Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1932-1933 Poland 10zt

I have always thought the design of this coin was fantastic and perhaps underrated in terms of being appreciated for its artistic merit. The princess portrait has much detail and the Polish Eagle and Art Moderne lettering truly captures the times. In doing some further research into this coin, I note that our hosts have yet to grade either a 1932 or 1933 MS65 or higher. I would have thought given the interest in Polish coins that one would have been graded 65 and possibly higher.

Just some thoughts- I know we have several Polish collectors here that might offer some insight

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't make me show it again. I mean, nobody wants to see it again, do they? image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the one you showed here was a proof...

• Options
    Well...it is. So...you don't want me to post it again? image

image But I also have one of the few MS examples of the 10s graded by a TPG:

My thoughts about the TPG pop reports are conflicted. One one hand, if I understand it correctly, European collectors (collectors in Europe, not North Americans who collect European coinage) tend not to care about slabbed coins. Some may even see them as a negative. Coins in collections built by "real" collectors tend to be higher end pieces. So if those who hold higher end pieces don't care about or don't want TPG coins, the pops don't tell the real story of the number of surviving high end coins.

But on the other hand, I suspect these pieces were used and abused like few other series: They were released just before the war. They saw battle, six years of occupation by the Germans and Soviets, both of whom appeared to want to obliterate anything Polish. Then 45 years under Communism where hard currency would seem to have been pretty sought-after. Destroyed, intentionally melted, lost, damaged, endlessly circulated. Certainly didn't help the pops.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't make me show it again. I mean, nobody wants to see it again, do they? image >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I feel exactly the same way about the Lithuanian coins of the same time period.
    I am thinking prices realized at auction will entice others to have them graded
    and put up for auction.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting an attractive MS example- the picture is worth a thousand words

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my absolute favourite E. European coins - I am actually accumulating those.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    But on the other hand, I suspect these pieces were used and abused like few other series: They were released just before the war.

+1. I don't know the exchange rate at the time, but suspect these represented a meaningful amount of money for most of the population. Relatively few that could tuck away mint fresh pieces at the time and probably fewer collectors interested in current coins made for circulation. And then they would have had to survived WWII and 50 years, more or less, of soviet rule. Kinda amazing that any are still in the wonderful condition of Weiss' coin.

edited to add, another good example is the Ls 5 of Latvia. These are very common, but not in true high grade. There was a Ls 5 banknote in 1926, but this was a limited (and now rare) issue so the coins probably saw some use until the introduction of the 1940 Ls note. In any case, large numbers were seized when the Russians occupied the country at the start of WWII. Many of these came back onto the market when Russia replaced the USSR (presumably having been stored in vaults with a variety of other seized coins since the 1940s) but almost all seem to have been at least "gently" circulated.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I'm inclined to think there just aren't many true MS survivors.

The coins are not rare by any stretch. But I've been watching eBay for these pieces for many years now. The vast majority are barely better than melt grade. Most of the nicer pieces exhibit pretty obvious cleaning. There are a few nicer AU examples to be had, but genuinely solid MS pieces are very elusive. And gem pieces are almost unheard of. I count just three pieces in 65 at NGC across all dates and mintmarks, with none higher.

The proof (also known as the world's most beautiful coin). Possibly unique, R8 in any event:

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty and very nice to see such wonderful design in 20th century coinage.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty and very nice to see such wonderful design in 20th century coinage. >>

+ a bunch. Also demonstrates rather dramatically that circulating coins (i.e., intended for monetary use/everyday commerce) don't have to be boring or of unimaginative designs.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!