Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Please help a novice dark sider help a detectorist identify coins found in dig.

Was sent several photos and would like help identifying the items, and maybe the fair market values, so as to help a detectorist realize his gains.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who dug these is an officer and a gentleman in the military. Apparently found them all on the same dig in Germany. He stated that he cleaned them with an ultrasonic machine to get the crud off
    … So he asked his brother here in America's heartland if he could find someone to help him.
    The rest of the story. How boring is that ? I have no answers.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A metal detector find of several gold coins would become a major news story,
    like that guy who found a bunch of coins near Lüneburg, Germany earlier this year.

Amateur archaeologist finds Nazi gold hoard

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on hammered gold but they look real to me with the English Noble being particularly nice. These definitely deserve some proper attention by an expert and are likely worth several thousands of dollars.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm no expert on hammered gold but they look real to me with the English Noble being particularly nice. These definitely deserve some proper attention by an expert and are likely worth several thousands of dollars. >>

Did you mean each?(but of course not all!) Quite a few of those pieces are exceptional! I'm sure those early English pieces in that condition would bring a tidy sum!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time believing the story. That's an odd mix of coins from many regions to be found randomly buried together.

Something fishy about this...just my 2 cents. And, yes, I freely admit I could be wrong, but my first impression is one of disbelief.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    If someone showed me these coins as a group, I would far sooner assume they had been liberated from someone's cabinet or safe deposit box than a hole in the ground.

Doesn't smell right as a dig find.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    "I don't like it."

-Junior Soprano
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These do not seem to have been dug up, they may have "fallen of a truck". The assortment doesn't make sense to me as does the quality post-dig.
    I will genuinely apologize to the detectorist if these were truly all dug up.
  • Options
    Having heard this second hand, and from the brother of the man stationed overseas, who allegedly dug these in the same hole, and without proper weights and measures, I also found the story a bit difficult to believe . But then, anything is possible. Without coins in hand, I typically do not believe pictures and stories. So skepticism is natural for me, too.

My advice to the guy was to get them encapsulated. He said his brother would rather just sell them without authentication and all that hassle. I said, "okay". But without the coins in hand, no determinations can be made as to value , nor offers made. So if he desires to ship them, then maybe I can get better photos and legitimate prices.

Thanks for the help , so far.

Time , and I will tell , if anything should come through me.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Uh, well, playing the role of devil's advocate here, I would not be keen on letting a grading service have them if they are in fact, not dug but "obtained" through other means.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm having a hard time believing the story. That's an odd mix of coins from many regions to be found randomly buried together.

Something fishy about this...just my 2 cents. And, yes, I freely admit I could be wrong, but my first impression is one of disbelief. >>

You weren't alone in this, and I'm a detectorist.

Nevertheless, I suppose these doubts are irrelevant in this context. If in fact they were all dug in Germany as stated- and yes, I'll admit that's quite possible- then that is one very, very lucky detectorist, and good for him!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they belonged to a Leprechaun and will turn into pebbles soon.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    No word on the Bratwurst Hoard, yet. I have my doubts.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm having a hard time believing the story. That's an odd mix of coins from many regions to be found randomly buried together.

Something fishy about this...just my 2 cents. And, yes, I freely admit I could be wrong, but my first impression is one of disbelief. >>

You weren't alone in this, and I'm a detectorist.

Nevertheless, I suppose these doubts are irrelevant in this context. If in fact they were all dug in Germany as stated- and yes, I'll admit that's quite possible- then that is one very, very lucky detectorist, and good for him! >>

Got email from __________ and it states: " … brother hasn't gotten back to me on weights and measures, have you found anything out on the values of pictures I sent ? I'm waiting to hear back on the weights and measures.

I told him "No, haven't found anything out . Posted photos and hoping to hear something".

I tried to stall and say that the greatest minds in the business are working on it, but then laughed at that thought.
    Maybe I'll get them for spot price. Will that be too much or should I go about 20% back of spot ?