Francis Year Three

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting, this is the first good look I've gotten at the new Annuale. I'm not crazy about the coat of arms for the obverse, as it feels too much like a reverse design to me. The unfortunate need for hallmarks also mars the cleanliness of the design, with the mint's mark being especially cartoonish IMO. The reverse is rather nice, as one would hope for a design based on the work of Bernini; it is certainly superior to last year's.

Congratulations on staying current with the series! How far back does your collection of consecutive annual medals reach?
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of one, I tend to admire the men who have occupied the seat of St. Peter.
    I was significantly impressed by John Paul II and since I do collect medals, I decided to mark my respect by collecting the annuals, starting with Benedict XVI. So, from year one of his papacy. I do have other medals of the popes (including one from the one I despise), but not in consecutive years.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm not crazy about the coat of arms for the obverse, as it feels too much like a reverse design to me. >>

I agree Joe, but think it is a bias of how collectors look at coins today. Personality on the obverse, arms or other design on the reverse is a pretty common type we're used to. And until this issue, annuales always featured a portrait of the pope, except for the 4 (I think) issued during the interregnum of the Sede Vacante. Ironically, while the medal doesn't seem quite right, from the start papal/vatican coins generally seem to feature the papal arms or crossed keys on the obverse. There was a coin show in STL this weekend and I was involved in a couple of conversations about the medal. One interesting suggestion attributed the lack of portrait reflects the perceived humility of the present pope. And it is consistent with the medals included in the proof sets until a few years ago.

My AR example also came this past week and while it is certainly far better than the medal last year, for me its still a bit unimaginative and almost amateurish in both design and execution. Why they insist on the content and mintmark is beyond me nor do I like the dull (not quite matte) finish and artificial toning around the letters. But to keep up to date (AR annuals from 1800 to date) I "had to" buy one and my contact came thru, even offering a bit of a discount off the offerings on ebay. I'd give this one a "C" or so, maybe next year will be better.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a bit that "Dan Carr" sort of look to it, by which I suppose I mean it must have been computer-generated.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.