Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Probus BI Aurelianianus

This one "popped" in terms of design and condition.

ROMAN EMPIRE. Probus, 276-282 AD. Billon Aurelianianus, 23mm, 4.04gr. Rome mint. Obv: Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing left, a spear across right shoulder, and holding a shield. Rev:ROMA AETERNAE, hexastyle temple with the image of Roma inside, holding Victory and a sceptre, R in exergue. RIC 196. Scarce, possibly unlisted variety, apparently lacking the radiate crown. Wonderfully patinated, conditionally scarce specimen. NGC MS 5/5, 4/5.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent portrait.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great example.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This one "popped" in terms of design and condition.

ROMAN EMPIRE. Probus, 276-282 AD. Billon Aurelianianus, 23mm, 4.04gr. Rome mint. Obv: Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing left, a spear across right shoulder, and holding a shield. Rev:ROMA AETERNAE, hexastyle temple with the image of Roma inside, holding Victory and a sceptre, R in exergue. RIC 196. Scarce, possibly unlisted variety, apparently lacking the radiate crown. Wonderfully patinated, conditionally scarce specimen. NGC MS 5/5, 4/5.
    >>

Very pretty Probus. There was a ton of variety for the relatively few years of this emperor. Congrats.

BTW, maybe a bit hard to see, but the radiate crown is superimposed on the helmet. The base looks like a diadem and there are three clear "spikes."

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you STLNATS.

<< <i>BTW, maybe a bit hard to see, but the radiate crown is superimposed on the helmet. The base looks like a diadem and there are three clear "spikes." >>

I see the spikes you are right. Not as prominent as some others I have seen.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's an excellent portrait. >>

Yes you can see the details in his beard! Fantastic condition.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    The details are great and that's certainly not the usual reverse! Like image
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Z, I have only seen a few of these come my way and I do not have an example of this coin, much less one as nice as your new example. I am a big fan of the hexastyle temple reverses and like it was mentioned, this is not one of the more common reverses that you see for Probus. The obverse is a thing of beauty with a ridiculously nice strike and portrait. I think it is remarkable to have this coin in this condition in general because the billion pieces seem to really deteriorate badly in general.

This is a great coin for all of those reasons, especially more so because it is a billion piece. Yet another coin added to my wish list after seeing it here.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very nice coin!!
  • Options

loving that portrait
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a ton of variety for the relatively few years of this emperor. >>

Yes, there are 9730 different varieties of Probus Antoniniani listed in the Excel workbook created by a collector!
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/probus.xls
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NEWP: Probus BI Aurelianianus. >>

Uh huh huh. Uhhh huh huh huh.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss those guys!

"I can see her braces...Uh huh huh. Uhhh huh huh huh."