Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who could pass up a Severus Alexander Sestertius with this nice of a portrait?

First purchase of 2015 image (I've been scouring the web for a Titus elephant denarius that I'm pleased with for the 12 caesars set, to complete it actually)

Sesterii get real expensive real quick, for under $100 I think this was a no brainer to fill my Severus Alexander slot

sellers write up below:

Orichalcum sestertius, RIC IV 648, Cohen 549, VF, chipped, 22.254g, 31.2mm, 0o, Rome mint, 232 A.D.; obverse IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate bust right with slight drapery on far shoulder; reverse SPES PVBLICA S C, Spes advancing left, flower in right, raising skirt with left

I'm excited to see what it looks like in hand
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, it isn't perfect, but it is definitely well worth the price!

<< <i> (I've been scouring the web for a Titus elephant denarius that I'm pleased with for the 12 caesars set, to complete it actually) >>

I've been looking for one for a long time and just finally bought a nice example, from an unexpected source (a US coin dealer in an ICG slab).
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Here's what I was able to come up with using my amateur setup, color is like in hand, still very pleased with the "fine style" portrait
    obverse
    reverse
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    A fun find and great way to start the year!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice, that is really cool. Good job on a good find. Even with the obv chip, it still is a very attractive coin! I am looking forward to adding some sesterii this year myself. Also, some more dang elephants :-(