Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Priming the Pump: Collections Inspired/Started by a Forum Thread: In Honor of EVP

So EVP posited a question that I had thought to myself as well on another thread: do pictures of awesome coins inspire other members to take up the mantle and start adding some of those coins to their collections or start new collections outright? Also, is this a form of self-flagellation at minimum or collecting suicide in the extreme? Does sharing one's personal triumphs with fellow members in effect drive interest and therefore demand and prices up? Do we care?

I have thought about this since I tend to collect on the lower end of the budget spectrum. Recently I have been able to acquire more coins in the $50+ range which is a nice development, but for the longest time I strictly stayed under about $5-10 per coin. Just necessity. When in that price range, even limited interest in eBay auctions or on a dealer's inventory can drive prices uncomfortably up when you are trying to make purchases quietly hoping to win auctions at opening bid and buy up all of the inventory of a hopefully relatively disinterested dealer.

I would say that my ancient coin inventory has definitely taken on new dimensions as I have seen wonderful coins posted here by fellow members and I have bought their cheaper brethren. Two collections that I can name off of the top of my head that were inspired by posts here are my Hungary Denar and British Farthing collections.

Hungary Denar Collection

The Hungary Denar collection was in response to a post from LM about how fun and relatively inexpensive it would be to put a collection together.

The British Farthing collection was started by a BST thread by Syracusian that prompted me to add some nicer condition farthings to my casual lesser grade collection. This prompted me to research more pieces and I found that there were many coins in high grades for little money. I also started adding more dates to fill out the date set as far back as I could go.

British Farthing Collection

There are many other items I would have pursued too if cost was not a factor. Zohar's talers make me want to jump on board that ship and I do start looking then realize it's in a different league, but I just plan ahead for the future.

Also though, one of the other side effects of watching and reading posts here is that I also find I want to learn more not only because I enjoy collecting and moving into new areas but also because when I speak with everyone here, I do not want to be a backwoods schmo who is dumb and the lowest common denominator dragging the collective knowledge level down a peg. I view this as a good thing, a healthy part of camaraderie and competition of sorts to drive self improvement in a good way. So even when I catch a fever to start a new collection and my checkbook starts silently weeping in the corner in anticipation, reason usually wins out and I eventually settle on reading the links and articles about new stuff and satisfy myself with the collections at hand. I think that limitations to each member's budget actually do a lot of the gate keeping on certain collections and prevents run ups in prices after posts. Just too much stuff to collect.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly you cant collect everything, especially in ancients image I love seeing other peoples collections and coins like Zohars make me melt with envy. It sucks being a "blue collar" collector.

I have made many purchases though just by seeing someone post a coins, whether it was ancient or world modern, or even currency. I always check the price first and if it's reasonable, I will buy an example, even if its a lesser grade.

There are some collectors who have done collections that I would do in a heartbeat if $ was no object. I love bi-metal coinage. If I didnt focus so much on ancients, I would be buying multi-metal coinage. Same with aluminum and aluminum bronze. I think of aluminum as a shi* metal cause we drink our sodas from it and it's so light, so in coins I find them interesting.

My collecting is still a "I like it, i'll buy it" type of collection. I do have some sub sets and even sub sub sets, lol. But really no primary collection done just because someone else does it.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bronzemat -

1) So much to look at no wonder we have a challenge focusing. What I do to get my "fix" is buy coins outside my theme, if priced right, and release them after handling. It gives me a chance to see beyond my core theme. More work yet more knowledge and fun. In some cases I lose on the sale, yet I see more coins.

2) "Blue Collar" - I like all your posts and its clear that you really drill down to gain knowledge regardless of budget. Your informative posts did as much for my interest in ancient as SmEagle1795 and TIF2's. The pleasure comes from the journey itself and for me, the interaction with passionate and friendly collectors.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I concur with Z on point two for sure. I have learned as much from you Bronzemat as I have him and JCM, LM, Civitas and EVP. All at different price points and collecting levels. It's a good mix and exposes us to a lot of good coins. And those are just ancients I am talking about.

As for number one, well we all cope with budgets. Mine waxes and wanes and you learn to be okay with it either way. I also like to use thin times to work more on the stuff I have. Scratches the itch and leaves my wallet alone.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sworn to myself that some day I will go metal detecting, thanks to lordmarcovan's many exciting posts! If I manage to find something, that coin will certainly hold a particularly prominent place in my collection, regardless of its value.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2) "Blue Collar" - I like all your posts and its clear that you really drill down to gain knowledge regardless of budget. Your informative posts did as much for my interest in ancient as SmEagle1795 and TIF2's. The pleasure comes from the journey itself and for me, the interaction with passionate and friendly collectors. >>

Hear, hear. I second Zohar's compliment to bronzemat. Some of the "small budget" collectors have much wisdom and their knowledge far outpaces their budgets. Bronzemat is the epitome of that phenomenon.

Nick in the OP is another whose enthusiasm is infectious. The nice thing about this hobby is that we can all influence and admire one another within our common sphere of interest, even when we come from very different walks of life.

Smeagle- I think it's wonderful that someone of your knowledge and (admit it) very lofty position as a collector is willing to spend time with the rest of us in the "blue collar" sphere. It still makes my head spin that you have single coins worth more than my entire mortgage or net worth, but hey, "we all put our pants on one leg at a time", as they say.

Here's to the camaraderie of the Darkside. I hope I get to run into some of y'all at a show like FUN sometime (if I ever stop being a recluse and get out to one again).

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am honored to be the muse of this thread. Deeply so.

I want to say that notions like "blue collar" and comparisons of us as collectors based on budget size is offensive to me. Farouk had a huge budget, yet was a schmo as a collector (he was more of a hoarder of coins). Pogue has a huge budget, yet is actually a numismatist.

Nearly every coin that passes through my hands I still examine, even the change from a local purchase. Maybe two years ago, I got a silver Washington 25c from a bagel store in Queens on my way to the US Open. I immediately noticed it, eyed it for anything else that may be special, then placed the coin in a special pocket. I treasured that coin very much, wondering for that day as much about the young athletic female tennis players I was watching as well as how that coin from a bygone era (late 1940's) survived (grade VG-ish, IIRC) all this time, and what its stories must be like.

I ended up gifting that coin to a friend who has an exploding family to feed, and who is putting together a circulated set of Morgans and Washies.

But the point is that I studied that silver coin from the 1940's from change as if I were studying a 1914-D cent or 1794 O-109 50c. No matter the commercial value, they're all special to me. I have containers full of coins from Taiwan from when I was a youth. I won't get rid of them, because I still have every intention of going through them and studying them. Admittedly I'm a few decades behind schedule, but we'll just pretend that is a rainy day activity. image

And you want to know what is one of my favorite coin series? This really may shock you guys... but I really like Ike dollars. I love the eagle-on-the-moon motif, because it reminds me of the the greatness of humanity and what we can achieve in the name of good progress, as opposed to all the terrible things in the news that I prefer not to get into now. The Ike series is certainly not a big-budget series. But I love it.

SE1795's coins are certainly big-budget by my standard, but my admiration for his posts is not based on the value of his coins, but based on the selectivity he puts into each acquisition as well as the erudition of his posts. I use SE1795 as a positive example, but he is not alone. There are many here who are scrupulously selective in their purchases and has attention-grabbing erudition. Nick the OP has a vastly different budget than SE1795's, but his pursuit of selectivity and erudition is the same. I salute you all: image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Why I use the term "blue collar collector" is posting on this board & seeing all the really nice coins, and mind you I count the u.s. collectors, its crazy. I post on other boards, mainly cointalk, and I dont have that feeling since majority there share their coins no matter the budget. Also when I goto shows like Long Beach, most of the coins available is big boy coins & much of the time, I get attitudes or frowns when I ask for my price range. I go with usually $300 max, that isnt alot for a show. So mostly junk silver or world coins & currency come home, not ancients.

I know this board and cointalk have some rivalry due, they consider this board elitists & not as friendly to newbies or newbie questions. I enjoy both boards here but I do tend to not share as many new purchases on here as I do there. I've posted low grade/common stuff here in the past & I get 1 reply, post my nicer stuff and I get much more replies. With cointalk, even the "dreck" gets a good amount that it was worth the trouble to upload the image and post.

I am glad to have been able to help others here and be some inspiration though. I have made some good board friends on here.
    1) bronzemat - I would agree to the fact the posting here tend to be of higher quality. However, I do not believe this is an elitist forum. I started posting years ago with lower grade coins and little knowledge and never felt unwelcomed.

2) CoinTalk has other issues - indeed a wide range of collections and collectors, yet tight moderation as well as a heavy hand by certain members who believe they own the forum. Per my experience on the ancient side is the invert of yours here perhaps - continuous criticism and beat up over slabbing of ancients and actually frowning of higher grade/price coins. I left that forum and will not come back as long as that attitude continues.

3) Coincommunity - where I started - very nice venue, yet very basic knowledge in my area of collecting. It did help me get started and there are some very nice folks there.

To conclude - I would love to post in other forums yet there are none that (to me) are as welcoming and knowledgeable as this one. You should keep posting as you wish, regardless of the number of replies. I for one always read the posts yet in most cases do not have much to add.

<< <i>1) bronzemat - I would agree to the fact the posting here tend to be of higher quality. However, I do not believe this is an elitist forum. I started posting years ago with lower grade coins and little knowledge and never felt unwelcomed.

2) CoinTalk has other issues - indeed a wide range of collections and collectors, yet tight moderation as well as a heavy hand by certain members who believe they own the forum. Per my experience on the ancient side is the invert of yours here perhaps - continuous criticism and beat up over slabbing of ancients and actually frowning of higher grade/price coins. I left that forum and will not come back as long as that attitude continues.

3) Coincommunity - where I started - very nice venue, yet very basic knowledge in my area of collecting. It did help me get started and there are some very nice folks there.

To conclude - I would love to post in other forums yet there are none that (to me) are as welcoming and knowledgeable as this one. You should keep posting as you wish, regardless of the number of replies. I for one always read the posts yet in most cases do not have much to add. >>

I remember your experience on CT, but most ancient collectors as a whole hate slabs. Never had an issue with CT mods either. If you posted on Forvm, which is much less welcoming to an extent and has much harsher rules to follow, you'd never post there again either. And they dislike slabs as well. Forvm is one of the least enjoyable boards, but I like their gallery setup & buy coins on occasion when the price is reasonable for there.

Never posted on CC, lurk on occasion. herd their mods are rough too.
    bronzemat - the fact that they hate slabs should not mean that it is mentioned on every post. If someone doesn't like slabs he can crack the coin out. The vibe was such that it made little sense to stay. You would never get that response here.

<< <i>bronzemat - the fact that they hate slabs should not mean that it is mentioned on every post. If someone doesn't like slabs he can crack the coin out. The vibe was such that it made little sense to stay. You would never get that response here. >>

Z, they didnt know you that well and I think the majority felt that you were paying a big premium for the coin being in the slab vs one in the same grade for alot less, so they didnt like you seeing your money being wasted just for plastic. But most didnt know you come from a slabbed world cause of your Thalers and whatnot. When we see a $30-$50 Julia Domna or Gordian III silver being bought on ebay for $150 or $200, or a $5 - $20 Constantine or his sons bronzes for $80 or more. I know it isnt our money but we just cringe.

It isnt just you though, it happens with others.
    Honestly, the commentary wasn't about alerting me about over payment. It was about the way I collect. It matters less whether they know me or not - its reflective of some of the folks there. I tried more than once to communicate my approach and the fact that I came from the world side, to no avail. You have the big "dog" there starting the beat up and everyone else joins killing each thread. You probably see 30 posts I made where each one was about the slabs. I am very content with my strategy (with slabs) and will continue to do so. That forum is simply not a good fit for me.

Lastly - I do believe a top coin (condition/eye appeal) is worth a premium in $ like other things in life (Real Estate, Car, Food etc.). In most cases the coins the forum members there were highlighting as comparable "found this for $30" did not compare to the choice common coin I was aiming to get. I searched the raw VCOINS/FORVM lists and they did not compare in quality/eye appeal . Not sure the slab cost was the issue there its simply that the tilt was that the majority did not focus on quality as a main driver (which is just fine) but rather on the history allowing for broader purchasing. I have fewer ancient coins than most in that forum, as in my ancient coin collection, I am less focused on the history but more on the appeal of the coin. One guy there called me a "Coin Elitist" for buying higher grade coins ... If that is what they interpret this as, so be it.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the Europeans tend to favor quantity and history over quality. The Americans tend to see a qualitative distinction amongst the coins we see. That the Europeans disfavor slabs is likely driven by two things: an indifference to qualitative distinctions, and that slabs came from the USA and we've simply had it here longer.

My guy at CNG and my pusher of choice for super nice Italian States coins both ask me why I care so much about slabs. My answer to them is that I live in the US market, and I have to care. To not do so would be foolish. So I try to buy genuinely nice coins that would be "nice" in the US market and "nice" abroad as well. When presented with that reasoning, they tend to agree with me.

That I crack out my hammered coins, and store them in flips with self-made tags, is just the irrepressible old-school weenie in me making itself felt.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com