Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Last Roman

Well I don't know what happened to the first post, but let's try again.

Normally I wouldn't buy a damaged coin, but, I've wanted a bronze of Justinian I for a while as a bookend to my Roman set, I just didn't want to pay the price for a really high grade example. This one popped up with some damage to the rim you can see at 3 o'clock on the right edge but it had such good details, and the price was so right I decided to go ahead and pick it up.

Justinian I (527-565), Æ 40 Nummi – Follis, 22.08g., 40mm.Cyzicus mint, first officina, dated regnal year15 (A.D. 541 / 542), D N IVSTINI ANVS P P AVC, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield with figure on horseback riding right; cross to right, rev., large M (mark of value), ANNO to left, cross above, XЧ (date) to right, A below, KYZ in exergue, (S 207).

Also referred to as Justinian the Great, and the Last Roman, Justinian embarked on an attempt to restore the Roman empire to it's previous glory while Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire. While not completely successful he did recover much of the lost Western Roman Empire and all of North Africa.Among his exploits he completely rewrote Roman Law in the form passed down to many current countries in the west, and built the Hagia Sofia (at a cost of 20,000 pounds of gold), one of the great pieces of architecture in the Roman empire.

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I like it. It's well struck and the bit of damage doesn't really detract. And it's nicely centered as well. Justinian was quite the guy.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I don't know what happened to the first post, but let's try again. >>

It's still there.

But that's OK. Go ahead and give me deja vu and make my head spin while I wonder if I imagined all of that previous conversation. image

Wouldn't be the first time I've questioned my own sanity! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Jam I think that it is a great coin. Yes I see the rim damage there but in the interest of being realistic, it is such minor damage to a great piece that you stressed was at a good price, so take the win here. I am consistently surprised by what Justinian's coinage sells for even in garbage grades. You bought a very nice representative piece and if you got it for a nice price then that's a double win for you.