Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Gothic Florin

I just bought this at 4am today. How much with the ding on her chin and to the right of her neck affect the grade

Chris
imageimage

Comments

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea but I love the Gothic design. Nice job Chris.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    It looks to be in really nice condition but I have been stung by buying a coin with direct light pictures like this before. The coin I bought ended up having a lot of light scratches that were hidden by the pictures. Hopefully yours wont but I don't think the dings will affect the grade much as the pictures are enlarged a lot. A florin isn't a huge coin so the dings will be hardly noticeable in hand.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful coin! image
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yea I asked if cleaned or altered he said no if I see hairlines ill just return it. Ill take some pictures when I get it in hand. I spent 300 shipped on it I'm hoping atleast AU
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    It sure looks AU, very pretty!
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Detail looks nice. But that style of photography can hide a lot of bad things. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much lustre left in hand.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like reeding marks on Vickie's cheek. It was hit by the edge of another coin while in circulation. While noticeable, that hit wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me personally. I could live with it. It might bother some other folks.

As mentioned, it's kind of hard to tell if this was cleaned or not due to the lighting of the photos, but it's certainly a sharp looking coin in terms of detail. A solid AU.

And that one ain't just a Gothic florin, it's a "Godless" florin, too!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Its not a Gothic Florin at all , LM rightly points out it is a Godless Florin. Gothic Florins have the date in Roman numerals.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, a Gothic Florin has the funky lettering.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first glance, I thought ex-Proof.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was thinking of the crown/portrait and reverse as Gothic style and did not even pay attention to the lettering.

<< <i>Yes, I was thinking of the crown/portrait and reverse as Gothic style and did not even pay attention to the lettering. >>

Me, neither. I always thought of "Gothic" as the portrait style, but now that it's been mentioned, the fact that it describes the lettering makes more sense, I guess. I was thinking of the "Godless" florins as a subtype of Gothic florins rather than a distinct type, for some reason. But of course the lettering styles (among other things) are so extremely different, who knows what I was really thinking. Just half asleep, I guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A technical point LM. IMO, this would still be a Gothic florin based on the style. The later Gothic lettering just extends the theme of the design; would it be a Gothic if the bust were, say, of George V?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • The Godless Florin has a diameter of 26 millimetres and it weighs 7.3 grams.
    The Gothic is larger at 30mm and heavier at 11.35 grams.
    I would still argue this a Gothic on style, no matter the lettering or diameter or weight. The 1848 patterns were IMO tests for florin design and the Gothic style was that selected.
  • What in your opinion makes the Godless florin a Gothic design ? The concept of the Gothic florin is based on Gothic lettering which is absent from the Godless florin.
    The Gothic description comes from the design which is the CENTRAL DEVICE - and the garb of the queen such as she is depicted. Gothic theme is NOT based solely on lettering, which is the minor reason.
  • The Queens costume has absolutely nothing to do with it , neither does the reverse as it is very similar to many florins. They can't all be Gothic .. or are they ? lol

Godless Florin, the reason for this is "DEI GRATIA" is missing from the coins inscription.

The second type is known as the Gothic Florin. The Gothic Florin was struck from 1851 to 1887 excluding 1861 and 1882. It was called the Gothic florin because the inscriptions are in Gothic Style and the coin dates were in Gothic style.

• The Queens costume has absolutely nothing to do with it , neither does the reverse as it is very similar to many florins. They can't all be Gothic .. or are they ? lol

Godless Florin, the reason for this is "DEI GRATIA" is missing from the coins inscription.

The second type is known as the Gothic Florin. The Gothic Florin was struck from 1851 to 1887 excluding 1861 and 1882. It was called the Gothic florin because the inscriptions are in Gothic Style and the coin dates were in Gothic style.
    Wow, that is INCORRECT. And I will pull rank on this one. This is ABSOLUTELY the reason for it being Gothic . Do you even know what Gothic means (other than lettering)?
    As an addendum, the puncheon for the central GOTHIC device - Queen Victoria was used on a pattern dated 1966 and was by memory in a Spink SNC. BTW, also labelled as "Gothic".

As others may or may not attest, I know more than a bit about Victorian silver and will just leave it at that.

• << <i>Wow, that is INCORRECT. And I will pull rank on this one. This is ABSOLUTELY the reason for it being Gothic . Do you even know what Gothic means (other than lettering)? >>

Pull what rank ? I'm not the one that's been incorrect. A medieval costume in the portrait of the Queen doesn't make it Gothic. I don't think you are going to budge from what is as you say "your opinion" so ill let you go on generating confusion as to what is a Gothic Florin. It's very much like how people call all silver 3d's and 4d's Maundy coins when in fact they are not. Have a good'un
    Never mind if you don't know. Suffice it to say I will go toe to toe on any late milled silver, especially.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Sorry wasn't trying to start a skirmish. The auction stated godless florin I assumed all the old portrait ones were gothic my mistake. I just know I like the design I let everyone else quivel about the name

<< <i>Sorry wasn't trying to start a skirmish. The auction stated godless florin I assumed all the old portrait ones were gothic my mistake. I just know I like the design I let everyone else quivel about the name >>

Exactly!