Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

CICF 2015 Show Report

CICF 2015 Show Report

We arrived early in the week in order to enjoy the sites of Chicago. My wife and I visited the Field Museum where we saw the new Vikings exhibit, the gemology and minerals exhibits (complete with a sampling of gold coins), and much more. Truly a wonderful place to visit for anyone with an appreciation of history. The Egyptian exhibit even had some useful information on early monetary units. Our minds fascinated and legs tired out, we crashed at the hotel where we continued to research and prep for the upcoming show.

Throughout the week we also visited several of our favorite restaurants. If Pequod’s Pizza had beds, we probably wouldn’t need a hotel. Their pizza is thick yet light with just the right amount of crispy cheese and crust at the bottom and edges. Just the right amount of sauce and tasty toppings. Magic in a pan!

On Wednesday we went down to view lots for the Heritage auction and really enjoyed looking through the offerings and found a few items to bid on. As relayed in a separate thread, JCMhouston asked me to have a look at the 1813D 18D to aid his assessment of it. It was great to be able to help a fellow forumite and learn more about those particular coins.

For those unfamiliar with it, this show is much smaller than an ANA show, but since all of the dealers are focused on world coins it seems an ideal venue for collectors of such material. Despite this, many dealers on the bourse reported the show was slower than expected.

Regardless, we thoroughly enjoyed roaming the bourse Thursday through Saturday. I checked in with the folks at Atlas, John at CRO, Josh at Civitas, Kenn at Moneta, and many more great dealers. I also had a good conversation with Ian Russell at Great Collections, always a gentleman and very helpful. Although I did purchase a few excellent coins, my greatest finds were the knowledge, in depth discussions, and good company of collectors and dealers such as Eddy Absil of Schulman, Bill Kalmbach of Nilus Coins, Alexander Basok, and Mr. Barinaga.

We flew home on Sunday and are now recovering and looking forward to our next coin show…

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. How did you fare at the auction? Any chance
    of some pics on your purchases? Glad you had a good experience!!
    When you have a chance PM me on the location Pequods in relation
    to the show location.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice report, Pat. I came on Sunday and was the only customer on the whole floor with a total of about 8 dealers including Andy and Josh still milling about. My show experience was much shorter, but considering how late I ended up getting there (stupid work), I was happy to pick up a few items and have some decent conversation before returning home and to my bed.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fun outing. For me any show is a good show as I don't get out much.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Tibor, I sent you a PM with the details on the pizza.

I bid on 9 lots and won two: an exceptionally nice 1859 Frankfurt Thaler and 1898 Wilhelmina Gulden. Once I receive them and get them photographed I'll be happy to post pics.

Nick, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up, but glad you did get some time in on Sunday. Sounds like you need some rest!

Zohar, as you were so helpful in my early transition from US to world coins I do hope we can meet up at one of the shows some day.

Edited to correct my phone's spelling of Wilhelmina. image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Haha, it's just the bonus of working nights. I look forward to meeting you in person as well. We will have to go out for dinner, there are lots of great Chicago restaurants that get overlooked by folks from out of town.