Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Poll: Since discovering this forum your tastes have ...

Have your collecting tastes evolved as a result of these threads? and if so, to what degree? any complete 180s?
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As evidenced by my username (referring to early US coinage, specifically early gold with the Small Eagle reverse), I have had a 180 degree flip in collecting priorities. I've sold the vast majority of my US coins, retaining only a few sentimental pieces, and am now neck deep in ancients.

Some US coins have tried to entice me (two coins that had been on my wantlist for several years are coming up in the next few weeks), but I'm sticking firm, ignoring my username, and charging ahead with ancients, especially focused on the plethora of auctions coming up in January.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    I am buying fewer coins but nicer coins. Not sure if that is a function of participation in coin forums or just a natural progression.

At first I wanted as many as possible in order to just play with them and to see what I liked. After buying several large mixed lots I think (hope) that is finally out of my system.

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I feel like my interests are the same, in that I still enjoy all of the areas of collecting that I collected when I started here, with a definite expansion into ancients that has gone on for a few years now with the help (and habit feeding of you "first one is free") folks.

I've gotten more knowledgeable, patient and interested in finding certain things. I also still like big fun lots too of course, but I buy lots that have actual value rather than because they are cheap, have a great number but low quality of coins, et cetera.

So like TIF2 mentioned, possibly it is a natural progression for coin collectors and the forum, with its inherent indexing and cataloging abilities simply displays that progression for others to see more clearly than a private study without written record like collectors have probably had for generations before.

I have more areas of interest now, yes, but I also strive to buy better coins and even my place holders need to be a bit better than before. I pay more attention to shipping charges and try to get maximum value if I need to buy out of country. (I also have mostly avoided auctions at major houses as well because of the ridiculous fees. 17.5% buyers fees on a $100 coin is $17.50 and for that amount I can get a nice silvered antoninianus. Thinking in a "zero sum" mentality has helped direct me to dealers who give me better value for my dollar and honestly nothing I am collecting is that scarce yet, so why pay the additional buyer's premium for common coins AND shipping at this stage?)

I've learned the value and joy of sharing pictures with you guys, my friends, as well as learned more here about the day to day history and real life of ancient times in than any classes (I took 49 hours of college level history classes as part of my major) I took and that is no slam against my instructors.

Also a large part of this development has been the development of friendships (like with Syracusian, who really gave me a kick in the farthings direction and I am having a ton of fun building that collection cheaply, or with Bronzemat who shares my love of bronze and ancients or LM who I share the "holy crap I collect everything" passion with) and dealer friendships where I know if I have a little bit bigger chunk of spending money I buy a coin that I have had on my long term wish list from someone I trust either at a show or through here. It makes the extra dollars that I earn (which are always too few when you have a kid) go much farther and for better quality stuff. Maybe I will never rival SmEagle or Zohar, but seeing my collection quality improve over time is a very satisfying feeling.
  • First of all thank you for putting this survey on the Forum. I hope there will be more respondents going forward.

I continue to focus on my geographic and historical interests outlined in my personal details: Canada, Newfoundland, Ireland, Japan, Classic U.S. Commemorative coins.

This Forum has afforded me the opportunity to learn from more experienced collectors who have graciously answered any number of mundane questions. I consider myself a novice collector.

I have two serious issues: Price Discovery and the appropriate grading of coins. I watch the auctions diligently, occasionally participating if the all in cost is what seems to be correct. I have followed the Grey Sheet and also the Canadian equivalent, Trends, finding both to be horribly incorrect when comparing to recent auctions of postings.

The ability is one of time and experience. One senior member on the Forum suggested that I take the ANA summer course in grading. I am seriously considering this recommendation.

In all, I want to thank this group for helping me better understand the value of coin collecting. John
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good topic for a thread and there are probably a few answers that could apply to my experience. I find this forum as inspiring given the broad knowledge that exists and the keen sense in each category by each to gain expertise and domain knowledge. Specifically for me, having gotten into the hobby in 2007 purchasing many $10-30 coins, it has helped built my confidence in my own direction and judgment elevating quality/cost while staying relatively disciplined.

Relationships established on this forum (some online, a few offline as well) are priceless. Seems that folks that appreciate ongoing learning, allowing for an open mind and evolution find themselves migrating here. I have seen the exact opposite on some of the other forums I have been to where folks are set in their ways and at time impose their views on others. I guess like minded, obsessive folks like to hang aroundimage

Critical eyes, experience and feedback from experts MarcMoish, Syracusian, EVP, worldcoinguy, JCMHouston and many others have helped me validate the Taler collection direction and purchase and sell decisions and more recently the "Ancient" gang here have simply inspired me to expand into a complex unchartered territory.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy much fewer coins than I used to. Mostly because Im on the dealer side now. I find less enjoyment in the coins I once loved. Now it has become more of an investment tool then hobby. Hobby is now selling all the "common" coins I have accumulated and putting that money into car parts. Building a 1951 chevy fleetline, long ways to go before its on the road.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool topic. I said "Become more specialized, and in a different category than where I began."

I was still languishing in blast white Morgans and Walkers when I found this forum. My collecting focus has changed - now focused on trade coinage. US Trade Dollars, Portrait 8 Reales of Mexico, Chopmarks on non-asian coins.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All+ image

Hoard the keys.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I changed my collecting tastes because of the forum, rather I changed my tastes and then found this forum. Sure glad I did though, the knowledge here is tremendous, and there are some terrific specimens that are shared for discussion.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This place has helped me broaden (and shift) my areas of interest, and also deepened my knowledge. I mostly used to collect US early, seated and trade dollars but have drifted to world crowns because they are relatively cheaper, more varied, and I don't need to get the 1870-S nor any of the R.8 early dollar varieties. I became a type collector, preferring the higher grade material because it made more financial sense. Then, because of this place, I became interested in Anglo-Saxon coinage. Money not growing on trees, I was forced to suspend collecting in certain world coin areas and now limit myself to three main areas: Anglo-Saxon, Italian States (before 19th Century) and anything else that seems like a good opportunity (like that ChMS Netherlands Lion Daalder, an uber-lustrous Teutonic 2T or a very attractive Ferdinand VII MX 2R that I acquired recently).

A lot of my interests and purchases have been shaped by the folks here: OriginalDan, who helps me pick off nice LatAm non-8R pieces; Zohar, who keeps me away from Austrian/HRE; Nap (and a few others) who keep me interested in Anglo-Saxon coinage; everyone else who is driving up pricing on ancients, so I will stay on the sidelines of that market.

This is quite a nice place to hang out - always an opportunity to learn from each other, and possibly make new friends.

That reminds me: if anyone is interested in meeting at the NYINC 2015 show, let me know. I will likely be there Wednesday evening until Saturday morning. I am willing to consider bringing some specific pieces from my collection for show-and-tell; just PM me and I'll think about it.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question-

expanded

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I suppose I would fit into two categories:
    (1) Become more specialized, in the same overall field.
    (2) Expanded slightly, but I still collect what I started out on.

I started out collecting all papal/Vatican coins and medals, though I quickly dumped the coins to focus on the medals. After a couple of years, I further refined my focus to papal medals up until 1740, liquidating all medals after the pontificate of Clement XII due to what I perceived as a degradation in the quality of artistic workmanship. I also decided to skip any of the restitutional medals, which I tend to find tedious and of rather poor quality artistically.

A couple of years later I again decided to modify my focus, this time expanding to include all Italian Renaissance and baroque medals. A few French medals have also managed to make their way into the collection, and I am open to other Renaissance medals, such as German and Netherlandish, but have not yet acquired any of those.

Having said that, I, like others, can't attribute these changes to any inspiration from this forum, especially since very few people here collect the same items as me. However, I greatly enjoy learning about a variety of topics from all of the members here, and would certainly blame the forum if I were to jump into another collecting sphere.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collecting tastes have changed only slightly in the nine years since discovering this forum. I'm not sure quite how much credit (or blame) can go to the forum for making the changes, since I'm also involved in a couple of coin clubs for nearly twice as long as I've been on the forums and the clubs have certainly been instrumental in expanding my numismatic horizons.

I'm slightly more likely to buy a nice token or medallion (especially a token) with my money, rather than a coin. I'm slightly more likely to choose quality over quantity. Corollary to that second point is an increase in the maximum price I'm prepared to pay for a single coin, rising much more than coin prices themselves have risen.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • When I started collecting in 1995 I was very much into varieties. To me they were the ultimate rarity.
    I really had zero interest in world coins. When I came back into the hobby about 2 years ago I decided
    to pursue high end coins of my heritage.

Now after seeing the beauty of so many world coins displayed here and the history the usually
    accompanies the pics. I am truly amazed at the beauty. Also to see ancients in conditions
    like they were just minted is unbelievable. Coins handed out to the first visitors to the coliseum.
    I can only say wow. I never knew coins like this existed.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread topic. I think this place has absolutely influenced my collecting style, passions, and direction. I am still traveling down the taler path as my main focus but have decided to specialize in german state sede vacante material as a result of experiences around here. With that said, I have undoubtedly gained an appreciation for the intricacies of the different corridors of the hobby. The single most influential confidant has undoubtedly been Zohar for over 8 years and counting. His passion, curiosity, drive, compassion, personal concern, and appreciation for historical context certainly have influenced my own style. I challenge anybody to read posts from Zohar, as well as TwoKopeiki, LordM, SmEagle1795, or MrEureka over the last few years and not get excited by their respective passions and domain knowledge. The variety of quality material from EVP and the continual eye for quality from JCMhouston continually have me questioning if I shouldn’t expand my radar to other areas. The quality posts and offline support from brg5658 and 3Mark have certainly helped me gain confidence on topics that were beyond my experiences with helpful opinions and perspectives. Perhaps the biggest unexpected “spark” for a new series has originated from the deep knowledge posts and excellent historical perspectives in the Papal States area shared by STLNATS and Iosephus. I know that I am overlooking many virtual faces that have influenced by collecting path and preferences. It takes dozens and dozens of personalities to make this place special.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The single most influential confidant has undoubtedly been Zohar for over 8 years and counting. His passion, curiosity, drive, compassion, personal concern, and appreciation for historical context certainly have influenced my own style. I challenge anybody to read posts from Zohar, as well as TwoKopeiki, LordM, SmEagle1795, or MrEureka over the last few years and not get excited by their respective passions and domain knowledge

Really have to agree with this observation - its a fact - as dark-side doesn't have as much volume as liteside which is overwhelming so the contributors are greatly appreciated here.
    The liteside seems to have a much greater offering of passionate posts related to industry matters than the dark side.

<< <i>The liteside seems to have a much greater offering of passionate posts related to industry matters than the dark side. >>

I peek there once in a while and it comes across as a somewhat aggressive, competitive venue. Definitely nice coins and many posts, yet quite a few bullies controlling the vibe. We have done a good job keeping this place relatively small and communal in its approach to its members and sharing of knowledge.
    New Early Dollar die marriage discovery. Hope the liteside will rally around that thread.

• I have an innocuous question: Who are the dark and lite sides? Are these dealers? Apologies in advance if I sound like some bumpkin.
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
    Liteside - US Coin Forum. Darkside - World and Ancient (unless separate)
  • Thanks Zohar. I thought I was missing out on the latest Star Wars commemorative coins!
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before being seduced by The Dark Side of this forum earlier this year, I stuck to U.S. coins; Morgan dollars, Barber and earlier half dollars, and Indian Head Cents.

I still collect those coins, but I am now also collecting ancients (denarii of each Ceaser/ruler), along with Great Britain (one for each king/queen). I'm also looking at ancient Greece.

Another impetus for my expansion into British coins, is my interest in ancestry. I've traced my ancestry back thru Robert II of Scotland and King John of England; and have picked up coins of each of them in the past few months.

Steve
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Fot the moment I changed from collecting coins into mainly greek paper currency ,but many notes depict ancient greek coins image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Ans: Nope.

I've always had several "core" collections going and I've found that my interest has rotated periodically between them, usually due to the lack of availability of material. For instance, I exclusively collected folles of RIC VI for over a decade until a change in my job triggered an interest in US national bank notes. The opening of eastern Europe and a flood of affordable material renewed my interest in Latvian currency and postal history about this same time. With the new millennium there just didn't seem to be that much "new material" coming onto the market in these areas beyond picking off the odd target of opportunity so combined with another change of job my interest moved toward Vatican/Papal material (which seemed relatively cheap). More recently, I have limited my papal interest to a few areas (a silver set of annual medals from 1800 and sets of jubilee and Lateran possession coins/medals of all periods) as new NBN from "my" areas have begun to pop up. I don't think any of these changes had much to do with the forum but have "virtually" met several knowledge folks (some of whom no longer participate here) over the years which has been nice to share and vet info.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    nice to see so many ''expanded'' interests
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    The decision to move from U.S. to world coins was my own, but interacting with many folks on these forums definitely helped me focus and develop my interests.

The breadth and depth of opportunities for numismatic study in world coins is immense and I'm having a blast!