Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Regal Domna

Here is a coin I have had for a long time now. I didn't need or set out for another domna since I have 24 of her currently loose in a pile on a bookcase, but this was listed on a dealer's site and I saw it new, I immediately liked the look of the coin itself & the portrait, which I felt was very regal. The other kicker was I didn't own any with her full name in the legend. It was also at a great price so 2min later I bought it.

Julia Domna (19 - 217 A.D.)
AR Denarius
IVLIA DOMNA AVG; Draped bust to right.
VESTA; Vesta seated left, holding palladium and scepter.
Rome Mint, 193 - 195 A.D.
3.3g
17mm
IC IV-1 Rome 538

Comments

• Options
    lovely portrait on this one Mat image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Except, if I may say so, her nose. She looks like she had a nose job that did not go so well.

Having made my observation on her nose with a bit of cheek, nice pickup, I can see why you bought it!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat portrait. Well done.
  • Options
    Mat hopefully my purchases yesterday helped you get this one image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, i've had this coin for two months image

Thanks for the replies, so far.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I do not have a coin with Domna on it either. This is actually the first that I have noticed. That nose is something else though. Cripes. Nice pickup.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a collection I recently photographed, the obverse legend frequencies for the Julia Domna denari were:
    8 IVLIA AVGVSTA
    4 IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG
    1 IVLIA DOMNA AVG
    None had the patina which appears to make your portrait look a bit more real.
    Below is perhaps the most regal. In many, the portrait / head is rather small.