Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

One of my Vietnam coins ....early 5 tien.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to find original.
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats- I like it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    nice coin never see n one before.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I wasn't expecting so many pictorial elements. That's neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Very cool! I forgot that Vietnam was ruled/dominated by Chinese dynasties for thousands of years until the French arrived in the mid 1800's and romanized their alphabet. I wonder what the characters mean. Any Chinese readers out there?

• Beautiful! I can see a fish, birds, a monkey, flowers, even some caterpillars.

<< <i>Very cool! I forgot that Vietnam was ruled/dominated by Chinese dynasties for thousands of years until the French arrived in the mid 1800's and romanized their alphabet. I wonder what the characters mean. Any Chinese readers out there? >>

The Romanization part of your historical narrative is right but I don't know that the part that comes before it is right.

At any rate:

嗣德通寶 兆民賴之 ==> Currency of the Tu Duc Era: The people trust in it. (Or: The people rely upon it.)

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If I understand economics correctly, "the people rely upon it" is more often the truer statement in any country image

Thanks again sumnom for a fast translation. You da man.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Thank you for the feedback on the translation. I wasn't sure which would be right in this context.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Well, I was being serious, but also somewhat humorous. Practically the general public of any nation tend to rely more on their currency then they do "trust" in it. However, from the government's perspective, they likely intended "the people trust in it" because governments (especially developing nations) tend to project an image of power and trust for their citizens to promotion nationalism.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

I don't that know I would refer to Vietnam as "developing" during the Tu Duc reign but that is another debate.

The legend here is suggesting that the people can rely upon or trust in the currency because it is/will be stable. It is tempting for the state to try to simply mint its way out of fiscal crises but the result is hyperinflation. This is something of a promise to the people that imperial monetary policy will be wise and prudent; the state will neither mint too many coins nor adulterate the metallic content nor change the size, shape, or thickness while maintaining the same face value. Thus the people can use it, rather than other currencies or other media of exchange, without fear of loosing their shirts to inflation.

I admit to not knowing much about Vietnamese monetary history, alas. When, exactly, were these pieces minted? What was going on with Vietnamese monetary policy when they were minted? Were the French a factor yet?