Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The best world coin designs

I love the CAR design but there are so many outstanding world issues. Show your favourites.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few of my favorites
    imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coins

edited to add: Too many favorites to list. Moving into South America, I will add the South Peru CUZCO 1838 8R- have the coin just no picture to add

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin always has been at the top of my list:

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my favorites

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I've always been partial to this design:

N.B.: Not my coin, image from Kuenker.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    A few of my favorites:

But there are so many extraordinary designs in world coins I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite, or even a top ten. Some I enjoy because of the detail in the engraving and I am in awe of the skills required with such antique technology used, some inspire me with the design, and others with the subject.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That French 10C is gorgeous, JCM.

The Una is up there. But my favorite, which I'm sure is no surprise:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Zohar-

Its sort of funny you post the coin you did you did. That coin probably more than any other influenced the direction of my collecting. And it is comical because it was not with Austria but with the World.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinkat - I have had a few of the 1628 in various states of preservation and when visiting Salzburg and seeing the cathedral still stand, it brought the coin to life.

Another from that little town which I like a lot is the 1682 piece.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    If I knew how to attach a photo to this thread, I'd do so, but I can't see any icon. B
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Still my all time favorite...

Specially in the proof 5 Sovereign version image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    I'll add a couple more coin designs that have always made my jaw drop. They aren't necessarily "for circulation" designs, but they are stunning in my opinion.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    One of my recent newps. And yes, it is one of my favourite designs.
    [img=100]http://images.pcgs.com/SecurePlus/31756012_max.jpg[/img]

Couldnt resize the original image, oh well.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I've always been partial to this type:

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1911 Italian commemoratives are some of my faves:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Those Italian reverses are quite nice from the early 20th C.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice coins, I like this one as well.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

What's better than a cityview scene?

A cityview scene with horsies on the other side!

What's better than a cityview scene with horsies on the other side?

A cityview klippe with horsies on the other side!

Z, those Salzburg pieces are incredible. Maybe the designs are a tad busy (which is all too common for 17th century talers- and not a bad thing), but add in the spectacular toning, and you've got yourself some major pieces of eyecandy there. image

I like the scene on the reverse of Iosephus' piece, too.

And I've always liked the ocean liner motif on the Italian coin SaorAlba posted.

Though I'm sure everyone has seen it ad nauseam, I'd say this little jewel is likely the most beautiful of the ones I own, design-wise.

PS- speaking of klippes, the design on this Nurnberg silver ducat klippe I used to have on my Holey Coin Vest was very appealing. Not something I'd call "beautiful", per se, but "amusing", or "whimsical", or just plain "fun". I loved the little boy with the stick horse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of my recent newps. And yes, it is one of my favourite designs.
    [img=100]http://images.pcgs.com/SecurePlus/31756012_max.jpg[/img]

Couldnt resize the original image, oh well. >>

Courtsesy image 4 mudskippie

[/IMG]

Syl, the image button is the 4th from the left (after bold, italics, underline) below the words Message Text and right before http, https, etc.

Rob, You made a very good start posting this coin. For a forum that has recently turned to ancients so much, I'd have expected much more ancients.

Troz, I see that you posted the 2011 set, would that be a coincidence? image Just a heads up: I ended up buying the 3 coin set, 2,1 and half, in original box and cert, because it was 3% above BV and because with the GBP flying so high, the 5 coin set would have cost me 45% more than a year ago, when we talked about it, ie 3000 euros. I too like the £5 but for £1300....

Z., the quality of your talers is beyond.... However, as LM already mentioned, the examples that you chose are indeed very busy, although I understand why you chose them.
    What makes me find them bizarre, is the lack of a portrait and the relative resemblance of obverse and reverse, which makes them look like a very desirable double reverse coin. image Seriously, I personally like some other talers of your collection more. But de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always found this Austrian design stunningly beautiful, too.

(Image courtesy of Atlas Numismatics, though this particular coin shows on their website as having already been sold.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Troz, I see that you posted the 2011 set, would that be a coincidence? image Just a heads up: I ended up buying the 3 coin set, 2,1 and half, in original box and cert, because it was 3% above BV and because with the GBP flying so high, the 5 coin set would have cost me 45% more than a year ago, when we talked about it, ie 3000 euros. I too like the £5 but for £1300....
    image >>

Dimitri,
    Yes, just a coincidence. Happy to read you got your daughter a set at an excellent price. Got my first grandchild/grandson a proof 2014 UK Sovereign last year shortly after he was born. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Zohar those Thalers are very cool!

I haven't seen enough world coin to know which is the most beautiful design, but for sure there are some cool ones here.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't pick just one. Some of my considered best world coin designs

imageimage
  • Options

• Options

Not only can I not post the Reverse of this coin, but I can't even edit the post with verbiage to describe this 1792 5 sols. I had problems posting images with the last board format, but I'm really lost with this format... and this is Gil's image that I emailed to him. I can't put my own up there.

• Options

The nicest "modern" Egyptian Ottoman gold lira

AH1293/12 one year type, the so-called floral design

in condition rarity grade NGC MS63

AH1293/12 NGC MS63 obverseEgypt AH1293/12 NGC MS63r

The Pan Pac gold $1, a coin that I intend to buy ever since 2000 , came very close to a very original looking one, in MS64, PCGS OGH that sold for the price of a 65 ...(no comments) Still, I was the underbidder

Pan PacPan Pac

And the 1925 Swiss 100 francs gold to name very very few.

Switzerland PCGS MS66PCGS MS66

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Originally posted by: lordmarcovan I've always found this Austrian design stunningly beautiful, too.

(Image courtesy of Atlas Numismatics, though this particular coin shows on their website as having already been sold.)

The Austrians still produce this, or used to up to a certain point as a bullion coin.

One day, my mother asked me to buy her a one oz bullion coin in BV, no premium

and I managed to get a choice BU of this: She hated it....image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone should take this thread and post on the Liteside. So much variety and beauty in these.

Super thread which shows the depth of the collections here.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! image
  • Options
    This is my favourite:

Charles I Shilling
  • Options

The Birds of Paradise coins were always a favortie of mine.

• Options
    Nice images

• Options
    Dellabug, I'm shocked. All German New Guinea coins are nice and pricey, but I've never seen such a nice gold 20 mark. You should be proud! I prefer it to the looks of the silver crown of the same obverse.image

Syl, if you managed to post the obverse, repeat the procedure and post the reverse. You can add the comments after the link with the image;
    there are two ways to upload it, one by following the rules of the forum, which used to limit the images upto 50KB, a very small number in today's VDSL world, or you can post it by copying and pasting its url, from another site, where the picture is on the cyberspace, example a free image hosting site such as photobucket. There's no SPACE limit in the second option.

If you find adding comments to it difficult, click on reply and add them in a separate post. I should be the last person "giving advise" on how to post images, but really, it's not that difficult AT ALL. Even coinkat got it lately. imageimage
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dimitri ... Thank you for the procedure. I'll try it the next time I have something to post. I have been trying to post pics from my own computer files and that's what I can't do. I think once I transfer them to a host facility, I'll be able to do it. The one that I did post was from a member here who modified it once I sent it to him. I am almost entirely Canadian Vicky Large Cents now, so I post very little, but have a quite large collection of World, especially German States going back to the early 17th century.
  • Options
    I've always liked this Italian design also.

1997R Italy 500 Lire, PCGS MS67 (CoinFacts image)

Lowest mintage of series from 1958-2001 (43,600)

-Brandon

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe no one has posted a gothic florin or crown yet image

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be my first post on this forum.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kaz

This may be my first post on this forum.

Nice start!

• Options
    Originally posted by: syl
    Dimitri ... Thank you for the procedure. I'll try it the next time I have something to post. I have been trying to post pics from my own computer files and that's what I can't do. I think once I transfer them to a host facility, I'll be able to do it. The one that I did post was from a member here who modified it once I sent it to him. I am almost entirely Canadian Vicky Large Cents now, so I post very little, but have a quite large collection of World, especially German States going back to the early 17th century.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No Syl, you cannot post images from your own computer files directly, unless these images are less than 50KB, which is rather unlikely.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What you have to do, is transfer these images to Photobucket, or another free image hosting site, and then copy their url and post them here. Trust me, for a self taught ignoramus on computers such as myself, it's an easy, albeit time consuming thing to do, if you decide to upload several images.

Large Vicky cents have practically disappeared from this forum along with bosox and his super set. I'd love to see yours, and the same goes for your German States, and IMHO many more members will be interested in them. Heritage weekly world coin auctions had two specials on German States, I'm not sure if the second part already took place, or if it is scheduled for next Thursday.

Pokermanude, what a nice florin. I believe that you might have woken the beast on these, MacCrimmon, who assembled a partial set, in a quality that has never been seen since by yours truly. If he's reading this, he should finally wake up from his hibernation. image

Pano, f?ßaµa? ?a ??t?s? a? ?? a?t? e???e d??? s??........ image

Finally, a current Egyptian favorite, bought from a friend.

AH1293/15W 10 qirsh PCGS MS64

PS: I strongly recommend to all of you, to read The automobile Club of Egypt, a book that will travel you to the Egypt ruled by Fuad, then later by Farouk, from the most popular Egyptian novelist of his generation (“a suitable heir to the mantle worn by Naguib Mahfouz” —The Guardian), a rollicking, exuberant and powerfully moving story of a family swept up by social unrest in post–World War II Cairo.

____________________these lines are to help me find a way to post comments by separating paragraphs, that show up in preview but not when I post________________let's see if this works______________________________________I like this new format less and less image__________________________
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, one and all. Simply stunning.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow Rob you been busy while I was gone yeti. Those are some amazing pieces.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Originally posted by: Pokermandude
    I can't believe no one has posted a gothic florin or crown yet image

imageimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options