Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Peter I Leopold, Grand Duke of Tuscany

5 May 1747 – 1 March 1792. Born Peter Leopold Joseph Anton Joachim Pius Gotthard, he was Holy Roman Emperor and King of Hungary and Bohemia from 1790 to 1792, Archduke of Austria and Grand Duke of Tuscany from 1765 to 1790. He was a son of Emperor Francis I and his wife, Empress Maria Theresa, thus the brother of Marie Antoinette.

On 9 July, 1737 Gian Gastone of the House of Medici died childless, and the rule passed to Francesco II Stefano (Francis I, House of Habsburg-Lorraine, HRE), who was the great-great-great-grandson of Francesco I (brother of Cosimo I, the first Medici ruler of Tuscany). Pietro Leopoldo I (Peter Leopold) was the second son of Francesco II Stefano. In 1761, with the death of the elder son (Charles), it was decided that Peter Leopold would succeed his father as Grand Duke upon Francis' death in 1765.

As luck would have it, I have four coins from Tuscany and they are all from the rule of Peter I Leopold and from the Pisa mint.

The first is a 1780 2 Paoli (KM-18) from the collection of Eric P. Newman. It has the typical deep (but not extremely dark) envelope toning that characterizes much of the EPN collection. For those interested, this was graded MS63 by NGC.

The second coin, 1787 5 Paoli (KM-19a), I acquired from the recent Whitman Baltimore show, and is a fantastic coin, lightly toned and very lustrous.

The third coin, 1787 10 Paoli (Dav-1518) was once a PCGS Spotlight Coin of the Week. The odd line from the chin almost to the rim near 6 o'clock is actually only faintly visible on the coin and is from a light die crack.

The fourth coin is the 1789 sibling of the previous coin, and is a just-miss gem.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments