Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How to identify world coins

Hello, I know the easy answer is look on ebay until I find a match. Found these in a storage unit with constitutional silver, unc $2 bill, rolls of cents from '68, lots of stamps and a safe I'm getting opened! Can't wait. I see Australian and Egypt coins. I don't collect coins. I stack silver though. I will pull all the silver and keep that. Should I sell the rest as a lot on ebay or look up each coin. See anything valuable? Or any tips?

image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    better close ups would surely be helpful.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Here's a few more.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invest in a Krause world coin book, even a used 20 year old one...........its a wealth of information

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see some foreign silver in there!!!

Jeff
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned, you've got a little bit of silver in there. (Not much, though, that I could see. That 1961 Mexican peso is only 10% silver.)

And yes, the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins, even an older edition, is the must-have "bible" for world coin ID and values.

For coins that use the Roman alphabet we're accustomed to in the Western World, you should be able to get some idea of the country of origin (even if you have to Google certain phrases).

Don's World Coin Gallery can be a helpful site for novice collectors.

More advanced is the NGC World Coin Price Guide, but you'll need to know a bit about each coin (country, denomination, and date at least) before using that, and it's not terribly user-friendly.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins shown look like a kid's coin collection from the 1950's or 1960's.

I had a similar collection then (I still have them), and I recognized almost all of the coins.

Even now they wouldn't be worth very much. The silver ones have some value due to their metal.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw vintage Omega Watch paperwork and got distracted are there coins in the image?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I will pick up a book for the rest and future use.
  • Options
    What year is this coin?

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Also some Israeli coins in that mix. I see nothing of value, but if it interests you I can help you identify and date them.

Interesting to see Israeli and Egyptian coins together. Also a lot of British coins, some Italian... Not a lot of silver, but there is some of that as well.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is a link to Numista.

It should help you along

http://en.numista.com/
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>What year is this coin?

image >>

• Options

<< <i>1950

<< <i>What year is this coin?

image >>

>>

Hmm, it's not what I was hoping it would be, but it appears to be what I figured it to be.