Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Almost a full set of Scotland Ryals

As requested in a different thread. Just need a 1568 to complete the set. Obverse design was changed in 1567 (from a turtle climbing a palm tree, to a sword) when Mary Queen of Scots fled the country and her infant son James VI became ruler.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are awesome. And appear to be so well matched!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
    Wow, that is quite a set!!!!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really impressive. I have been thinking of acquiring one, only to have as an exemplar. May be quite a while on my wish list, though.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a very cool set!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently read Antonia Fraser's biography of Mary Queen of Scots,
    and didn't remember seeing much about her coinage except for a photograph.

After seeing these coins, which are amazing, I wonder what the palm tree and tortoise meant.
    There are lots of explanations.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow - thanks for taking the time to post. I love the consistency of the set. I have been intrigued by the series since I saw your post several years ago. I dont see these in dealer inventories often.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, Dennis.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tortoise climbing the palm tree was a crest of the Darnley family that was used during Mary's rather abbreviated marriage to Henry Darnley. It reflects what you have to love about Mary's coinage - so much of her personal travails are played out on her coinage. Her regents had their initials on her coinage during her minority, then later on Francis had his name and titles - then Henry. The only husband not noted on her coinage was James Hepburn, Lord Bothwell.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are very cool indeed!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's amazing. I like the 1565 the best; not just because of the color, but because it's 400 years before my birthyear. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's amazing. I like the 1565 the best; not just because of the color, but because it's 400 years before my birthyear. image >>

Me too... by far. And the 1567 Sword needs to be replaced with something nicer.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool set!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great set. Keep it up.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set !
    Why do some have a thistle counter-stamp and others do not ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice set !
    Why do some have a thistle counter-stamp and others do not ? >>

I suppose because the government's order to the public to bring them in for revaluation wasn't trusted by everyone.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the PCGS website:

Many examples also bear a thistle counterstamp that was applied by the government in 1578 to increase their value to 36 shillings and 9 pence
    after several years of inflation and rising bullion values.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Always learning something new. I had no idea about the turtle or the revaluations or really anything about this line of coinage.