Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1858 RP2 Canadian Five Cents. Rare?

Is the 1858 RP2 Canadian five cent a rare variety? Was checking the PCGS pop's and found that only 2 coins have been certified, a MS64 and a VF35. Anyone here have insight on this variety?
Thanks in advance.
Bruggs

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Most Canadian coins are cert'd by ICCS or CCCS, except for the real high end stuff, and especially if it is to be resold to a Canadian collector. I wouldn't put alot of faith in PCGS POP reports for that coin, or really any Canadian variety, regardless the denomination. The coin is scarce (if you are talking about the '5'), but really not that hard to find and there are a number of repunched and overpunched digits for any of the 1858 coins(1st year of issue) of all 3 denominations. I would look at 'ended' Ebay auctions that actually sold to get an idea of what any particular grade sells for. There used to be POP reports for ICCS cert'd coins, but haven't seen one in a while.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill is mostly correct: there are 4 denominations for 1858 - large cent, 5 cent, 10 cent and 20 cent.

Charlton catalogue list this variety (large date RP8 east) at the same value as the standard date thru the circ grades. In UNC the premium is approx. 10 to 20%.

Excellent pictures of the variety are on page 42 of the 69th (2015) edition.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruggs, would you please post an image?

you said RP2. did you mean RP 5?
    if so, which 5, the 5 in the date or on the denomination?
    makes a enormous difference.
    if it is denomination, I believe (might be wrong) Zonad possibly has one or two.... scarce they are.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Gene ... You are right. My mind just doesn't wrap around the concept of a 20 cent piece, nor is that denomination infamous for varieties. I would suspect, though, that they had as trouble with that one as with the other 3.