Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Couple of Roman NEWPS - New Image Added

One picked up last week that just arrived, and one from the Heritage auctions.

I'll have to get a better image of this one when I have time.

Constantine II, as Caesar (A.D. 317-337), Bronze Follis, Treveri mint (Trier, Germany), second officina, A.D. 317-318, bare-headed draped and cuirassed bust of Constantine seen from the back, FL CL CONSTANTINVS IVN N C, rev., Prince laureate standing right in military dress, holding globe and spear, PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, BTR in exergue, F T in field (RIC 172), reverse slightly off centre, otherwise practically as struck, a superb specimen, R4 in R.I.C..

Got to shoot a little better pic tonight, the first one was the sellers pic.

And this one I felt I just had to have, I mean come on, it's got a Pegasus! Actually I am starting to lean toward forming a collection of Pegasuses, or is it Pegasi? A little off center but not enough to bother me.

Q. Titius (ca. 89 BC). AR denarius (4.08 gm). Rome. Male head right with long pointed beard, wearing winged diadem / Pegasus to right, RCV 238. Crawford 341/1. RSC 1. Toned. NGC AU 4/5 - 5/5

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super strike on that Republican piece- the pegasus looks ready to fly right off the reverse.

Hmm... reminds me... I have a Roman newp of my own I haven't posted...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins! I really like the Pegasus, and I'll take the old-collection cabinet toning over slightly better centering.

<< <i>Actually I am starting to lean toward forming a collection of Pegasuses, or is it Pegasi? >>

There is only one Pegasus as it is the name of a particular mythological horse, so it technically doesn't have an "official" plural. There are other "winged horses" depicted on coins but they are just known generically. However, based on the popular ancient coin firm's name, I think "Pegasi" should be acceptable, although Pegasuses is probably more accurate (and a mouthful) image

Regardless of the pluralization, I wholeheartedly agree with your collection plans! There are many aesthetic coins which feature Pegasus (I carefully avoided the plural there image )
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just going off the image, the follis doesn't move me much. The denarius, however, seems very lovely to me. Yes, it is a little off-center but IMO that just adds character.

And, the plural of pegasus is pegasusususususus. image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plural in Latin would be the "i"...
    I like the first not for the artistry but rather for the symbolism of the time and how it reflected the pugnacious Constantini and their dominance military and otherwise of the world in the early to mid-fourth century.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    That Q. Titius is exceptional for the issue. These typically come flatly struck and well off center.

Nice buy.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed nice buy enjoy image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭