10/2007 06:32:05|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:16 AM
Posted By: IRCWCoins (Veteran)

I bought a 1974-S Ike for $12.50 I sent it to NGC and it came back PF-69*UCAM. I sold it for $250. I bought a 1955 Mint Set for $20 and sold it to Braddick for $200. I bought a circulated 1899 Morgan out of a dealers junk bin for $12.00 and sold it for $125. I bought a 1853 A&R Quarter that a dealer had marked VF for $60, it came back EF-40 from PCGS and I sold it for $240.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:21 AM
Posted By: BAJJERFAN (MORGANOLOGIST)

Invested about $150 in wunna those 3 piece 20th anniv ASE sets from the mint and sold it for $1200 less expenses.

PLASTIC!! It adds a "little" and forgives a "lot". When people hem and haw when I want good money for my stuff I just say. You know what? If I hadn't paid up for this coin I wouldn't have it to sell to you.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:22 AM
Posted By: Hyperion (Choose Your Title)

+100

My Ebay (None)

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:24 AM
Posted By: Hyperion (Choose Your Title)

bought a sealed 2001 unc buff on the BST, opened it, got a MS70 from NGC, and immediately flipped it on the bay.

My Ebay (None)

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:49 AM
Posted By: RVDavis (Collector)

Bought an 1878 Morgan for $ 8. Sent it to ANACS, came back as AU 55 VAM 44 sold it for $ 1000 (I think, it's been 15 years) and wish I still had it.

Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:59 AM
Posted By: 09sVDB (Expert Collector)

Bought my SOL three coin proof set from the mint in 1986 for $165.00. Traded it a month later for a PCGS F15 1922P lincoln. Sold the lincoln last year for $1000.00

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 8:24 AM
Posted By: mrpaseo (Magpie)

When I was heavy into the Lincoln sets (Pre-Iraq tour number 1) I was bidding on 5 MS67RD's one night... One after the other I watched me lose high bid after high bid... I put an ugly insane bid on the last one... I pulled it home for about 157 bucks... Turns out it was like a POP 22 at the time (Or some very low number).

Upon redeployment of OIF I, I talked it out with a few respected forum members and decided to list it on the bay... It sold for over 1200... I cleared a grand on the sale.

The coin? PCGS, MS67RD 1958-D Lincoln.

Ray

PS. I just checked, the current POP for this coin/grade is 66

----->Giveaway<-----

02/10/2007 08:30:38|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 8:47 AM
Posted By: renman95 (Master Collector)

I found and 1939 nickel with double MONTICELLO, fine, in change when I was a cashier at a liquor store in 1975. I sold it a few years later for 65 cents. That's a 13-bagger right there... I wish I still had that coin. It's the only error I've ever found in circulation.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 8:56 AM
Posted By: Bikingnut (Expert Collector)

Easy, the 2006 20th Anniversary RP ASE that came back in a PF70 holder.

Dennis

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 9:06 AM
Posted By: rhedden (Expert Collector)

Bust halves in XF - AU-58 seemed undervalued in 2001-2002, so I bought 60 of them, especially the better dates. Of course, I picked the crustiest, most original coins I could find at the time. I'm feeling pretty good about that "investment" right now.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 10:49 AM
Posted By: chiefbob (Collector)

When I sent in a 1996 ASE to PCGS and it came back PR70DCAM in. I got a lot of great advice from the forum members on how to list it. Here's the thread: 1996 Proof ASE

It eventually sold for $2,600 on the Bay. Nice profit, considering I bought it from the Mint in 1996 for about $24 or so.

The only other Proof 70 I've ever had graded was the recent 20th Ann. ASE regular proof!

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
Vietnam Vet 1968-1969

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 10:52 AM
Posted By: dpoole (Destroyer of Forums)

Has to be buying the 10th Anniv. American Eagle set from the Mint in 1995 that included the 1995-W ASE for about $23.00. The ASE graded out a 69, and is worth (they say) about $6K now.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." -- Robert J. Hanlon

"What this place needs is a good Open Forum" -- Homerunhall (2001)

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 12:57 PM
Posted By: Delorean (Senior Member)

I'm new at collecting but I just bought a 2004 $25 Platinum graded MS70 for $210.00 I thought that was a good buy.

Chuck,

Ever Onward

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 3:32 PM
Posted By: cape (Collector)

buffs , 1927d geen label pcgs65 ist try and i got a new pcgs66 pop3 none higher, old 1925s pcgs 64 buff loaded with flecks and pvc, once being removed on the 4th try and now it is in a pcgs65 holder. the best for last my buddy caitlen had an old holder 1913d green pcgs67 buff that ive been telling him for 2 years to upgrade and he finally let me submitt the coin in july baltimore show of 2006 and ist try 1913d type 1 pcgs ms68. yes now im called mr horseshoe up his--- go ahead im ready for the you -----

ed rodrigues

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 3:49 PM
Posted By: roadrunner (Barbarous Relic No More)

I've had very few coins do much more than double up. But on
$500-$5000 coins that can work out well enough. In the 1988-89 market I made the first 1838-0 dime in MS65 after buying it for 64 money. Funny thing was the 2nd submission it went 63 before going 65. In any case I doubled up on that coin for $15,000 and sold it over the phone sight-unseen. Those were the days.

In my late teens I happened upon an 1852-0 Fine-15 quarter at one of my local coin shops that was mismarked as 1852. The mint mark was barely visible under odd toning. I happily paid $20 for it and flipped it to Kam Ahwash for $250. It's the only key date seated quarter I've ever run into at a local shop.

roadrunner

LSCC since 1974-MajorMarketMovements -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 5:24 PM
Posted By: mach19 (Expert Collector)

<<

<< I bought a old Marble on ebay for $250.00

>>

Lucky you. What are the odds of finding someone who lost their marble and are willing to outbid all to get it back?

>>

Nice

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING

02/10/2007 17:29:57|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:04 PM
Posted By: jonathanb (Collector)

This is an extremely cool thread. Let's see if I can summarize the top 10 among folks who posted dollar figures (because I'm too lazy to figure out the rest). For anything bought raw and slabbed, I'm figuring a minimum cost of $50 including slabbing/postage/etc, and I'm rounding heavily for everything:

Top 15 by dollar value
$100,000+ Legend Proof $20 PR67, purchased as PR66
$31,000 clackamas collection of 1800 1968 mint sets paid $4,000, now $35,000
$12,000 MadMarty 1962 50c MS66FBL paid $7 raw, sold $12,000
$10,000 jonathanb 1860-O 10c AU58 paid $408 raw (minus $400 for sale of rest of lot), now $10,000+
$9,000 jonathanb 1855 G$1 MS63 paid $400 raw, now $9,000+
$9,000 coltgus 1861-O $20 AU55 paid $6,000 as AU50, sold $15,000
$8,200 ColonialCoinUnion colonial (unspecified) paid $40, sold $8,250
$5,900 dpoole 1995-W ASE PR69 paid $23, now $6,000
$5,500 dunerlaw 1923-S 10c MS65FB paid $450 raw, now $6,000
$5,400 coltgus 1926-S $20 MS64 paid $3,600, sold $9,000
$4,250 Topdollarpaid marble paid $250, sold $4,500
$4,000 Veep $10 Indian MS65 paid $455 raw, sold $4,675
$4,000 jonathanb George Washington inaugural button paid $50 raw, sold $4,000
$3,800 Animalkeeper 1912 $2.50 MS64 paid $139, now $4,000
$2,800 mooser 1948-D 5c MS66FS paid $165 sold $2990

Top 14 by ratio
240x MadMarty 1962 50c MS66FBL paid $7 raw, sold $12,000
200x ColonialCoinUnion colonial (unspecified) paid $40, sold $8,250
110x dpoole 1995-W ASE PR69 paid $23, now $6,000
80x Geoman $5 silver certificate paid $10, sold $800
80x jonathanb George Washington inaugural button paid $50 raw, sold $4,000
54x jmj3esq 1966 50c MS67 paid $4.50 raw, sold $2,700
50x chiefbob 1996 ASE PR70 paid $24, sold $2,600
36x Murphy Cheerios $1 paid $5, sold $1,800
25x jonathanb 1860-O 10c AU58 paid $408 raw (minus $400 for sale of rest of lot), now $10,000+
23x centmaster 1990-D 5c MS66FS paid $0.05 raw, sold $1,200
22x jonathanb 1855 G$1 MS63 paid $400 raw, now $9,000+
18x ddbird Toned Peace $1 paid $30, sold $550
18x mooser 1948-D 5c MS66FS paid $165 sold $2990
18x Topdollarpaid marble paid $250, sold $4,500

My eBay Listings

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:10 PM
Posted By: 7over8 (Expert Collector)

unless some fool sold his 95-W prf for $23, then the 5900 made on the 95-w is incorrect. Sets were offerred for $999, even if you culled out the gold at the then current gold price, you had at least $250 in the single one oz proof. So 5700 it is!

Date Posted: Feb/10/2007 7:28 PM

<< unless some fool sold his 95-W prf for $23, then the 5900 made on the 95-w is incorrect. Sets were offerred for $999, even if you culled out the gold at the then current gold price, you had at least $250 in the single one oz proof. So 5700 it is! >>

A lot of the accounting figures presented in this thread made me raise my eyebrows, but I took everyone at their word. Allocating a minimum of $50 in slabbing fees eliminated some extremely high ratios that would have been assigned for circulation finds, but it mostly doesn't affect the other ratios and is pretty much irrelevent at this level for the dollar values. And since I rounded the figures, that's another fudge factor. My summary lists start off missing all of the scores that didn't list prices, so they're nowhere near complete.

For my own personal accounting (not related to this thread), I keep track of total cash flow. For example, I include the postage required to mail a check when calculating my cost for eBay wins, and I deduct PayPal fees when calculating the money I get from sales. But that's just me.

Any way you cut it, there are some incredible scores described in this thread!

My eBay Listings

Date Posted: Feb/11/2007 6:14 AM
Posted By: 7over8 (Expert Collector)

jonathanb,

you are correct, there are some impressive gains on that list.

please remember that there are alot of "talkers" in this game. I think they begin to believe thier own BS sometimes.

Date Posted: Feb/11/2007 5:37 PM
Posted By: cho10 (Senior Member)

I put some coins in an envelope when I was 14 (1962). I have no idea why I did so.
I was already putting coins in Whitman holders then. Maybe they were doubles. I couldn't afford quarters so I was limited to dimes as my highest denomination. Anyway I forgot all about the envelope only to find it in a book 5 years ago. There were about 2 dollars worth in the envelope (pennies, nickels and dimes). There were 2 "good ones": a 1937-D 3 legged nickel (EF40 PCGS) and a 1939-D (AU55 PCGS).

Not a lottery ticket but still something to smile about.

cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
- Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
- Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
Morgan Dollars Proof
- Basic Set - Varieties
Peace Circ.

Date Posted: Feb/11/2007 5:41 PM

WOW!!
What great stories these all are!! Thanks to everyone for sharing.

jonathanb....Thanks for your input and making the list. You really helped this thread out.

Please keep the stories coming.

Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 1:01 PM
Posted By: Nysoto (Expert Collector)

As a seven year old in 1963, I nearly filled a Lincoln cent Whitman album from circulation. A neighbor owned the corner store, he let me go through the change and traded for face value. I still have the set, some are worth $10 or more. The sentimental value is much higher.

A 100,000% (1000x) gain on some coins!

Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 5:07 PM
Posted By: jmski52 (Choose Your Title)

1993-P Proof, Bought from the Mint in 1993 for $23. Certified in 2007. PCGS Pop of 16, Current PCGS Price Guide $5,250.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 9:21 PM
Posted By: garsmith (Master Collector)

The biggest home-run would have to be when I got out-bid on a #1 population coin, than two weeks later got the second coin to get the grade at 1/2 the price

The woman I married July 3rd, 2006 (Civil)
And married again January 4th, 2007 (Church)

My registry sets

Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 9:45 PM
Posted By: PrivateCoinCollector (Collector)

<< Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic. It's a big part of the reason why I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with, and jaded about, the hobby. >>

Wow, sorry to hear that. Can I have your coins?

• Morgan Herd
  • TO Gold Mine

• Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 9:48 PM
    Posted By: Tootawl (Slender, Tender, & Tawl)

Scoring a PR70 on a 2006 SAE Reverse Proof, getting the 20th Anniversary First Strike lebals, and selling it for $3,500.

- Too Tawl -
    thru
    thru

Date Posted: Feb/12/2007 9:56 PM
    Posted By: neocirrhitus (Senior Member)

Buying an 1854 type II gold dollar in an old PCGS VF35 'rattler' for $225 at a small local coin show. Sent it back in to PCGS and what do you know, it turned into an AU55. Had to sell it because every time I looked it, I wondered how exactly a coin can improve by 20 points doing nothing but sitting in a holder for years ??????

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 5:34 PM
    Posted By: mcmxi (Veteran)

I found an unattributed 1888/7 IHC had it graded G6 and sold it for $2600.

If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 5:52 PM
    Posted By: sfs2002usa (Veteran)

Think Modern Commem: Jackie Robinson $5 Uncirculated - Wow!!!

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 6:05 PM
    Posted By: Mercfan (Veteran)

My lovely and dear wife of 33-plus years would say that it's the MANY coins I've wanted to purchase--but didn't.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 6:14 PM
    Posted By: Shortgapbob (Collector)

This was a great thread the first time around, so I will keep it going this time.

I was searching through a dealer's items, mostly old post cards, at an antique store. The individual also had a box of about 30 mostly low grade Large Cents that he wanted $75 each for. I wouldn't have paid $20 each for the majority of the coins. However, at the bottom, I noticed a nice, brown coin with a good planchet. Turns out that it was a 1798 Large Cent with VF details, great brown color, and no major problems. The coin now resides in a VF-20 holder, although I have thought about freeing it from the holder lately.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 6:33 PM

when I was about 12 years old my dad used to cut coins and make jewelry.

I used to search the coins in the red book, I found a 1889s morgan.

my dad took it back and returned it.

I did not search his coins any more. ARG

Randy C. Conway

EVEN ON EBAY !!

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 6:38 PM
    Posted By: drddm (Expert Collector)

Bought a BRAND NEW Deluxe Leather Bound copy of the book by Q. David Bowers:

A California Gold Rush History

for $150 and an identical copy just sold at the Stacks May 22, 2007 auction for........$5980.

07/16/2007 18:46:01|U

Date Posted: Jul/16/2007 7:25 PM
    Posted By: derryb (Metalnut)

Living in Jacksonville, FL, I searched over 25 cases of Washington dollars. Built a nice 65+ collection of early comms with the profits on over 300 smooth edge dollars. And they only cost me a dollar each!

Modern gold on the BST “just as you never really know who has been swimming naked until after the tide goes out, you will never be able to identify all the mal-investments until after the monetary stimulus comes to an end.” - Steve Saville

07/16/2007 19:31:11|U

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 9:29 AM

ttt

Randy C. Conway

EVEN ON EBAY !!

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 9:45 AM
    Posted By: speety (Master Collector)

I bought an 1836 CBH off ebay for $75 ($60 after a paypal coupon ) on a hunch. When the coin came in, it was exactly what i thought, an O-121 R-5+. It is currently in a PCGS VF-25 slab and attributed as an O-121.

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 9:52 AM
    Posted By: notwilight (Choose Your Title)

1794 half in F12 I bought at full retail in the mid 90s.

My eBay Storee

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 10:04 AM
    Posted By: Mowgli (Collector)

I bought a bunch XF 40 coins that are now AU 50s

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 10:10 AM
    Posted By: Baley (Choose Your Title)

Bought this as an unattributed ANACS F-12

It's now recognized as an R8 variety, with a previously undescribed obverse die (married to the previously known Rev. B)

the first of 3 now known to exist, and probably the very last draped bust half marriage before Reich's turban head took over in mid-1807

Paid $230... the value now is somewhere in five figure range

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

07/17/2007 10:42:17|U

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 10:12 AM

I was able to pay my listing fees and break even with a couple of Frankies on eBay

02/01/2008 11:17:36|U

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 10:15 AM
    Posted By: GMan (Veteran)

I bought a crusty old Buffalo Nickel folder full of corroded buffs for $0.10 each. After I looked at it a bit I happened to notice a 1937-D 3 legger hole was full. I thought it was just a misplaced coin, but I was wrong. After multiple acetone and MS-70 restorations, I got the corrosion down to 2 spots on the rim. The obv and reverse were both nice XF-40 or so. Couldn't get the corrosion off the rim so I just sold it for $700 7000% isn't bad LOL. Then there is the 1942-D 2/1 Mercs I found. Bought a $100 face of mercs for 6x, searched them and found two 42-D overdates. One was a problem coin and I sold it raw for $375, the other sits in my safe in a PCGS VF-30 holder.

Course there is the 1926 2 1/2 gold Sesqui I bought for $175 and it sits now in a PCGS MS-64 holder.

Date Posted: Jul/17/2007 4:44 PM
    Posted By: joecopper (Collector)

1916 SLQ - bought 1875 sold 10K

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 7:36 AM
    Posted By: Colorfulcoins (Expert Collector)

$125 PCGS MS67 Roosevelt dime bought from Board member Rainbowroosie, submitted to PCGS for regrade, came back MS68FB and sold thereafter for $7500.

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 7:57 AM
    Posted By: originalisbest (Master Collector)

Nice one joecopper!

My best find was a nice fine '32-D Washington in a bag of junk silver. Paid 4x face at the time for it, it's in one of my quarter albums now.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 8:35 AM
    Posted By: GritsMan (Expert Collector)

I don't know if any of these count, because I haven't sold any of them...

* 1885-CC GSA for $15 in the original sale. I'm guessing it's a 64 or 65.
    * Smithsonian $5 gold for orig issue price
    * 1991 1/2-oz gold eagle for about $240

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:46 AM
    Posted By: homerunhall (Expert Collector)

On a one coin basis, at the 1977 ANA (I think it was 1977) in Houston, the Bowers & Ruddy ANA auction had a 1921 Peace dollar cataloged as "MS-60, sharply struck, cleaned." As I looked at this coin I thought it wasn't cleaned, but was actually what was called a "Satin Proof" at the time, a very rare and desireable coin. But I thought, surely most of the guys looking at this coin will think see this coin for what it is...after all, this is the ANA auction and everyone is here. I keep the information to myself. Later, John Dannreuther came up to me and said, "Uh...Uh...did you look at at the silver dollars in the auction?" And I tried to be coy and stammered, "Uh...Uh...Yeah." And he looked at me and said, "So you saw it?" Again trying to be coy I said, "Saw what?" JD laid his his cards on the table (we we're then as now good friends) and said, "The Peace dollar." I fessed up and said, "Yeah, the 1921." So we decided to joint venture the coin, certain we would have to pay several thousand dollars for it. Miraculously, we bought the coin for $260. The next day we had Walter Breen write a letter confirming its Satin proof status and we immediately sold the coin for $6500 to Fred Sweeney and Bruce Amspacher. And another sweet part of the deal...the under bidder at the auction at $250 was wheeler dealer extradinaire Kevin Lipton. If we had known about the Titanic movie at the time we could have said, "We picked off the world!"

In the numismatic marketplace, the best deal I ever did was a little over 20 years ago I had this idea to have a few of the best and most respected dealers independently certify the grades of coins and then have a group of repsected dealers make sight-unseen bids on the coins. The grading group became PCGS and the market-makers became what is now CCE (Certified Coin Exchange.) That idea seems to have turned out ok so far.

If you want to hear about the worst deals...I'll be at the Set Registry luncheon at the FUN show in January. Somebody ask me to tell a few personal horror stories.

David

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:49 AM
    Posted By: Longacre (Socratic Methodist)

<< On a one coin basis, at the 1977 ANA (I think it was 1977) in Houston, the Bowers & Ruddy ANA auction had a 1921 Peace dollar cataloged as "MS-60, sharply struck, cleaned." As I looked at this coin I thought it wasn't cleaned, but was actually what was called a "Satin Proof" at the time, a very rare and desireable coin. But I thought, surely most of the guys looking at this coin will think see this coin for what it is...after all, this is the ANA auction and everyone is here. I keep the information to myself. Later, John Dannreuther came up to me and said, "Uh...Uh...did you look at at the silver dollars in the auction?" And I tried to be coy and stammered, "Uh...Uh...Yeah." And he looked at me and said, "So you saw it?" Again trying to be coy I said, "Saw what?" JD laid his his cards on the table (we we're then as now good friends) and said, "The Peace dollar." I fessed up and said, "Yeah, the 1921." So we decided to joint venture the coin, certain we would have to pay several thousand dollars for it. Miraculously, we bought the coin for $260. The next day we had Walter Breen write a letter confirming its Satin proof status and we immediately sold the coin for $6500 to Fred Sweeney and Bruce Amspacher. And another sweet part of the deal...the under bidder at the auction at $250 was wheeler dealer extradinaire Kevin Lipton. If we had known about the Titanic movie at the time we could have said, "We picked off the world!"

In the numismatic marketplace, the best deal I ever did was a little over 20 years ago I had this idea to have a few of the best and most respected dealers independently certify the grades of coins and then have a group of repsected dealers make sight-unseen bids on the coins. The grading group became PCGS and the market-makers became what is now CCE (Certified Coin Exchange.) That idea seems to have turned out ok so far.

If you want to hear about the worst deals...I'll be at the Set Registry luncheon at the FUN show in January. Somebody ask me to tell a few personal horror stories.

David
    >>

Interesting story. Thanks for posting. The most I made was $1250, and it came from luck, not skill (the Trends price on a coin I bought changed a few weeks after I bought it).

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:52 AM
    Posted By: mgoodm3 (Got brown?)

Best I've done was buying a 1863 indian cent as a "MS60" for $85. I got it into a PCGS MS64 slab. Haven't sold it yet.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:54 AM
    Posted By: Pistareen (Collector)

The 1978 ANA was in Houston.

I remember it clearly. I was almost 1.

I've heard this story from JD and he also revels in it! Thanks for posting DH.

John Kraljevich Americana
    Betts medals, colonial coins, US Mint medals, foreign coins found in early America, and other numismatic Americana

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:58 AM

I will tell you my story after I get all my Jefferson spouses bought, graded and sold. LOL

It's hard to be a sardine in a shark tank. LOL

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:01 AM
    Posted By: stckplunge (Senior Member)

Bought (57) 2006 silver eagle anniversary sets and sold all but 2 perfect sets. In one box of 10 sets I received (7) MS70s and (9) reverse proof PF70s. Funny thing is, I only received (4) regular proof PF70s.

Currently I am at the plate with (80) spouse coins and I am swinging away!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:17 AM
    Posted By: MJPHELAN (Veteran)

"A couple of years ago I won a ICG AU58 09-S VDB on eBay. My jaw dropped when I got it,
    cracked it out and sent it in, came back PCGS 63RB."

I too bought an ICG AU58 09-S VDB. It is now in a PCGS 63 Brown holder.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:23 AM
    Posted By: SeaEagleCoins (Expert Collector)

...saw a 37-D 3 legger on ebay a few years ago...it was being offered by a Dealer w/ a B&M somewhere in Wash. State as a VF...I could see by the pics that it was at least an EF for sure...

I placed a strong bid and no one else ever bid on it...I won it for less than VF Bid...

It showed up... not only was it authentic...when I sent it in to NGC...it came back AU-55...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:24 AM
    Posted By: 57loaded (Master Collector)

<< The biggest home-run would have to be when I got out-bid on a #1 population coin, than two weeks later got the second coin to get the grade at 1/2 the price >>

now that's an inside the park home run!!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:24 AM

<< Upgraded an MS62 PCGS 1901-P Morgan to MS63. >>

Similar thing with me. I had a "scratched" 1901 P with Unc details, got it in a MS61 holder.

Yankee Coins, Inc.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:30 AM

<< Bought (57) 2006 silver eagle anniversary sets and sold all but 2 perfect sets. In one box of 10 sets I received (7) MS70s and (9) reverse proof PF70s. Funny thing is, I only received (4) regular proof PF70s.

>>

SGS on the 2006? j/k

I bought 30 and have one of two (so far) 2006-W UNC PCGS MS70's FWIW I haven't a clue.

Spouses...I don't have that much influence over my "extended" family and my employees you can count on one hand...lol

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:10 AM
    Posted By: 19Lyds (Master IKE Collector)

I bought a 1971-D Eisenhower Dollar for around $1.25 and recently sold it for $78 raw.

"Ladies….If a Man says he will fix it, he will! There’s no need to remind him every 6 months about it. " My eBay Listings.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:30 AM
    Posted By: tightbudget (Master Collector)

I'd say it'd have to be the time when I got a BU box of 1999 cents from the bank a few years ago. Found about 3 rolls worth of Wide AMs and sold them all...made a good chunk of money from that.

Second place would be a 1972 DDO that I also pulled from the bank. It's now in a PCGS 63RD holder.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:44 AM
    Posted By: ANACONDA (Master Collector)

Back in the mid eighties I bought a raw Morgan for $75 and it came back a PCGS MS 66. Sold it in Long Beach for, as memory serves me, for over $1,000.

Coming soon.........(don't bother clicking on it yet)......IncredibleCoins.com

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:48 AM
    Posted By: ModernDollarNut (Veteran)

Walked into an East Coast B&M, was treated very rudly inspite of having set up an appointment to look at their Ikes.

To make a long story short, was about to put a fist through the glass-top coin display case I was standing behind (at least I really, really wanted to, and this is very rare for this placid 66 yo) when I saw three Goodacre Presentation Sacs in ICG holders.

Something told me to ask to see them.

The clerk literally tossed them on the glass at me, distainfully.

Two were 67, one 65 IMHO (ICG refused to grade these "polished" coins" when they got all 5,000 of them to holder! Market value then was $600-750 each).

I asked how much. After a long trip to the secret bowels of the store "to ask my boss", he came back, threw them down again, and said "fortyseven eighty".

I thought that more than a bit high so asked him to please tell me again.

Almost shouting, he angrily said, they will be "$47 and 80 cents".

I was so PO'ed, I paid without comment and drove away..... Rob

Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 12:04 PM
    Posted By: COINB0Y (Expert Collector)

Oh my, all this profit just hurts my eyes!

Damn you, Flippers!

"Find out what it is in Life that you don't do well ....and then...don't do that thing."

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 12:22 PM
    Posted By: DIMEMAN (Master Collector)

Back in the 80's I bought a 1924-S dime in au58 raw through a mail auction in the east sight unseen. Got the coin and thought is was REAL nice for au. Took it to a local dealer and he thought it looked unc. I put it in my box at the bank where it stayed for about 15 years. When I was putting my first Merc set together I sent it in to PCGS............came back MS65FB! At that time there were none higher! I sold it to a dealer for 11K and bought a 64FB for 2500 and spent the rest on other dimes I needed. Oh, I paid 50 bucks for the coin in the auction.

My Complete Dime's

All Dimes All Varieties

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 12:41 PM
    Posted By: BobGreene (Collector)

My biggest financial gain is probably my Hudson and Hawaiian halves which have doubled in value since I purchased them, which wasn't all that very long ago.

07/18/2007 12:42:36|U

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 12:47 PM
    Posted By: CoinMaster1229 (Collector)

I Bought 9 CVC Gold $5.00 Commemeratives from the mint. $190.00 Each, Sold 3 recently for $ 1,400.00 each. still have 6 remaining.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 1:05 PM
    Posted By: Regulated (Collector)

Bot a pretty UNC 1810 Half Eagle for about $7,500 a couple years ago. It was the rare Small Date/Small 5 variety and graded PCGS MS61 (tied finest with one NGC coin). Sold it for a six figure profit.

I can't talk about others...

David J. McCarthy

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 1:33 PM
    Posted By: Wavysteps2003 (New Member)

Don't know if this does count or not.

In 2004 my wife gave me a handfull of change from Wal-mart. In that change was a 2004 Lincoln cent with an obverse and reverse doubled die. After all the commotion of finding it was complete, I had it graded and slabbed as a discovery piece and sold it on Ebay for a bit over $900.00.

BJ Neff

BJ Neff

Member of: CONECA, Coppercoins, CFCC, FUN and NCADD. Retired Submariner Service, 21 years.

The opinions that I express do not necessarily reflect those of the organizations that I am a member of.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 3:49 PM

found over 11,000 george washington smoothies in march of 2007..........!

we were very,very lucky!.....here's a pic of some while we were getting them together.........

coins on ebay

07/18/2007 16:18:42|U

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 4:09 PM
    Posted By: BN (Senior Member)

Does inheriting a collection.. then spending two years and then some figuring out what you've got count?

1916D Merc, 1921D Merc, 1889 CC Morgan, 1914D Linc, 1886 v2 Indian cent .. and many other gems and undiscovered gems

---------------------------------------------
    Web Application Architect - ColdFusion, AJAX, CSS, XHTML, JavaScript, Oracle, MySQL

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 5:09 PM

<< found over 11,000 george washington smoothies in march of 2007..........!

we were very,very lucky!.....here's a pic of some while we were getting them together.........

>>

You just went from suck to blow. LOL

Congrats.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 5:55 PM
    Posted By: TexasNationals (Expert Collector)

Let's see, purchased a BU roll of 1949-D Jeffersons, 16 ended up being 1949 D/S, 3 in MS-66, 7 in MS-65, 6 in MS-64, made 10k on a $104 roll. Also pulled a 1936-D 3 1/2 leg out of a junk box, cost 50c graded F-15 at PCGS.

Piecesofme is a, has no honor, doesn't follow through on commitments, tough guy behind the keyboard guy all because he can't read 3 lines. Deal with him at your own risk!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 6:08 PM
    Posted By: DennisH (VAM Values Nerd)

found over 11,000 george washington smoothies in march of 2007..........!

Let's see... at even just one YOU SUCK! per roll, that's... well, A WHOLE FREAKING BOATLOAD of 'em!!!

Wow.

When in doubt, don't.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 6:09 PM
    Posted By: coindeuce (Choose Your Title)

3 years ago I discovered an unattributed ultra rare Morgan Dollar VAM in a Heritage sale. The PCGS MS-64 DMPL 1878 8TF VAM 14.18 was at the time the finest known by at least 6 grade points(and it still is). I placed a pre-floor sale max bid about 7 days before the floor sale, and decided to sweat it out. I made arrangements to have phone bidding privileges before the floor sale. On the day of the floor session, I was working(driving), with the cell phone in hand. I received the obligatory call from the Heritage phone rep., and listening intently to the auctioneer call the lot, I cringed as the bids kept climbing to near my proxy bid. Lo and behold the bidding from an internet competitor reached the increment below my max. bid, and then a long pause from the auctioneer... I began screaming at the auctioneer through the phone "END THE LOT! END THE LOT! The phone rep chuckled at my pleas, and then it was over. Winning the lot, I knew that I had secured an ultra rarity at about 15% of it's true value...

" Moose-aliciousness transcends all. The quantification of virtue fails at times."
    -ColonelJessup, 06/09/13.
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 6:45 PM

holeinone1972

thanks, at the time i wanted to tell everybody on the planet, but business wise i could'nt, i have been waiting for the right time(most of them are long gone now) to say something in a low key kinda way,and this thread was it,the YOU SUCK i got on 3/27/07 was for this....pic..........which was in the hoard...........i hope with the help of a dear friend who is a highly respected board member here to tell the storey of my find,and to publicly salute that member for his help,insight ,opinions, all the while protecting my privacy,i doubt in the same cicumstances that i could have done it,he is a man of his word,and i'll add that when i approached this gentlemen (who i had not and still have not met in person,) thru a pm on the forum to get his opinion on what and/or how i should handle this windfall,and offered to pay for his advice because this was out of my realm, his answer was...something like...my opinions and or knowlege are free i'm a collector ....what can i help you with.............these were not the exact words but..........this is the kind of person that makes this board what it is....great!

coins on ebay

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 7:17 PM

<< holeinone1972

thanks, at the time i wanted to tell everybody on the planet, but business wise i could'nt, i have been waiting for the right time(most of them are long gone now) to say something in a low key kinda way,and this thread was it,the YOU SUCK i got on 3/27/07 was for this....pic..........which was in the hoard...........i hope with the help of a dear friend who is a highly respected board member here to tell the storey of my find,and to publicly salute that member for his help,insight ,opinions, all the while protecting my privacy,i doubt in the same cicumstances that i could have done it,he is a man of his word,and i'll add that when i approached this gentlemen (who i had not and still have not met in person,) thru a pm on the forum to get his opinion on what and/or how i should handle this windfall,and offered to pay for his advice because this was out of my realm, his answer was...something like...my opinions and or knowlege are free i'm a collector ....what can i help you with.............these were not the exact words but..........this is the kind of person that makes this board what it is....great!

>>

that is a very YOU SUCK coin!
    for once it "paid" to live in Florida...

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 7:26 PM
    Posted By: LincolnCentMan (Master Collector)

I bought 5 raw toned merc dimes for $265. They slabbed at PCGS as MS67, MS67FB, MS67FB, MS67FB, MS68FB. I sold a MS67, MS67FB, and MS68FB for five grand. Since then, I know the 67FB was upgraded to a 68FB. I still have the residual two coins.

-David

Ebay Auctions
    The Key to Collecting

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 8:43 PM
    Posted By: docg (Veteran)

Bought a 1964d PCGS MS66 Washington quarter on ebay for $20.00. Cracked it out, re-submitted to PCGS. Came back MS67.

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 8:56 PM

<< holeinone1972

>>

Man... I'm not sure if that haul makes me want to retire the You Suck award permanently or name it in your honor.

I distinctly remember when the GW smoothies first came to light, Fred Weinberg talking here about a hoard of more than 10,000 pieces in Florida. I'm amazed not only to learn that it was a Forum member who had hit that jackpot, but that you had the self control to keep such a find to yourself. Congrats to you on all fronts.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 8:59 PM
    Posted By: SilverEagles92 (Master Collector)

I bought an almost complete Peace Dollar set, minus the 1928-P, for about $250. Sold again a few months later for $750.

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 9:49 PM
    Posted By: coinsarefun (Choose Your Title)

<< found over 11,000 george washington smoothies in march of 2007..........!

WOW, that is awsome.
    I was going to say I bought a 1944 year set in an old cardboard holder for $150 and after grading the set is worth over $3,000 plus whatever additional value for toning. But, Oh well........
    Seriously, that is one great story you will be able to tell for the rest of your life. Congrat's

CoinsAreFun PCGS Toned Type Set

CoinsAreFun's Token Collection

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 10:48 PM
    Posted By: cupronik (Veteran)

Bought a raw superb gem 1935-S Lincoln Cent for $110. PCGS slabbed it MS-67RD! I consigned it to
    a Heritage signature sale and (about 45 days after the auction) I received a check from Heritage for
    $16,000!!

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:12 PM
    Posted By: wondercoin (Patterns to Plats, MS to Mattes)

Bought a Washington quarter in a major sale for less than $100. Upgraded it and it resold for well over $10,000 a few months later at auction, and also bought a Franklin Half Dollar in an NGC holder out of a Heritage sale for under $1,000. Got it into a PCGS holder where it resold for more than $25,000 a few months later.

But, they go both ways - I spend $4,600 once on a $200 "shot upgrade" coin and until it upgrades it will remains a $200 coin (and a $4,400 loss).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

07/18/2007 23:13:41|U

Date Posted: Jul/18/2007 11:47 PM
    Posted By: Deadhorse (Expert Collector)

Several years ago, when silver was bouncing around the $6+ level, it took what I decided was an unnatural dive back into the mid $4.50 range.

I decided to make a risky play and refinanced my newly paid off mortgage, borrowed some more and sold some coins and managed to put together around 65,000 ounces at a cost averaged price of right at $4.60 per ounce.

About 8 months later I sold the lot at $8.10 an ounce. Yes, I paid the taxes on it, paid off the mortgage(again), invested in a fair amount of gold bullion coins at around $350 an ounce and still have them. The only thing I splurged on was 2 year old 911 Carerra in mint condition, I still have it as well.

And yes, I continued to buy silver on the dips and still do put melt and .999 away along with the few coins series I collect.

I've had some nice hits on coins as well, though compared to the stories here, I wouldn't call them home runs, just solid hits. Of course I've also lost on several over the years, just like we all have. But nothing comes close to that silver play. Some of the vets around here may remember it. I took a lot of heat from a few, some were downright nasty about it. Never did get a "you suck" for it, but that's OK, it wasn't purely numismatic.

I did once purchase an XF '89 CC Morgan in a lot from a Canadian antique dealer, $6.50 each on a lot of 150 Morgans he found in a chest he had bought. That was a pretty nice surprise and it more than paid for the entire lot.

It's nice to read about the good stories, as we've all had and heard about the bad ones too many times.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Date Posted: Jul/19/2007 12:04 AM
    Posted By: Wolf359 (Choose Your Title)

<< 3 years ago I discovered an unattributed ultra rare Morgan Dollar VAM in a Heritage sale. The PCGS MS-64 DMPL 1878 8TF VAM 14.18 was at the time the finest known by at least 6 grade points(and it still is). I placed a pre-floor sale max bid about 7 days before the floor sale, and decided to sweat it out. I made arrangements to have phone bidding privileges before the floor sale. On the day of the floor session, I was working(driving), with the cell phone in hand. I received the obligatory call from the Heritage phone rep., and listening intently to the auctioneer call the lot, I cringed as the bids kept climbing to near my proxy bid. Lo and behold the bidding from an internet competitor reached the increment below my max. bid, and then a long pause from the auctioneer... I began screaming at the auctioneer through the phone "END THE LOT! END THE LOT! The phone rep chuckled at my pleas, and then it was over. Winning the lot, I knew that I had secured an ultra rarity at about 15% of it's true value... >>

Ahhh ha! I'd seen it as well, and wondered who bought it and if the owner knew the vam.

I'd even mentioned it on the VAMWorld page I built:
    The finest known is a PCGS MS64DMPL, which sold in a Heritage auction in 2004.

WebSite, Morgan Dollars

eBay sales

07/19/2007 00:18:36|U

Date Posted: Jul/19/2007 3:08 AM
    Posted By: Hugegut (Veteran)

I've had several awesome items:

Saddam Notes - I bought several thousand full sets of Iraqi currency with Saddam on them from a dealer in the Middle East for about 5 cents per note. This was shortly before 9-11. When we invaded there was the frenzy for Saddam notes and I sold hundreds of them for $40 - per note! 800 times what I paid. Probably sold a thousand at $20+ per note.

2003 $2 star note folders - Bought in bulk for $8.95 each. Sold several with fancy serial numbers for $500 each. A bunch went for $100+, probably a couple hundred for $50+.
    1995 $2 star note folders - Bought in bulk for $6.95 each. Sold several fancy numbers for $200+, the rest all went for $40 to $70 each.

1999 State Quarter bags - Bought for about $30 each. Got $800+ for De bags, $250-$350+ for PA and NJ bags. Sold a ton of these.

2006 Silver/Gold Anniversary sets, W platinums - No need to explain these!

2003 $2 Premium Federal reserve Sets - Cost $475 in bulk. Sold one for $2,500 (low serial number). Parted the rest out at $50 to $70/note.

Date Posted: Jul/19/2007 4:59 AM
    Posted By: BigMoose (Collector)

Around 5 years ago I bought a complete collection of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents housed in an old Wayte Raymond board through a local dealer. Paid $19,500.00 for the collection. In the 1873 slot was the Doubled Die, the good one, in full red. It graded PCGS 64 Red and remains the only full red 1873 doubled die known. Sold it for a strong mid five figure price a few weeks later and it helped finance two gem Unc. 1794 Large Cents for my collection. The remainder of the coins in the collection were not too shabby either--the 08s and 09s each went 65 red, the 1879 went 66 red, the 1872 66RB, and the 1858 sm. letter Flyer went 65. Best purchase I have ever made and unlikely ever to be repeated or equalled in my lifetime.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

Date Posted: Jul/19/2007 5:21 AM

I'm just getting base hits and steals.

02/01/2008 12:38:28|U

Date Posted: Jul/24/2007 4:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for sharing their numismatic stories. It really makes this thread an interesting read!

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 4:44 PM

It's been almost a year. Anymore Cha....Ching stories?

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 4:49 PM
    Posted By: Gandyjai (Collector)

The only 76-S Silver MS69 Kennedy ever made.....It had been sitting on my
    dresser for 2 years while I sold them off on eBay for around $5 each. I had put
    a couple aside only because they didn't have and nicks that I could see.

I had cut up some Bicentennial Silver sets shooting for an MS68 Ike and had some
    extra Halves and Quarters laying around and selling them off on eBay.

Brian

I Love Variety & Error Ikes!

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 4:56 PM
    Posted By: tradedollarnut (been there - done that)

<< I bought the Olsen specimen of the 1913 Liberty nickel. A year later, somebody wanted it and made a strong offer. >>

And I used the proceeds of this sale to later buy the Eliasberg specimen of the 1913 nickel. Two years later somebody wanted it and paid my asking price.

Trade Dollar Website Gobrecht, Seated, Trade Dollar Q&A

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 4:59 PM
    Posted By: kiyote (Expert Collector)

Ehh, Saintguru has the best story, I think. I feel ill with jealousy thinking about it!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 5:20 PM
    Posted By: BECOKA (Choose Your Title)

Most I have ever made on a coin is around $300. It was not a flip either.

Nice to see some here can do much better.

I am pretty good at losing $500+ on some coins.

My PCGS Showcase of Classic Head Half Eagle Varieties

Articles and How To's, I take requests too.

01/31/2008 17:22:06|U

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 5:22 PM
    Posted By: ILikeMercs (Expert Collector)

all the gold I bought at $450.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 5:30 PM
    Posted By: Goldbully (Choose Your Title)

<< Sorry I am a rookie.

Bought a 2006 w plat for $1300 slabbed a ms70 value now at $4k yeah wish I would have bought 10
    >>

Me too!!!

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 5:30 PM
    Posted By: jgrinz (Collector)

Bought My Avatar coin from a dealer and had it recertified as a CAMEO ...
    Still have it

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 5:48 PM
    Posted By: droopyd (Master Collector)

from a percentage standpoint....

bought a 70s small date cent for face value along with the rest of a mint set that someone pulled the 70d half from, but no one knew about the small date until later in the year -- i'd say it's about a 6500% return on cost.

also got a 31s cent in au55 in change (from a coin shop, no less!) -- that one's at least 10000% return on cost!

needless to say i have nothing else that comes close!

Me at the Springfield coin show:

50 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 6:05 PM
    Posted By: Windycity (Expert Collector)

Bought a raw 1936 Buffalo for $40... which graded Proof 65 - sold it for $1400 (1981)

Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 6:22 PM
    Posted By: Stooge (Expert Collector)

I was looking for a 1971-S PR69DCAM Roosevelt Dime for well over 2.5 years, simply because back in the day a friend of mine bought one for $100 and said I would never find one that cheap. They sell for about $200-$250.

Well Heritage was having a lot sale and was selling the '71-S with a run of dates from 1968-1975 all 69DC. I put in a bid for $300 and was watching and it closed at $240, well below my bid. It then had to go to floor, of which no-one bid, so I won it at $240 w/juice.

I up-graded the 69CAM to the 69DC and cherry picked the others. I ended up replacing 1, I believe the 1975, and sold the rest on eBay for >$600!

So, I basically got paid $360 to add a $250 coin to my set for free!

Also recently I bought a 1967 MS68 Roosie on TT for $369.00 delivered and up-graded it to 8FB which is now a pop (2/0) and worth $2,250.00. Still in my set.

Later, Paul.

Positive transactions with: AllCoinsRule, bighurt2000, Boopotts, bubblebathgirl, Dan50, RushHead2112, TmbrWolf22, Thedutymon, Onlyroosies, Wondercoin

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 6:28 PM
    Posted By: cmerlo1 (Master Collector)

1913-S Type 1 Buffalo Nickel, 2 feathers, no F. Bought at the Money Show in Houston in Jan. of 2007 for $90

Submitted to ANACS for $26

Sold on eBay for $1500+!!!

President, Capital City Coin Club- Austin, TX. You Suck! Awarded 3/2007- 1913-S Ty1. Buffalo (2 Feathers, NoF), 1/2008- 1899-O Micro-O VAM-6, 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 7/2013- 1983 No-S Proof Set

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 6:36 PM

I doubt we will ever top the GW Smoothie find, The last real $$$$ maker we had was buying approx. 3000 GW First Day Covers from the Mint......still selling them for $35-45.00 each........

coins on ebay

01/31/2008 18:38:10|U

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 10:28 PM
    Posted By: oreville (Choose Your Title)

The biggest financial homerun?

Well this one was NOT the biggest but the best one!

One year, around 2001 or 2002, I won the "Stump the Experts" contest in which my question stumped not only homerunhall, but also David Q Bowers and the other panelists.

While i won only $25.00 in a PCGS "credit" on a purchase of a coin, it was my biggest financial thrill.

Imagine knowing something that stumped your numismatic idol?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 10:43 PM
    Posted By: mr1874 (Expert Collector)

"Very telling about the current state of the hobby when most of the home runs involve coins which suddenly became "worth" many times what was paid for them just by putting them in plastic."

i bought a 1905 dime out of a dealer's junk box at a show in the mid '80's.micro o very fine paid him $3.sold the coin last year for about $220.no plastic involved

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 11:45 PM
    Posted By: CoinMaster1229 (Collector)

The 2006 Gold & silver anniversary sets & 2006-W 4 coin Platinum sets. each doubled my money & more!!!! What a year

Date Posted: Jan/31/2008 11:55 PM
    Posted By: Kablemodem (Senior Member)

I've never sold a coin, but my best purchase has been my Jackie Robinson 4 coin set at pre-issue price. Others include my CVC, LOC, and Smithsonian $5 UNCs.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:52 AM
    Posted By: puritan9 (Collector)

Bought a 2006 Silver Eagle Anniversary set for $100, had it graded and sold it for $3300.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 3:53 AM
    Posted By: ksboy (Senior Member)

A few years ago the wife went to an auction for me and picked up some silver quarters....she paid 50 cents apiece for a handful....a few weeks later i went through the coins and found a 1932-d in EF may go AU....that has to be the best....for me i mean...

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 4:00 AM
    Posted By: CollectorMan (Senior Member)

Mine would have to be purchasing the 1995 W 10th annivesary gold and eagle set the year it came out. I paid, if my memory is correct, $999.00 for the set. I sent the set off to PCGS. All of the gold came back 69 deep cameo and the silver came back 68 deep cameo. And you know what the silver one is going far right now. Not bad, not bad at all.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 4:46 AM

<< I've never sold a coin, but my best purchase has been my Jackie Robinson 4 coin set at pre-issue price. Others include my CVC, LOC, and Smithsonian $5 UNCs. >>

I have also done well with the key date gold mint state modern commemoratives.

At a little over 10,000 mintage, I think there is still a lot of potenial with the mint state 2003 First in Flight 10$.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 5:25 AM
    Posted By: UtahCoin (Expert Collector)

Let's see....
    I did just buy those 20 rolls of 1944-1953 OBW rolls of Lincoln Cents at face. One I time I bought a roll of 1887 BU Morgan Dollars from John McIntosh that contained a bunch of 1887/6 over dates. There was the junk bag of silver Halves that was sealed in 1980 and contained a fair amount of Seated, Barber and Commemorative coins.

Oh, and then this old thing from an estate sale....

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5 for $260. And again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902 for $27!

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 5:40 AM

I buy all my coins on Coin Vault . I won't have a financial homerun until I'm seven- hundred, and eighty three years old.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 5:57 AM
    Posted By: YaHa (Expert Collector)

Easy pickens, bought the max 10 sets of 2006 bullion silver eagle 20th anniversary coins Paid $1,050 I think, had coupons at Pcgs and Ngc 8 sets came back all 70's first strikes and regular labels, long story short, I made just over $15,000 after it was said and done during the mad rush. My wife now "owns" a 2007 Chevy Equinox paid for!! Now was I a good hubby or what!!

My wife was lying next to me when I wrote this and gave me a huge hug, but she asked me does the Alantic City poker hit count?

About 10 years ago I was playing Carribean Stud Poker, yea it is a suckers game, but the kids and wifey sleep at night so I crawed out of bed and headed for the tables, well I was playing $5 hands of Stud, and a $1 progressive pot which was over $787,000 give or take a few bucks and you had to hit a Royal straight flush to win the whole pot.

But to my amazement the last hand after getting my nuts cracked all night, I Had in my 2 card hand K,J hearts
    the dealer flipped his cards and there was a Q and 9 of hearts on the board after flipping the first couple cards then came a 10 of hearts and my chest started to get tight because I was hoping the dealer would qualify, well he did and I Won 10% for having a STRAIGHT FLUSH!! of the jackpot and took home ust over $55,000 that night give or take a few dollars after paying taxes on the spot.

That money was used to buy our condo in Ocean City maryland that we still own. That has something to do with money right?

Locked!!!!

02/01/2008 06:17:12|U

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 7:43 AM
    Posted By: FullStepJeffs (Collector)

Bought 25 1999 proof SBA's at 8.95 each and sent them in for grading... 2 came back at PF70DCAM (when the pop was only 8 coins)... sold them both for $750... two days later, another sold on TT for over $2200.

And the rest are Jefferson nickels.

Many years ago, I bought a 53-S (or a 54-S) out of a dealers junk box for less than a $1... the coin WILL one day grade MS63FS, but currently sits in an old coin book toning.

Bought an 1950 PF67CAM in a holder from across the street for dirt money (like $180 - $200)... it crossed the first time and still sits in my collection.

Bought the first 1938 PF68 graded across the street for $600 (many years ago). After seeing most of the other PF68s, eventually, it will be in a PF69 holder.

Made a 74-P in MS66FS, a 70-S in MS64FS and MS66, and too many RPM/DDO/DDRs to list, all of which still reside in my hoard.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 7:44 AM
    Posted By: cyclonus11 (Member)

I have made no financial homeruns in numismatics.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 8:05 AM
    Posted By: jdillane (Collector)

Picked up a raw 1801 DBHE dollar on the bay for $3800 in 2004....seller promoted it as VF but despite the poor images, it seemed much better. PCGS slabbed it AU53. Sold on the bay for $8300 a couple months later. I would not have sold it but I used OPM to make the deal.

It's made the rounds since. I think Stack's sold it for ~ $12K a few months ago and last I saw it was in an ebay store for about the same price.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 8:07 AM
    Posted By: antonyfire (Member)

The first coin show I went to, a dealer gave my 5 year old son who was with me a free piece of candy.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 8:16 AM
    Posted By: Realone (Choose Your Title)

<< Let's see....
    I did just buy those 20 rolls of 1944-1953 OBW rolls of Lincoln Cents at face. One I time I bought a roll of 1887 BU Morgan Dollars from John McIntosh that contained a bunch of 1887/6 over dates. There was the junk bag of silver Halves that was sealed in 1980 and contained a fair amount of Seated, Barber and Commemorative coins.

>>

Just for my learning experience the 1793 is a counterfeit or cast of the real thing, correct?

'Never give in, never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy'.
    FYI: I only collect naturally toned coins with original surfaces and nothing else, trust me nothing else!
    OK with one exception!

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 8:21 AM

<<

<< Let's see....

>>

Just for my learning experience the 1793 is a counterfeit or cast of the real thing, correct?
    >>

Struck counterfeit. Cost me a whole $1

Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5 for $260. And again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902 for $27!

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 10:34 AM

<<

<<

<< Let's see....

>>

>>

>>

Was it a Gallery Mint repro? Was it stamped "COPY"? Nice looking counterfeit.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 11:10 AM
    Posted By: STONE (Keeper of the List)

I bought a 1802 lg cent for $400 and two months later sold it for $1000.

Master List of Websites

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 12:25 PM
    Posted By: Eagleguy (Collector)

I won an (NGC) AU55 1937-D 3-legged buffalo nickel on EBay for $540 - way less than the guy was hoping to sell it for. That was back in the days before sniping software and BIN of course.

I also bought a PCGS PR69 1995-W ASE (no milk spots) for $2250 just before the value spiked.

JH

Silver Commemorative registry set
    Capped Bust Quarter registry set
    Proof Buffalo registry set

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 12:52 PM
    Posted By: ElKevvo (Expert Collector)

Well it WAS my 20th Anniversary ASE's until they developed milk spots and then my home run hit drifted to the left of the foul line and that was that...back to the dugout! Boy was I excited when those were selling for several hundred percent over what I bought them from the Mint for! Oh well...if I squint when I look at them I cannot see the spots and I figure as I get older my vision is gonna go south and I won't have to squint anymore :^).

K

ANA LM and C4 Member

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 12:56 PM
    Posted By: WinPitcher (Choose Your Title)

Back in 86 I was able to buy 10 Statue of Liberty 3 pc sets. 5 proof and 5 uncs.

I think I turned 1200.00 into 5 or 6 grand.

Steve

Good for you.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:05 PM

<<

<<

<<

<< Let's see....

>>

>>

>>

Was it a Gallery Mint repro? Was it stamped "COPY"? Nice looking counterfeit.
    >>

Not stamped "COPY" in any way... But the reverse says something about the Fort Worth Coin club. It was red when I got it and I darkened it with a little sulfur in Vaseline. Something I read about years ago to darken a coin.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:09 PM
    Posted By: percyb (Expert Collector)

1986 $50 Gold Liberty.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:14 PM
    Posted By: Realone (Choose Your Title)

1858/7 Flying eagle cent snow-7 MS65pq NGC finest known, bought it unattributed at auction for $10k worth probably 5 times that to the right buyer.
    All original surfaces with light natural toning, very pq.

'Never give in, never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy'.
    FYI: I only collect naturally toned coins with original surfaces and nothing else, trust me nothing else!
    OK with one exception!

02/01/2008 13:29:30|U

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:17 PM
    Posted By: 13PacesEast (Collector)

i bought 3 boxes of cheerios.

one day i'll open the other two.

know what you don't know.

hi, i'm tom.

i do not doctor coins like some who post in here.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:18 PM
    Posted By: Tonedbuff (Collector)

I don't know if it was the best one I've had, but one that comes to mind is a roll of proof franklins I grabbed for $200 two years ago ($10 each). Expecting them to be low quality, I was surprised by how nice they looked. I sent in 6 for grading to NGC, and got back 4 PR67, and one CAM66 and one UCAM66!
    It felt like a home run, even though its not get rich kind of money!

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 1:52 PM
    Posted By: 39Special (Veteran)

My best score to date was buying a 1938 P Jefferson Nickel graded MS66 in a late 90's holder. Steps looked great with no nicks whatsoever, sent it in for designation review and it came back MS66FB. The price guide value has dropped since then, but at the time, the coin I paid $80 for was listed at $700. I still have that coin too and it's a beauty, looks darn near prooflike with its early die state.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 10:02 PM
    Posted By: koynekwest (Collector)

Several Matte Proof Buffalos bought as business strikes-a 1936 Satin-PCGS PR66 for $8 and a 1916 MP-now in a PCGS PR65 slab-for $100, for example; the same with a Lincoln or two. A 1918-S 8/7 SL 25c for $30. Many major doubled dies in the in all series; many abraded die varieties in the Buffalos and many undergraded coins both at shows and on ebay. (WARNING-NEVER buy any RAW coins on ebay!!!) Some very nice originally toned coins sold for a nice profit. Total at least in the high five figures-probably more. Still doin' it, too-and have been since 1962 or so. One I missed-an AU58 1916 DDO 1-O-V Buff I could have had for $300-would have paid off all my bills but I didn't bother to look closely enough.

I never would have been able to afford my complete set of Matte Proof Buffs without cherrypicking most of ' 'em.

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 10:16 PM
    Posted By: OnWithTheHunt (Senior Member)

Not sure if it's my biggest homerun, but I paid a whole $9 for this about 5 years ago

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Date Posted: Feb/01/2008 11:29 PM

OnWithTheHunt-

AU58? A very nice cherrypick! I cherried one-now PCGS AU58-for $1 6 or 7 years ago. I've cherried over 50 of these in VG-VF in the last 20 years-they are common in these grades, but XF or better they are VERY tough!

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 12:26 AM
    Posted By: Barberian (Veteran)

I didn't bother reading the thread. Why bother reading the few triumphs of honest people dispersed among the rips on the unsuspecting which is so commonplace in this hobby.

Please tell me, though, how many people here screwed over some widow and got 20 times what they paid her for?

How about 50 times what they paid her for?

Dirtbag coin dealers!

Sorry to be so negative, but that has been my experience with dealers. I remember a women in Chicago walking in to a major dealer with a complete collection of Mercury dimes and listening to the dealer offer her bullion value for the collection. I told the women she had $300 dollars in the 1916D alone (back in 1978) and got kicked out of the store for being honest with her! They also wouldn't allow me to purchase anything I found in their junk boxes (I always found something worth >10 times the box price). Fricking dirtbags!

3 rim nicks away from Good

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 12:39 AM

I delight in cherrypicking the "professionals"-those who, if they'd read a book once in a while, would rarely be cherrypicked. Sorta makes up for those "little old ladies" who get taken on the '16-D dimes etc.

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 3:15 AM
    Posted By: morgannut2 (Expert Collector)

Two 1894-P AU58 Morgans worth about $2000each but sold in 2 sealed rolls of common unc 1880s Morgans at Weischers Extate Auction in DC.

Next best a 1893s Morgan at 2001 BW Sale for $880, that PCGSed at VF25.
    The prices on "super-original crusty" VF 93s examples are through the roof these days,
    but this coin is a homerun because I DIDN'T sell (it just goes up and up).

morgannut2

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 3:33 AM
    Posted By: ahooka454 (Expert Collector)

<<didn't bother reading the thread. Why bother reading the few triumphs of honest people dispersed among the rips on the unsuspecting which is so commonplace in this hobby.

Please tell me, though, how many people here screwed over some widow and got 20 times what they paid her for?

How about 50 times what they paid her for?

Dirtbag coin dealers!

Sorry to be so negative, but that has been my experience with dealers. I remember a women in Chicago walking in to a major dealer with a complete collection of Mercury dimes and listening to the dealer offer her bullion value for the collection. I told the women she had $300 dollars in the 1916D alone (back in 1978) and got kicked out of the store for being honest with her! They also wouldn't allow me to purchase anything I found in their junk boxes (I always found something worth >10 times the box price). Fricking dirtbags! >>

I think there are some dealers out there that are like this yes. Not all. I would say for the mojority, every dealer here that Ive talked o, has been pretty decent. I wouldnt say dirtbags, maybe a few dishonest scumbags, yes. Even at shows, for the most part, if you go there with some understanding of where your about to put your money, you should be fine.
    It was funny, at the last Baltimore show I couldnt find anything early on to grab up. After about an hour or so, I ran across this dealer that had a friend with him and they were trying to dump this Rossie dime set. He said it had some pieces with light album toning so I gave it a glance. I used my 16x loupe and started checking some of the coins out. Most of them are 63-67, alot more full steps than I thought too. I also saw a few rpms, and what turned out to be a 49 d/s, 63+! I asked him what he wanted, this was after 5 minutes or so of him and his buddy trying to sell this set so hard. I figured he needed the cash for another purchase. He said $280. I said I wasnt really interested, and that I had some other things in mind. He said name a price and then I said $180. I figured he'd counter but he said sold. I just looked at him and thought wtf? I wasnt really there to buy it, but I was glad I did.

What makes this so funny is that at the last show and he was there, he had zero time or desire to even care if I wanted to buy something. He did too. Only reason I bought the nickle set was because I knew I could sell the one coin for more than the entire set. I did that day.

I guess the moral of the story is, just because there's afew less than perfect coin dealers, it doesnt and should make them all bad.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad @-- speed."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 3:41 AM

<< I delight in cherrypicking the "professionals"-those who, if they'd read a book once in a while, would rarely be cherrypicked. Sorta makes up for those "little old ladies" who get taken on the '16-D dimes etc. >>

I'll take them base hits. It's a fun game.
    Okay, I let it out. I feel better now.

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 4:13 AM
    Posted By: itsnotjustme (Choose Your Title)

I have a few....

Paid $18 for 11 Ikes, Scored an MS67 1976-P T2, and an MS66 as well. The 67 is now in Segoja's registry set.

[">For Sale

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
    Last Donation: Platelets, 26 Nov 08, at the Pentagon

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 4:24 AM
    Posted By: THEONLYTBONE (Master Collector)

The biggest score is when my Grandpa' gave me his entire collection.................Zero Bucks got me started in collecting Coins/Currency................

Peace and Prosper.............

Date Posted: Feb/02/2008 5:58 AM
    Posted By: cho10 (Senior Member)

I had not thought of this coin until I read the messages from other forum members.

1893-S PCGS VF20 bought raw in 1990 from Hal Blackburn of Killen, Al for $900. Worth 6 or 7 times as much now.

I am not selling :-)

cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
    Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
    - Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
    - Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
    Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.

02/02/2008 05:59:40|U

Date Posted: Aug/29/2008 2:04 PM
    Posted By: CoinRaritiesOnline (Expert Collector)

ttt

John Agre

Coin Rarities Online

Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 9:38 AM

Definitely my biggest was in buying this one raw for less than $10.

Purchase Price = $8.00?

Estimated Value = $25,000 - $35,000

"Ladies….If a Man says he will fix it, he will! There’s no need to remind him every 6 months about it. " My eBay Listings.

09/08/2008 18:18:56|U

Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 4:33 PM
    Posted By: LeeG (Colorful Lincolns Rock)

Won raw at the opening bid, now MS64:

Virginia troops crossing the Blue Ridge at daybreak,
    enroute for Manassas Junction, June 23, 1861.

Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 5:48 PM
    Posted By: coindudeonebay (Collector)

Made the following coin and a 59 nickel in PR67Cam that sold in the 300 range from a proof set bought off ebay for about 30 bux.
    1959 Half PR68Cam

And I bought a 66 SMS at a coinshow for about 10 bux and made a dime in 68 ucam.

Same show I made two dimes, 1967, one in 67 ucam and one in 68 ucam.
    Here's the 67 ucam.
    Here's the 68 ucam.

Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 6:15 PM
    Posted By: jessewvu (Expert Collector)

I guess I have a few good ones. Most recently, I bought one proof and one uncirculated 4 coin set of the 2008-W American Buffalo Gold coin fractionals from the mint, sent them in to PCGS, and all but 1 came back a 70!

I bought 22 2008 ASE's from the US Mint, got 22 08/07, sent them all in to PCGS and got two 08/07 MS70's.

Finally, I bought a Lewis and clark Coin and Pouch set from the US Mint for $120 and got a Peace Pipe Pouch, sold it for around $750

Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 6:59 PM

Bought an original unc roll of 1887 Morgan dollars for $240 (abt 1992). The roll contained 6 1887/6's. All graded PCGS MS63

Twice I have pulled a 1942/1 Mercury out of junk silver.

Pulled a 1916 D (AG3) Merc out of junk silver

1914 D Lincoln in VG out of a Wheat bag.

Bought a PCI AU58 20 cent piece, cracked it out, PCGS graded it MS62.

But the winner is a 1913 S Barber Quarter in Fine, that was in a bag of supposed junk Barber Quarters.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:00 PM

Great stories all!
    The whole John Nanney 08REV07 ASE coins has to be pretty high on the list for me.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:05 PM
    Posted By: RWB (Master Collector)

Traded the cat for a Jefferson nickel ! Got rid of the vermin and came out 5-cents ahead - a double win!

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:28 PM
    Posted By: OnlyGoldIsMoney (Expert Collector)

No home runs but perhaps first base on an error. 1972 DDO found sorting through cent rolls - now a PCGS MS61 RB.

Mark's Liberty Quarter Eagles - No End In Sight collection, Registry Set Liberty Head $2-1/2 Gold with major varieties

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:30 PM
    Posted By: Broadstruck (Errors, HTT's, SLQ's)

<< Traded the cat for a Jefferson nickel ! Got rid of the vermin and came out 5-cents ahead - a double win! >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:46 PM

<< Bought a group of four proof sets on eBay for $85. Two were 1964 sets with Accented Hair Kennedys. One graded PR65DCAM. The other graded PR68DCAM, and is the last one PCGS graded nearly four years ago.

Russ, NCNE
    >>

Still the last one PCGS has graded, now nearly six years ago.

Russ, NCNE

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 12:56 PM
    Posted By: Bcsican (Collector)

A 1950 PR 65 Cam Franklin, paid $25.00 sold it for $3000.00

BCSICAN

"Because I can"

myurl The Franklin All Old Green Holder Set

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 1:14 PM
    Posted By: MrMag (Senior Member)

I found an 1867 (probably AG3) Indian Head cent in the dealers IHC bin, and bought it for $1

I haven't sold it, as I would only be able to get probably 15-20$ for it, but hey, not bad for a 1$ purchase.

odd assortment of USmoneyfacts

01/30/2009 13:14:55|U

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 1:26 PM

Thanks to John Nanney we ended up with several hundred 2008 W ASE Rev. of 07's....

coins on ebay

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 1:28 PM
    Posted By: pf70collector (Master Collector)

You can add me to 07/08 reverse silver eagle. Bought 5 of these from the mint for $25.95. Jump in value of all 5 from $125 to close to $2200 in less than 6 months time.

Montana State Quarter Die Clash

Box of 20

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 1:37 PM

bought 56 2006 Silver anniversary eagle sets. During the height of hype I had one graded box come back from NGC with 19 out of 20 reverse proofs grade at PF70!!!

Jeff

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 1:53 PM
    Posted By: richardshipp (Master Collector)

Lets just say the 2006 Anniversary Silver Eagle sets were very very good to me. Especially the ones sold BEFORE the ones I wanted to keep spotted. Even after selling back to PCGS I did REAL well.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 4:27 PM
    Posted By: dogwood (Collector)

Looks like a few people got to play for a while on the House's Money.

I'm continuing to pack a Dansco full of choice Barber Quarters with proceeds from a short history of well executed Barber Half transactions, but I can't leave a paper trail on the specifics.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 4:32 PM
    Posted By: mrearlygold (Trouble Maker)

One of the biggest "short term" home runs was this one:

Years ago I bought a 1795 9 Leaf in MS-61 ( really nicer than that but that's what zee plastique' said ) and I knew I ripped it for 75G's from another dealer. Sold it to a customer of mine for 90 G's. ( profit percentage was off the charts for me ) He turned around and asked me to sell it at auction for him , less than a year later , actually less than 8 months later , where it realized:

You were the consignor on this lot. View MyConsignments
    Sold for: $184,000.00 (includes BP) Bid Source: Live: Floor
    Ended: Mar 19, 1998

Coin's for sale/trade.

Tom Pilitowski
    US Rare Coin Investments
    800-624-1870

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 4:56 PM
    Posted By: sfs2002usa (Veteran)

I'd have to say the Jackie Robinson Unc. I bought it primarily because of the
    love of the game. I also bought the .311 set and two proof and dollar sets.

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 5:11 PM
    Posted By: marmac (Collector)

not plunkin' down 35,000 on a 53-s fbl

Date Posted: Jan/30/2009 5:25 PM

I sold a large collection, piece by piece, from about 2004 to 2007. I sold it on a modest commission-------but I knew I was in for a treat when the first batch of coins I received from the guy contained this (that's exactly how the coin looked when I got it too--I didn't dip it or anything!). It was a raw, untouched collection from the 1960's.

I've been hunting for that Trade Dollar for a couple years now. I want to buy it back.

Yankee Coins, Inc.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 4:12 AM
    Posted By: boucharda (Expert Collector)

I have to go with the 08/07 flow and my box of 12 from the Mint. All 12 were 08/07's and 7 boinked 70 grades. Of course my first box of 25 had zero in it.

If it wasn't for John Nanney I would have stopped after the first 25

Morgan Dollar Freak

My Ebay Stuff

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 4:22 AM
    Posted By: coinspeak (Senior Member)

my dad turned me on to this hobby 45 years go. tht is the big score. the time he took with me and what he explained.

I will always cheerish the memories.

now if I can get my mom to let me look at his very large collection of circulated silver>>>>>>>>>>>>..

oh well.

One dat

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 7:54 AM
    Posted By: bumanchu (Collector)

Percentage wise, sold one of my mini hoard of 1998 1c Wide AM's which I paid face value for and sold in PCGS MS67RD for $500.00

And I ain't lying this time.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 7:58 AM
    Posted By: jgrinz (Collector)

(2) 1906 $20 Double eagles
    (1) 1902 $20 Double Eagle

Becasue these are low mintage circulation strike issues in MS I doubled
    my money with these double eagles ( hmmmmmmm ) real quickly - I still think they
    have upward potential but had to sell them to pay taxes for last year
    Wonder what I am going to have to unload this year to pay for the OBAMA innaugural ball

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:01 AM
    Posted By: frnklnlvr (Expert Collector)

Searching about $1500 worth of John Adams pres. dollars, I found 4 rotated dies. Made a decent profit on all of them.

140 CW $325
    120 CCW $290
    95 CW $220
    60 CW $125

FRANKLINLOVER.COM
    Franklin-Lover's Forum

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:05 AM
    Posted By: bushmaster8 (Master Collector)

Bought a 62-D 25˘ for less than $10....sold it for $14K -juice

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:06 AM
    Posted By: SportsModerator1 (Admin)

Sometimes the biggest homeruns are the deals you didn't make.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:15 AM

Found a 1949-S half in some junk silver, cost $4.50.
    Sold half for $10.50!
    Six bucks of pure profit!
    Well, not really...minus ebay fees, highlight, bold, extra pictures, paypal and free shipping, I think I cleared about 2 bucks.
    Yeah!

Ren

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:16 AM
    Posted By: lcoopie (Master Collector)

<< Bought a 62-D 25˘ for less than $10....sold it for $14K -juice >>

FBL ?

support our brave troops

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:47 AM
    Posted By: coinman420 (Expert Collector)

2006 was much different than it is now. what i do is buy multiples from the mint and sell most at a profit and this allows me to keep one or two in my own collection at no cost to me. my best was a 2006 20th anniv. reverse proof PR70 first strike. cost from mint $33.33 plus pcgs grading so i had about $60 in the coin, sold it on the bay for $4870. there were others like a 06 w plat $100 first strike for 4k. times are different now and this does not happen anymore with most bullion. JMO

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 8:54 AM

Bought a 62-D 25˘ for less than $10....sold it for $14K -juice

That was a sweet pick............

coins on ebay

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 12:03 PM
    Posted By: cohocorp (Collector)

i am still on deck. i havent batted yet.

my ebay listings

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 12:06 PM
    Posted By: COALPORTER (Expert Collector)

Im only a pitcher and have my neck jerked every time. (from watching the ball sail over my head and into the center feild bleachers.

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 2:33 PM
    Posted By: robkool (Master Collector)

Found a BU 1960 type "B" Washington quarter last night...

Ebay items for sale Current BIN's / The Kingdom Collection

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 2:39 PM
    Posted By: illini420 (Master Collector)

paid $75 for a PCGS graded coin on a Sunday, sold it the following Wednesday for $2000+

not a bad 3-day return

Michael Kittle Rare Coins --- 1908-S Indian Head Cent Grading Set --- #1 1909 Mint Set --- Long Beach Table #448

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 4:55 PM

<< paid $75 for a PCGS graded coin on a Sunday, sold it the following Wednesday for $2000+

not a bad 3-day return
    >>

Man, I'd love to hear the details of that one.

I finally topped myself and turned a low-three figure eBay purchase into a low-four figure sale. I cut my teeth turning a bunch of two-figure coins into three figures.

Sean Reynolds

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 4:55 PM

<<

FBL ?
    >>

Quarters have bell lines?

Ren

Date Posted: Jan/31/2009 5:10 PM
    Posted By: yellowjacket (Collector)

Cyclonus11,

Is that avitar a TCU horned frog????

Garrow

Date Posted: Feb/18/2009 1:53 PM
    Posted By: SoundPoint (Senior Member)

<< Definitely my biggest was in buying this one raw for less than $10.

Purchase Price = $8.00?

Estimated Value = $25,000 - $35,000
    >>

=====================================================================

Nice Coin!

Just curious - What is a prototype strike?

What does DMR-038 ODV-010, RDV-007, DDO-023 mean?

Why is the estimated value between $25,000 - $ 35,000?

Thanks in advance for your response!

SoundPoint

Date Posted: Feb/18/2009 2:01 PM

Let's see, there was the little old lady that brought in all of her late husbands 1oz Gold Eagles and we paid her face value ($50 ea)
    And another little old lady that had a bunch of old large size currency. Told her it was no longer legal tender, but we would give fifty cents on the dollar.
    Of course the best was the slightly senile lady that sold us her husband's complete Morgan collection for 5X face....
    Gotcha! Had you going for a minute!

Date Posted: Feb/18/2009 2:40 PM

That wasn't a homerun buddy!

That was a bottom of the 9th World Series, Game winning, Grand Slam!

Date Posted: Feb/18/2009 2:45 PM
    Posted By: Coinhog (Collector)

I think it may have been the 10 sets of the 2006 AGE reverse proof anniversary sets.

I think I made almost $30K on those in just a couple of months by beating out the "whitless" folks who wouldn't take a risk and plop down $28K of thier hard earned money. I deserved every penny I made on those. I didn't rip anyone off, I paid attention to when they went on sale,I submitted for first strike, I bought the order limits allowed by the mint, I sold at what the market was paying and I paid my taxes on the proceeds. Everyone was happy........except the haters.

For those who "hate" the flipper, I say.......who cares!

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Date Posted: Feb/18/2009 2:48 PM

<< Nice Coin!

Just curious - What is a prototype strike?

What does DMR-038 ODV-010, RDV-007, DDO-023 mean?

Why is the estimated value between $25,000 - $ 35,000?

Thanks in advance for your response!

SoundPoint
    >>

Look here and here.

DMR-038 = Die Marriage Registry which is the 38th known Die Marriage between Obverse and Reverse Varieties (new)
    ODV-010 = The 10th known Obverse Design Variety (new)
    RDV-007 = The 7th known Reverse Design Variety (new)
    DDO-023 = The 23rd known Double Die Obverse variety (for Dr. James Wiles) (new)

The estimated value is based upon this being currently a one of a kind coin.

02/18/2009 15:01:54|U

Date Posted: Mar/10/2009 6:58 PM
    Posted By: CoinKing1969 (Senior Member)

<< I think it may have been the 10 sets of the 2006 AGE reverse proof anniversary sets.

I think I made almost $30K on those in just a couple of months by beating out the "whitless" folks who wouldn't take a risk and plop down $28K of thier hard earned money. I deserved every penny I made on those. I didn't rip anyone off, I paid attention to when they went on sale,I submitted for first strike, I bought the order limits allowed by the mint, I sold at what the market was paying and I paid my taxes on the proceeds. Everyone was happy........except the haters.

For those who "hate" the flipper, I say.......who cares!
    >>

Date Posted: Mar/10/2009 7:37 PM
    Posted By: atarian (Master Collector)

Best Ive done was a 1885 V back for $120 resold for I think 360$.

Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Date Posted: Mar/10/2009 7:43 PM
    Posted By: Delorean (Senior Member)

This has to be one..Bought it for a mere $135.00!

Chuck,

Ever Onward

03/10/2009 19:44:43|U

Date Posted: Mar/10/2009 7:45 PM
    Posted By: Broadstruck (Errors, HTT's, SLQ's)

Most recent... 1926-D Ultimate Full Head SLQ purchased last week on Ebay.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

03/10/2009 19:53:09|U

Date Posted: Mar/10/2009 10:32 PM
    Posted By: krueger (Senior Member)

At an estate sale I bought for $75. a buffalo nickel board about a third full of circulated pieces except for one.. I slabbed it, a 1924-S at PCGS64. I sold it for $3100.

Krueger

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 12:22 AM
    Posted By: Overdate (Expert Collector)

Percentagewise, a 1950-D nickel. I found it in circulation in 1964, sold it later that same year for $15.00.

29,900% profit!

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 7:02 AM

<< At an estate sale I bought for $75. a buffalo nickel board about a third full of circulated pieces except for one.. I slabbed it, a 1924-S at PCGS64. I sold it for $3100.

Krueger
    >>

Man I used to love going to estate sales. I did something very similar once, though not nearly as profitable. I bought a group of old Whitman folders about 1/3 full of heavily circulated Wheat cents. Included among them was a 1922 no-D strong reverse which went G-4 at ANACS. The books cost me $25, and I sold the '22 plain for around $200 (this was in 1992 or 1993).

Sean Reynolds

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 7:13 AM
    Posted By: Lakesammman (Nummmismmatist)

Largest overall gain - bought for $27.5K, sold for $85K.

Largest percentage gain - bought for $4K, sold for $27.5K.

Don't bring up the biggest losers.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity" Baccaruda, 12/03).
    Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speety, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 7:17 AM
    Posted By: 2manycoins2fewfunds (Expert Collector)

Finding this message board.

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 7:27 AM
    Posted By: garsmith (Master Collector)

No home runs but I have a couple touch downs

The woman I married July 3rd, 2006 (Civil)
    And married again January 4th, 2007 (Church)

My registry sets

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:12 AM
    Posted By: Walmann (Expert Collector)

Getting a homerun in numismatics occurs about as often as a homerun with women back in high school days, happy just to get to first base.

Da-svi-da-niya USA, Zdra-stvu-eetee USSA

Just PARK IT, the offical motto of the US Mint for the next decade

Drecken Sie?

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:13 AM
    Posted By: RyGuy (Collector)

No homeruns yet, quite a few stolen bases from the other team, though. And by that I mean, I lost money on a few purchases early on due to impulse buying. Don't do that.

This space for rent.

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:24 AM

I bought a red book for under ten bucks.

07/19/2010 12:40:53|U

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:28 AM

<< Largest overall gain - bought for $27.5K, sold for $85K.

Largest percentage gain - bought for $4K, sold for $27.5K.
    >>

Could you elaborate a bit more---like what coins were involved?

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:33 AM

02/08/2011 20:59:33|U

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 8:54 AM

I submitted 12 2006 Silver Anniversary eagle sets to NGC (12 reverse proofs, 12 proofs, 12 Unc).

Cost: $1200
    Grading: approx $400
    Total: $1600

Results: all 12 reverse proofs were PF70 and 10 of the UNC were MS70. Surprisingly I only got about 1/2 of the regular proofs in PF70.

at that time that entire order probably sold for a total of $20k.

Biggest surprise of all time: 2 reverse proofs and on uncirculated eagle in one of the sets. The only way I knew this is when I sent in a second order (10 sets) and got back 11 reverse proofs and only 9 proofs!!

Jeff

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 10:08 AM
    Posted By: Wardhaines (Member)

At a local auction I bought a group of errors for $25. 1939 and 1942 brass cents, a couple of off center wheat cents, a clipped wheat cent a Jefferson clip and an 1893 Liberty nickle that came back from PCGS as MS-65, 5% straight clip.
    I think the last price on an MS-65 liberty was $1650 and I don't know what a 5% straight clip adds to that.

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 12:39 PM
    Posted By: bluespaceant (Veteran)

<< I think the last price on an MS-65 liberty was $1650 and I don't know what a 5% straight clip adds to that. >>

Shouldn't there be a 5% discount for 5% less coin?

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 12:53 PM

<<

<< I think the last price on an MS-65 liberty was $1650 and I don't know what a 5% straight clip adds to that. >>

Shouldn't there be a 5% discount for 5% less coin?
    >>

I know you were kidding but I wouldn't be shocked if the error sold for a slight discount vs a normal MS65. You've got yourself a classic "white elephant" there - guys building MS65 sets won't want an error coin, and error collectors won't want to pay the premium for a gem example. Still, for $25 all-in, I guess you can't complain.

Also... 300.

Sean Reynolds

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 1:06 PM
    Posted By: MrOrganic (Collector)

which books you guys recommend to educate one self on errors, DDies, rare variety, VAM,etc

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Long Beach Table #838
    Buying China, Russia, Iran

[email protected]
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, Auth. Dealer

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 1:16 PM
    Posted By: fiftycom (Member)

Won a NGC MS69 1997 $5 Jackie Robinson Gold Commemorative off TeleTrade in 2007 for $900.00 and sold it on Bay of E the next summer for $3,800.00.

Date Posted: Mar/11/2009 4:02 PM
    Posted By: mbogoman (Expert Collector)

No home runs in coins yet, but I'm still swinging from the heels. However, I bought an 1887 "Old Judge" King Kelly baseball card for a buck at a card convention in Anaheim in the early 70s. I also bought several 1910 T206 Hall of Famers, including Cy Young, for 50 cents each. The King Kelly and Cy Young (both PSA graded) are worth around $1500 each now.

mbogoman

"Asesabi Lutho"

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 6:24 AM

Bought multiples of the 2008-W burnished AGE $10 14 OZ from the worlds biggest coin store (US mint). Paid for $300 each now worth north of $900 each.

Post your "outta tha park" major hits.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 6:30 AM
    Posted By: stinkinlincoln (Expert Collector)

Bought a Lincoln off ebay for $800 or so. Sold it for about $2,700 less than 6 months later. Not a huge sum, but it was to me. And it was due to me taking a long shot on a crappy image.

"The answer to '1984' Is 1776..."

WTB: New Orleans Gold $1's... G-AU
    WTB: Early Large cents... G-VF

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 6:47 AM
    Posted By: kryptonitecomics (Choose Your Title)

Lots of homeruns from Ebay buying....Bought a Toned PCGS Morgan for $585 then sold it for many multiples of that price. I ahve also purchased toned Frankies for melt, had them certified and sold them for $150 to $200 each.

Kryptonitecomics Ebay Auctions

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 7:00 AM
    Posted By: ThePennyLady (Expert Collector)

I've posted this story before, and the full account is part of "The Penny Lady Story" on my website, but I once bought an 1873 Indian cent on Ebay for $110 (MS64 RB), only to discover that it was the rare S-2 Double Liberty. I ended up selling it raw at a Long Beach show a couple months later to another dealer for $2,000.

Charmy Harker - The Penny Lady®
    President of Women in Numismatics

ThePennyLady.com

02/03/2010 07:01:40|U

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 7:01 AM
    Posted By: SeaEagleCoins (Expert Collector)

I think I would need to call this one a...

Grand Slam

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 7:12 AM

Great homeruns so far and a fantastic grandslam by Larry.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 7:55 AM

Good timing. Some of my earlier home runs are listed earlier in this thread -- and my absolute best ones aren't going to be sold any time soon so they don't "count" yet -- but I just broke my personal record in terms of actual cash.

Last summer I purchased a Beauregard Dime unattributed on eBay. I paid a bit under $200 for it then, and it sold in the Stack's sale last week to someone who wanted it a whole lot more than I did. I'm going to be pocketing a bit over $7,000.

It's going to take a lot to beat SUMADORA's godless dollars score, though!

My eBay Listings

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 8:16 AM
    Posted By: coinspeak (Senior Member)

when I was a kid another kid paid me back $5 he owed me with (20) washington 90% silver quarters. I still have them. Never have checked the dates but now I will dig them out of the vault and look them over.

I also have both sets of 4 unc and proof 2008 Buffalo, set of 4 unc platinum, (1) MS70 PCGS 2008 $100 Plat paid under $1,600 and all proof and unc sets of AGE 2006-2008.

There are many others but I think this is my best.

My daughter unknowingly spent a very mint 1955 double die I found in my change as a kid back in the early 1960's.

My parents home was arm robbed as a kid and I lost a 1909 VDB S also found in my change most likely a EF.

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 8:16 AM
    Posted By: 2manycoins2fewfunds (Expert Collector)

Total of 550 ...........2007 Smooth Edge GW dollars pulled fron $1000 mint boxes in Charlotte, NC area.
    Total of 150 ...........2008 ASEs with reverse of 2007 pulled from 800 recieved from mint in May 2008

02/03/2010 09:37:29|U

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 8:22 AM
    Posted By: renomedphys (Expert Collector)

All MS Lincolns.

Paid $320 for a PCGS MS64RB 1919-s. Cracked it and reholdered it at 64RD. Sold for $2250. (My biggest percent gain)
    Paid $3500 for a particularly nice 1909 VDB DDO in PCGS MS65RD. Sold it two months later for $8500.
    Paid $4200 (Price Record) for a particularly nice 1915-s in PCGS MS65RB. Sold it two months later for $9500. (Price Record)
    Paid $13250 (Price Record) for a particularly nice 1955-DDO in PCGS MS64RD. Sold it almost a year later for $16000. (Price Record)
    Paid $8500 for a run of the mill 1926-s in PCGS MS64RD. Sold it three weeks later for $12000. (The new owner sold it 18 months later for $17.5K!!)

I guess that about sums it up for the big ones.

If my no-line fatty NGC 1814 cent in AU-55 comes back PCGS MS62 (like it should) tomorrow, I'll be posting another. Paid $2K for that one, so I'm way ahead however it works out.

02/03/2010 08:25:08|U

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 9:08 AM
    Posted By: johnny9434 (Choose Your Title)

i was going thru a jar of pennies ( cents if you prefer ) after my grandfather passed on. found a 1955 double die in it. its locked up somewhere and i still have the jar. fond memories are a gooooood thing

Date Posted: Feb/03/2010 9:46 AM
    Posted By: scotty1418 (Senior Member)

I'm small potatoes, but about 2 years ago - an XF 1928 Peace for $14.

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 10:20 AM

<< Bought (57) 2006 silver eagle anniversary sets and sold all but 2 perfect sets. In one box of 10 sets I received (7) MS70s and (9) reverse proof PF70s. Funny thing is, I only received (4) regular proof PF70s.

>>

Looks like it's "Game Over".

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 11:00 AM
    Posted By: johnny9434 (Choose Your Title)

i found a 55 double die cent in my grand fathers jar of pennies after he passed on. its put away in a safey deposit box somewhere. maybe one of the relatives has it in thiers i dunno

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 11:08 AM
    Posted By: Justacommeman (Master Collector)

I've sold exactly one coin so far and it was for a profit.............we will call it a swinging bunt single...........MJ

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 11:15 AM
    Posted By: rodzm (Veteran)

Nothing great but to a newbie it was and still is nice. I wanted 2 UHRs one to keep in original box and one to get graded. The one i wanted graded had to be First Strike eligible so being that i missed the opportunity i plunked down $1750 for a sealed box FS eligible UHR. Sent it in as my very first submission to PCGS and it came back First Strike MS70. So now i have a UHR in its original packaging that i bought for 1289 (which now sells for about 1750) and the FS UHR that sells for an average of 2400

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 11:39 AM
    Posted By: Overdate (Expert Collector)

In 1964 I found a VF 1950-D nickel in a roll and sold it to a dealer for $15.

That's my biggest numismatic home run (percentagwise, anyway).

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 12:34 PM
    Posted By: kryptonitecomics (Choose Your Title)

Since I originally posted in this thread.....I made my biggest score which could get even bigger...

Bought a toned 1963-D Franklin Half on Ebay for under melt...spent $15 to have it grade under the modern tier at NGC....came back MS66 FBl.

The coin is currently at PCGS attempting to be crossed and if it crosses then I will send it in for secure plus grading to see if it gets the plus I think it deserves. PCGS won't let you submit an NGC coin for the secure plus so first I have to try to cross and then submit again for the plus...but even with the additional cost of grading...if the coin doesn't cross I will still make a killing when I sell the coin

Kryptonitecomics Ebay Auctions

Date Posted: Jul/19/2010 1:26 PM

coins on ebay

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 8:25 PM

btt.......

coins on ebay

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 8:46 PM

Let's see.....
    Oh yeah, 2001 bought a house for $185,000 of coin. Sold it in 2007 for $425,000 in coin.

Seriously probably the unc roll of 1887 Morgan Dollars in 1990 for about $240. Looked at it later and it had several 1887/6 over dates that graded MS65

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 8:49 PM
    Posted By: QuarterCollector (Collector)

I convinced my wife that collecting was not a waist of money.

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 8:53 PM
    Posted By: RedHerring (Collector)

I bought a raw 1908 $5 Half Eagle at a show for $400 and sent it to PCGS. Here it is now..........

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 10:11 PM

One was a 65 sms kennedy half that I bought in an ngc 67cam holder for about $350 as I recall. Cracked it, got back 67 Ultra Cam and sold for about $4k as I recall.

Date Posted: Feb/08/2011 10:27 PM
    Posted By: Mitchell (Senior Member)

The easiest one I made was owning a 1892 Columbian commemorative half (PCGS- MS65) with gorgeous electric blue peripheral toning on top of semi-pl surfaces back in 1992. It wasn't particularly rare but the 500th anniversary year of Columbus's landing coupled with all sorts of promotions drove the prices of any thing related nuts.

My cost: $3K
    Sale price: $10K
    Time owned: 3 years

Successful BST: duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, and a few more.

Check out my GSA Set: DPL GSAs

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 1:45 AM
    Posted By: mkman123 (Master Collector)

this is a great read! I'm small fry and have made small amounts buying something at a flea market and flipping it for a small profit. One of these days, hopefully I will find a home run!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 3:31 AM
    Posted By: OchoReales (Collector)

Bought an 1859 $5 Gold piece from another dealer (ACG PR58) for $600. He did not believe the grade when he bought it as such. Got it into an NGC PR58 within a couple of months. It sold for $13,000 about one month later.

Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 4:08 AM
    Posted By: slipgate (Expert Collector)

A couple of years ago I bought a full sheet of $1 bills from the treasury for $50 or so. This is the only sheet I have ever purchases. A couple years later I was looking at it and noticed a duplicate serial number. Turns out this is a known, very rare, "I 1 a" error. I have been offered $1500 for it but still have it.

My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 4:20 AM
    Posted By: rare1 (Member)

bought an 1858/7 flying eagle in 64 (30k), cracked it, walked it thru at fun, came back 65, sold it to Rick and Brian for 90k the next day. (they sold it for 100k at the show), everyone was happy!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 4:52 AM
    Posted By: Raufus (Expert Collector)

Easy one for me.....buying about $50K worth of the great U.S. Mint issues of '08 and seeing them increase in value by 300-500%. Sold some a bit early, but did very well. What a year that was....

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 1:48 PM
    Posted By: oreville (Choose Your Title)

<< i am still on deck. i havent batted yet. >>

I like that one!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 2:03 PM
    Posted By: derryb (Metalnut)

$1000 brick of Washington dollars, all with missing edge lettering. Hundreds more in other bricks. All at face value. Bankrolled my bullion business with the profit. Have been turning profits from that back into the business. Would retire if I wasn't having so much fun.

Might add that a fellow Floridian here on the boards did much better in total Washington MELs from bricks.

Modern gold on the BST “just as you never really know who has been swimming naked until after the tide goes out, you will never be able to identify all the mal-investments until after the monetary stimulus comes to an end.” - Steve Saville

02/09/2011 14:04:42|U

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 2:26 PM
    Posted By: ebaybuyer (Collector)

i believe the most valuable "find" one could ever hope to have is the pleasure of knowing all you fine people.

"how much of that coin's value is plastic and bean" ??

Date Posted: Feb/09/2011 5:26 PM
    Posted By: TexasNationals (Expert Collector)

1) $107 roll of 1949-D Nickels, pulled 17 EDS D/S coins and killed the pops in 66,65 and 64, made over 10k. (over 10k profit)
    2) Bought a 1831 Dime as AU-58 for $700 and PCS gave it MS-65, sold it for $6750. ($6,050 profit)
    3) Have pulled several Unique National Bank Notes from Texas and several Unique county script pieces, have had several $10k+ offers.(Not sold yet)
    4) Bought 2 1922 Plain Lincolns for AG money and PCGS gave them VF-30 and XF-40, sold for almost $4k. ($3.3k profit)
    5) Edit: Forgot about those stupid 2006-W sets, sold a pack of 10 for 9k, paid 1k ($8k profit)

Biggest cost/sold spread- 1944 D BU Lincoln for 3 cents out of a roll, it now resides in a MS-63RB 1944 D/S PCGS holder. (Not for sale)

Piecesofme is a, has no honor, doesn't follow through on commitments, tough guy behind the keyboard guy all because he can't read 3 lines. Deal with him at your own risk!

02/09/2011 17:32:00|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 8:24 AM
    Posted By: thecoinlook (Senior Member)

This was a fun read.

Although not homeruns compared to some... Maybe some singles legged out to a sliding double.

Did a Buy It Now for a 27-S Quarter for $600 with crappy pictures. Got it, posted better pictures back on the bay and brought over $2200.

Bought a 94-P Morgan for $1200 and listed on the bay and brought over $4000 (I was shocked!). It was a nice AU and no way UNC, imo.

Highest percentage was probably a 13-S T2 Nickel I had acid-ed, put in a local auction and marked as acid restored. Brought $250 for ~20˘ plus the cost of a couple drops of acid .

The Coin Look - Informative Coin Website. Check us out!

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 8:29 AM
    Posted By: Connecticoin (Choose Your Title)

<< btt.......

>>

You still suck!

>>Nothing for Sale<<

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 9:49 AM
    Posted By: relicsncoins (Master Collector)

Two recent ones (last 2 or so years)

1917 Merc. Paid $67 on Ebay shipped.

Came with an ANACS photo certificate graded MS65/65.

Sent it to PCGS and this was the result.

1934 Washington Quarter. Paid around $150 shipped on Ebay.

Sent it to PCGS and this was the result.

Technically nothing realized, as both coins are part of my core collection.

Currently have 53 different Anacs certificate type coins, if you have any and are willing to sell, please PM me.

Current Ebay auctions

02/10/2011 09:49:40|U

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 10:39 AM
    Posted By: atarian (Master Collector)

not a big profit but 97 $5 silver certs in order 64-65 raw. paid $1358 and got little over $2100.
    I bought a johnstown national a few yrs back in a junk pile of old notes for 160. to this day dating back to 1975 not one has ever been sold via auction, ebay or anywhere else. Ive heard at the last baltimore show that at PA auctions could be $2k+. Outside of that on the coin side I pulled an AU /MS 99 WAM for .01 maybe a 200 or 300 coin maybe. thats about all.

Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 9:33 PM
    Posted By: iceman0xh (Senior Member)

Some of my best picks were a rainbow toned 38D jefferson for $12 which came back 67(havent sold it but valued around $140)
    A toned morgan for $20 a few years back thats VAM got me $100
    Just got a monster toned MS64 1884 O Morgan for $69 and I know I can get $300+ for
    Got a 1999 $5 eagle for my birthday that year and sold it last year for $140
    Waiting for grades on some more and will post if they become homers.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 10:04 PM
    Posted By: devious (Collector)

I bought a group lot of lincolns on eBay via bidding. None were graded. 1936, 38, 39, 41, 42 I think were the years of the proofs and a whole mixed lot of other awesome errors up through the fifties. I sent the lot to Paul (commoncents05) and he assessed them for me. I sold off all but the 1936 proof cent and made back my money plus a 100 dollars profit. They were raw. Everybody was happy. So I now had a 1936 proof cent that was essentially free from an ebay lot. I sent it in and it came back graded PR65RD and I was never a lincoln collector. I only bought the lot because it seemed to be a bargain. I sold the 1936 for $19xx dollars. I don't recall the final value, but that was great! Hasn't happened since. That was in 2009.

Nice posts. Love reading about your gains, folks.

Date Posted: Feb/10/2011 10:07 PM
    Posted By: NotSure (Expert Collector)

<< Easy one for me.....buying about $50K worth of the great U.S. Mint issues of '08 and seeing them increase in value by 300-500%. Sold some a bit early, but did very well. What a year that was.... >>

I didn't buy NEAR 50K worth, but I DID buy some 1/4 oz Buffs, and all came back PR or MS70......sold a bit early, but like Raufus said, I did really well!!

Also made out very well on the '08 Rev '07 ASE's.....didn't get in at mint prices, but DID get a BUNCH early on at $99 for a bunch of NGC First Releases MS69.......sold 90% of them in the $400-$550 range, so did well there. Some of the Washie Type B's (the '56, '62, and the '64-D Type C, I did really really well on those too, early on).

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone or anything. You only lie when you're afraid" ......John Gotti

02/10/2011 22:38:00|U

Date Posted: Feb/11/2011 3:27 AM
    Posted By: ProfHaroldHill (Veteran)

<< Maybe you bought a coin raw and submitted it to a TPGS. Cracked a coin out or crossed a coin over. It doesn't even have to be a coin, it can be anything relating to numismatics.

Lets here some stories.
    >>

Well, it would be quite easy to come up with a 'fish story' or two, (and I imagine one or two may be within the thread,) but since most of my 'greatest hits' came before digital cameras, (at least before inexpensive ones,) I can't verify the best. (Unless I posted the photocopy of my check from Heritage, from May of 1989, I guess.)

Problem is, these days, too many dealers have learned to grade, and/or they simply send in all the 'good stuff'!

Over the past 10 years, I've had to "fill in" by buying any number of odds and ends & deals.

I did just purchase a 'herd of Buffaloes' though, (from a "real dealer", at 22.7 cents each,) and these are the nicest I've found so far:

All five are 1913-D, 4 T1 & 1 T2

There are some higher-$ coins I've found so far, but none of them are as nice, condition-wise. (The herd numbered just over 2600, & was supposed to only be a "half bag"!)

Money, in truth, is worthless... history is precious.
    US BST List
    NumisMagician: Guardian of culture, purveyor of history.

Date Posted: Feb/11/2011 4:23 AM
    Posted By: TonedRarities (Veteran)

Oh nothing big, just had a buffalo nickel laying around raw for about 5 years and finally sent it in and got a MS68* grade out of it

Date Posted: Feb/11/2011 4:30 AM
    Posted By: Twobitcollector (Senior Member)

55 DDO bought for XF raw-PCGS AU53 sold for a nice profit

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON

Date Posted: Feb/11/2011 7:23 PM
    Posted By: avenue7 (Member)

Wow. you guys have had some fantastic scores! hope i will get a home run some day...

Date Posted: Feb/11/2011 8:45 PM

I ALWAYS PAY RETAIL.

Date Posted: Feb/12/2011 5:41 AM
    Posted By: raycyca (Collector)

Bought a 1967, 1966 and 1967, and 1976-P Kennedys raw, as wll as 1899 Morgan. Kennedys were about $1.50 each, 1899 was $20. The MS 65 came back as MS 67- $2500. yje 1966 was MS 66=$326, 1967-MS 66+ ( will grade MS 67 next resubmission) $550, 1976-P came back MS 67 after regrade- $2500, 1899 $1 came back MS 63- came back as MS 63-$350. All coins were cherry picked from a dealer's inventory. Also 4 Ike's as per legs in MS 63-65 for about $2 each. Worth about $100 each.
    Marty is the king of the YOU SUCKS with his many DCAM raw Kennedys that came back as 65-68 DCAM's. Ray

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Date Posted: Feb/12/2011 5:52 AM
    Posted By: crypto79 (Master Collector)

my biggest homeruns are when i land a rare coin that is part of my core collection with the look i like at a fair price, not a windfall when i sell a great coin that i will miss later

The "CC" collection of Trade $'s by Hub-Type + Errors & OGH Peace$

Date Posted: Feb/12/2011 6:39 AM
    Posted By: GritsMan (Expert Collector)

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Date Posted: Feb/12/2011 11:58 AM
    Posted By: STONE (Keeper of the List)

I found an unattributed 1829 Curl Base 2 Bust Dime in very nice VF condition last year (2010).
    Of course I bought it on the spot, but I told almost nobody about it until 4-5 months later, and still I kept it very quiet!
    I spent MANY hours looking at VF/EF PCGS Graded Bust Dimes of similar dates to get a spot-on perfect idea of how it should grade.
    I finally couldn't keep it a secret any longer until December 2010, where I spilled the beans (slightly) to this board.

At Winter FUN 2011 I had it submitted to PCGS for grading. It came back just as I thought it would, PCGS-35.
    This makes it the finest known example of fewer than 40 known examples - being finest known was verified by Louis Scuderi who has been
    tracking this die marriage for a LONG time.

While I have no immediate intentions to sell the coin, it is by far the most valuable in my collection and by FARRRR the best cherrypick I ever
    expect to make.

Master List of Websites

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 5:15 AM
    Posted By: raycyca (Collector)

Clackamas, YOU SUCK!!!! How about sending some morsels for the little people? Congrats!!! ))

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 6:37 AM
    Posted By: magikbilly (Master Collector)

Hi,

Well, a certain very rare and historical significant book with information about a famous item with some coins it in. Bought for $20, valued now about $4000, and that is for the usual copy with anti-theft devices as well as the normal marks made to a library reference copy. Mine is clean

Best wishes,
    Eric

"...to the fringes gladly, I walk unadorned, among gods and their creations, with filth and disease..."

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 7:52 AM
    Posted By: RobertS (Veteran)

Everything I bought in 2008 was a home run, but my pride and joy is a 2008 PR70 FS one ounce Buffalo; I think I paid roughly $1400.00

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 8:05 AM
    Posted By: 66Tbird (Expert Collector)

No single big winner for me, but I'm still selling off 06 ASE Anni as singles. About half done with that. Used the profit on multiples of 06,07,08 AGE, APE, and Buff 4pc sets. Even snagged a trade dollar or two for the type set.

I'd been telling my students that a model plane can hover. SHOWSTOPPER
    B29 inverted pass (movie link)
    My Ebay

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 8:10 AM
    Posted By: don129 (Senior Member)

Bought the 1995 20th Anniversary Gold/Silver set from the mint... just because. No reason really. Now I have one of the 1995-W Silver Eagles for free!

Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 8:53 AM
    Posted By: mbogoman (Expert Collector)

Bought an 1879-CC $1 (clear CC) raw off Ebay last month for $350 BIN. PCGS grade just posted last week - MS61.

mbogoman

"Asesabi Lutho"

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 9:19 AM
    Posted By: yellowkid (Master Collector)

Probably the only hit I have had with coins was in the 70's. I bought a shoebox full, an old collection, not an accumulation, for $75. Money was tight then and I think we lived on that money for a year. I remember there were two 1877 IHC's among other things.

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 9:23 AM
    Posted By: RichieURich (Master Collector)

<< I found an unattributed 1829 Curl Base 2 Bust Dime in very nice VF condition last year (2010).
    Of course I bought it on the spot, but I told almost nobody about it until 4-5 months later, and still I kept it very quiet!
    I spent MANY hours looking at VF/EF PCGS Graded Bust Dimes of similar dates to get a spot-on perfect idea of how it should grade.
    I finally couldn't keep it a secret any longer until December 2010, where I spilled the beans (slightly) to this board.

At Winter FUN 2011 I had it submitted to PCGS for grading. It came back just as I thought it would, PCGS-35.
    This makes it the finest known example of fewer than 40 known examples - being finest known was verified by Louis Scuderi who has been
    tracking this die marriage for a LONG time.

While I have no immediate intentions to sell the coin, it is by far the most valuable in my collection and by FARRRR the best cherrypick I ever
    expect to make.
    >>

Stone's "financial homerun" is more akin to the grand slam hit by Milton Bradley of the Harrisburg Senators, to win the 1999 Eastern League Championship series, with his team down 3 runs, a 3-2 count, bottom of the 9th inning, and during a driving rainstorm. Here's THAT story.

Rich Uhrich Rare U. S. Coins Inc. An authorized PCGS dealer.

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 1:36 PM
    Posted By: Steve (Expert Collector)

My #1 was purchasing a PCGS slabbed 1914D in MS64RB for $1,550 and cracking it out! Years later I resubmitted it to PCGS and it came back MS65RB. Still in my collection with a price guide of $11,000. Steve

Owner of all 95 Major Lincoln PROOF cents and 62 major value Registry Lincoln business strike coins.

My Complete PROOF Lincoln Cent with Major Varieties (1909-2014) Set Registry

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 2:07 PM
    Posted By: lusterlover (Veteran)

purchased raw for $1. A grand slam from a % basis.

LL

my mpl registry

02/21/2011 14:12:33|U

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 2:09 PM
    Posted By: jmcu12 (Collector)

Purchased an 1876 CC Trade Dollar at a local auction for $30.

Looked at it closer and discovered it was a double die reverse.

NGC graded it AU Details, cleaned. Still in my collection but still probably worth about $600-$750 (guesstimate).

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 2:33 PM
    Posted By: rld14 (Collector)

I bought a beautifully toned Lincoln cent out of a junk box for 50c... it's now in a PCGS 66RB holder

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Date Posted: Feb/21/2011 2:33 PM
    Posted By: rld14 (Collector)

<< Oh nothing big, just had a buffalo nickel laying around raw for about 5 years and finally sent it in and got a MS68* grade out of it >>

Did you bring that to the Parsippany show some time back? If so I think I remember it... gorgeous coin.

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car