Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPs: Tiny Greeks & a Zuz

The first two are super TINY and I didn't realize how small they were until I picked them out raw prior to sending to NGC. These are of the earlier coinage made. What is quite amazing is the minute size of the planchet when compared with the obverse and reverse engraving. Not only a challenge engraving such tiny designs but getting then centered is quite a feat. Also added another 3rd year revolt Judaean Bar Kochba Zuz to pair with my year 2 - Zuz Year 2

Mysia, Cyzicus AR Diobol. c. 550-500. 11mm, 1.33gr. Obv: Forepart of boar left; to right, tunny upward . Rev: Head of roaring lion left within incuse square. Von Fritze II 9; SNG France 361-366. NGC MS* 5/5, 5/5

IONIA, Miletus. AR Diobol. 10 mm, 1.01gr., c. 525-475 BC. Obv: Forepart of lion left, head reverted. Rev: Stellate pattern within incuse square. SNG Kayhan 468ff. NGC MS 5/5, 4/5.

Judaea. Bar Kokhba War, 132-135 CE. AR Zuz. 18mm. 2.98gr., undated, attributed to year 3 (134/5 CE). Obv: Hebrew inscription of five letters (Simon) in two lines, within a wreath of thin branches wrapped around eight almonds, medallion at top, tendrils at bottom, there are a pair of dots, one inside and one outside, between each section. The order of the letters in the second line has changed. Rev: Fluted jug, handle at left, palm branch; Hebrew around (For the freedom of Jerusalem). Hendin 726. AJC II, 275, 66. Mildenberg 239, 133. Struck over a Trajan denarius with clear visible traces of undertype. NGC Ch MS 4/5, 5/5.

Comments