Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with a tiny Greek silver

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im assuming it is Greek in origin atleast.
1 gram 10mm

Comments

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    I'm not sure, but there are very similar coins of Halikarnassos (in Caria). Check out that city in CNG's archives or Wildwinds. I see drachms but not litrae, but maybe you can dig up something from another source.

Selge (in Pisidia) also has some possibilities. Athena right/Sol facing can probably be found in other cities too.
  • Options
    Think I may have found it. Thanks for pointing the way.

This is closest I have found. Face style of this later period.
    PISIDIA, Selge. Circa 250-190 BC. AR Obol (9mm, 0.84 g, 12h). Facing gorgoneion / Helmeted head of Athena right; spearhead and astralagos behind.
    http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=233348
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you found it. image

LINK
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    With the amount of time Ive put into some of these you'd think it would start getting easier, but its the opposite since I started with ones I could read.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Neat little coin.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Jinx, yeah it is kind of a terrible learning curve. I never understood how people could make out the lettering in legends on Roman coins much less the Greeks and others for the longest time. But by working through and seeing hundreds of coins, it was like a foreign language even though it was Latin: one day it just clicked. Abbreviations become clear, emperors are distinguishable for the most part until the fourth century by portrait and types become familiar. Also like studying languages, it seems to happen suddenly and insidiously where all of a sudden you realize you are writing things down and skipping going to certain webpages because you already know. In other words, there is an end to the frustration. Only to find new frustrations, haha.
  • Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Cool! Anyone know the story behind the siege?
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Sorry, just Googled it. Selge.
    I thought it looked too nice to come through a siege....
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    Spelling mistakes can lead to fun adventures.